Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Avulsion posted:

Tried eidolon hunting for the first time yesterday after reading some guides and watching a lot of YouTube videos. Because I didn't want to join an organized group and drag everyone down with my incompetence, I just entered the plains randomly at night and (almost) everyone was there to hunt eidolons.

Trip reports:

Attempt 1: went as Harrow, hosed up the timing on my invulnerability and died constantly while failing to help my teammates or be useful in any way. Teammates managed to kill it despite me and I got a bunch of loot.

Attempt 2: went as Trinity, eidolon failed to spawn. Aborted.

Attempt 3: went as Trinity, did everything the guides told me to do. Hacked 4 (four!) lures like the guides said, spammed blessing like the guides said, ran away from the big explosion like the guides said. The guides did not mention that if the lures are still following you when you run away, the eidolon will teleport away. Sun came up while the lures were slowly making their way around the lake, eidolon escaped. Entirely my fault, but pubbies were pretty chill and just told me to wait until the last second before running next time.

Attempts 4 and 5: Trinity again, as above but with less running and more dying. Killed the eidolon after 15 or 20 minutes. Much loot and rejoicing.

Attempt 5: went as Chroma. Loaded in to the plains to find some dudes fishing. Aborted.

Attempts 6 through 8: went as Chroma again. Let the pubs do the complicated stuff while I just shot the giant monster with my purple dinosaur man. Was able to tank everything the eidolon threw at me without dying, killed it in less then 5 minutes. Got 60% of the damage on my first try, hailed by the pubbies as a great and mighty hunter.

Tldr: play as Chroma or some other form of DPS until you figure out what the hell is going on.
It seems like you've got it mostly figured out, but a few tips: get 2 lures only. Charge one of them first. Parking one by interacting with it can help a lot. It's trivial to charge the second lure during the heal phase (after 4th limb break) because there are so many vomalysts around.

If you don't have Oberon/Harrow and hence need to run away from magnetic procs, interact with your lure to park it near the eidolon. Then you don't have to worry about running out of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So my Karak is slowly but surely not cutting it in Europa even with a Serration of a much higher level than I could naturally afford at this point, and I still need to do Europa, Jupiter, and some Saturn then to farm for resources needed for a Harpak. MR4 at the moment.

Do I start potatoing, get better, suck it up, or what?

Two syndicate invader groups thus far - New Loka dogs took my full Karak and Lex ammo to mostly kill, with some leftover hammer time to do. Red Veil (I think} ancient suicide bombers at least sorted out themselves neatly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
have you heard of our lord and savior, the Hek

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Psion posted:

have you heard of our lord and savior, the Hek

To hek with it (didn't have enough neural sensors for overnight craft).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Drakgoon: is it me or is this gun weird and bad?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dr Cheeto posted:

it is both cool and good

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tell me how to drakgoon because all I'm seeing is a very, very slow shotgun with a tight spread and a glacial reload that can't actually punch through

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Tell me how to drakgoon because all I'm seeing is a very, very slow shotgun with a tight spread and a glacial reload that can't actually punch through

its bullets bounce off walls

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dr Cheeto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddtEPYJC9vE&t=268s

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hop in the Discord as well, we've had a few people start playing recently so it's quite lively.

Well, it usually is, but now we're actually discussing the game instead of going on FF14 tangents. :v:
Sorry, not sorry.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr Cheeto posted:

it's not you. Fire it quickly and it's a mediocre shotgun that wishes so very badly to be the UT99 flakgun. Charge it up and it's a mediocre shotgun which fires slowly.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Indecisive posted:

You have to chase it really close and focus on the engines to get it to stop (the glowing orange part in the middle), then when it stops 500 million drones pop out of its rear end and destroy you while 4 turrets open up and start destroying you also and you have to kill enough drones to not die while also attempting to hit the tiny tiny turrets in the ~30 second window before it starts moving again. then once you kill the turrets some other poo poo happens and i failed and quit and am not going back yet

I'm sure its easy if you have a levelled up archwing and maxed weapons, if you've just done each archwing mission once tho it's agony
I think you actually just shoot him in the back over and over and nothing else happens, because that's how the jordas fight went for me a few weeks ago.

I'm not exaggerating or anything. That's really how it went.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Drakgoon is an ugly lovely caterpillar that can transform into a beautiful butterfly that shoots cannonballs. Get it to 30 and turn it into a Zarr.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

super sweet best pal posted:

I think you're supposed to see the door and say, "Hey, this looks like the doors from War Within," and go into Operator mode, but I'm not sure how that's even possible when the door is in an easy to miss back street, especially at night. They really need to put some more lanterns along the path.

But even if you happen to find it by sheer chance, the door doesn't do poo poo until you've finished Saya's Vigil, even going into anime boy mode.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Sorry, not sorry.

Wasn't complaining, especially considering I was guilty of a couple of those. Stones in glass houses and all that.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To hek with it (didn't have enough neural sensors for overnight craft).

Craft the Hek asap, and beg a kind goon to provide you with some of the requisite shotgun mods. Also put an orokin catalyst in it also. It will literally carry you through the entire starchart (as it has me). I love this drat gun

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Do potatos and formas become more common at higher level stuff cuz at almost 70 hours played ive had one of each from alerts

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So my Karak is slowly but surely not cutting it in Europa even with a Serration of a much higher level than I could naturally afford at this point, and I still need to do Europa, Jupiter, and some Saturn then to farm for resources needed for a Harpak. MR4 at the moment.

Two syndicate invader groups thus far - New Loka dogs took my full Karak and Lex ammo to mostly kill, with some leftover hammer time to do. Red Veil (I think} ancient suicide bombers at least sorted out themselves neatly.

If you really like assault rifles, at MR6, get the Soma. It's the end-all for non-Prime assault rifles. The end-all of all assault rifles is the Soma Prime but it got vaulted. So in the future and if you feel like forma-ing a weapon 5 times, the Tenora can be as good as Soma Prime.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's cool and good because it's used to craft the Zarr, which is a handheld pirate cannon. :black101:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Khorne posted:

I think you actually just shoot him in the back over and over and nothing else happens, because that's how the jordas fight went for me a few weeks ago.

I'm not exaggerating or anything. That's really how it went.

They're talking about the Pursuit mission on Saturn not the Jordas Golem fight.

Indecisive posted:

Do potatos and formas become more common at higher level stuff cuz at almost 70 hours played ive had one of each from alerts

Forma yes, potatoes not much. After you have 1000 hours in the game you will have reactors in all your frames and a few left over. But there are a lot of guns and catalysts aren't that common so you will probably have to pony up some plat at some point. For forma run relic missions and you have a pretty good chance of getting at least one forma bp as a possible reward. Never run fissures alone since it means you only have 1 choice. Even just setting it to public matchmaking will almost certainly give you a full group and more options at the end. You might not have any of the parts but its a fine choice to pass on any of the bronze rewards for a forma if you need it. Gold rewards are rare and probably worth more than the forma.

For both you can also trade prime parts to other players for plat and buy potatoes or formas.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Indecisive posted:

formas you can get the blueprints from just cracking open relics, only lag is that only one can be built every 24 hours (always have forma cooking and eventually you'll reach a point where you just end up with a sizable amount)

potatoes only drop very rarely from alerts, almost always after a devstream (gift of the lotus alert) and sometimes? sortie rewards but if you want to potato a lot of things you're going to eventually have to decide between spending some money for convenience or start selling prime parts to other players

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Psion posted:

If you get Helios, make sure you get the infinite scanner charges from cephalon whatshisface because you're going to burn through a hundred even on a pretty quick mission. It's ridiculous how many things are scannable.

plus if you start collecting plants now you won't want to hate yourself when you decide to get Titania

source: I just finished Titania's quest last night

Jesus christ is this right on both counts. I just hit the third potion for Titania and I want (everyone else) to die.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's cool and good because it's used to craft the Zarr, which is a handheld pirate cannon. :black101:

I really need to figure out kuva farming so i can build the zarr

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As mentioned earlier, get a Hek and ask in clanchat for Scattered Justice. Also pay a visit to the dojo and get an Atomos blueprint. It's a secondary weapon but its insanely good even out till endgame. If you like flamethrowers with a chain-lightning mechanic it can't be beat.

It wouldn't hurt to make a Grakata either. It's a solid early game gun and with two of them you can make Twin Grakatas, which are the supreme secondary bullet-hoses.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

END ME SCOOB posted:

Jesus christ is this right on both counts. I just hit the third potion for Titania and I want (everyone else) to die.

I'm legitimately considering marketing a R10 dragon mod and just buying her with plat.
The grind for the credits and endo to get another one is less annoying.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Titania is annoying but the's not that bad; I got all mosses (mossi?) in 2 runs of the asteroid tileset; I have the 2x Simaris enhancement for the scanner, but it still shouldn't take you more than 3 runs if you know where to look for the loving things (they're always on rocks, and usually on shaded places. Look under stairs and keep an eye for a on the jail tile, there's usually 2 patches between the railings and the walls).

/edit:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 30, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Gorp posted:

I'm legitimately considering marketing a R10 dragon mod and just buying her with plat.
The grind for the credits and endo to get another one is less annoying.

Just open relics and sell what you get to other players.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

RFC2324 posted:

Kuva farming is easy. You find the planets with kuva siphons on them (they should be the two closest to the kuva fortress on the starmap) and start one of the kuva siphon missions. Somewhere on the map is a kuva siphon, a big red and black octopus vacuum. There will be a bunch of kuva grineer hanging out there, some of which are the invulnerable ones from the story. Blast them with your anime to make the vulnerable. The siphon will start wiggling and making a sucking piercing noise and a black cloud of kuva gas will spawn nearby and start moving to the siphon. Use any of your anime attacks to hit the cloud before it reaches the siphon to break one of the arms of the siphon. Do NOT use your amp alt fire as it can bug the cloud. You have to break 4 arms like that before it sucks up 10ish clouds and then you finish the mission normally. Now you have kuva.

On some tiles its really hard to see the cloud for me since its a hazy black ball that's practically invisible on my monitor in like the infested ship tiles. You can use a scanner to find it since its scanable but that's a pain because you have to switch to scanner, find it, switch to anime and blast it while it moves at about a run speed to the siphon. Also there are annoying kuva jerks around so consider a frame that can ignore them like slow nova, limbo, repelling bastile vauban, inaros. If you have a smeeta kavat it's buff can make you gain double kuva so consider bringing it since there is no other way to get more. There are also kuva flood missions which are the same except its a level 100 mission so its harder and you get more kuva. You can only run each node once but if you do them then someone else hosts you can redo them (great for floods). A new set of missions will pop up every 15 minutes or half hour or something real time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I got the 6k Kuva reward on eight Sorties in a row. I'm good for now (Why won't they ever drop Rivens for me dammit!!!).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You also can get a truck load of Kuva from sorties.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Kuva is pretty simple but all of the explanations make it sound extremely complicated, even on the wiki. I'm sure there's a good YouTube explainer but for me I just had to pub it a few times before I understood what was going on. Maybe my lovely explanation will help.

Basically it's just:

1. Find an ugly orb with 4 hoses coming off of it. Lotus will act all surprised like you haven't done this 10 times in a row and then a little girl will start yelling at you.
2. Go into operator mode when you see the big fat red dudes. Punch them (in operator mode) - which stuns them - then void dash on top of them. That drops their invincibility shield and you can kill them with whatever. They drop Orvius parts, which is A Cool Glaive
3. Every 30 seconds or so, one of the hoses on the orb will get an erection and begin to make a screaming sound. This is normal. In the direction that the engorged hose is pointing, the smoke monster from lost will appear head toward it. Go into operator mode again and either void dash through the smoke (bitch move) or shoot it in the head (like a boss). The child will whine at you

Do this 4 times and then finish the mission. If you're in a goon group, we usually split up and some people will complete the mission objectives while the rest do the kuva siphon part. If you're in a pub group you will probably have to do both yourself. Other than Floods since incompetent pubbies usually won't even try that. Some of the best groups I've gotten into started with pairing up randomly in a flood and then just continuing through and farming all of the available missions.

That's literally it, enjoy

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

LtSmash posted:

Kuva farming is easy. You find the planets with kuva siphons on them (they should be the two closest to the kuva fortress on the starmap) and start one of the kuva siphon missions. Somewhere on the map is a kuva siphon, a big red and black octopus vacuum. There will be a bunch of kuva grineer hanging out there, some of which are the invulnerable ones from the story. Blast them with your anime to make the vulnerable. The siphon will start wiggling and making a sucking piercing noise and a black cloud of kuva gas will spawn nearby and start moving to the siphon. Use any of your anime attacks to hit the cloud before it reaches the siphon to break one of the arms of the siphon. Do NOT use your amp alt fire as it can bug the cloud. You have to break 4 arms like that before it sucks up 10ish clouds and then you finish the mission normally. Now you have kuva.

On some tiles its really hard to see the cloud for me since its a hazy black ball that's practically invisible on my monitor in like the infested ship tiles. You can use a scanner to find it since its scanable but that's a pain because you have to switch to scanner, find it, switch to anime and blast it while it moves at about a run speed to the siphon. Also there are annoying kuva jerks around so consider a frame that can ignore them like slow nova, limbo, repelling bastile vauban, inaros. If you have a smeeta kavat it's buff can make you gain double kuva so consider bringing it since there is no other way to get more. There are also kuva flood missions which are the same except its a level 100 mission so its harder and you get more kuva. You can only run each node once but if you do them then someone else hosts you can redo them (great for floods). A new set of missions will pop up every 15 minutes or half hour or something real time.

hey gently caress you buddy!!!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just tried the Drakgoon and I have to agree that apart from the sound it makes it's the most unfun, clunky to use weapon I've yet encountered. Seconding the Atomos recommendation though, that gun rules.

What also rule are Hydroid's abilities. I never knew until now that I needed the ability to turn into a puddle of creeping death in my life.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
So, I just got invited to the Goons and saw the wonders of the Clan Winchester Mansion in space.

Beyond that, are there any blueprints/frames worth picking up the plans for besides the Atomos?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cactus posted:

I just tried the Drakgoon and I have to agree that apart from the sound it makes it's the most unfun, clunky to use weapon I've yet encountered. Seconding the Atomos recommendation though, that gun rules.

What also rule are Hydroid's abilities. I never knew until now that I needed the ability to turn into a puddle of creeping death in my life.

Hydroid is the only frame where I consistently use all of his abilities.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

So, I just got invited to the Goons and saw the wonders of the Clan Winchester Mansion in space.

Beyond that, are there any blueprints/frames worth picking up the plans for besides the Atomos?

Yea get volt for sure, you can wait and do the others as you have space for mastery. Beyond that just get whatever looks cool. Be sure to build kulstar asap, highest per shot damage in the entire game!!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Did my second sortie ever earlier today with some pubs -- four failures but eventually I said gently caress it and brought in my Slowva and holy crap what a difference it made. Nova's so cool and to think I hated her mechanics at first. I want Nova Prime soooo baaaad.

Got my first sortie riven ever :woop: ...and it was for a gun that you get as a reward only on your 500th day login, Zenith. I'm at maybe my 50th day. :lol:

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 30, 2018

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
protip - rush to MR 10 so you can build God's Own Boomstick, the Corinth

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? *B&W footage of a tenno shooting a shotgun at an enemy just outside the damage falloff range*

Exasperated B&W Tenno: "There must be a better way!"

*cut to color footage of a Mirage making GBS threads airbursting artillery shells all over a horde of infested and then picking off the survivors with buckshot*

from the makers of Blamwow! comes — the Corinth!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? *B&W footage of a tenno shooting a shotgun at an enemy just outside the damage falloff range*

*cut to color footage of a Mirage making GBS threads airbursting artillery shells all over a horde of infested and then picking off the survivors with buckshot*

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

paranoid randroid posted:

r

Mirage+Corinth is so good I went back to grinding bounties on the plains just to see it work. Watching a dropship explode into numbers never gets old. The trick is to swoop up just before the troops drop off and fire the burst above the ship, then fall down among a shower of corpses.