Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rip BTC again

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-cryptocurrency/tokyo-based-cryptocurrency-exchange-hacked-losing-530-million-nhk-idUSKBN1FF29C posted:

TOKYO (Reuters) - Coincheck, a major cryptocurrency trading exchange in Tokyo, has been hacked into and has lost about 58 billion yen ($534 million) worth of virtual money, national broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.

Coincheck posted on its website on Friday afternoon that it had suspended withdrawals of almost all cryptocurrencies.

The exchange has already reported the incident to the police and to Japan’s Financial Services Agency, NHK said.

In 2014, Tokyo-based Mt. Gox, which once handled 80 percent of the world’s bitcoin trades, filed for bankruptcy after losing some 850,000 bitcoins - then worth around half a billion U.S. dollars - and $28 million in cash from its bank accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tomapot posted:

Reminds me of this scene from Go “It’s Confederate Products, it’s, it’s a different company, it’s a different quality of product.”

https://youtu.be/OkdLWuCRe0c

Back in the 90s I was involved in a MLM for IT consultants, they were a reseller of products; computers, accessories and components. It was called HandTech and I could have built a downstream but all I cared about was being able to purchase stuff at a discount and gaining some commission on sales. I still have an HP1100 Laserjet that I got from some of the sales credits. I only did it for a year or two and probably made a few buck, I don’t remember having to keep inventory or any of that stuff.

So would you say you had a...

HandJob? :haw:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

I'd like to present some classic OG BWM:

11 easy steps to get out of debt

Not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure.

I'd really like a follow up about what happened to this kid.

Probably drowning in credit card debt, much like most of America.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Is the power buy post still around? The one where some guy was going to end up paying something like $45,000 for a lease on a $25,000 car?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You mean this one? "Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news."

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
That's the one. It looks like the contract is gone though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tomapot posted:

Reminds me of this scene from Go “It’s Confederate Products, it’s, it’s a different company, it’s a different quality of product.”

https://youtu.be/OkdLWuCRe0c

So, Zach, would you say you're open to new ideas?

If there was an academy award for weird creepy supporting actor, he would win it a thousand times over.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I hadn't seen that before and read through a few pages. Looks like OP managed to get in touch through AIM and the kid told him it was sorted and paid off with grandad's inheritance. So either he's still lying about it or managed to escape all consequences. Either way I think I hate him.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ktb posted:

I hadn't seen that before and read through a few pages. Looks like OP managed to get in touch through AIM and the kid told him it was sorted and paid off with grandad's inheritance. So either he's still lying about it or managed to escape all consequences. Either way I think I hate him.

Yeah, I read the thread through. I meant in the ~thirteen years since.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yeah, I read the thread through. I meant in the ~thirteen years since.

Ah sorry I misunderstood! If he got bailed out of that I can't see his parents ever making him actually face up to his gently caress ups. So if they're still alive he's probably still taking advantage of them and if not then he'll be squandering any inheritance. There's a guy at my work like this and he spends about half his time chasing any woman who'll pay for him to do stuff and the other half taking the piss out of our sickness policies all the while moaning about how unfair and hard life is.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sundae posted:

Check back in ten years and see how much of those kids' money went to keeping their broke parents from starving in retirement. :shepicide:

Of course those loving entitled Millennials should pay for their retirement. They don't know how bad Boomer life was when house prices are only ~10% of what they are now.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This was oddly prescient:

ellysia posted:

He's destined to become President.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=255&t=1721322

quote:

I’m going to start by acknowledging I’m a bit of an idiot and have made some terrible choices when faced with a car salesman. Please try and help alongside the disbelief and mockery. smile

I’m in a PCP deal with SEAT (VWFS). I got a Leon FR when they were new to market on PCP, then went back a couple years later when they said they could get me into a new one.

First time I paid window price. They insisted it was a new model, no discounts. I didn’t have a deposit, was paying ~£385/month. Salesman allegedly struggled to get this low, and had put it through at 5k miles a year, on the basis I’d likely keep or trade rather than hand back. I was none the wiser, it was 2013 and I had new car blindness.

2 years in, they invite me back in. I move up from the 150 to the 184 with DSG and fancy metallic. Dealer can’t give me discount this time because I’m in negative equity, they say they’ll write that off in lieu of discount. Again, minimal deposit and monthlies of ~£435, explained away by the increased spec. I like the car and was a bit oblivious, away we go. Same 5k miles.

That was early 2015. A month or two later I start getting the feeling I’ve been dry shafted but I’m past the 14 days. Look more closely at the credit agreement and see there’s a part ex value that doesn’t clear the existing finance, the balance of which is tacked on the new agreement. So I’ve been done. Much self-flagellation, have resented the car as a result. Decided to sit it out and never trust myself in a dealership alone again.

Changed job last year, I was always going to exceed 5k/year, but at 7p it wasn’t a big deal. I’ve started doing 15k/year, so I’ve used my 4 years’ mileage already halfway through the contract.

Did I mention I was under the impression this was a 3 year deal and it’s actually 4? I believed what I was told, I know how stupid that is, moving on!

So, I subsequently spend a lot more time on this forum looking at the deals, reading how other people have handled PCP, voluntary termination, excess mileage etc. - I’ve done some math based on the total credit amount and my payments, I reckon I’m at 50% end of June this year, at which point I want to VT, tell them to whistle for mileage and forget the whole sorry episode.

Obviously this leaves me with nothing, but in a position to go get into a better deal. I’m edgy about another PCP when there’s great leases available, but my mileage and some of the PCP offers I’m seeing right now for mid year delivery leaves me a bit confused.

A SEAT Leon FR is a totally bland appliance hatchback, which today costs £21k at list in the original guise he purchased, so probably a bit less at the time - but you would expect discounts in the region of ~20%. In total, across 5 years and 2 cars, he appears to have paid ~£25k to rent one for 5k miles a year.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Begall posted:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=255&t=1721322

A SEAT Leon FR is a totally bland appliance hatchback, which today costs £21k at list in the original guise he purchased, so probably a bit less at the time - but you would expect discounts in the region of ~20%. In total, across 5 years and 2 cars, he appears to have paid ~£25k to rent one for 5k miles a year.

Sounds like he didn't get mates rates
https://youtu.be/bnFPQpUk6Ug

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/venessawong/36-terrifying-financial-horror-stories

Many of these are kind of :smith: but there's at least a dozen good ones. A few choice stories:

quote:

8. I signed up for a credit card and charged two Snickers.
When I was 18, just old enough to sign up for a credit card on my own, I worked at a retail store and had forgotten my debit card one day. I was hungry and wanted to eat something, so I signed up for a credit card and charged two snickers bars to it for around $5. I don’t know why I was the way I was, but I decided to just NOT pay on my credit card and ended up racking up late fees to almost $500. I ignored the statements until I had to ask my family to help me out with that monster of a bill and it just now fell off of my credit statement three years later. Adulting is hard, but thankfully I’m now the financially responsible one in my marriage!

God, I need more stories from this one. Logging into a website and typing in some bank account numbers sure is hard, but it sounds like your spouse can't even do that.

quote:

30. Nobody ever explained interest to me.
Applying for a credit card as soon as I was old enough to, via a junk mail form in a magazine. Nobody ever explained interest to me in the correct way. I then opened a second one via my bank when I was 20. I had no idea I would go through redundancy twice a couple of years later, nor did I realise I'd still be paying the drat cards off in my mid-thirties. Credit cards are evil!
:psyduck:

quote:

16. Getting a car.
Getting a car ... with a payment higher than my mortgage.
:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

32. Since the HOA is so high, no one wants to buy in my neighborhood.

I bought my first home in January of this year. Some things came up, and I am moving back to my hometown in the spring, so I’m getting my house ready to sell. My homeowners association just announced that they are raising the HOA monthly fee 40% for 2018. My HOA fee is now only $75 less each month than my mortgage payment. Since the HOA is so high, no one wants to buy in my neighborhood, which means I have to let my house go at a $40,000 loss in order to sell it. So, I am now struggling with the decision to let my house go at a $40,000 loss and move home where I need to be — or stay where I currently am. If I could go back, I would have never bought this house.
I wonder if they bought in the first place because the "fees were so (unsustainably) low!"?

I mean, it is kind of :smith:, but it's also a cautionary tale of what happens if you don't look too hard into your new HOA's financial situation. I'm also hoping they choose to sell at a loss since I'm betting their HOA isn't going to get any better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

quote:

16. Getting a car.
Getting a car ... with a payment higher than my mortgage.

This could be really GWM depending on what the mortgage payment is.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I love the height of your hopes.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Wafer posted:

No doubt, following the standard car story these people tend to have, it will be a 20 year old Toyota Corolla banger, with ten other cars rolled into the debt for a total of $200,000 at 9% monthly interest.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

the talent deficit posted:

a bunch of ex-coworkers once got really into an mlm selling those hacked roku things that have pirated content available. all men

Kodi boxes? Usually low end android hardware with Kodi loaded and a ton of plugins. Now usually found at street vendor and malls that don't know any better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krispy Wafer posted:

search ya heart

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

very stable genius posted:

My MLM story is a friends wife who got into Beach Body and started making GBS threads up my facebook feed

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

search ya heart

My in-laws had a bigger car payment than mortgage. But then again their house was built by the high school shop class in the early 1970's.

So yeah, I know this is probably a 900 dollar mortgage and a F-150 Harley Davidson special edition with another F-150's negative equity rolled in. On lease.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe the car payment IS the mortgage because they live in their vehicle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RVs are GWM (it’s a joke)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

RVs are GWM (it’s a joke)
Thank you for clarifying I didn't know what to believe

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sometimes a car payment is the best way to expand your home!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I felt like that’s the kind of dumb thing that someone in here might actually believe since I’ve seen some people in this sub forum defend houseboats.

I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I "worked" for Cutco until my boss moved to Hawaii to become a monk, murdered a real estate agent, and wore her clothes while living in one of her listings

I poo poo you not

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ashcans posted:

Sometimes a car payment is the best way to expand your home!

In 2006 that photo would have been accompanied by an email asking "Do you think we can lend on it?"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

In 2006 that photo would have been accompanied by an email asking "Do you think we can lend on it?"
I don't believe you.

They wouldn't have even thought of asking that.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I felt like that’s the kind of dumb thing that someone in here might actually believe since I’ve seen some people in this sub forum defend houseboats.

I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic.
What does your heart tell you

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

They would make two loans, one on the manufactured component and one on the sute built component, for twice the fees!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

crazypeltast52 posted:

They would make two loans, one on the manufactured component and one on the sute built component, for twice the fees!

And three separate insurance policy's. One for the house mortgage, one for the car loan and one in case both loans defaulted.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/7toxux/i_may_have_committed_identity_theftfraudulent/
I may have committed identity theft/fraudulent activity. What will happen to me? How can I prevent it? (self.LegalAdviceUK)

submitted 19 hours ago by dreamchaser991

quote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. But I am very anxious right now. Earlier today I picked up a credit card dropped on the street. Seeing that it has contactless payment option, I used it to pay for groceries. In total I have spent about £70 without the account owner's consent.

I was stupid enough to think that act would be okay since it was a dropped credit card. Now I know I have done something lawfully wrong. What will happen to me? Will it help if I were to report the lost card to the bank ? But wouldn't that mean I would come clean I stole money from someone else ? Would contacting the person and asked for forgiveness and remedy help before she could issue an investigation?

I did not want to get my hand in any of this. The last thing I want is any criminal records on my profile. Please help me.
:what:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7thyml/neighbor_offloading_cash_onto_me_is_this_illegal/
Neighbor offloading cash onto me. Is this illegal?

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago by OverallMood

quote:

Hi all!

So first off, throwaway, and just a little background information-- I'm not sure what is relevant and what isn't... so I'm just sharing anything that could be.

I'm 17 as of last week. I live in Massachusetts, and I'm first-generation, living with my father, who (legally) immigrated from Taiwan over 25 years ago.

Financially, we're solid, though we live frugally... and while our home is pretty small, we live in a pretty good neighborhood-- actually, we're the most inexpensive home in a great neighborhood.

Our neighbors on one side seem like nice people, but we have virtually no relationship with them outside of a friendly smile or wave when we see them-- they're a young couple with two kids.

Until last week, when the neighbor-father showed up with 40,000 USD... in cash... saying it was a birthday present for me, since I'd be looking at university soon and he wanted to see if he could "help me out." (There was a birthday balloon on my mailbox put up (partially as a joke) by a friend of mine-- I didn't realize broadcasting this information could have such a repercussion!)

The surprisingly-light donation (it was four 10k stacks, all neat and with notation ribbons around them) was in a manila envelope. He told me not "to worry about the tax on it" as it was "covered on [his] end."

I stuttered a thank-you and took it-- I didn't realize at the time how much it was. I had peeked inside as it wasn't closed, but I had assumed it was stacks of 20 or something, or would be a few thousand dollars... until I took it out and triple checked.

My father is as weirded out as I am, but he's not really the sort to show much emotion-- he basically told me it was my money, not his, and he hoped I'd use it well. My father further told me not to worry about if there was something illegal going on-- that we would be protected from it-- and that the person who makes the gift files the gift tax return, so that's probably what the neighbor meant when he gave me the gift.

In the last week, my neighbor has left ANOTHER TWO ENVELOPES, each with the same amount of money-- even weirder, these were just left on the porch. No knocking, no note.

This is a clear sign to me something fishy is going on... but my father isn't bothered by any of this.

I'm not sure what the next step is for me. Can I just accept this and deposit it into a bank? (I deposited the first envelope, I haven't touched the latter two.) Do I need to be doing something different with taxes-- or alert my father as he does my taxes for me? If this is illegal, what is the likely illegal activity going on?

Thanks for all your help!

A stranger gave me $120k in cash and my dad is unfazed by it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/7toxux/i_may_have_committed_identity_theftfraudulent/
I may have committed identity theft/fraudulent activity. What will happen to me? How can I prevent it? (self.LegalAdviceUK)

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7thyml/neighbor_offloading_cash_onto_me_is_this_illegal/

(self.legaladvice)

Lol the neighbor is his real dad.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

(self.legaladvice)

I wanna know what bank let him deposit 40k in cash without asking a bunch of questions and filling out a poo poo ton of paperwork.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This dude:

Hey, maybe his life situation is such that an annuity makes sense. Probably not.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mourne posted:

I wanna know what bank let him deposit 40k in cash without asking a bunch of questions and filling out a poo poo ton of paperwork.

It's generally no paperwork for the customer and not TOO many questions, but they get all you identifying information and will ask source of funds. If any answers seem off or you are acting suspicious they will file an SAR and may follow up later.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mourne posted:

Things posted on the internet that aren’t real?

Why I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

It's generally no paperwork for the customer and not TOO many questions, but they get all you identifying information and will ask source of funds. If any answers seem off or you are acting suspicious they will file an SAR and may follow up later.

I'd count the Currency Transaction Report as a pretty big deal paperwork wise. It is how the FBI nabbed that Dennis Hastert guy. People always think you can withdraw or deposit $9999 dollars and somehow get away with something.