Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Keket, I don't suppose you know where I could get some steel braid sleeve? It's a pain to google for because I keep getting results for braided steel rope/tow cables, and when I do find any sleeving it's either from an American company or being sold in 100ft reels for a bajillion sterling. I usually go to kojaycat for electrical poo poo but they only stock nylon braid. :/

Idk, google around. It's something on my list for next-bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-EMI...rAAAOSwygJXgMs8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what's a "baffle"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's like a waffle but with bananas.

Just finished rebuilding my forks, got everything buttoned up, and cleaned the workspace. Found this:

poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 15, 2018

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Someone didn't follow instructions...Refitting is the reverse of the removal procedure

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pff I don't need no pussy instructions

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thats just weight savings.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Just mangle it open until it fits over the inner fork leg diameter and cram it in there. That way it'll seat extra tight!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
First ride in a good while (other than commuting) - 272 total miles. Rode around the Brenham, TX area with a motohouston guy. Good fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's like a waffle but with bananas.

Just finished rebuilding my forks, got everything buttoned up, and cleaned the workspace. Found this:

poo poo.

HAHAHAHAHA. That should be an easy fix though, just pull up the dust cover, pull the clip apart enough to get it around the fork tube and plunk it in place.
I've done the same thing before, it'll be okay.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, ended up being pretty easy. I even picked the correct fork leg on the first try. Fortunately, it's only a 38mm fork, so the clip didn't deform any in the process. It's what I get for not setting up a clean and organized workspace for the project.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, ended up being pretty easy. I even picked the correct fork leg on the first try. Fortunately, it's only a 38mm fork, so the clip didn't deform any in the process. It's what I get for not setting up a clean and organized workspace for the project.

That's better than my first time doing forks. I put the seal in the wrong way because my dumb brain thought seal spring = inside like engines. Surprisingly it only seeped a tiny bit doing that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The seal spring does go on the inside. Some of them just face a second one that faces out.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Installed a new exhaust pipe on my scooter today. It's marketed as a "performance" pipe and is supposed to nab you anywhere between a whopping .5 and 2hp (though I guess when you're starting out with something like 22 or 26hp, those numbers mean a lot more). I don't know about any of that, but I do know that it looks better than the stock Vespa bladder and if riding scooters is about anything, it's about being a preening idiot.

Before:

After:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was going to say there's no loving way a Vespa is making 22 horsepower, but huh it turns out they actually make a 300cc model that (according to the manufacturer, anyway) does reach that figure.

Huh. The more you know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those 250/300 Vespas are super frustrating cause they have good power, brakes, tyre size etc but let ground clearance than a fifty.

I say this as someone who took the center stand off a TGB 50cc in the name of ground clearance.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Communist Walrus posted:

Installed a new exhaust pipe on my scooter today. It's marketed as a "performance" pipe and is supposed to nab you anywhere between a whopping .5 and 2hp (though I guess when you're starting out with something like 22 or 26hp, those numbers mean a lot more). I don't know about any of that, but I do know that it looks better than the stock Vespa bladder and if riding scooters is about anything, it's about being a preening idiot.

Before:

After:

I like your scooter

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I like your scooter

:tipshat:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Put the battery on to charge.

Put the speedo on a signal generator to get the mileage back up to where it's supposed to be. I blew the fuse installing my heated gear and did two round trips without the speedo working.

Now I'm wondering if I should leave it on and bring the mileage up to what the bike actually has. Old speedo had 33,000 on it. I can get this thing up to read up to 240ish, so that's only like six days nonstop....

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

I was going to say there's no loving way a Vespa is making 22 horsepower, but huh it turns out they actually make a 300cc model that (according to the manufacturer, anyway) does reach that figure.

Huh. The more you know

And they're great fun and comfy, too.

Nice scooter, Communist Walrus.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My question is why they haven't stopped using that horrendous indicator switch where the knob is held by a tiny insect stalk and the whole thing is completely flogged out and useless by the time you leave the showroom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. The more you know

Totally believable, the Elite 250 is factory rated at 19HP. With newer technology and 50 more CC’s in the Vespa I’m actually surprised it isn’t more than 22HP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would've thought belt cvt puts a cap on how much power you can have? Hence burgmans having that crazy gear trsin setup for example.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, two stroke snowmobiles put out way more power than your average scooter and work fine with a belt cvt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I guess I should qualify that with 'at a reasonable price/weight' cause I imagine snowmobiles are pretty heavy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: guess I misread a bit, but yeah, snowmobiles have used belts for decades, but they're usually pretty easy to replace. Our old sleds growing up always had one strapped to the top of the cvt cover, but I can't recall needing to replace one while we were on the trails.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 24, 2018

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
my 700 triple 2t snowmobile made about 150hp and the only time I blew a belt was when it was warm and slush got in my cowling and got the belt wet and slippery for ~40 miles. Then I was hauling rear end about 100mph down an ice covered back road and the belt grenaded and took my speedo cable and belt guard with it.

No belt means no brakes but that was really the only downside because it is way easier to put a belt on when you dont have to remove the old one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How big is one of those belts?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Apparently 1133mm outside circumference and 37mm wide at the top

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I would've thought belt cvt puts a cap on how much power you can have? Hence burgmans having that crazy gear trsin setup for example.

Those stupid 800/850cc Gileras (and the Aprilias that share the engine and gearbox) get along just fine on them too. Well apart from the silly re-programming thing but that's :italy: rather than a problem with CVTs themselves.

IIRC F1 teams were playing around with CVTs in the aftermath of the turbo ban, because they let you tune your engine to an absolutely ridiculous extent - it's a lot easier to make a normally-aspirated engine make a thousand hp if you only have to make it between 15,000 and 15,500 rpm. I think the real limiter on their use in bikes is the packaging problem, or at least the packaging problem if you give a poo poo about unsprung weight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Apparently 1133mm outside circumference and 37mm wide at the top

That's honestly smaller than I expected! I'm now out of excuses as to why piaggio poo poo has belt replacement as a service item (and they do break routinely if you don't) yet a Japanese scooter can keep going until the forks are falling off on the factory belt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

That's honestly smaller than I expected! I'm now out of excuses as to why piaggio poo poo has belt replacement as a service item (and they do break routinely if you don't) yet a Japanese scooter can keep going until the forks are falling off on the factory belt.

You know why. :italy:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I installed a Puig Vision windscreen on my SV. It rattles a bit over 85, but it make it a lot easier on the highway. Also extra fast points for fake carbon fiber. :captainpop:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fork seals. Pretty sure they were 06 original. Coolant too.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

M42 posted:

M42, I commend your commitment to the cause. Doing forks is pretty significant especially for a shared garage space. Did you just replace seals and oil? I think I want to go down this road on my SV (stock front end) too. Never done it before... No telling when it was last done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Converting the bike to paralever? :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

I still don't understand how you did this by yourself. I'm 165lbs and still have a bit of trouble even with the tool.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

With the $100 racetech tool? That thing doesn’t need strength to use 🤔 just a workbench vise and a drill. A goon showed me the order of operations for internal disassembly but they’re honestly pretty easy if you have the pricy tools.

Xylo, right side up forks are way easier. Throw some emulators in there. :discourse:

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 29, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How much of a tremendous splashy mess did you make, and was there a half-hearted effort to wipe up the stains before shrugging and walking off?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not even one rag’s worth. Way different story from the trackbike forks. That poo poo went everywhere because I did it on the floor without a vise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This extended swingarm poo poo has gone too far