Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Replacing my 2012 Macbook Air. Picked up a 12" macbook and its great. I feel like im leaving specs on the table cause the xps 13 has so much better specs for the same price but from what I can tell it and seemingly every similar machine has stupid rear end issues like trackpad problems or sleep issues. Does the latest XPS13 still have problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the 12" Macbook is, as they say, it's own thing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also buying new Thinkpads is fine if you are chasing a high-res screen. If you are not some sick freak who will pay any price for >1080p + Trackpoint/Thinkpad keyboard, buy a used corpo one for like a nickel

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Like how is this poo poo possible on a tyool 2017 $1k+ laptop

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7aq5xi/dell_xps13_2in1_not_hibernating_after_win10_fall/

I saw there is also a dell bios flash to disable the screen brightness auto adjust, like didnt bother to fix it just turn the poo poo off.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 28, 2018

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

That first one doesn't include a hard drive or a charger, just in case anyone else looks at these links.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Loving my 13" Yoga 720 so far, especially the screen which looks especially amazing coming from 1366x768.
The keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to after being so used to my X220 but it otherwise feels nice and has a decent layout.

My only complaint would be that the CPU doesn't go into turbo when compiling lots of source files so it's a tiny bit slower than my X220 under OSX for that one thing.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I didn't even think about buying a used ThinkPad, and now I feel stupid.

Hopped on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay and found a couple deals that were substantially better than Lenovo's. Are there any other used PC marketplaces I don't know of?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Duct Tape posted:

I didn't even think about buying a used ThinkPad, and now I feel stupid.

Hopped on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay and found a couple deals that were substantially better than Lenovo's. Are there any other used PC marketplaces I don't know of?

outlet.lenovo.com

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Loving my 13" Yoga 720 so far, especially the screen which looks especially amazing coming from 1366x768.
The keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to after being so used to my X220 but it otherwise feels nice and has a decent layout.

My only complaint would be that the CPU doesn't go into turbo when compiling lots of source files so it's a tiny bit slower than my X220 under OSX for that one thing.

I’m looking at one of those myself (other options are Yoga 920 and HP Spectre) so would you mind telling me a little about your usage? Like, how often/where do you take it and use it, what tasks are you doing, etc?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lenovo has design issues with their yoga hinges. I have seen more bad yoga hinges than any other laptop. They mostly break on the display side or really the lid breaks where the hinge screws into it.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Apollodorus posted:

I’m looking at one of those myself (other options are Yoga 920 and HP Spectre) so would you mind telling me a little about your usage? Like, how often/where do you take it and use it, what tasks are you doing, etc?

I'm mainly going to be using it for programming and studying when I take it out with me, but at home it's perfectly fine for playing youtube and some light games and such.
The main reason I wanted it was because of how small and light it is, I wanted something I could slip into a small bag and head out the door.

Don Lapre posted:

Lenovo has design issues with their yoga hinges. I have seen more bad yoga hinges than any other laptop. They mostly break on the display side or really the lid breaks where the hinge screws into it.

I'm not sure about the hinges yet, I don't really plan on moving it outside laptop mode but I would hope/assume that Lenovo would fix it should the hinges fail.
So far they're still stiff and not wobbly during typing or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I'm not sure about the hinges yet, I don't really plan on moving it outside laptop mode but I would hope/assume that Lenovo would fix it should the hinges fail.
So far they're still stiff and not wobbly during typing or anything.

They will always stay stiff. What fails is the lugs that the hinges screw into on the lid. Either the plastic breaks or the glue they use to glue the plastic to the lid fails.

I actually had one that pulled completely through the glass.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Holy smokes, I really hope they fixed that by now.
Looking at the hinges on this one it appears that they aren't entirely attached to the display, like, there is a few mm gap between the hinge itself and the display.
On the left it's connected to the hinge by 2 hinge rotatey thingies, and 1 on the right.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I'm mainly going to be using it for programming and studying when I take it out with me, but at home it's perfectly fine for playing youtube and some light games and such.
The main reason I wanted it was because of how small and light it is, I wanted something I could slip into a small bag and head out the door.

That’s good to hear—my 4lb VivoBook was pretty thin and light for 2012, but after my research trip last month in which I had to walk to the library and back every day it’s apparent I need something even less bulky.

The hinge issue is worrisome though—has anyone heard about issues with the 720 or 920? What about the Spectre?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rumor from r/thinkpad is that Lenovo US support is now claiming a US release of at least some of the new models including versions of T480 and X1C6 to the online store tomorrow

I bet it's aaaaaalllll 1366x768 models as usual

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

shovelbum posted:

Rumor from r/thinkpad is that Lenovo US support is now claiming a US release of at least some of the new models including versions of T480 and X1C6 to the online store tomorrow

I bet it's aaaaaalllll 1366x768 models as usual

It's silly that my 6" phone is 2560x1440 but that it's a premium feature for a laptop to be 1920x1080. Conversly my phone has 32GB of flash and I put a 500GB SSD in my laptop. Maybe they could just settle some of these specs in between.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

It's silly that my 6" phone is 2560x1440 but that it's a premium feature for a laptop to be 1920x1080. Conversly my phone has 32GB of flash and I put a 500GB SSD in my laptop. Maybe they could just settle some of these specs in between.

If Lenovo ever actually ships meaningful numbers of units w good screens it will be a game changer to have screen AND keyboard both be good for the first time since like maybe ever/2015mbpr

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Two useful links as I continue to use my X230 with modern equipment (thank god this thing came with two USB 3.0 ports back in 2012)

Pushing 2560x1440 @ 55hz is possible using the ye olde HD 4000 graphics of the Ivy Bridge i-Class CPUs, typing this on my thinkpad plugged in to a 27" dell IPS 2560x1440. You'll need to install Intel's "Intel HD Graphics" app and then set a custom resolution, but it totally works:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html

Great writeup from 2016 on the perils of buying a 1366x768 display rather than a 1920x1080p display:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-screen-resolution-ripoff

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don’t get why you’d need to, the X230 has a DisplayPort so you could just use that.

The HD4000 will happily do 2560x1440 and 2x 1920x1200 at 60hz provided you have enough outputs - that’s what I’m running on my work PC

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Two useful links as I continue to use my X230 with modern equipment (thank god this thing came with two USB 3.0 ports back in 2012)

Pushing 2560x1440 @ 55hz is possible using the ye olde HD 4000 graphics of the Ivy Bridge i-Class CPUs, typing this on my thinkpad plugged in to a 27" dell IPS 2560x1440. You'll need to install Intel's "Intel HD Graphics" app and then set a custom resolution, but it totally works:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html

Great writeup from 2016 on the perils of buying a 1366x768 display rather than a 1920x1080p display:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-screen-resolution-ripoff

What a step back that was from the 1400x1050 or whatever that had been standard since like 2005

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Nah that was never standard - tonnes of 1024x768 ThinkPads from the 4:3 era

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They offered 1600x1200 on some models, at one point prior to 2009; however brief. That's what, 1.6K screen in modern terminology, if we're allowed to include 4:3 screens in that grouping.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Intel announced today that they have Meltdown/Spectre resistant CPUs in the pipeline for this year

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/intel-spectre-meltdown-chips/
I hope the intel/vega combo chips are included in that. I would really like one of those fancy XPS15 2-in-1 machines they showed off at CES. Buying one and getting a meltdown vulnerable chip would be really disappointing.

Granted, the keyboard on that laptop is probably cancer with a travel distance that short. I've typed on one of the new macbooks, and the key travel reaaaaly shallow. Everything else about the xps15 really appealing though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 29, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Filthy Monkey posted:

I hope the intel/vega combo chips are included in that. I would really like one of those fancy XPS15 2-in-1 machines they showed off at CES. Buying one and getting a meltdown vulnerable chip would be really disappointing.

Granted, the keyboard on that laptop is probably cancer with a travel distance that short. I've typed on one of the new macbooks before, and the key travel reaaaaly shallow. Everything else about the xps15 really appealing though.

Doesn't the new 2-in-1 XPS 15 have that crazy maglev keyboard. I wonder if that helps the feel

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, it is supposed to. No idea how it actually feels in practice, what with being new technology and all. The MBP with a similar key travel isn't particularly pleasant. I know I am extremely interested in that machine either way though. Apart from the question mark of a keyboard, it is pretty much exactly what I want in a laptop.

Edit: Gizmodo does say this.
https://gizmodo.com/dells-xps-15-2-in-1-wants-to-be-the-anti-macbook-pro-1821849746

quote:

But perhaps the XPs 15 2-in-1's biggest advantage is its new maglev keyboard, which in my brief time with the system, feels even better than typing on Dell’s XPS 13, and a infinity more pleasing than the stiff, super shallow keys you get on a modern MacBook.
Really makes me want that machine. It looks like a good combination of features, portability, and power.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 29, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Aero 15 was on sale for a few hundred off so I nabbed one on the weekend.

Really liking it so far. Screen is real nice for a 1080p panel, great battery life, clickpad is fine once I tweaked the settings a bit, and I'm running bf1 at high settings no problem.

The keyboard is taking a little to get used to given everything is kind of shifted with a numpad crammed in there, but I'll adjust.

The build quality (the plastic basically) does feel cheaper than my old XPS 15, but then again for all that "good build feel" that XPS fell apart way faster than any other "cheaper feeling" laptop I've owned.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Australia has the T480s today but looks like no US stuff until March/April. Lenovo shoots themselves in the foot with these opaque and shifting release schedules big-time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Found an XPS 13 2 in 1 for $1119 open box at bestbuy. 256gb ssd, i7, 16gb ram. Couldn't resist and returned the macbook. The trackpad is "perfectly fine". Even has a 960 evo ssd (pm961 oem version atleast)

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 29, 2018

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
So I bought a Yoga 720 with 8 gb ram.
Since it should be able to handle 16 I also got an additional stick of 16 gb.
However I must have been reading the wrong documentation because instead of a slot with 8 inserted I found the existing ram hardwired and an empty slot.
I put the other ram in there so now I have 24 GB but I'm not sure this won't cause trouble.
Are there any problems I can expect with this configuration?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

scissorman posted:

However I must have been reading the wrong documentation because instead of a slot with 8 inserted I found the existing ram hardwired and an empty slot.
I put the other ram in there so now I have 24 GB but I'm not sure this won't cause trouble.
Are there any problems I can expect with this configuration?

You will not take advantage of dual channel. ~2-5% penalty in most applications, onboard video performance may take a bigger hit.

That being said you didn't have it before either so while it wont lower your performance you will not get the benefit of enabling it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

scissorman posted:

Oh, the 720 has a free DIMM slot? Is that just the 15" version or the 13" as well?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: lovely low travel keyboard chat

I've had one of the new rMBP now for about three months; either it's been fully broken in, or I've gotten used to it finally.

That whole "grain of sand will trash your keyboard" myth is absolutely true - I had a bread crumb under my up arrow and it gave me real serious grief while I slowly pummeled it in to Oblivion for the better part of a week. I'm certain that a more durable speck of dust would have permanently crippled my keyboard.

I'm a bit confused about key travel now though. I type at work on a crisp new mbp keyboard and then come home and pound on a 5 year old Thinkpad keyboard which now feels a bit mushy or like I'm using a TRS-80

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Re: lovely low travel keyboard chat

I've had one of the new rMBP now for about three months; either it's been fully broken in, or I've gotten used to it finally.

That whole "grain of sand will trash your keyboard" myth is absolutely true - I had a bread crumb under my up arrow and it gave me real serious grief while I slowly pummeled it in to Oblivion. I'm certain that a more durable speck of dust would have permanently crippled my keyboard.

I'm a bit confused about key travel now though. I type at work on a crisp new mbp keyboard and then come home and pound on a 5 year old Thinkpad keyboard which now feels a bit mushy or like I'm using a TRS-80

I should've bought a T25 lol

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Apollodorus posted:

Oh, the 720 has a free DIMM slot? Is that just the 15" version or the 13" as well?

I have the 15" 8gb version, which has a slot for another DDR4 2133 stick.
From looking at psref it seems that the 13" only has hardwired memory.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've only owned one Thinkpad ever, it was a Pentium 3M model that I bought used and had for a while in college. I loved that drat laptop but it bit the dust after less than a year

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

scissorman posted:

I have the 15" 8gb version, which has a slot for another DDR4 2133 stick.
From looking at psref it seems that the 13" only has hardwired memory.

Looking at motherboards for the 13 on ebay yea, no dimm slot

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just popped a 8GB chip into a Lenovo P51...there's another 2 memory slots under the keyboard for up to 64GB of RAM.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hadlock posted:

Yeah key travel doesn't tell the whole story, and is sort of misleading when it comes to laptops imho

For a mechanical keyboard, key travel is important because the activation point is mid-stroke. Mechanicals are nice because you can type very quickly and comfortably by not bottoming out every keystroke, and the more key travel you have, the more room you have to bounce across the keys like your fingers are the delicate toes of a ballet dancer.

Laptops are (almost) universally membrane keyboards so you have to bottom out every stroke. Most feel like mushy crap because you have to crush a cheap piece of rubber into oblivion so the key registers your input. Tactile response is arguably more important than key travel for a membrane board, it's all about how it feels when the rubber dome collapses and sends the plunger to the bottom. Thinkpads have a nice combination of stiff dome + lots of travel, so you feel a sort of "pop" when you depress the key and the plunger shoots down to kiss the membrane.

Apple solves this problem by having a metal dome instead of a rubber one, so they can get away with less travel because the tactile response is so pronounced. Which of course introduces a whole host of other issues such as requiring a complete loving rebuild if a grain of sand gets in there. I dunno what the gently caress Dell is doing, something about magnets or some poo poo, but i'm interested in where it's going.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got my XPS 15 today. First impressions are that I'm really happy I replaced the 13 with this - I like the screen size way better and the FHD display looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I succumbed to my lifelong case of Thinkpad madness and ordered a T25 when they came back into stock this afternoon. I strongly suspect that for my uses I will not notice the difference between it and a T480 processing power wise!