Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've brought this up with him and his response is "to stop thinking a certain way because of social pressure is fascism"

Part of why these guys become committed fascists in the first place is because they're terrified of being humiliated by the in-group. They've just replaced the social norms of society with the norms of the cult.

e:

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What the gently caress is "Siege" that these people are reading? Is it a new version of Turner Diaries or whatever? A RAHOWAist's Cookbook? What?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A Reddit ask-me-anything from someone claiming to be a former white supremacist organizer who knew a bunch of the big shots including Richard Spencer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/7t6n1l/i_am_a_former_white_supremacist_and_helped/

Well this thing has sure gotten swarmed by a bunch of angry race realist Kekistanis.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Zwabu posted:

What the gently caress is "Siege" that these people are reading? Is it a new version of Turner Diaries or whatever? A RAHOWAist's Cookbook? What?

It was, IIRC, the Nazi magazine that was run by some kind of predecessor of Atomwaffen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Do you think the meme nazis have been trying to get the attention of actual outdoors neo-nazis or just finally happened to fall in with them just long enough to start learning to regret it?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zwabu posted:

Siege the book is a collection of all the articles published by the Siege zine from 1980-86. They were all written by James Mason, a radical neo-nazi who synthesized Nazi ideology with Charles Manson's praxis. Every time a racially motivated murder or act of violence happened, it was celebrated in the pages of Siege, because every random act of violence would slowly but surely undo the social bonds of the liberal capitalist system and open the door for race war.

It's rated 4/5 stars on Goodreads, and here's a quote from one of the top reviews.

quote:

From what I have been told Mason has since done time for having sex with underage girls and become a Jesus freak so he isn't exactly the most stable or virtuous person but that doesn't change the fact that Siege is a great book.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Well this thing has sure gotten swarmed by a bunch of angry race realist Kekistanis.

They are not mad at all

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 10:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

drat, this is a good thread

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

What is this behaviour called? If they want to discredit the op, why would they type these angry and overly-specific refutations? It looks like Prester's narrative-leaking poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

as everyone already knew, the charlottesville cops were entirely cooperative with the nazi rally

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What is this behaviour called? If they want to discredit the op, why would they type these angry and overly-specific refutations? It looks like Prester's narrative-leaking poo poo.

Denying everything claimed by defectors is what cults do to maintain their cultivated image to the outside world. Except a typical cult would be more diplomatic in public.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Crane Fist posted:

That's a lot of words to express some real basic insight there

Let Jane do what she does, it's C-SPAM. If you don't like reading gently caress off to GBS/D&D.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think Prester is on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAM9diyVRiM

DCCCXLII

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A Reddit ask-me-anything from someone claiming to be a former white supremacist organizer who knew a bunch of the big shots including Richard Spencer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/7t6n1l/i_am_a_former_white_supremacist_and_helped/

yo haha

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Darkman Fanpage posted:

ah i see they're also fans of dan aykroyd's skull head vodka

I love all the incongruous details like that, like the crystal pipe in another altar photo

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

drat, this is a good thread

"Western Society is built on the pursuit of truth"

These people sound miserable

"this seems like it was written by someone trying to make us look bad"

:hmbol:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's not enough to just be nazi chuds, they have to have bad opinions about RPGs too.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not enough to just be nazi chuds, they have to have bad opinions about RPGs too.

Um excuse me but I trust the opinion of someone who's played HUNDREDS of games

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ocrumsprug posted:

Ahem, a DPRK death cult infiltrating a Nazi group.
whoa so like one of those wasps that will lay eggs inside a spider

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is that like a super nazbol

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I quite like “You sound like you watch a lot of anime” as a diss.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan posted:

is that like a super nazbol

Considering all the Hare Krishna Kali worship, I think they're mostly infatuated with the apocalyptic death cult aspect and only adopt right wing communism and Nazism as an aesthetic to draw in recruits.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/don_chump/status/957968424050790400

quote:

Arthurs told the detective, “In hindsight, it’s very stupid what I’ve done and honestly it feels like… all of this feels surreal. Like a dream if that makes sense.”

Investigators believe Arthurs also had neo-Nazi beliefs until he converted to Islam. It was shortly after that change that he no longer saw eye to eye with his roommates.

After investigators discovered Oneschuck and Himmelman’s body, they found a cache of weapons, ammunition and chemicals that could be used to make destructive devices. Arthurs told detectives that is exactly what his roommates had planned.

Arthurs: “Nothing had been constructed yet, but this is clearly stuff lined up for the explosives there.”

Detective: “So that was the purpose of these items?”

Arthurs: “That was the entire purpose of them.”

Detective: “You guys don’t build model rockets and set them off in the back of the …. fireworks or Fourth of July?”

Arthurs: “No, none of that. It’s all there specifically to kill people.”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They should shave time off his sentence for doing a public service.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anyone catch that special with Angela Nagle on (I think) Vice last week? I know people here tend to be dismissive of her, but I think she handles herself well and provides decent insights in panel discussions and interviews.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Part of why these guys become committed fascists in the first place is because they're terrified of being humiliated by the in-group. They've just replaced the social norms of society with the norms of the cult.

e:

Your right, a lot of the alt right types are birthed/steeped in Chan/etc trolling culture. That poo poo isn’t good for your self esteem. You have no real “friends” and everyone will throw you under the bus if you don’t tow the line or for a laugh. And you don’t quit because you are afraid to lose what you have.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

Did anyone catch that special with Angela Nagle on (I think) Vice last week? I know people here tend to be dismissive of her, but I think she handles herself well and provides decent insights in panel discussions and interviews.
I think it was Fusion, yeah? I haven't but I'm a fan. She gets more flack from the Twitter left I think.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Nazis also enjoy strategy games where you model every individual rifle and incidentally you can be the Nazis: these are known as Wehraboos. I offer this gift to the thread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I think it was Fusion, yeah? I haven't but I'm a fan. She gets more flack from the Twitter left I think.

Well yeah because she puts some blame on lib idpol call out culture and poo poo like that for helping foster a environment for nazis to grow. which isn’t wrong. She is interesting and I need to pick up her book.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Obliterati posted:

Nazis also enjoy strategy games where you model every individual rifle and incidentally you can be the Nazis: these are known as Wehraboos. I offer this gift to the thread.
Oh God. I've played a ton of war games so yeah. HUNDREDS. (Actually not really.)

quote:

While some Wehraboos are neo-nazis, this is usually not the case. Wehraboos are better compared to fanboys, who have been influenced by computer games, comic books, television documentaries, and low-quality history websites and books. Sources that conflict with their view will be dismissed as Allied propaganda or countered with more sources of poor quality. They are frequently found on Internet forums, particularly those dedicated to action-based computer games.
Perfect.

I never really payed much attention to them, and still haven't. I somehow stumbled across one on Facebook awhile ago. I thought, is this a Nazi? It was like a major hobby for him, and he had built a model version of the Schwerer Gustav, the ginormous railway cannon built for the Wehrmacht, for his dad's birthday or something like that, since his dad was also into it. Then I look at his profile and the only thing even remotely political at all was some Bernie stuff. It's fine, y'know, provided they're not promoting the Clean Wehrmacht myth (they often promote the Clean Wehrmacht myth).

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Jan 29, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
been playing il-2 recently, and I love how the luftangels jerking off in their 109s and 190s cruising at 6km, diving onto people every now and then, get turbo pissed on the forums about the russian bias because meanwhile the allies bomb all their poo poo to ashes and they lose every battle and it's just :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oh God. I've played a ton of war games so yeah. HUNDREDS. (Actually not really.)

Perfect.

I never really payed much attention to them, and still haven't. I somehow stumbled across one on Facebook awhile ago. I was like, is this is a Nazi? It was like a major hobby, and he had built a model version of the Schwerer Gustav, the ginormous railway cannon built for the Wehrmacht, for his dad's birthday or something like that, since his dad was also into it. Then I look at his profile and the only thing even remotely political at all was some Bernie stuff. It's fine, y'know, provided they're not promoting the Clean Wehrmacht myth (they often promote the Clean Wehrmacht myth).
gently caress, I was a bit of a wehaboo when I was 10 and the only one o recognize are tigers(customer made pieces of poo poo) and Hauptmann.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

been playing il-2 recently, and I love how the luftangels jerking off in their 109s and 190s cruising at 6km, diving onto people every now and then, get turbo pissed on the forums about the russian bias because meanwhile the allies bomb all their poo poo to ashes and they lose every battle and it's just :allears:
That encourages me because so many online war games, if the Third Reich is an option, then the players will zerg rush into joining the Axis side. I will always pick the Allied side on general gameplay balance principles and not just because the German side tends to also attract people with names like [MAGA]Pepe_Hauptmann ... although that might increasingly be part of the reason.

:argh:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
One time a friend convinced me to play Axis & Allies with him. We went for 12 hours and still were nowhere close to finishing. That's my story thanks for reading

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Yeah sometimes they are completely innocent nerds, but as a mod of a multiplayer strategy game Discord you do occasionally get that guy who will only play Hearts of Iron if he can be Germany and incidentally also wants to machine gun refugee boats

Literally the only rule we've had to enforce in that Discord is 'no Nazis, no ironic Nazis', and half the reason we have a politics channel is because they can't resist outing themselves

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I noticed our discord over the last year getting worse and worse, so I instituted a Nazi and Pederson free zone. It was eye opening how many people chose to die on that hill.

Irony poisoning claimed something like 20-30% of our community.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I swear, the amount of fascists that enjoy the Elder Scrolls is depressing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I never really payed much attention to them, and still haven't. I somehow stumbled across one on Facebook awhile ago. I thought, is this a Nazi? It was like a major hobby for him, and he had built a model version of the Schwerer Gustav, the ginormous railway cannon built for the Wehrmacht, for his dad's birthday or something like that, since his dad was also into it. Then I look at his profile and the only thing even remotely political at all was some Bernie stuff. It's fine, y'know, provided they're not promoting the Clean Wehrmacht myth (they often promote the Clean Wehrmacht myth).

As someone who has models of aircraft with swastikas on the tail* and hangs out in the milhist thread, I can tell you 'it varies' and 'the venn diagrams sometimes overlap.'

There's a lot of people out there who are just interested in history, and World War 2 and particularly the Third Reich are extremely accessible subjects. In fact, the wehraboo thing likely started at least partially because of the history being accessible and bias (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) creeping into it. There was a narrative for a long time that the Third Reich was placed in the pop culture position of being the good guys, believe it or not: they were fighting the losing battle against an enemy that 1) didn't value human life and 2) won just by zerg rushing. The Germans lasted as long as they did because they were far superior fighters, and their equipment was far better. (Fetishization of German tanks - particularly the big cat tanks is typically a sign of wehrabooism.) This of course is deceptive bullshit, but it falls into the modern moralizing narrative style, and for not great thinkers they get pulled under by it.

*Swastikas are typically not included in model kits - you have to buy 'em separately, mostly because they are illegal in Germany. The decal sheet I ordered - from a company who's logo is some naked lady nose art - has a special disclaimer at the top. It said "we made these swastikas because they are standard marking on all Nazi German aircraft from 1933 to 1945. We do not endorse the Third Reich, its members, or its actions in any way; gently caress them."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

I swear, the amount of fascists that enjoy the Elder Scrolls is depressing.

Skyrim was so badly written that it leaves open the possibility of roleplaying as a white supremacist.

Anyway, Zero Books just did another video that's front-loaded with a commentary on the Cathy Newman/Jordan Peterson interview, and the rest delves into how the sloganeering in Kill All Others reflects a society whose politics have become so simple that people can be easily swayed by the most trite change of rhetoric. It just kept making me think of that Jordan Peterson merch store full of shirts with his three word Dadisms printed on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrdKeaomKg

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Just found out that JBPs new book was illustrated by this guy:
https://twitter.com/nakatomitim/status/862828385525010434

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really tempted to buy hearts of iron, because this exists https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1156789523