Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah, the best is when he turns Mac Gargan into a super villain.

I love Ditko’s version of the characters.

For real, except I was going to say the best is the first Spider-Slayer story. I can’t remember where I read it, but somebody once wrote somewhere that that was really the apex of Ditko’s run instead of The Final Chapter, because that story just puts all the Bugle characters in a room and then their personalities drive the whole plot. Jonah initially dismisses Smythe before Peter’s hubris lands him in a world of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Artsygrrl posted:

Iron Jonah rules, but after revisiting the shoddily made cartoons from the sixties, I think I like this Jonah too.

https://youtu.be/lUGSjaci6jo?t=13m34s

His reaction to the disguise failing kills me every time. :newlol:
I kind of want to know the situation in which being a random bearded reporter from the Daily Bugle is okay, but appearing as himself, the owner of the Daily Bugle is grounds for immediate arrest for being a spy, but I'm afraid it would only spoil the scene.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

drat it, Dredd, you're supposed to put your visor on as you deliver the line.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i appreciated this post

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Knormal posted:

I kind of want to know the situation in which being a random bearded reporter from the Daily Bugle is okay, but appearing as himself, the owner of the Daily Bugle is grounds for immediate arrest for being a spy, but I'm afraid it would only spoil the scene.
I think it's more that his fake beard fell off and the guard immediately draws a straight line between "trying to gain access to a military base while in disguise" and "is a spy".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What city has fourty game show hosts to be killed in the first place?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Megacity 1, obviously.

It's a really big city.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
LA

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
And that's terrible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Forty? Dredd gets on the case because there's four hundred missing. And this is a few months after the city has had it's population almost literally decimated by a war that flattened it and killed hundreds of millions of residents. So it's yet another way that Megacity-1 is a nightmare dystopia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Megacity 1, obviously.

It's a really big city.

It's pretty much the entirety of the east coast.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've got about 40 per block

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 30, 2018

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

MikeJF posted:

They've got about 40 per block

Don't the megacities only exist because of massive overpopulation and the fact nobody will live in the central US? After the Apocalypse War, 2 T (fru) T, and wasn't Mega City 2 wiped out completely by demons and zombies at some point, how do they have enough people left to rebuild an entire Mega City?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Don't the megacities only exist because of massive overpopulation and the fact nobody will live in the central US? After the Apocalypse War, 2 T (fru) T, and wasn't Mega City 2 wiped out completely by demons and zombies at some point, how do they have enough people left to rebuild an entire Mega City?

uh, so you are asking how the massively overpopulated megacity has lots of people?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, so you are asking how the massively overpopulated megacity has lots of people?

No, I'm asking how it's still overpopulated based on how many people seem to die in the comics.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Lots and lots of fuckin'.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nobody has jobs, it's basically all they have time to do. Also every single part of the city is overpopulated, so if you destroy 2/3rds of the city [Which is about what we are up to at this point] the 1/3rd that is left is still massively overpopulated.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mulva posted:

Nobody has jobs, it's basically all they have time to do. Also every single part of the city is overpopulated, so if you destroy 2/3rds of the city [Which is about what we are up to at this point] the 1/3rd that is left is still massively overpopulated.

I haven't read any Dredd more recent than the mid-90's but I assume that these days the entire population of Megacity 1 just make videos for future YouTube and comment on each other's MegaInstagram.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
From Prime #1

In which Peter Parker some random kid that's supposed to be an alternate universe super-hero where Spider-man doesn't exist smokes something he shouldn't have.

He later becomes Spider-Prime.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 30, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mega-City One is so overpopulated that there are people who live in constantly moving vehicles because there's not even room for them to stop.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Lots and lots of fuckin'.

If you don't gently caress like 14 hours a day, Judge Dredd just lays a hellacious beating on you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

An unwillingness to reproduce?!

Six months in the iso cubes!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mulva posted:

Two if my favourite bits from classic Dredd are a view of a school. And inside the teacher is trying to teach kids how to be unemployed. "Pay attention son! In the future this could be important to you."

The kid doesn't listen. Fast forward to the kid as an adult and he is working three jobs. (A model in the morning, a waiter in the evening and a mattress tester at night.)

The story ends with Dredd busting him for the crime of holding multiple jobs. By holding three jobs he has prevented two citizens getting work.

If only he had listened in school.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

joehonkie posted:

No, I'm asking how it's still overpopulated based on how many people seem to die in the comics.

The panel I posted is a series set before the zombie invasion and nuking of MC2.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Mega-City One is so overpopulated that there are people who live in constantly moving vehicles because there's not even room for them to stop.

That makes me think of the Subway system for the Underground Kingdom in Zork Grand Inquistor: Due to budget cuts, the subway itself has no breaks and literally runs 24/7, and the way you get on and off is by a padded hand basically clotheslining you in and out of the cart.

Wonder if that is how people get back on those mobile homes in Dredd.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 31, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They CAN stop, they're just not supposed to park anywhere for any period of time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that was the focus of the very first dredd story, no?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
being in motion constantly like that must really gently caress with your head when you get out to do something

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that was the focus of the very first dredd story, no?

The first Dredd story is Dredd avenging a dead Judge whose corpse came in chained to his bike. The second one is a dude getting cheeky after a facial reconstruction only to find out Dredd's bike ID'ed his voiceprint.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy National Gorilla Suit Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2n5gAN3IlI

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just remember a Dredd story where he called out to a random passerby to halt. The dude immediately freaks out and tries to run, causing no small amount of property damage in the process. Of course Dredd catches him and reads him the riot act for all the damage he caused while fleeing, and just before he hauls him off to jail, hands him his wallet that he dropped because Dredd was trying to return it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I dunno what it is, but I just love this so much. Captain America #101

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No! The Hubrisium buildings!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Defenders #9

I’m sure the cops are supposed to be people but I’m not sure who

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If that was his final published Marvel work it would be even better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My first reaction is zdarsky and fraction but I'm probably way off. Tbh after seeing those pics of the creators dinner those two could be like half the guys at marvel

E: after last seeing her in black bolt I'm pretty bummed titania is back to being generic jobber woman

site fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 1, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

If that was his final published Marvel work it would be even better.

Assuming he gets a Batman book his very first issue of it better have something similar happening at GCPD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Assuming he gets a Batman book his very first issue of it better have something similar happening at GCPD.

Oh it's a given.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Endless Mike posted:

Defenders #9

I’m sure the cops are supposed to be people but I’m not sure who

Idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The person being arrested is Brian Michael Bendis, who wrote the issue and also has been writing scenes of crazy people getting arrested into his comics for apparently 17 years. I think it started in Ultimate Spider-Man.