Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I am not touching storage crypto with a 10 foot pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

craig588 posted:

Relative to a videocard they're free. They use like 10 watts each. I'd get 8TB drives so that's 4 of them. You're opening yourself up to storing all manner of illegal materials. Bitcoins might be used for crimes, the use case for storage coins is crimes.

Huh? Burst isn't storage crypto. You aren't getting paid to host someone else's content on your harddrives. It just pre-computes the hashes which are solutions to each round and writes them to the drive for quick and lower-power retrieval later.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Huh? Burst isn't storage crypto. You aren't getting paid to host someone else's content on your harddrives. It just pre-computes the hashes which are solutions to each round and writes them to the drive for quick and lower-power retrieval later.

I’m like 90% sure they said it would eventually be used for hosting content

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m like 90% sure they said it would eventually be used for hosting CP content

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DrDork posted:

I’m absolutely 100% sure it will eventually be used for hosting CP content

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

I’m like 100% sure it is being used for hosting CP content

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

divabot posted:

hm - how are they for spectrum these days? I remember when "daylight" LED bulbs were actually red, green and blue LEDs packaged together, so the light looked approximately white to the eye but didn't wokr quite like white.

(we have "daylight" LED spotlights in the kitchen and the colour doesn't seem weird, fwiw. Incredibly bright daylight CFLs through the rest of the house. I highly recommend them for making everything just nicer and better.)

The CRI (https://www.topbulb.com/color-rendering-index) of LED bulbs has been getting pretty decent. I've got some cheap-ish 90 CRI bulbs right here.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

I’m absolutely 100% sure it will eventually be used for hosting CP content
Yeah their roadmap talks about adding archival (low bandwidth) files to the storage that's currently used for mining, and the content is supposed to be subject to a vote by miners to see if it can be included but lol if you don't think it will go south and become a cesspool. I'll certainly not be doing it once that point arrives :yikes:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Has anybody run two different cards in the same computer for mining here? I put a 1070 into a machine with a 1080 in it. I didnt install drivers because I wasnt sure theyd be any different. Windows picked it up after two reboots, but all it said was "restart to finish setting up geforce 1070". I dont know if that means it attempted to install separate drivers on its own but after that all I got was black screens and a cursor and some faint outlines of dialog boxes. The build is actually toast now because of that. Im reinstalling Windows now.

Im using a USB riser to go into a 1x slot.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
When running multiple Nvidia cards sometimes I could just throw it in and sometimes I'd have to reinstall the driver, using DDU before installing it would probably be the best bet. I only ran into issues when trying to run AMD and Nvidia cards in the same computer but I was able to get that working after messing with it for a while.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How's your power supply? I could see that getting into the 700 watt range. Over 200 per GPU and 100 from the CPU, plus drives, memory, motherboard stuff and fans.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'd only mess with storage crypto if I get a bonus for SSD :colbert:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

When running multiple Nvidia cards sometimes I could just throw it in and sometimes I'd have to reinstall the driver, using DDU before installing it would probably be the best bet. I only ran into issues when trying to run AMD and Nvidia cards in the same computer but I was able to get that working after messing with it for a while.

So you would install say a 1070 driver even though you have a 1080 driver? I initially didnt want to do that because I thought thatd actually cause problems but thats what ill try now.

craig588 posted:

How's your power supply? I could see that getting into the 700 watt range. Over 200 per GPU and 100 from the CPU, plus drives, memory, motherboard stuff and fans.

I am actually running two psus now I forgot to mention that in case thats a culprit, though nothing was under stress at any point. Im using a dual PSU little pcb thing but since its triggered by a molex connector I figured it was out of the loop of concern

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1gnoirents posted:

Has anybody run two different cards in the same computer for mining here? I put a 1070 into a machine with a 1080 in it. I didnt install drivers because I wasnt sure theyd be any different. Windows picked it up after two reboots, but all it said was "restart to finish setting up geforce 1070". I dont know if that means it attempted to install separate drivers on its own but after that all I got was black screens and a cursor and some faint outlines of dialog boxes. The build is actually toast now because of that. Im reinstalling Windows now.

Im using a USB riser to go into a 1x slot.

I was running six 1070s, got a 1080ti, added it in, installed drivers and it worked.

E: this was on a fresh install of Win10 fully updated with literally nothing on the machine but windows, NiceHash and MSI afterburner.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 27, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

So you would install say a 1070 driver even though you have a 1080 driver? I initially didnt want to do that because I thought thatd actually cause problems but thats what ill try now.

I am actually running two psus now I forgot to mention that in case thats a culprit, though nothing was under stress at any point. Im using a dual PSU little pcb thing but since its triggered by a molex connector I figured it was out of the loop of concern

With NVIDIA you’d theoretically install the latest GeForce drivers and it would figure out which cards you have and work seamlessly.

In reality you should wipe everything clean with DDU and pray that installing the drivers recognizes your cards, otherwise you have to repeat the driver cleanup and drop them in one at a time and see which one’s the problem.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Thanks guys, im sure it'll work. I was just concerned I was missing some critical step here, never used one of these risers before nor put two different cards in the same computer. I'll need this to work too because I have another 1080ti coming so it'll be 3 different kinds lol

I did just accidentally install a regular iso of Windows 10 instead of eval that I had been using so I get to do this all over yet again

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253386137675

Cheap 1060s

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

With NVIDIA you’d theoretically install the latest GeForce drivers and it would figure out which cards you have and work seamlessly.

In reality you should wipe everything clean with DDU and pray that installing the drivers recognizes your cards, otherwise you have to repeat the driver cleanup and drop them in one at a time and see which one’s the problem.

Yeah that's all I did, just installed the latest from the Nvidia website and never had any issues with recognition. DDU is pretty quick and easy to do though so that's the way to go to be sure.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

In a strange twist

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=282807710162&category=179&pm=1&ds=0&t=1517019605777

Up for sale is Asus ROG G11CD-B13 gaming desktop pc. Intel i5 -6400 processor, 16GB ddr4 memory, 512GB ssd, 1tb additional storage drive, wireless lan. Works great. It does not come with the gtx 1060 graphics card.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A gaming desktop with no gpu lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
considering 16gb of ddr4 is like 200 loving dollars, that's actually not a terrible deal

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's this Garlicoin? My friend mined $21 worth in 24 hours on his 970.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

What's this Garlicoin? My friend mined $21 worth in 24 hours on his 970.

It seems like it's the next memecoin to actually catch on, filling in Dogecoin's slot.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
It's a knockoff of garfieldcoin.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My HTPC with one GPU got the fall creators update and the graphics driver crapped out, had to fix that this weekend :argh:

OTOH my garage heater is stable af

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So apparently coinbase's exchange, GDAX does free maker limit orders, so you can get your bitcoins from nicehash sent for free to coinbase, then transfer it over to GDAX for free, do a free maker limit order to transfer into Bitcoin cash, etherium, litecoin, or I think even USD, then transfer for free back to coinbase and move it to a cold storage wallet from there using one of the lower transfer fee coins or into your bank account for free I think.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

So apparently coinbase's exchange, GDAX does free maker limit orders, so you can get your bitcoins from nicehash sent for free to coinbase, then transfer it over to GDAX for free, do a free maker limit order to transfer into Bitcoin cash, etherium, litecoin, or I think even USD, then transfer for free back to coinbase and move it to a cold storage wallet from there using one of the lower transfer fee coins or into your bank account for free I think.

Wow it's all so easy!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes thats what ive been doing. Basically from nicehash to coinbase to gdax is all free transfers and effectively instant. Even if I want to sell immediately Ill just make a market order for the same amount as the lowest sell order. Even so market orders have very low fees (ie actual fees), I made an instant sell for ~$26 worth just to consolidate currencies after another large fill and the fee was just 2.5 pennies

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get usable USD to the bank or paypal out of this process then? Can you do a transfer directly from GDAX or does it go back to your coinbase account? I've got just about enough coins to make this worthwhile though I wouldn't mind somewhat larger fees if it made this whole thing much easier.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I was looking at getting in on the free burritos, but to be able to cash out from coinbase they want me to upload a picture of my id. Why, what, no?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Phosphine posted:

I was looking at getting in on the free burritos, but to be able to cash out from coinbase they want me to upload a picture of my id. Why, what, no?

Because they are based in the US and follow US federal laws and are FDIC insured just like a bank. If you are in the US almost everyone is gonna require a real verification of identity.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Phosphine posted:

Use WinMiner and cash out to Amazon gift cards, you gotta put in at least a valid email but you can fill out the rest with fake info. Once they give you the code you can apply it to any Amazon account or sell it. Everything said and done it's $21 for a $20 card (5% fee all-in isn't bad at all) and while it doesn't mine quite as furiously as NiceHash, your PC is usable even for light gaming.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Well, if anyone wanted to know what a coin looks like when ASICs hit it...

RIP, GPU mining Siacoin.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Use WinMiner and cash out to Amazon gift cards, you gotta put in at least a valid email but you can fill out the rest with fake info. Once they give you the code you can apply it to any Amazon account or sell it. Everything said and done it's $21 for a $20 card (5% fee all-in isn't bad at all) and while it doesn't mine quite as furiously as NiceHash, your PC is usable even for light gaming.

can confirm, i just use win miner and send it to paypal, super simple. and it does about 3 bucks a day on a 1070.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Phosphine posted:

Buy a card from Gyft, which also accepts money on Coinbase. Don’t cash out.

If a retailer you like isn’t on Gyft, see if their gift card is on Amazon, because you can buy an Amazon card from Gyft and with it buy a card from Amazon. All of this is not as cool as USD you can spend anywhere you want, but that’s why people are talking about collecting burritos and not money. Because converting it into “real money” means taking these operations as seriously as you would your banking. And nobody wants to do that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 29, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you get usable USD to the bank or paypal out of this process then? Can you do a transfer directly from GDAX or does it go back to your coinbase account? I've got just about enough coins to make this worthwhile though I wouldn't mind somewhat larger fees if it made this whole thing much easier.

I have a bank account attached to Coinbase, which GDAX can deposit to directly. I dont think GDAX uses any other method of deposit as its more "serious", but you can instantly transfer your USD back to your Coinbase USD "wallet" and do with it what you want there. But personally all my funds get to GDAX and leave from GDAX

edit: Mining rate seems to be taking a dump in the last day or two

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 30, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Holyshoot posted:

can confirm, i just use win miner and send it to paypal, super simple. and it does about 3 bucks a day on a 1070.

Is it getting that bad? When I sold my 1060 a few days ago I was still getting about 3.50. That was with a customized setup of Multipoolminer that I was using and alternating between miningpoolhub and nicehash but still.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DrDork posted:

Well, if anyone wanted to know what a coin looks like when ASICs hit it...

RIP, GPU mining Siacoin.

So does that make that coin useless or worth more?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Neither. It means that where before with a GPU you could mine, let's say, $5/day, now with that GPU you'd be mining $0.50/day. The coin's value has not changed, but the enormous spike in difficulty means that--much like as happened with BitCoin--the only viable way to mine it directly now is through ASICs, and your penny-ante GPU miner needs to go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

In terms of mining it makes anything that's not an ASIC useless, time to switch to mining other things

In terms of values of the coins, by law of supply / demand a sudden increase in supply should drop the price, but cryptocurrencies are currently inside a bubble and normal logic is not going to apply

• Locked thread