Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My Little Mark III weighs five pounds and my back is not ground to dust. The tone isn't there, but neither is the scoliosis.

....doesn't mean I don't want one of those Sunn heads. They are baller as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
How much do you have to carry your amp around anyway? Even when on tour you carry it from the van to the stage and vice versa. I mean i get that an 8x10 is a pain in the rear end but a grown man should be abled to carry an amp without breaking their back, even if it's 60 lbs like mine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

How much do you have to carry your amp around anyway? Even when on tour you carry it from the van to the stage and vice versa. I mean i get that an 8x10 is a pain in the rear end but a grown man should be abled to carry an amp without breaking their back, even if it's 60 lbs like mine.

You’re overestimating the physical strength and lifting knowledge of the average person by a very large amount.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
And sometimes venues have stairwells you have to go up and stuff. It can be exhausting. I traded in a big heavy Ampeg cab simply because it was so hard to move around myself. Went Avatar with neos and glad I did. Slightly less beefy sound but I can live with that knowing I can pick the thing up and throw it in a car myself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was in a band with beefy weightlifters and they always complained about hauling the Trace combo around

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

You say "van to stage and vice versa" like it's a level, straight shot through a wide door. While that is sometimes the case, often it's not, especially if you're in a band that isn't touring. If you're in a regular, local band, you're playing regular, local gigs at regular, local venues--and these are often places that were set up according to one of the following scenarios:

1. Venue has very easy load-in because the venue is designed for bands like yours
  2. Venue not designed for live music, so the load-in is hard because of any one of a variety of reasons
  3. Venue was designed for music, but the architect's parents were killed by rampaging musicians right in front of him when he was a child, so he's designed the venue to be easy for people to get into but nigh impossible for gear-carrying musicians to load into
  4. Same as above, except the architect was a woman, because #feminism.

Case in point: the Hi-Pointe in St. Louis. Don't know if they still have bands there, but back in the day, they did. The load-in door was in the back. It was a narrow door, just wide enough for an Ampeg 8x10 cab. So if, like me, you have a really wide amp, you had to to through sideways, and hopefully you knew that before you tried to go in. Anyway, once inside, you have 4 feet before the first flight of stairs. This flight goes to a landing where you must turn and go up the next flight of stairs. This flight goes to a landing where there's a door that's hopefully unlocked. Then, and only then, have you loaded that first piece of gear. So, for a band of 3 people, that's about one trip for your instruments, one for your head, one for your cab, and one more to go and park your car... assuming you didn't need to make a fourth trip up for even more gear (like effects or drums).

It seems engineered specifically to be hard on anyone loading in gear. At least there was an old, ratty couch on the dance floor, though.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Some of the worst stairs I've ever had to carry 4 stacks up, Rudyards in Houston, Starlight Lounge in San Jose (or Sacramento?) The Cave in Chapel Hill NC.

I know I have pictures of these beasts, I'll dig em up tomorrow.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah I've played in an old bomb shelter, we had to carry everything 3-4 stories downstairs. Even the cabs, no elevators. Those places are rare though. I mean most guys here probably don't tour for a living, I'm just saying that if you do 10-20 gigs per year like me hauling that 60 lbs amp around is not a huge deal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 26, 2018

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
I have two different band practices a week and play a show every other weekend or so. During times like SXSW it'll be two shows in a weekend. Each time I go out with my gear, it's four trips (load, unload, load, unload). It's pretty gnarly sometimes, but I get to jam really loudly, and that's my poo poo. I should invest in a road case to protect the bigass 6550s in this new head.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Do you have to use your main setup in both bands?

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
If we're messing around with recording in my friend's home studio I can leave my rig at home and just run off my pedalboard. A lot of venues prefer to take an XLR out from my b7k and don't bother to mic the cab, a good venue will do both. I don't have a lightweight rig to just bring to practice but I do roll with just one cab. I need a cab sim, really, fuzz sounds worse through a PA with no cab.

Speaking of, the new b7k ultra v2 and alpha Omega ultra both have a nifty cab sim where you load the sim by USB and have a button to turn it on/off. Wish I could afford the upgrade.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah I've played in an old bomb shelter, we had to carry everything 3-4 stories downstairs. Even the cabs, no elevators. Those places are rare though. I mean most guys here probably don't tour for a living, I'm just saying that if you do 10-20 gigs per year like me hauling that 60 lbs amp around is not a huge deal.

Don’t care what kind of music you played, that’s the most metal show that ever happened :black101:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I bought an ART tube preamp to use as a DI for my bass rig and of course it’s DOA. Returning later.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
okay, I'm finally going to buy a bass for recording demos and the like. probably more on the metal end of the spectrum. would like to get something that I'm not going to want to replace anytime soon, so a decent variety of sounds plus good playability. Probably a five string? Thinking about the Yamaha BBP735 (which is about $800)--is that reasonable? Is there something else I should consider entirely? halp I'm an idiot with basses

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

The other lovely part about a lot of older all tube bass heads, such as the ampeg v4, is that they had a single handle on the top of the head and weighed about 70 lbs. The weight was never the problem but the lack of a good grip was always something to gripe about.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Professor Science posted:

okay, I'm finally going to buy a bass for recording demos and the like. probably more on the metal end of the spectrum. would like to get something that I'm not going to want to replace anytime soon, so a decent variety of sounds plus good playability. Probably a five string? Thinking about the Yamaha BBP735 (which is about $800)--is that reasonable? Is there something else I should consider entirely? halp I'm an idiot with basses

Thats a rad bass, but go for the 4 string. Really I would go for a sub $500 used Fender MIM way before I would buy a brand new bass, especially if it's not your main instrument.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Professor Science posted:

Seems like Ibanez has the market cornered on bass guitars used in metal but do you have some examples of what sort of metal you would be playing? How about tunings? Anything below B you probably would want to look into a bass with a 35" scale.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Seems like Ibanez has the market cornered on bass guitars used in metal but do you have some examples of what sort of metal you would be playing? How about tunings? Anything below B you probably would want to look into a bass with a 35" scale.
in terms of actual sounds... not entirely sure yet. Something like Altar of Plagues is a decent reference. Tuning wise, I'd be surprised if I go much lower than D standard on guitars, maybe occasionally drop C? Super low tunings aren't my thing.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
If you're not 100% sure you need a 5-string, don't get a 5-string. More strings does not equal better. Most bassists in this world go with a 4 string, same as most guitarists don't need 7 or 8 strings.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 28, 2018

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Altar Of Plagues doesn't have a bass player though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I play metal with a P-bass tuned to C or C# and a lot of metal bassists use a J. My advice is don't get too hung up with getting a "metal" bass, P's and J's work really well in metal. I especially like P's since they're real punchy and cut through the mix well.

Then again as far as basses go I'm a Fender fanboy, hah.

Dave Edwardson of Neurosis, who Altar Of Plagues pretty much owe their whole style to, plays an Ibanez Roadstar II.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 28, 2018

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Altar Of Plagues doesn't have a bass player though.

they did a long time ago, at least!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can always string a 4 string BEAD for metal too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I've got a new rehearsal space sharing it with a couple of other bands and bassists, was thinking of chipping in to get a rehearsal amp. What would you consider a pretty affordable option? The other bassists aren't exactly rolling in money.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So I've got a new rehearsal space sharing it with a couple of other bands and bassists, was thinking of chipping in to get a rehearsal amp. What would you consider a pretty affordable option? The other bassists aren't exactly rolling in money.

Old Peaveys, from the 70's to the 90's. Old late 70's Mark III's are loving awesome but have a pretty distict sound, works well in punk & metal but probably not if you wanna play at somewhat lower levels. A firebass / Peavey Max (same head, different name) is a very powerful head (475 watts @ 8 omhs, 700 watts @ 2 ohms) with a neutral tone and it eats pedals really well. Also indestructible, so good for a shared amp.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 29, 2018

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Those are all killer used gear recommendations. For new gear, the best bang for buck is generally found in the Fender Rumble lineup. They are a lot better than the prior versions (I had a v1 and it was hot garbage) and they are light as hell.

Your dollar will go farther with used gear for sure.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

A while ago I tried an SWR Redhead amp at Steve's Music in Toronto and it was so slick. I guess they're not making them anymore but if I was in the market for a combo amp, I'd probably try to hunt one down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWqU_3YgaQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is craigslist or talkbass the places to look for uaed gear?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Probably CL if you're looking for affordable combos, though you can also search Talkbass for local sales. I did buy an Avatar 2x12 off some guy at TB for like $200 a while back. I think he sent it via a UPS account through his job, but he can't have made very much after shipping.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Shageletic posted:

If your priority is budget, craigslist.

If you're looking for something specific, talkbass or Reverb.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Facebook marketplace is also excellent if you live near a metro area. Higher chance of meeting a real person imo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Old Peaveys, from the 70's to the 90's. Old late 70's Mark III's are loving awesome but have a pretty distict sound, works well in punk & metal but probably not if you wanna play at somewhat lower levels. A firebass / Peavey Max (same head, different name) is a very powerful head (475 watts @ 8 omhs, 700 watts @ 2 ohms) with a neutral tone and it eats pedals really well. Also indestructible, so good for a shared amp.

This looks too good to be true: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/d/peavey-basic-40-bass-amp/6472069539.html

something that cheap can't be that good right? I realize its only 40 watts but i'm gonna be using it in a small room anyway...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

This looks too good to be true: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/d/peavey-basic-40-bass-amp/6472069539.html

something that cheap can't be that good right? I realize its only 40 watts but i'm gonna be using it in a small room anyway...

Well, that's not too hard to believe, really. It's an 80s Peavey, which means it's a fairly basic (hence the model name) solid state amp. There's nothing exciting about this amp--it was made to amplify the sounds from your bass guitar in a nice, clean way. Back then, bass amps pretty much never came with overdrive, distortion, or any other effects other than maybe a 2- or 3-band EQ. And there are no AUX inputs, no tuners, no footswitch jack (no need for one)... this was, and is, an extremely basic bass amp. In its day, it was probably one of the least expensive 40 watt bass amps you could buy.

Of course, back then, even the least expensive 40 watt amp costs more than you'd expect to pay today. It's made in the USA, but Peavey always managed to have USA-made stuff that didn't carry the huge premium you'd expect in USA-made products from, say, Fender or Gibson.

If you need something to amplify your bass signal and nothing else, you could probably do worse than get this amp. Try it out first, of course.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Shageletic posted:

They have one of these at an open mic night I play occasionally, I was pretty pleased with how it sounded. Nice and clean, no fancy frills and plenty loud enough for a small room.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Well, that's not too hard to believe, really. It's an 80s Peavey, which means it's a fairly basic (hence the model name) solid state amp. There's nothing exciting about this amp--it was made to amplify the sounds from your bass guitar in a nice, clean way. Back then, bass amps pretty much never came with overdrive, distortion, or any other effects other than maybe a 2- or 3-band EQ. And there are no AUX inputs, no tuners, no footswitch jack (no need for one)... this was, and is, an extremely basic bass amp. In its day, it was probably one of the least expensive 40 watt bass amps you could buy.

Of course, back then, even the least expensive 40 watt amp costs more than you'd expect to pay today. It's made in the USA, but Peavey always managed to have USA-made stuff that didn't carry the huge premium you'd expect in USA-made products from, say, Fender or Gibson.

If you need something to amplify your bass signal and nothing else, you could probably do worse than get this amp. Try it out first, of course.

Of course. Thanks everyone who helped me out!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Suddenly there are three Bergantinos on my local craigslist. I'm sorely tempted by the HT112/EX112 stack, and there's also a HT210 for super cheap.

I wish I could play some of the NV cabs. I've loved the sound of those every time I've seen a band using them.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Looking for some suggestions on new songs to learn. Something in the vein of When a Blind Man Cries by Deep Purple.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you haven't worked through most of the Motown catalog that should be square one for any bassist. Not even kidding, learning those licks and analyzing the lines and how they fit in the song will make your playing better in every genre. The lineage makes perfect sense for your taste as well; Roger Glover's biggest influence was Paul McCartney and McCartney's was Motown's James Jameson.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
"I Want You Back" is one that I think every bass player should learn. That and "What's Going On."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Agreed 100%. Get Standing In The Shadows Of Motown if you want charts. All of modern bass playing stems from Motown in some shape or form.