Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DariusLikewise posted:

Electronic voting is a bad idea right?

Unequivocally yes.

Prove I made this post without coercion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

Unequivocally yes.

Привет товарищ

Oh wait this is canada

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

I will say that broadly speaking "the north" as imagined place within Canadian nationalist mythology has always resonated with post-1918 Canadian nationalists. despite the fact that 90% of canadians live within 100k of the American border, we identify ourselves as a nordic people, and the north exists in our culture and history the same way the wild west exists for American history and culture, complete with cowboys and indians.

my favourite example of this is the NFB's City of Gold narrated by Pierre Berton.

The difference is that the Americans tame the frontier, while Canadians gently caress it.

vyelkin posted:

idk how on earth you could write an article like that and not cite michael billig but somehow they managed it

Wait what does Billig have on this? I read him for something completely unrelated and it was pretty good so I'm interested.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We the north is some embarrassing gay rear end game of thrones cashin poo poo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

paul_soccer10 posted:

We the north is some embarrassing gay rear end game of thrones cashin poo poo

"embarrassing gay rear end poo poo" is when the raptors are at their best and besides it led to some great trolling from paul pierce

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

they are and its funny trying to watch them from here in the us because american commentators are basically like "lol who are these guys and why are they 2nd in the east ahead of LeBron?????"

I had 10th row behind the raptors bench for the loss to Utah last Friday

:negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Didn't they change the slogan to North Over All or did that get rolled back when someone realized how that reads?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Wait what does Billig have on this? I read him for something completely unrelated and it was pretty good so I'm interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banal_nationalism is a canonical text on how modern nations reify nationalism and strengthen national identity in banal, everyday, invisible ways so that when it comes time to fight a war or mobilize nationalism for a political reason we're all fired up and ready to go already

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banal_nationalism is a canonical text on how modern nations reify nationalism and strengthen national identity in banal, everyday, invisible ways so that when it comes time to fight a war or mobilize nationalism for a political reason we're all fired up and ready to go already

kick rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Not in CF, they can't afford boots.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Extremely my poo poo

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The amount of nationalism that Tim Hortons tries to spray onto our citizens is staggering, despite most people seeing right through it and seeing the giant Brazilian megacorp cutting costs and gutting anything redeemable about Tim Hortons out of the stores on a daily basis.

Look you guys! It's [Popular hockey player in the NHL] and he's playing timbits hockey with [kids that look like everyone, inclusive!]! God I love Canada

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

Reince Penis has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Jan 29, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

does Doug's mouth never close fully or what

every picture I see he's got this Alfred E. Neuman thing going on where you can just see the top row of teeth peeking out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Reince Penis posted:

How does this real picture look like a 90s CGI game or bad photoshop

ahaaahaha he looks like a Hutt

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Can we like bulldoze the rockies and let some of this rain out in to the prairies

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Socialize rain

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reality Loser posted:

Socialize rain

We tried that it was called the NEB and Alberta STILL hates it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

quote:

Ford said he wants to prevent the party from falling into the hands of "insiders" and "elites" and that it needs strong leadership.

"I have been deeply troubled by what I have seen recently unfolding within the PC Party," Ford told reporters in Etobicoke, a district in the west end of Toronto.

"Lifelong supporters have been watching in horror as it falls into complete disarray. We have seen backroom politics at its worst, insiders trying to politically capitalize at the expense of the people, elites who are disconnected from the grassroots of the party and don't care about the average struggles of Ontarians."

Ford said he would be the candidate to "clean up the mess" and change the "hostile environment" of the party.

"This is truly a critical moment for our party, for our people and for the future of our province," he said.

Ford, who took no questions, noted that "the elites" of the party "do not want me in this race."

this is entirely unsurprising and tbh either the rest of the pcs rally around a consensus candidate like elliott or ford probably wins

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

One vision! One purpose!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

this is entirely unsurprising and tbh either the rest of the pcs rally around a consensus candidate like elliott or ford probably wins

Yeah ford is like the one guy who could do landslide membership recruits in the short enough time.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I hope someone pushes some insanely slimy lines on him. Like "you intentionally ran Rob into an early grave because you knew you could never succeed in his shadow."

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

DariusLikewise posted:

Electronic voting is a bad idea right? Like I feel like everyone around me thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever, but any situation I can dream up doesn't allow for someone to vote in secret without some ridiculous skype session with a volunteer or some other stupid poo poo.

Having been scrutineer in a federal byelection last year I can say paper ballots are easy to manage and hard to mess with for fraudulent purposes. My candidate lost but we're confident nobody hacked or interfered with the ballots.

Compare with the uncertainty of electronic systems and reports of shenanigans...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Having been scrutineer in a federal byelection last year I can say paper ballots are easy to manage and hard to mess with for fraudulent purposes. My candidate lost but we're confident nobody hacked or interfered with the ballots.

Compare with the uncertainty of electronic systems and reports of shenanigans...

As I've been told by a super-duper computer expert friend, security would not be an issue if we used quantum encryption and it's apparently incredibly easy to stuff a ballot box

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I don't trust those electronic systems one bit. Seriously, just look how close Hillary got to winning

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Unequivocally yes.

Prove that you voted without coercion.

If we can file tax returns online, we can vote online. If you can vote by mail, I don't see why you can't vote online too, 1 per SIN or something

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Terror Sweat posted:

If we can file tax returns online, we can vote online. If you can vote by mail, I don't see why you can't vote online too, 1 per SIN or something

EDIT: Never mind, I misread.

PT6A has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Jan 29, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

Electronic voting is a bad idea right? Like I feel like everyone around me thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever, but any situation I can dream up doesn't allow for someone to vote in secret without some ridiculous skype session with a volunteer or some other stupid poo poo.

Given how hosed the Phoenix pay system is, gonna say yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Terror Sweat posted:

As someone who works in infosec and prefers all the modern conveniences that come with online apps and services, etc - Online voting should never happen.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Terror Sweat posted:

The absence of a second person in the booth with me is pretty compelling evidence.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

The absence of a second person in the booth with me is pretty compelling evidence.

Even if you voted by mail?

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
there's something sublime about the presser being held in his mom's basement

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

As someone who works in infosec and prefers all the modern conveniences that come with online apps and services, etc - Online voting should never happen.

Yeah, but with online voting you can vote while taking a poo poo. I tried doing that under the current system and I got yelled at by some geriatric prude. :argh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

McGavin posted:

Yeah, but with online voting you can vote while taking a poo poo. I tried doing that under the current system and I got yelled at by some geriatric prude. :argh:

I was gonna say, nothings stopping us from doing so under the current system!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Make elections a national holiday so I can vote first thing in the morning and spend the rest of the day shitposting

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DariusLikewise posted:

Make elections a national holiday so I can vote first thing in the morning and spend the rest of the day shitposting

that's how I spend every day except instead of voting I usually just take a steaming dump

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Terror Sweat posted:

Even if you voted by mail?

That’s totally different because it’s impossible to interfere with a paper ballot sent by post.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s totally different because it’s impossible to interfere with a paper ballot sent by post.

Does scale factor into this at all? I mean rather than coercion, fraudulent ballots. Or even something as simple as denial of service taking the vote servers offline.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Obviously absentee voting is a thing, so sure, if everyone absentee voted it would be equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

They've made it pretty difficult to do so tbh