Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

fruit on the bottom posted:

I never saw the movie

I did but I have forgotten most of it apparently. Mrs. Goldberg and Kimmy Schmidt? Sign me up!

I would have poo poo myself if Mrs. Goldberg was the Judge. Everyone would have been ultra-damned, but it would have been funny.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve never seen Bridesmaids, and that clip posted up there ensured I never would.

It's like an all-female The Hangover. Some parts are more memorable/funny than others... I think. I may have been drinking.

Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm fairly sure the show views these characters flaws as serious issues. It's not sympathetic to Chidi having an anxiety disorder, it's making a joke of it and arguing he's a bad person because of it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

i am the bird posted:

Not only did Bridesmaids make a shitload of money, it’s also been a widely referenced piece of pop culture. It’s like the go-to piece of evidence in the “are women-driven comedies profitable” discussions and has been credited for opening doors for some other women-led comedies.

It’s okay to not get the reference but like, :lol: that it’s not a well-known movie.

Hey man I don’t even OWN a bridesmaid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Always a bridesmaid never a Maya.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fairly sure the show views these characters flaws as serious issues. It's not sympathetic to Chidi having an anxiety disorder, it's making a joke of it and arguing he's a bad person because of it.

Allowing oneself to use a disability as an excuse doesn't make one a good person.

I think that people may be projecting a little.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's like an all-female The Hangover. Some parts are more memorable/funny than others... I think. I may have been drinking.

Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

That's basically how it was marketed, and it is essentially that except it hits a few somber notes along the way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering if there will be a plot point where the Bad Place was originally intended to rehabilitate not-perfect humans but the place slowly turned away from character-improvement but kept the torture (something something demons being incapable of understanding how humans work).

double nine fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 29, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

i am the bird posted:

Not only did Bridesmaids make a shitload of money, it’s also been a widely referenced piece of pop culture. It’s like the go-to piece of evidence in the “are women-driven comedies profitable” discussions and has been credited for opening doors for some other women-led comedies.

It’s okay to not get the reference but like, :lol: that it’s not a well-known movie.

I mean like well known in terms of references. I know it did well at the box office but that and "it's a female version of The Hangover" is literally all I have ever heard about it pop-culture wise.

I'll take your word for it that it is well referenced and I'm just out of touch with the kids these days though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Allowing oneself to use a disability as an excuse doesn't make one a good person.

my job irl is working with people who have disabilities (including severe/persistent mental illness). i typed out 2 paragraphs to try and explain how disability works, but then i deleted them. i deleted then because i remembered that everyone i have ever talked to who has said people with disabilities "use it as an excuse" has turned out to be either (a) a raging bigot in five additional categories, or (b) someone who admits to harassing strangers in public, because they saw someone who "didn't look disabled" who had parked in an accessible parking spot or who had a service animal with them

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2018

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Posting Whatever The gently caress That Was In The Thread About A Wacky Knockaround Comedy Romp: -367.8

Describing Something As "A Wacky Knockaround Comedy Romp": -8000

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yeah shame on that paraplegic using the elevator. He had better drag himself up the stairs with his hands or that is a serious moral failing on his part.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve never seen the movie, and I’d never heard of the actress playing the judge before. I like the character though and I think shes doing a great job of it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve never seen the movie, and I’d never heard of the actress playing the judge before. I like the character though and I think shes doing a great job of it.

Is The Good Place the first tv show you have ever seen?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think Jokes about Chidi’s Indecision are Very Problematic and

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maya Rudolph was a total surprise and also killed it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my job irl is working with people who have disabilities (including severe/persistent mental illness). i typed out 2 paragraphs to try and explain how disability works, but then i deleted them. i deleted then because i remembered that everyone i have ever talked to who has said people with disabilities "use it as an excuse" has turned out to be either (a) a raging bigot in five additional categories, or (b) someone who admits to harassing strangers in public, because they saw someone who "didn't look disabled" who had parked in an accessible parking spot or who had a service animal with them

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah shame on that paraplegic using the elevator. He had better drag himself up the stairs with his hands or that is a serious moral failing on his part.

Like I said previously, I think some people are projecting.

I'm not insinuating any of those things.

Please stop doing that now.

Anyway,

Disgusting Coward posted:

Posting Whatever The gently caress That Was In The Thread About A Wacky Knockaround Comedy Romp: -367.8

Describing Something As "A Wacky Knockaround Comedy Romp": -8000

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Good Place is reserved only for the best of the very best, it is not meant to be fair.

You could also argue that Jason is too dumb to be responsible for his actions, and that Eleanor and Tahani’s parents were responsible for screwing them up.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter since the whole point of the show is how unfair the system in the afterlife is.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
NBC had a midseason preview program in the Carson Daly slot on Friday night, and there was a brief Good Place recap and briefer preview of the finale. I recorded it but someone got a cam of it uploaded so that’s good enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBPoc_ZWcC4

It’s obviously spoiler-ish, but suffice to say, they’re directly addressing the systemic problem of improper placement

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Oasx posted:

The Good Place is reserved only for the best of the very best, it is not meant to be fair.

So basically the Jehovas Witnesses and there 150,000 max capacity heaven or whatever were right all along

If only I had answered the door

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

So basically the Jehovas Witnesses and there 150,000 max capacity heaven or whatever were right all along

If only I had answered the door

No, Doug Forcett was right.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

thexerox123 posted:

I'm guessing that the 8% that Doug got "wrong" is going to end up being the change that Team Cockroach bring about, such that he ends up 100% correct.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Kristen Wiig made A-list off that movie, and as others said, it was the beginning of the end of the moronic "are women funny?" debate. It was a huge movie, and is considered to have opened the door for women to join in on '"gross-out" humor thanks to that food poisoning scene.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My problem with Bridesmaids is the trailer painted it as an ensemble piece, when it actually focuses on Wiig's character, who is the least likable of the group

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So which hat was the right choice?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snooze Cruise posted:

The correct answer was to just turn around and leave, unfortunately.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

The white hat, that's actually why Chidi failed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chidi chose the hat made with child labor in a sweatshop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RBA Starblade posted:

The correct answer was to just turn around and leave, unfortunately.

Ok, but which hat was the right hat?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ok, but which hat was the right hat?

His right or our right?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

howe_sam posted:

His right or our right?

The one that is left at the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

swickles posted:

Chidi chose the hat made with child labor in a sweatshop.

Also the brown color came from thousands of almonds.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

The right choice was to make a choice, and not take 82 minutes to do so.

Both hats are equally problematic in terms of the labor and materials used in construction.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The right choice was to make a choice, and not take 82 minutes to do so.

Both hats are equally problematic in terms of the labor and materials used in construction.

OK, but really which hat is the right choice?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing is with Chidi is he doesn't have complete option paralysis, otherwise he couldn't even figure out what to wear in the morning. He only has it where his actions impact other people.

Not saying that makes him any less mentally ill, but it's a distinction.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The thing is with Chidi is he doesn't have complete option paralysis, otherwise he couldn't even figure out what to wear in the morning. He only has it where his actions impact other people.

The problem is, in Chidi's mind all of his actions impact other people because ethics.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK, but really which hat is the right choice?

The right hat was... the friends we made along the way?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that most people will end up immortal on a garden Earth and the 144,000 will become angels in order to explain the human condition to God (?).

So definitely not Doug Forcett compatible.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bull3964 posted:

I think that's a distinction that's worth making because, as others have pointed out, that's what makes it selfish. He spends an enormous amount of time and effort considering what he imagines the needs of others probably are, but never makes an effort to see what other people's needs actually are. He's the kind of guy who thinks he's being extremely considerate by making sure to serve you almond milk, buy you the right color hat, and book the perfect venue for your bachelor party, while failing to notice the 5 extremely obvious problems you really need his help with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

You gotta be metatextual on this. Unless they say he's got a mental illness down the line, he doesn't now.
That's not how mental illness or literary criticism work.

swickles posted:

Is The Good Place the first tv show you have ever seen?
I had no idea who she was and was pretty disappointed when she showed up, given the speculation about who'd play the judge before the episode aired. Apparently she's had minor roles in about three shows I've seen, some of them years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

the 144,000 will become angels in order to explain the human condition to God (?).

The Good Place will do it with just four.

• Locked thread