Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That stuff looks rad as heck, but I have to say those gloves look pretty useless as far as actual protection goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

pastor of muppets posted:

+ matching gloves

....kicking myself for not getting the jacket though :ughh:

Uhhh so unrelated, anyone know what size women's icon jacket to buy if you wear a men's 40-42 in Alpinestars?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Carth Dookie posted:

That stuff looks rad as heck, but I have to say those gloves look pretty useless as far as actual protection goes.

Yeah I’m going to get some gauntlet-style gloves sooner rather than later. Gloves are tricky for me because I have extremely tiny hands, so even the smallest women’s size is usually a knuckle’s length too big for me in most brands

Those Icons do at least have leather palms and armor on the backs, so they’re not completely suicidal, but my wrists feel woefully naked.

e: Ask me about practicing clutch control during the BRC when the friction point of the Star you're riding is past your last finger joint :smithicide:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 28, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you get the jacket, studded/spiked leather gloves would be perfect

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
gently caress that makes me miss my sauvetage helmet :(

Icon make the coolest helmets.

Still have and love my Merc jacket though.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I replaced one lovely Suzuki with another one.

Old poo poo

New poo poo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you ever want to have children, replace that seat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are those seat straps actually usable when manhandling the bike? I've only ever had models with big metal handles at the sides or rear of the seat.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Slim Pickens posted:

If you get the jacket, studded/spiked leather gloves would be perfect

I am going to stalk the jacket and if it goes up as a close out I will snatch it up.

Raining today so no ride, but the Hawk lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in2h6fRXscM

Keket posted:

gently caress that makes me miss my sauvetage helmet :(

Icon make the coolest helmets.

tha...that's incredible :catstare:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 28, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Are those seat straps actually usable when manhandling the bike? I've only ever had models with big metal handles at the sides or rear of the seat.

Only in a really limited sense when you've got one hand on the bars, one on the seat moving the bike and want something to hold on to. I've always wondered what those are really meant to be for. They seem like a useless vestigial descendant of a thing that was actually good for something.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They're for sliding the bill of your #SWAG snapback into when riding so you have something #DOPE to wear when you get to the #SPOT.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Old and busted (and still for sale)

New Hotness

2010 VTR250 with 8500kms on it and a red/pink one of these on it

It's so GOOD!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Only in a really limited sense when you've got one hand on the bars, one on the seat moving the bike and want something to hold on to. I've always wondered what those are really meant to be for. They seem like a useless vestigial descendant of a thing that was actually good for something.

At least in the US/my state, some kind of passenger grab handle is required if you have passenger pegs, and that kind of strap counts. When I has my wr250 inspected just had to slap on a lovely strap made of duct tape to pass.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dude Sweet posted:

Old and busted (and still for sale)

New Hotness

I want both! :syoon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Aren’t they grab handles for passengers?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aren’t they grab handles for passengers?

That has always been my assumption as well, though I've never had a passenger actually use it as such.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've always heard them called parcel straps. Assumed they were a holdover from courier-intended bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe they were passenger straps once but nowadays they're so flimsy I don't see how you could ever hold onto one securely. And they're usually at the front of the pillion area.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought they were passenger straps at first, but multiple people told me they're meant for moving the bike, and now I'm not sure? I think the tank is a much better place for my passenger's hands than the strap on my bike, it's actually hard to fit a gloved hand under the strap. It does make moving the bike easy though, left hand on the clutch/bars and right hand on the strap gets it up and down hills much easier than sitting on it and using my legs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Never even thought about those stupid straps - apparently it's a legal thing per google:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-a-strap-on-my-motorcycle-seat

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even thought about these things before, and just assumed they were a seam in the seat rather than a strap. :psyduck:

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Hello fellow efi VTR goon, went on a cruise today with the city all by myself.

Let me know how it goes with that slip on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wish honda would bring that and the CB400SF here to the US

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish honda would bring that and the CB400SF here to the US

I rode on a 400SF, it feels like it's something alive, like an actual machine. It screams for the red line making gobs of noise, especially when VTEC kicks in.

But it is against the character of the US market demands for lazy, big, highway machines. Not bringing it to the US is a sane business choice.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

mulligan posted:

But it is against the character of the US market demands for lazy, big, highway machines. Not bringing it to the US is a sane business choice.

As a motorcycle-buying consumer, I demand insane business choices.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

True, moving to LA has warped my sense of what the US market can bear. The vast, vast majority of US based riders are harley dads cosplaying in do-rags and sleeveless t shirts. which is fine but i want the good hondas too

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slide Hammer posted:

As a motorcycle-buying consumer, I demand insane business choices.

I'll take a supercharged 400 with SSSAs on both ends and electronically adjustable everything please

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Really I just want Kawasaki to make a Z400RS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

True, moving to LA has warped my sense of what the US market can bear. The vast, vast majority of US based riders are harley dads cosplaying in do-rags and sleeveless t shirts. which is fine but i want the good hondas too
As can be seen from Harley's sales numbers, they're all dying off now and all the new people are getting Rebel 500s and Ninja 300s. So it'll change. Even BMW is making a 300 now, they haven't made one that small since like 1967. Not Harley though, their "entry level" bike is still $7000 and 500lb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will be interesting to see what a few rounds of angry shareholder meetings does to kick Harley out of heritage mode.

Those meetings are coming, I’m sure.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Why is the solution "build cheap small bikes" though? Maybe Harley has plans we don't know about? We don't laugh at MV Agusta for selling expensive botique bikes of which they sell literally dozens every year. Does every manufacturer need an "acceptable CA-approved entry level" model to be successful?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Based on Harley's Q3 sales, yes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If they came out with a new Aermacchi then I might actually consider buying a Harley. The retro craze hasn't burned out yet, I'm sure they could do alright out of it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd buy a Harley Topper

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Why is the solution "build cheap small bikes" though? Maybe Harley has plans we don't know about? We don't laugh at MV Agusta for selling expensive botique bikes of which they sell literally dozens every year. Does every manufacturer need an "acceptable CA-approved entry level" model to be successful?
Harley is something like 40% of the U.S. market now, so to downsize to an Agusta level niche brand would be about like going bankrupt and getting liquidated i would think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The street 500/750's are Harley's entry level bike and everything about those feels like they're a learning model to teach them how to build small liquid cooled bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I could help them with that. Step 1: buy Rotax engines from Austria. Step 2: put them in sporty frames.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

biek

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm trying really hard to sell my bandit so I can get an SV like that but all the potential buyers in my city are jerks and don't know a good deal if it walked up and bit them in the face. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

It doesn’t have to be about selling cheap small bikes, but Harley does big volumes and big numbers. Shareholders are not gonna let go of that. There is no way they can go down to MV numbers and keep the doors open.

They need the next big thing.