Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Had a nice game last night against my buddy's Dark Angels where the bored-out-of-their-minds wife and kids of a Magic player milled around our table, kids attempting to climb it and poking at models while their mom yelled at them vaguely but never actually told them to stop, nor did she ever actually address us at all or ask if it was cool if they watched. I yell at little kids in front of their parents all the time at work and it was taking every fiber of my being not to here. Ultimately I ended up conceding turn 2 when they just couldn't get the hint and I could no longer concentrate. When one of the kids asked how the game was going and I told them I was losing a little girl said "he always loses" and a little boy said "you should try harder", which was cool. There were like 4 or 5 of them.

Of course I hold nothing against the kids for seeing cool little toys and wanting to play with them, but who brings their family to a game store and just has them wait for hours while you finish a game? Who lets their kids crawl over someone else's poo poo and doesn't even look them in the eye or apologize? Really should have said something but didn't want to cause trouble for the shop.

Tell them if they break it, they pay for it, and if they can't pay you will accept indentured servitude instead.

Worked for me as a kid. Fear of being locked up washing dishes forever in a back room kept my hands firmly to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

moths posted:

Are Fallen Dark Angels armies a thing? I was reading the CSM codex and couldn't figure out if you could take Fallen as your <LEGION> or what that would mean.

You can't make Fallen your <LEGION>, but what you can do is give a normal CSM army the RENEGADE faction and ally in the actual Fallen units (Fallen Angels and Cypher).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Eisenhorn model looks pretty sweet but I dont really have any urge to buy it compared to a ‘generic’ inquisitor I can sort of make my own.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Played my first game with my Eldar last night.

Looks cool mate. Mobile eldar definitely are a blast to play. I’d say they can need some large units to be viable against strong armies - loads of eldar powers and stratagems really reward a bigger unit, rather than min squads of 3. Flyers are great though. Alaitoc can be a very good craftworld (consenus is it’s the strongest in the book by far) and the Saim Hann one only really benefits scatterlaser bikes, vypers and shining spears of the traditional Saim Hann type units. Counterpoint though, it’s awesome. I’d pick one based on how good your opponents and their armies are. Alaitoc can be a bit of a dick move if everyone is behind that curve power-wise.

And holy poo poo, can a house cat really eat a 30mm model? Why would it? I can just about believe a large dog could.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

And holy poo poo, can a house cat really eat a 30mm model? Why would it? I can just about believe a large dog could.

I'm almost certain he hasn't. My best guess is that it's been batted down the stairs somewhere and is hiding in a corner, I just don't know which corner.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Genghis Cohen posted:

My guess is it's probably in a corner or under furniture outside of claw-reach. Cats are assholes and will knock stuff over and play with it, but they won't tend to bite/eat anything unless it smells good or will help them clean their teeth (small flimsy material such as grass, plants, paper).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

On the plus side, looking for it has meant I've found all his toys and gained a new desire for a deep clean of my house.

e: found it. He'd managed to knock it into the corner behind the sofa. Surprisingly well apart from losing his little antenna, but those things are a breakage waiting to happen in any case and no-one is going to notice it on Scion #34.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 29, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

That's a cool game mat, is it official GW?

I don't think so. It's not one I've ever seen. The local shop has a bunch of mats for their tables, and we just grabbed that one cause it looked cool.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Looks cool mate. Mobile eldar definitely are a blast to play. I’d say they can need some large units to be viable against strong armies - loads of eldar powers and stratagems really reward a bigger unit, rather than min squads of 3. Flyers are great though. Alaitoc can be a very good craftworld (consenus is it’s the strongest in the book by far) and the Saim Hann one only really benefits scatterlaser bikes, vypers and shining spears of the traditional Saim Hann type units. Counterpoint though, it’s awesome. I’d pick one based on how good your opponents and their armies are. Alaitoc can be a bit of a dick move if everyone is behind that curve power-wise.

Yeah, I definitely want to take out that Knight and work in more vehicles. I might not even end up taking the Wraithguard - ideally I'd like to get another Fire Prism, a Night Spinner or two and two Wave Serpents with Guardians to hold down objectives. The bikes seem great to fly around the back end and hinder units, or to draw enemies in while I fly away.

I didn't use any stratagems this game since my buddy playing Necrons doesn't have a codex yet. My buddy very nearly tabled me since even though I was essentially using the Alaitoc trait, and most of the players I play against are pretty good, so I think I can swing Alaitoc.

Also, my cat chewed apart a Dryad model I had. I don't think he ate it, but he eats literally anything - my fiance and I have to hang up our Loofahs high in the shower b/c we came home one day to Zuul (the cat) throwing up pieces of one he chewed up.

Look at this little bastard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Technowolf posted:

You can't make Fallen your <LEGION>, but what you can do is give a normal CSM army the RENEGADE faction and ally in the actual Fallen units (Fallen Angels and Cypher).

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I don't think so. It's not one I've ever seen. The local shop has a bunch of mats for their tables, and we just grabbed that one cause it looked cool.

Yeah, I definitely want to take out that Knight and work in more vehicles. I might not even end up taking the Wraithguard - ideally I'd like to get another Fire Prism, a Night Spinner or two and two Wave Serpents with Guardians to hold down objectives. The bikes seem great to fly around the back end and hinder units, or to draw enemies in while I fly away.

I didn't use any stratagems this game since my buddy playing Necrons doesn't have a codex yet. My buddy very nearly tabled me since even though I was essentially using the Alaitoc trait, and most of the players I play against are pretty good, so I think I can swing Alaitoc.

Also, my cat chewed apart a Dryad model I had. I don't think he ate it, but he eats literally anything - my fiance and I have to hang up our Loofahs high in the shower b/c we came home one day to Zuul (the cat) throwing up pieces of one he chewed up.

Look at this little bastard.

Cute cat dude. This is the terror of Scions everywhere:

Re: Eldar, I really like/hate Wraithguard. They're solid, the flamer is great, and they're ok in combat too. A real bitch of a unit.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Re: Eldar, I really like/hate Wraithguard. They're solid, the flamer is great, and they're ok in combat too. A real bitch of a unit.

Aye. The fact they gave them a 'fall back and shoot' rule is really just a bit insulting to assault armies, too.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Cute cat dude. This is the terror of Scions everywhere:

This is an excellent little monster.

I really like the idea of Wraithguard, I was mostly trying to figure out how to use them. If I do webway strike with them, I can pop them up in the backfield to just wreck poo poo until they're killed from mass shooting, and maybe make them live longer if I throw a Farseer on foot with them. It could be a good distraction if I plop down my 10 Swooping Hawks on the same turn I webway them & the Farseer, then rush up with Windriders to just chew through stuff.

They're just super expensive, so i'm not sure how to use them.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised no one here is talking about the LVO drama over dickhole players been total asses to each other on the top tables.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I'm surprised no one here is talking about the LVO drama over dickhole players been total asses to each other on the top tables.

I was waiting for LVO trip reports. What happened?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Is this about the dude who forced an opp to forfeit his movement phase for deep striking before moving units?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Is this about the dude who forced an opp to forfeit his movement phase for deep striking before moving units?

And took so long doing his movement phases that they had to add a chess clock to the top table, and then got mad when his opponent didn't let him charge with a unit after advancing because he was supposed to use the strategem when advancing not when charging.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The two semi-final games were Nick Nanavati versus someone I forget, which had no issues, and Alex Fennel vs Tony G. I've never heard of Tony G before, but Alex Fennel is a great guy with an outstanding reputation.

Alex and Tony had discussed beforehand that they'd be taking a few shortcuts in the idea of speeding the game up, and measuring for eachother to eliminate arguments. On Alex's turn 2, he wanted to bring in his assassins, so he asked Tony to help him place and measure them near the start of the movement phase. Tony helped, but when Alex then went to move the rest of his guys, Tony said that because he deep struck his assassins he wouldn't let Alex have the rest of his movement phase. Absoulte dick move, was called out by all the people in twitch chat etc. Alex took it in stride and didn't just quit the game, knowing that it was being streamed across the world.

Tony won with that underhanded move, and played Nick in the finals. During a pivotal turn, Tony advanced one of his eldar units, but forgot to declare the stratagem that allows them to advance and charge, which you have to do before the unit moves, not at the charge phase. Tony said his intention was obvious, but Nick said no, because Alex's intention was obvious as well. Good mic drop moment on the stream:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuaveGleamingSpiderWOOP

edit: and a quote from some guy who actually watched the game, Eldar player is Tony and Guard/Wolf is Alex:

quote:

To further explain:

Eldar player took over an hour on turn one, argued over every detail, and then rushed his opponent on his turn. On the Eldar player's turn two, he took over twenty minutes just on movement. He was issues one warning for slow play.

Prior to the game, the players had some agreement on "playing for intent" that the Eldar player used and abused. 8" deep strikes, fudged rules, etc. He then went rules lawyer on the opponent, who did not argue about his mistake but accepted it for what it was. The Eldar player took up two full hours of their three hour match.

The judges are discussing the Eldar player's actions and the actions of judges on the match. The reward is for the Guard/Wolf player being played like a chump and losing to a complete tool with grace and dignity. He hosed up, acknowledged the gently caress up, and moved on.

quote:

Also as someone who was watching the match live I really have to hammer home the "argued over every detail" point. He measured and re-measured ranges on his opponents turn, arguing that things which clearly were in range weren't, on his own turn spent several minutes talking to himself about "do I wanna move these guys? No maybe if I do this?", hassled his opponent by constantly referencing the time (effectively soft bullying) and was in general a lovely and unsportsmanlike player. This was after taking an hour to play his first turn.

The tournament final is live right now (with this Eldar player in it) and they literally added a chess clock to the finalists table because Tony took so long to play his turns. Additionally a judge is standing 10 feet from the table watching everything. He was so unsportsmanlike and lovely that he had several rules introduced to regulate player behaviour on the final table.

I hope he never goes to a UK tournament like the 40k weekender @ GW, because a judge would have DQed him for poor sportsmanship within 20 minutes if he behaved like that at all. His opponent, Alex, was a complete gentlemen and didn't let it rattle him at all, and despite losing an entire movement phase in a tournament game only lost 19-14.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 29, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Good on Nick.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The co-founder of Riot Games also arranged for Alex to get a $5,000 sportmanship award (same amount as winning LVO) for being steadfast in the face of an rear end in a top hat:

https://twitter.com/MarcMerrill/status/957743092660027392

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Is this related to LVO dropping off the BCP app? I don't know if that stuff is time-limited or something.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I hadn't heard the whole story, so thanks for posting. What a total shitbag

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Is this related to LVO dropping off the BCP app? I don't know if that stuff is time-limited or something.

Did you search by date?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Corrode posted:

Yeah that's just gotta be due to time, I'm sure the BCP people are taking a breather after the weekend anyway.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Looking at it I think "recent events" only shows stuff that started within the last 2 days and other stuff drops out unless you're a subscriber?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Can anyone recomend me a good FLGS in the Madison, WI area?

Bonus points for left-wing patrons, multi-ball bonus if it isn't GW/doesn't have a problem with non-GW minis.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Tony is fuckin awesome

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Here is the LVO guy getting the karma train back in his face:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

panascope posted:

Tony is fuckin awesome

Tony sounds like he is not a very nice person, actually. Hth?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

Here is the LVO guy getting the karma train back in his face:

lmao

Ice cold.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Did Nick actually win? The FLG site is a tire fire and results aren't anywhere.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Nick won like he always does.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nick won like he always does.

Good. Here's a tidbit that's just icing on the cake:

quote:

If Nick Nanavati wins, Tony Grippando loses his lead in the ITC championship race, costing him a $3500 cash prize.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Schadenboner posted:

Tony sounds like he is not a very nice person, actually. Hth?

He dropped out of the Renegade Open on Day 1 when he lost his 3rd game of the day to one of my teammates. The guy looks really out of place at a 40K tournament.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I really like the look of the Gold-and-Purple Custodes. Does the red top-knot thingy have any particular significance or can it be changed?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
you can paint your mans however you want

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Schadenboner posted:

I really like the look of the Gold-and-Purple Custodes. Does the red top-knot thingy have any particular significance or can it be changed?

Go for it. It's just an accent colour.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's 10,000 Custodes. Your 20 guys or whatever can be part of whatever special task force you want.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Schadenboner posted:

Someone at the Ham Factory just had a hardon for red topknots. Abbadon, Khan, Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Callidus Assassins, 60% of Dark Eldar, probably some more I'm forgetting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Checking out the LVO stuff, that really sucks about the behavior at the top table. Personally I don't remember much about 40K tournament play from before 6th but one thing I do recall was that Alex Fennel is a loving gentleman. That's like the worst possible person to do that to.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I know they gotta churn these books out fast in the first year but yeesh, that art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's the clip of him being a dick:

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyFragileCheetahPeteZarollTie

He's such a good sport about it. "I'd prefer to play and if we said 'oh poo poo', but alright, it's your call."