Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

There's no belts in sambo.

Actually, we have red belts and blue belts :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sambo has jackets too.
The kurtka has an extra fold at the shoulder to facilitate gripping there, doesn't it?
IMO makes it even more grapply than a gi.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually, we have red belts and blue belts :toot:

That's just like judo white vs blue gis, right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The kurtka has an extra fold at the shoulder to facilitate gripping there, doesn't it?
IMO makes it even more grapply than a gi.

That's just like judo white vs blue gis, right?

Yeah it's just for scoring. The ref has a red wristband and a blue wristband and signals points with his fingers on the corresponding hand.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In our advanced no gi classes, if you tap, you tap. No one gets taken seriously if you make some bullshit excuse like I tapped to pain but that isn't a "real" submission. For example, our guys can and will choke you over your face and chin and no one cries about it.

If some white belt taps me with some crazy sub I've never seen before, I'm going to ask him to show me later the set up and mechanics of the sub to learn it. I am not going to tell him it's not a real sub.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Yes but doesn’t it work on the streets?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

In our advanced no gi classes, if you tap, you tap. No one gets taken seriously if you make some bullshit excuse like I tapped to pain but that isn't a "real" submission. For example, our guys can and will choke you over your face and chin and no one cries about it.

If some white belt taps me with some crazy sub I've never seen before, I'm going to ask him to show me later the set up and mechanics of the sub to learn it. I am not going to tell him it's not a real sub.

To clarify, these are higher belts coming over to "coach", not guys making excuses for getting caught. I wouldn't want anyone to be under the impression that I'm doing anything other than getting my rear end kicked when I roll with brown and black belts.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2018

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Neon Belly posted:

Yes but doesn’t it work on the streets?

We've been through this. Only gunkata works on the streets.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

General Emergency posted:

We've been through this. Only gunkata works on the streets.

Apparently you've never seen a man bust out a ginga before

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For some training partners after I get choked I'll give them feedback as to whether it was blood, windpipe, crank, or squeeze, but that's more to give feedback, and I always appreciate when people give me feedback of the like too, since knowing what my partner experienced helps me to make my attacks more precise.

I only get grouchy when some gigantic dude makes me tap by getting rammy and doing poo poo like putting his knee on my head and twisting my spine, though that's less because I tapped and more because I hate rolling with assholes.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CommonShore posted:

I only get grouchy when some gigantic dude makes me tap by getting rammy and doing poo poo like putting his knee on my head and twisting my spine, though that's less because I tapped and more because I hate rolling with assholes.

We have a fat guy who likes to smother people with his gut or bicep curl their skull. He's just on the list of people I avoid rolling with. Nice dude otherwise.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I know a particular dude that enjoys trying to suffocate me. Thats always a fun one to get out of.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

We have a fat guy who likes to smother people with his gut or bicep curl their skull. He's just on the list of people I avoid rolling with. Nice dude otherwise.

We have a few dudes like that, but one in particular changes his game up completely if he is rolling with someone his weight or decently skilled and start making all these weird excuses for getting tapped. It is very frustrating to watch and chocking his stupid fat neck is really loving satisfying, I pretty much just tap when he gets on top though because the fucker won't actually go for a submission, just pin me and be gross and fat on top of me because he knows if he goes for something there's a risk ill be able to get up. I have just stopped rolling with him now despite him constantly asking me to.

On the other hand I have another fat dude who is my skill level that intentionally does stuff to avoid having his weight be a deciding factor, including having me start in mount some times when we roll.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Mute before you watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gpiqYxeGQo

The guy on the left learned Sanda, where I'm at. When he's in town, he goes to the classes, as well.

Thoughts? I'm terrified of getting thrown like that. Not that he would do it to me. He's skilled enough to spar at his opponent's level, which in my case, means he mostly has to keep telling me to stop backing away, and being so afraid. He dropped someone (a willing opponent) last month, and they needed a few stitches in their chin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which throw, the single leg to high crotch, or the suplex? Both were clean technique from him, not rushing it and giving the opponent time to prep and take the fall on his back, not head.

You should be doing a ton of breakfall drills and drilling lower amplitude trips and throws to get used to handling yourself during a throw. If he were sparring you (a novice) at my gym, he'd set up the throw by grabbing you and taking you off your feet, showing control, and letting you down.

E: how are you being taught throws and taking falls now?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It looks a bit like the guy being thrown keeps landing on his arm and that can be dangerous, but that's because he's not breaking the fall properly.

Getting thrown hard like that is scary at first, but eventually you get used to it. Some people even start enjoying it!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get thrown like that regularly enough, but I've been doing breakfalls most of my life.

Charging straight at an opponent like he does at the beginning will get you loving flattened against anyone good.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Are a suplex and a back arch different things?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

CommonShore posted:

I get thrown like that regularly enough, but I've been doing breakfalls most of my life.

Charging straight at an opponent like he does at the beginning will get you loving flattened against anyone good.

If he tried that poo poo on me I'd drop my inside axe kick to his face. I call it The Widowmaker.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

It's a good bully tactic, and he can get away with the chain arm punching because he's still pushing his opponent out of bounds and scoring points on that.

e: I want to amend this by clarifying that, by bully tactic, I mean going against an inferior / less experienced fighter. Not that it is a generally valid way to apply pressure.

Novum posted:

If he tried that poo poo on me I'd drop my inside axe kick to his face. I call it The Widowmaker.

Are you Harold Howard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt0UIuGnSdw&t=8s

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2018

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Siivola posted:

Getting thrown hard like that is scary at first, but eventually you get used to it. Some people even start enjoying it!

Those people are called Pro Wrestler's.....

Suplexes like that are actually really easy to land safely from despite what they look like just remember to tuck your chin.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Come back to NY and I'll give you a lesson :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE

This is the basic idea, you want to be on the inside of their shinbone. I tend to use my knee or shin for it while pinning their leg to the mat more than my elbows, as a part of my passing game and also to punish people who sit in guard as a matter of principle.

Sort of like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yUkTmQHJM ?

I'd love to add some stuff like this to my game. And I'm all about punishing guard players.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Which throw, the single leg to high crotch, or the suplex? Both were clean technique from him, not rushing it and giving the opponent time to prep and take the fall on his back, not head.

You should be doing a ton of breakfall drills and drilling lower amplitude trips and throws to get used to handling yourself during a throw. If he were sparring you (a novice) at my gym, he'd set up the throw by grabbing you and taking you off your feet, showing control, and letting you down.

E: how are you being taught throws and taking falls now?
I'm glad that it is clean technique. I got thrown/dropped with the single leg to high crotch, by someone in our class like 6 weeks ago and my rib is still a little sore. Might have been from his knee, after he'd slammed me down.

We've focused on throws a little and we'll do the grabbing and lifting a bit, and letting down. I don't feel like we've practiced falls much, at all. I had no idea about tucking my chin, for examples. Maybe after we actually practice it some, I'll be less terrified of it. One guy (less than a year exp) got suplexed by the guy in the video, during sparring last month. He was stunned and didn't really do much after that. It felt pretty excessive to me... but I guess it's just something I need to learn.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

We've focused on throws a little and we'll do the grabbing and lifting a bit, and letting down. I don't feel like we've practiced falls much, at all. I had no idea about tucking my chin, for examples. Maybe after we actually practice it some, I'll be less terrified of it. One guy (less than a year exp) got suplexed by the guy in the video, during sparring last month. He was stunned and didn't really do much after that. It felt pretty excessive to me... but I guess it's just something I need to learn.

It sounds like your instructor has got it backwards in terms of fall preparation vs throw practice. Ask him how to break your fall to minimize hurting yourself and see how he teaches it. I think people already have this place half written-off as a tough guy gym, but maybe the instruction is still good if you deliberately ask for it.

The two things you want to do (and you may have to prioritize) once you get thrown are not to hit your head and not to put your limbs in a weird position to hurt your joints.
Tucking your upper body into a tight ball gives you a better chance of landing on your back. If you get thrown hard on a boxing ring platform or a thicker wrestling mat but take the fall correctly, it'll be really uncomfortable but shouldn't damage you or rattle your brain.

At the moment of impact, you want to explode with your arms and slap them into the floor, opening your chest up and rolling flat onto your back if you can. This lets your overall center of mass keep moving toward the ground while keeping your back/ribs more stationary and thus decelerating more gradually. I'm not going to link a breakfall drill because I want you to hear how your instructor teaches it.

You also have to get a feel for how much to fight the takedown in a free sparring scenario. Leaning or flailing the wrong way can definitely have you landing from higher and in a worse position.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

The two things you want to do (and you may have to prioritize) once you get thrown are not to hit your head and not to put your limbs in a weird position to hurt your joints.
Tucking your upper body into a tight ball gives you a better chance of landing on your back. If you get thrown hard on a boxing ring platform or a thicker wrestling mat but take the fall correctly, it'll be really uncomfortable but shouldn't damage you or rattle your brain.

At the moment of impact, you want to explode with your arms and slap them into the floor, opening your chest up and rolling flat onto your back if you can. This lets your overall center of mass keep moving toward the ground while keeping your back/ribs more stationary and thus decelerating more gradually. I'm not going to link a breakfall drill because I want you to hear how your instructor teaches it.

You also have to get a feel for how much to fight the takedown in a free sparring scenario. Leaning or flailing the wrong way can definitely have you landing from higher and in a worse position.
Nice, thanks for this explanation. Some of the more experienced guys do the arms / floor slap, but it was never explained to me, and I'd never been told to do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For what it's worth at our semi-casual judo club we drill breakfalls every class and we make sure that new people get individual breakfall instruction for several classes before they get thrown by anyone other than hand-picked partners. To do high-amplitude throws to new people without that kind of instruction is negligent.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

When I did my spot of judo (I wussed put pretty quick after an unrelated injury), us beginners would practice the big throws on thick crash mats intead of the tatami.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

gently caress that I’d take my knife and stab him in the face!

IN THE FACE!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

For some training partners after I get choked I'll give them feedback as to whether it was blood, windpipe, crank, or squeeze, but that's more to give feedback, and I always appreciate when people give me feedback of the like too, since knowing what my partner experienced helps me to make my attacks more precise.

I do this also since I don't want a sore throat the next day. I'm a white belt and roll with other white belts so it's a mistake that I see a lot of. I wouldn't have been aware of this as the choker if nobody had told me, so it's fair and good.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Has anyone taken Muay Thai? I'm thinking of doing it since one of the best schools in the country is in my backyard so might as well try it. I know nothing of the art though, except it looks cool. Don't know what to wear and poo poo like that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Muay Thai completely owns. Just wear something loose fitting so that you can get your legs high without damaging it. Expect to sweat a lot. Buy your own wraps and gloves as soon as possible so that you don’t have to share gross communal gear. Always wear a mouthguard.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Muay Thai completely owns. Just wear something loose fitting so that you can get your legs high without damaging it. Expect to sweat a lot. Buy your own wraps and gloves as soon as possible so that you don’t have to share gross communal gear. Always wear a mouthguard.

Do you have a rec for good wraps and gloves? I guess i can search on youtube for how to wrap your hands, have never done that before. drat what am i getting into lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

vaginal facsimile posted:

Do you have a rec for good wraps and gloves? I guess i can search on youtube for how to wrap your hands, have never done that before. drat what am i getting into lol

You want 180".
https://www.amazon.com/TITLE-Print-Mexican-Style-Hand/dp/B01N4K50FH
I hand wash mine after ever session, and the semi-elastic keeps them from getting wrinkled when I wring them out. It also keeps the wrap a bit tighter as you start punching, which is the primary reason why they're stretchy.

Just have someone at the gym show you how to wrap them.

e: Twins and Fairtex are decent glove brands, but I won't recommend specific models cuz people's hands are shaped different. I've had more than one pair just totally not work for me.
It's something you might wanna test out at your first class.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do yourself a favor though and check out all the flamboyant muay thai shorts you can buy. It rules.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This may sound stupid, but are you ever "too old" to start taking a martial arts class? I'm almost 30.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Nope but as you get older you need to adjust your goals and training methods. You are not too old to start a martial art at 30.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nope but as you get older you need to adjust your goals and training methods.
How so?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well you are unlikely to be a top competitor ever (if you want to compete) and you can't go spar hard every day all day. Common sense adjustments and realistic expectations you'd have with any sport.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well you are unlikely to be a top competitor ever (if you want to compete) and you can't go spar hard every day all day. Common sense adjustments and realistic expectations you'd have with any sport.

I just want to learn how to fight in order to defend myself.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What up impending pre-midlife crisis buddy. Go do some martial arts.

Edit: Oh. Okay, how do you need to defend yourself?

(Running is good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I started jiu jitsu at 31. Take jiu jitsu and learn how to run.