Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vanderdeath posted:

You may joke, but there's a lot you could read into The Witcher's setting w/r/t race relations and colonialism. Humans are the colonizers in that world and effectively enslaved and erased the Elves' cultures, pushed the Dwarves farther into the mountainous regions along with the Gnomish, etc. The prevailing superpower on The Continent is Nilfgaard, whose language, royal titles and manners derive from Elven society even though their ancestors brutally murdered them.

There's legitimately a lot to unpack there.

Alaois posted:

yeah The Witcher is possibly the worst possible example to pick of "heh wouldn't it be fuckin STUPID to read politics into this game?"

With regards to actual colonialism you've got a fair point, considering it is a major theme in the games. But apart from Geralt taking a couple of exceptions to sentient beings, monsters in the Witcher world are an infestation that need to be exterminated. Monsters are no more natives to the continent than Gnomes, Dwarfs, Elves or Humans. They have all come from different worlds via the conjunction, and any species that were native to the Witcher world have long since gone extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

New Butt Order posted:

The thing I like about the colonialism bit of that Monster Hunter review is that you could append it to the end of basically any RPG review and it'd work just as well and cause the same reaction.

Does this mean it's bad criticism or does it mean all RPG protagonists are kinda hosed up if you think about it? I don't care. Probably both.

Definitely both.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Arcsquad12 posted:

With regards to actual colonialism you've got a fair point, considering it is a major theme in the games. But apart from Geralt taking a couple of exceptions to sentient beings, monsters in the Witcher world are an infestation that need to be exterminated. Monsters are no more natives to the continent than Gnomes, Dwarfs, Elves or Humans. They have all come from different worlds via the conjunction, and any species that were native to the Witcher world have long since gone extinct.

Eh, I'd argue that the Dwarves, Elves, etc. have way, way more of a claim to ancestral rights on the Continent. Dwarves and Gnomes are natives and Elves have also been there for several thousands of years before the Conjunction that brought humans.

Also the last Conjunction brought monsters, but a large number of those monsters are/were sapient (the Elder Vampires, Godlings, Bruxas, etc.) which makes their extermination much more troubling. The exception being the Elder Vampires since they're basically Super Saiyans in that setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vampires really only make themselves a problem except in special circumstances. The ones that actively attack humans get put down while the higher ones rarely dabble in human affairs. Plus those sentient monsters are the ones geralt tends to make exceptions for. But something like a drowner or a bilge hag by their very nature pose a threat to society, even moreso something like a fiend or a draconid.

He'd have a better claim to ranting about colonialism in Witcher surely, but that just emphasizes that trying to apply it to monster hunter is really stupid when the text refutes his argument.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Isn't this basically a Thermian Argument?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Spark That Bled posted:

Isn't this basically a Thermian Argument?

There's a difference between "there's an in-setting justification for this aspect of the text and so it isn't actually bad" and "this isn't actually what's happening in the text in the first place". The former is a rationalization for some aspect that you acknowledge to be present in something, the latter is a counterargument for why something (which can be either positive or negative) isn't true about a text in the first place.

A Thermian argument is "it's there, yeah, but isn't bad because-", but these posts (either the MH stuff or the Witcher stuff, not sure which specifically you mean) are an argument for why a colonialism read of the given work isn't accurate in the first place. And if a person is arguing that something is in some sense allegorical, it's completely fair for someone else to bring in pieces of the text, even in-setting details (edit: so long as they're actually present within the text, and they're prominent enough that they're not just offhand minutiae but are clearly a significant part of the work in some sense), that run counter to the allegory as a way of arguing against that.

Idran fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 29, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Motto posted:

tbf that is literally true and something observed even before current social media got popular. SA's own retsupurae eventually moved away from making mock videos in part because some fraction of the audience would go and give people poo poo directly. Heck, even in mockthreads that usually only concern dozens of posters you have to lay down "don't touch the poop", which inevitably gets broken and thread locked.
The Portal of Evil existed and didn't really mess with anyone for years until Chet and Kthor closed it because the weirdness of the internet became pretty much upfront and didn't need to be pointed out.

As for that Monster Hunter review, it's pretty bad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Imagine four velociraptors on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the velociraptor nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of velociraptors and takes the place of the first velociraptor. The formerly first velociraptor becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Colonialism works the same way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Never played Witcher, only BioWare's various franchises, Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Oh and Fable. The only one of those devoid of nasty implications is Fable.

Seems to me fantasy games or RPGs have a lot of obvious real world inspiration or themes and that would obviously include politics and colonialism.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dragon Age and Mass Effect both feature races of people are explicitly discriminated against in parallels to discrimination actual groups of people have faced. I've played a quarter of the way through the first Witcher years ago, and I recall discrimination against non-humans was a somewhat major recurring theme.

I have no idea how people look at video games and claim they're apolitical.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Roth posted:

Dragon Age and Mass Effect both feature races of people are explicitly discriminated against in parallels to discrimination actual groups of people have faced. I've played a quarter of the way through the first Witcher years ago, and I recall discrimination against non-humans was a somewhat major recurring theme.

Dunno if you misread me but I was saying the opposite. DA and ME are so intensely political that you'd have to be blinder than I am to not see it.

It's one of the things I like most about Dragon Age, actually. City Elf and Dwarf Noble Origin were so good. And much as some hate DA2, it deals a lot with refugees being discriminated against, exploited and abused.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

Dunno if you misread me but I was saying the opposite. DA and ME are so intensely political that you'd have to be blinder than I am to not see it.

It's one of the things I like most about Dragon Age, actually. City Elf and Dwarf Noble Origin were so good. And much as some hate DA2, it deals a lot with refugees being discriminated against, exploited and abused.

Nah, not accusing you. Just expressing general astonishment that there's such a strong contingent of people angry about politics in games despite some of the most best/popular games featuring them pretty heavily.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
e: nvm

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 29, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

Never played Witcher, only BioWare's various franchises, Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Oh and Fable. The only one of those devoid of nasty implications is Fable.

Seems to me fantasy games or RPGs have a lot of obvious real world inspiration or themes and that would obviously include politics and colonialism.

Sapkowski's original Witcher novels are heavily inspired by Polish history and folklore. The divisions of the northern kingdoms and the encroaching threat of a germanic inspired empire are pretty hard to ignore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sapkowski's original Witcher novels are heavily inspired by Polish history and folklore. The divisions of the northern kingdoms and the encroaching threat of a germanic inspired empire are pretty hard to ignore.

I don't deny it. I just don't know anything about either incarnation of Witcher and i was actually kinda curious if the books were as political as the games were given that there do seem to be substantive differences between the two. (At least according to the two fanbases I've seen arguing with one another over the years.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Final episode of my show - I reviewed Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't deny it. I just don't know anything about either incarnation of Witcher and i was actually kinda curious if the books were as political as the games were given that there do seem to be substantive differences between the two. (At least according to the two fanbases I've seen arguing with one another over the years.)

The books are very political. At the same time that Geralt and Ciri's adventure is going on, there are frequent cutaway segments that feature other characters as they maneuver the pieces in a huge political and military chess match. Most of the differences in the games come down to Geralt having a somewhat softer characterization than in the books and the prevalence of monsters. In the books they are almost extinct, hence the notion that Witchers are becoming outdated. For gameplay purposes, this is changed so they are loving everywhere, though the games do try to justify their presence by being set in regions either untamed by humanity or in polluted areas where monsters thrive.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Roth posted:

Nah, not accusing you. Just expressing general astonishment that there's such a strong contingent of people angry about politics in games despite some of the most best/popular games featuring them pretty heavily.

I don't think it's always that people have issues with games having political themes in it. I think in most cases, it's more-so that people get annoyed when games are really heavy-handed or tactless when they do it (MrBTongue touched on this in his video on Dragon Age 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr_z45NVyI). I also think the reason why people get annoyed is that it comes across as the reviewer or writer not so much talking about the game, but using it as soapbox or just to grab attention.

For example, I would think that a game like Forza Horizon 3 wouldn't really have political themes, but if you were to write an article about it, I imagine you might say something about the automotive industry, branding and advertising, or environmentalism. I wouldn't expect an article about Forza Horizon 3 to bring up the topic of the Australian government being against same-sex marriage, but that is an article that exists.

Waypoint | Forza Horizon 3’ Depicts a Better Australia Than Australians Deserve posted:

This is not a feeling I'm entirely comfortable with. On the same day my review code for Forza Horizon 3 appeared in my inbox, our current prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull—who unseated previous gargoyle prime minister Tony Abbott during a now-traditional vicious leadership spill in September 2015—introduced a much-maligned same-sex marriage plebiscite legislation in the parliament. This plebiscite, proposed by a prime minister who has openly stated that he supports same-sex marriage, will let the public vote on whether they think same-sex marriage should be allowed or not. Every existing poll indicating that Australians are ready and willing to accept it; yet apparently this is still a matter for debate. Funding will be given to parties on either side of the debate, meaning that we're likely to be bombarded soon with government-funded campaigns opposing the rights of same-sex couples. Bigots will be given a large forum, and funding, to voice their hate. Despite arguments that this will be a costly course of action, one that could potentially endanger the lives of vulnerable queer Australians and ultimately slow the process, our government is stubbornly insisting upon it.

See also: Polgyon's 'politics in the Philippines' comment from the Rock Band 4 article and maybe the Tropico 5 review. (though that's certainly debatable)

Now, on the flip-side, if you wanted to write a video game article and tie it to the topic of the American police force, you could write an article about Daryl F. Gates and how his involvement with development of Police Quest: Open Season potentially affected some of the elements in the game, and that would be a lot more applicable.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Roth posted:

I find the use of fantasy or sci-fi racism as an analogue for real world prejudice comes with its own heap of problems. It's a well meaning idea on the surface "we can say all humans are equal so people can make a character like them and see themselves in the game, but still tackle real world issues!" (And of course, this happens outside games as well) But then they end up soft-erasing minority voices, experiences, and characters from their story because the cast ends up all white. So the party member who could've been a black person talking about racial prejudice is now an elf with white skin talking about similar things but with fantasy words thrown in, but then they forget to add actual black people to the cast.

It also facilitates soft cultural whitewashing where every minority they do have shares some vague fantasy cultural perspective based on the studio's own politics and cultural experiences, rather than acknowledging that queer americans and black americans and Indian americans and so on all have varying cultural touchstones, outlooks, and manners of interacting with their peers. At best, other cultural viewpoints are depicted as some vague foreignness usually with European (often French) derived influences, rather than subcultural phenomena in their own culture. So sure, if they remembered to add a given character, you can "see yourself" in the game, but it's a version of you that fits neatly into the mainstream culture of wherever the game is from rather than the you that reclaims slurs or participates in drag or speaks in a regional dialect or actively does things to assert your identity that pushes yourself away from white or straight or cis culture.

Which isn't to say it can't be used to tell good stories, but I feel like "okay but what if in our property the Elves were, like, refugees!!?" tends to end up just making an attempt to address a real issue an erasure of the actual people they're trying to make you think about.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
All those JRPGs with secret lost royal family protagonists are clearly signs that game developers yearn to return to feudalism and monarchy. :thunk:

(please don't reply to this with 'this but unironically' i am already being unironic)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I find the use of fantasy or sci-fi racism as an analogue for real world prejudice comes with its own heap of problems. It's a well meaning idea on the surface "we can say all humans are equal so people can make a character like them and see themselves in the game, but still tackle real world issues!" (And of course, this happens outside games as well) But then they end up soft-erasing minority voices, experiences, and characters from their story because the cast ends up all white. So the party member who could've been a black person talking about racial prejudice is now an elf with white skin talking about similar things but with fantasy words thrown in, but then they forget to add actual black people to the cast.

It also facilitates soft cultural whitewashing where every minority they do have shares some vague fantasy cultural perspective based on the studio's own politics and cultural experiences, rather than acknowledging that queer americans and black americans and Indian americans and so on all have varying cultural touchstones, outlooks, and manners of interacting with their peers. At best, other cultural viewpoints are depicted as some vague foreignness usually with European (often French) derived influences, rather than subcultural phenomena in their own culture. So sure, if they remembered to add a given character, you can "see yourself" in the game, but it's a version of you that fits neatly into the mainstream culture of wherever the game is from rather than the you that reclaims slurs or participates in drag or speaks in a regional dialect or actively does things to assert your identity that pushes yourself away from white or straight or cis culture.

Which isn't to say it can't be used to tell good stories, but I feel like "okay but what if in our property the Elves were, like, refugees!!?" tends to end up just making an attempt to address a real issue an erasure of the actual people they're trying to make you think about.

I remember reading something where someone said that one of the problems with fantasy/sci-fi races is that they sometimes fall into pit of stereotyping. Like the thing of 'all dwarves drink' or 'elves are all in tune with nature and hate humans' or 'Klingons are all about honor'. It's the problem that they tend to depict these different species or races as being very one-note.

What I'm saying is that Hermey was a very progressive example of breaking elf stereotyping.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

I also think the reason why people get annoyed is that it comes across as the reviewer or writer not so much talking about the game, but using it as soapbox or just to grab attention.

For example, I would think that a game like Forza Horizon 3 wouldn't really have political themes, but if you were to write an article about it, I imagine you might say something about the automotive industry, branding and advertising, or environmentalism. I wouldn't expect an article about Forza Horizon 3 to bring up the topic of the Australian government being against same-sex marriage, but that is an article that exists.

What that Forza 3 article is an example of is the reflex pushback against the idea of a writer talking about personal experiences with something even when their view on it isn't negative.

"I played a good game but here's some things it made me think" is, somehow, out of line or something.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think it's always that people have issues with games having political themes in it. I think in most cases, it's more-so that people get annoyed when games are really heavy-handed or tactless when they do it (MrBTongue touched on this in his video on Dragon Age 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr_z45NVyI). I also think the reason why people get annoyed is that it comes across as the reviewer or writer not so much talking about the game, but using it as soapbox or just to grab attention.

This seems to be a common thing in journalism. Steady jobs for journalists are thin on the ground these days compared to the number of people wanting to break into the field, so a lot of those who desperately want to write about politics or some other important topic instead end up covering something far outside their own interests in order to pay the bills. The good ones are professional enough to do the research and write quality articles anyway, but others… not so much.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

ungulateman posted:

All those JRPGs with secret lost royal family protagonists are clearly signs that game developers yearn to return to feudalism and monarchy. :thunk:

(please don't reply to this with 'this but unironically' i am already being unironic)

Regicide is a moral act.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Max Wilco posted:

See, this just makes me think that Waypoint is a joke review site that people are taking seriously for some reason.

Just a shame that's probably wrong.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ungulateman posted:

this but unironically

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Fantasy is preoccupied with the idea of royalty because fantasy is preoccupied with finding easy solutions to complex problems. “Dethrone the evil monarch and crown a good one, and their wise rule will solve all the problems in the land” wraps up a story much more neatly than “Dethrone the evil monarch and try to cobble together a functioning government while preventing other evil people from taking advantage of the power vacuum”.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks for doing videos for all these years. Your dramatic Jack Chick reading still makes me giggle whenever I see it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

See, this just makes me think that Waypoint is a joke review site that people are taking seriously for some reason.

Just a shame that's probably wrong.

That Police Quest article was actually pretty deece.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

That Police Quest article was actually pretty deece.

Yeah, it was really good. I don't remember where I saw it, but I posted it in the "cops being shits" thread to great fanfare.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Nice to see you back here!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bakeneko posted:

Fantasy is preoccupied with the idea of royalty because fantasy is preoccupied with finding easy solutions to complex problems. “Dethrone the evil monarch and crown a good one, and their wise rule will solve all the problems in the land” wraps up a story much more neatly than “Dethrone the evil monarch and try to cobble together a functioning government while preventing other evil people from taking advantage of the power vacuum”.

Most fantasy also tends to be based on the Middle Ages,.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Which makes me wonder: Are there any fantasy settings that that are actually set in the actual (Well with added magic\dragon\etc.) middle ages? The only one that comes to mind is Darklands.
Most i know are either set on their own worlds or some kind of post apocalypse where most technology is lost but magic returns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

englerp posted:

Which makes me wonder: Are there any fantasy settings that that are actually set in the actual (Well with added magic\dragon\etc.) middle ages? The only one that comes to mind is Darklands.
Most i know are either set on their own worlds or some kind of post apocalypse where most technology is lost but magic returns.

The Middle Ages themselves were post-apocalyptic, though, as in living in the wreckage of the Roman empire. Sure, the Romans didn't have robots, but they had indoor plumbing, aqueducts, paved roads, an advanced legal code, etc.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

englerp posted:

that would actually own

the d&d thread in td had a kewl take on this in regards to law enforcement, reputation, and wandering adventurers:

quote:

My most extensive study was on late-medieval London, but the general setup is very similar to other English cities and reasonably portable to other Northern European cities. Things get different especially in Italy, but a lot of the general concepts of how an urban society functioned are pretty similar, again.

London at the time my research covered had a population between 50-60,000. To enforce the law, there were two sheriffs (I can tell you more about them if you want) who also had to preside over a court and enforce writs as well as worrying about criminals. They had perhaps 200 constables to help them, and 'constable' here means 'minor civic official' not 'armed cop'. Every ward in London did keep a night watch, but again these were citizen volunteers who went around the streets looking for nightwalkers (about which more later) rather than anything we would recognize as police.

Sheriff was, by the way, such a pain in the rear end job that people would regularly try to get out of doing it if they were elected, and sometimes had to be threatened with a fine to get them to serve. The main reason outside of that that people put up with it at all was that serving a term as Sheriff was an important thing to do if you wanted to be mayor one day.

So, medieval cities had nothing that we would recognize as a coercive police force. How did they make people behave? This was essentially what my thesis was about.

Social shaming was one of the primary mechanisms. Basically, to succeed in urban society (and probably medieval society generally, but I'm gonna try to stay focused) you needed to have a good reputation. If people got to thinking you were a dishonest shady character they would want nothing to do with you, wouldn't sell to you or buy from you, wouldn't rent you property, won't want you in their place. So in a lot of ways, you behave because you need your neighbours to think well of you. Because you need that to get by.

(We think this is especially the case for a lot of ordinary people because it seems like a lot of the medieval economy was pretty cash-free. People didn't have a lot of cash money. Most business happened through networks of credit, which really depends on people thinking that you're a reliable dude who's good for it.)

A lot of that is I guess more 'shunning' than shaming, but shame-based punishment definitely was a thing as well. Having your crimes publicly proclaimed, so that everyone would know you were a whore or a seller of rancid butter or a nightwalker (it was basically assumed that anyone out after dark was up to no good) would be part of it, a lot of times they would take you through the main streets of town with either musicians or people banging pots and pans to attract attention, sometimes you'd be seated backwards on a horse or dragged on a hurdle. Sometimes there would be some visual indicator of what you did (one of my favourite cases was this one where a guy had been siphoning water out of the public conduit, and he was supposed to be taken through the streets with a little model conduit on his head, however they were going to make that work) and sometimes you'd be put in stocks in a public place for a while at the end of it.

The intention here was to make your crime very very public, which destroys your reputation by letting everyone know who the dishonest jerk is. There's also an obvious deterrent factor - you don't want this to happen to you, so you'll avoid doing the kinds of things that get punished in this way.

Sometimes people were punished by being branded with a letter indicating their crime and/or banished from the city; we think those were usually repeat offenders but it's not always possible to tell. Banishment would have been a major thing for ordinary people because starting over in a new community would be very hard, especially if you were poor - no-one knows you, no-one trusts you, no-one really wants to hire you or have much to do with you. There have been studies done that show that when people moved, they usually tried either go places where they already knew someone, or move in a group of friends and family who could look out for each other.

Now, there would absolutely have been people in any kind of community who are not respectable, will never be respectable, and know perfectly well that they will never be respectable. (Realistically this is where most D&D parties are likely to fall, especially at low level) For these people, none of the shunning/shaming works, because their reputation is poo poo, and can't get any worse. What's life like for these people?

Unfortunately it's hard to know, because these are the people who are least likely to show up in our records. However, they would have gotten by dealing with other non-respectable people. You could certainly survive. But the thing is that respectable people, the wealthy ones with the nice shops and influence in the community - they will avoid you like the plague. It would damage their own reputation to even be seen associating with you.

Outside of shunning/shaming stuff, fines were the main other kind of punishment. If you were fined for selling shoddy merchandise or being drunk in the streets or eavesdropping (seriously) or selling your poo poo for higher than the set prices or for being a vagabond and didn't or couldn't pay, then you might actually get put in jail. Usually the idea was that if you were in prison, this would motivate you to use whatever connections you might have to clear your debt. Obviously the very poor could never do this, so they don't usually bother with jail for them - kick them out of the city if they're causing a real problem.

We might expect that under these circumstances most people would have no experience with the law. This is far from the case, though. It seems very likely that almost everybody, all the way down the social ladder, would have been involved in a legal case in some way at some point in their life. It just worked quite differently. If you had someone who stole from you or didn't pay for work you did or hosed your wife or whatever, 99% of the time you gotta take 'em to court your own self. If they don't come in voluntarily (which they might, to defend their rep) then the court will issue an order that they have to; if they still refuse then that's the sort of thing a Sheriff will eventually deal with, or they might just declare the person an outlaw. (Outlaw means all your property is forfeit to the Crown and anyone and everyone can seize or kill you with impunity for a reward. It sucks.)

This gets back to the social reputation thing because how almost every medieval court case worked was that each side brought in a bunch of people to swear to their side of the story. Like, let's imagine that John the Weaver says that Samwise the Shepherd promised to sell him 5 bags of wool for 15 pennies, and Samwise says no you promised me 25 pennies. There's almost certainly not going to be any evidence to look at, because everyone's illiterate and so nothing was written down. So what to do?

Well, John brings in a bunch of people who all say that John the Weaver is an good man of unimpeachable character who would surely never be anything less than scrupulously honest and fair in all his dealings, and Samwise brings in his own people. What gets assessed by the court is partly how many people you can bring in, but also who these people are - are they a bunch of sketchy vagabonds or a bunch of well-to-do churchgoers that we've all known forever? We should also add that although (in England anyway) a lot of these are 'trials by jury' but 'jury' here does not mean 'an objective group of people' the way we would expect, it explicitly means a bunch of guys who are especially familiar with the circumstances of the case and (as the theory goes) can be expected to figure out who's telling the truth.

People usually ask - what's stopping you from just lying all the time to get out of things? Nothing, except the reputation you'd get in the community for being a lying liar who lies and then after a while no-one will agree to any kind of deal with you no matter what the terms are because they know you're a shithead who constantly breaks his word.

Not all of this is really useful for D&D, I guess, but if you wanted to you could push the idea of how much of a problem it would be for a bunch of scary vagabonds to roll into a town where no-one knows them and try to get things done. Everyone's going to be super wary of them, because who are these people and how do we know we can trust them? If they get into any kind of poo poo, they're going to have no-body to stand up with them in court who the court is gonna want to listen to, so they're basically turbofucked.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Also Fantasy can legitimately have Divine Right or something similar.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Does this mean that you're done with making video reviews?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Roth posted:

Nobody has ever said this. What people are saying is that it's also easy to make very stupid unsupported claims about specific political messages.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey remember how Extra Credits made a video and yall said Jim should respond to it? Here ya go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ksqAZmjtzs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kotaku and Polygon defending large companies, like the Uncle Toms they are, unsurprising.

• Locked thread