Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Checking out the LVO stuff, that really sucks about the behavior at the top table. Personally I don't remember much about 40K tournament play from before 6th but one thing I do recall was that Alex Fennel is a loving gentleman. That's like the worst possible person to do that to.

I've not really played attention to this season, but I've found that basically all of the top level 40k players are great people, the problems are the few people in the 2nd and 3rd brackets that are bitter about not being good enough. They're noisy enough to taint competitive 40k for the casual fans. From this, I'd guess Tony is one of those 2nd tier people who lucked into a top spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Here's the clip of him being a dick:

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyFragileCheetahPeteZarollTie

He's such a good sport about it. "I'd prefer to play and if we said 'oh poo poo', but alright, it's your call."

lol at Tony being like "are you sure?" when Alex is like "well, OK I'll play" because he's fishing for a full concession. I'm actually surprised he didn't press him on that too and claim the handshake made the concession final

what a piece of poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Someone at the Ham Factory just had a hardon for red topknots. Abbadon, Khan, Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Callidus Assassins, 60% of Dark Eldar, probably some more I'm forgetting.

Archaon from Fantasy suddenly got a topknot when they redid his model for Age of Sigmar.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Archaon from Fantasy suddenly got a topknot when they redid his model for Age of Sigmar.

It's kind of like your hair standing up in DBZ when you reach a new power level.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol at Tony being like "are you sure?" when Alex is like "well, OK I'll play" because he's fishing for a full concession. I'm actually surprised he didn't press him on that too and claim the handshake made the concession final

what a piece of poo poo

That dude just developed a worldwide reputation as an absolute dickhead.

Other content: tweaked my Eldar list. Advice/Critique?

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [101 PL, 1999pts] +++

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

+ Flyer +

Crimson Hunter Exarch: Two Bright Lances

Hemlock Wraithfighter: 2. Embolden/Horrify, Spirit Stones

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ Heavy Support +

Fire Prism: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

Farseer Skyrunner: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +

Swooping Hawks
. 9x Swooping Hawk: 9x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Lasblaster, Power sword

Windriders
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

Windriders

Windriders

Windriders

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner: 5: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter, Fusion Gun, Shimmerplume of Achillrial, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Warlord

Autarch Skyrunner: Fusion Gun, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Farseer: 4. Executioner, 6. Mind War, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

Warlock Skyrunner: 5. Quicken/Restrain, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

Warlock Skyrunner: 5. Quicken/Restrain, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Elites +

Wraithguard: D-scythe, 5x Wraithguard

Created with BattleScribe

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've not really played attention to this season, but I've found that basically all of the top level 40k players are great people, the problems are the few people in the 2nd and 3rd brackets that are bitter about not being good enough. They're noisy enough to taint competitive 40k for the casual fans. From this, I'd guess Tony is one of those 2nd tier people who lucked into a top spot.

Yeah. There's one guy in the UK who has a rep for cheating, but most of the best players are perfectly good dudes, it's the also-rans who can tend to be dicks.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is it currently worth magnetizing an entire wraithguard kit? Are all of the options viable or is it just best to go wtih d-scythes?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I hate magnetizing arms with a passion. I'd build them how you want, then counts-as for friendly games and small tournaments with a culture that allows that. Most people can't identify a D cannon or D scythe anyway.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What about for the melee weapons?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Partial Octopus posted:

What about for the melee weapons?

I'd magnetize for drastically different looking weapons. Like I have no intention of magnetizing my hellblasters because all the plasma incinerators look the same (and its really hard to do with the DI models), but my Reivers I went through the hassle of doing because someday I might want Knives...maybe?

Also, from what I understand Tony is a consistently top player, despite him being an rear end.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I hate magnetizing arms with a passion. I'd build them how you want, then counts-as for friendly games and small tournaments with a culture that allows that. Most people can't identify a D cannon or D scythe anyway.

How's magnetizing hands vs arms?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Slightly better for big wraith arms, but even then I'm not a fan. Storing those extra guns always gives me an issue.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Do we know if the Custodes are Primaris size or more like the older dudes?

edit: V Thank you sir V

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 29, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StuG Jeebus posted:

Do we know if the Custodes are Primaris size or more like the older dudes?

Based on comparison photos from when the Primarii first came out they're more-or-less the same size.

http://betweenthebolterandme.blogspot.com/2017/06/primaris-space-marines-first-impressions.html

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I know they gotta churn these books out fast in the first year but yeesh, that art.

I think all the 8th edition codex books have re-used cover art from the 7th edition books as a time saver. The Custodes art comes from the mini codex in the Talons of the Emperor box, which itself was probably [probably done on the cheap with no intention of being a full book cover. They really should have replaced it because that picture is not as good as some of the stuff inside the codex.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm fine with reused cover art, but that custodes color plate Schadenboner posted is an awful coloring job. Looks like something slightly better than I would have done in high school.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh yeah, that's just shite. The plates are a lot worse than the ones in the DA book. They look like a hold over from the pre-Gathering Storm era low effort rubbish. Which they may well be.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

My thoughts are:
- Hemlock: give it Jinx instead of Horrify. While the -1 LD adds to the -2 LD, it's not going to be that significant of a difference. Meanwhile, your STR 12, autohit D-Scythes are likely going to be targeting things with an invulnerable save and Jinx affects that as well.
- Skyrunner Autarchs: Give them a laser lance and banshee mask (index list) as well - they can fire it in addition to the fusion guns and gives them teeth on the charge. A Skyrunner Autarch with a Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, and Mark of hte Incomparable Hunter can kill just about any character - especially if the Hemlock gets a Jinx off on it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I watched the last 2 LVO games live, when Tony pulled that poo poo against Alex I had to get up and walk away from the TV. Probably the shittiest sportsmanship I’ve seen at a high level tourney.

But man, when Tony got hosed by exactly the same pedantry in the final game, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so consumed by schadenfruede.

Nick literally said to Tony ‘well, it’s exactly what you did to Alex last game, so’

gently caress Tony.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

My thoughts are:
- Hemlock: give it Jinx instead of Horrify. While the -1 LD adds to the -2 LD, it's not going to be that significant of a difference. Meanwhile, your STR 12, autohit D-Scythes are likely going to be targeting things with an invulnerable save and Jinx affects that as well.
- Skyrunner Autarchs: Give them a laser lance and banshee mask (index list) as well - they can fire it in addition to the fusion guns and gives them teeth on the charge. A Skyrunner Autarch with a Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, and Mark of hte Incomparable Hunter can kill just about any character - especially if the Hemlock gets a Jinx off on it.

I can definitely do that. That's a really good idea for the Hemlock. I was thinking of doing that, but i dunno about using index entries for my list. i don't actually have the index, and is that allowed in tournaments? i want to actually try competing with this list (even though it will lose).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeast posted:

I watched the last 2 LVO games live, when Tony pulled that poo poo against Alex I had to get up and walk away from the TV. Probably the shittiest sportsmanship I’ve seen at a high level tourney.

But man, when Tony got hosed by exactly the same pedantry in the final game, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so consumed by schadenfruede.

Nick literally said to Tony ‘well, it’s exactly what you did to Alex last game, so’

gently caress Tony.

Tony was right, and should’ve won.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

panascope posted:

Nah

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Tony also never got past 2 in the entire event. He slow plays and the only reason he played faster in the final game is because of the judge standing there.

He is a piece of poo poo.

I'm also a piece of poo poo nobody who went 1-2-1 And dropped because I didn't have any skin in the event to hang out with all my friends in Vegas. It was a much more enjoyable time. My last game was against 300 orks and spoiler we didn't get past turn 2.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

He was categorically wrong and completely at the mercy of his opponent to throw him a bone.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Naramyth posted:

Tony also never got past 2 in the entire event. He slow plays and the only reason he played faster in the final game is because of the judge standing there.

I'm also a piece of poo poo nobody who went 1-2-1 And dropped because I didn't have any skin in the event to hang out with all my friends in Vegas. It was a much more enjoyable time. My last game was against 300 orks and spoiler we didn't get past turn 2.

Oh god, one of our local guys was playing nids/cult/guard and had to help him deploy when they played.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Naramyth posted:

Lmao

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hencoe posted:

Oh god, one of our local guys was playing nids/cult/guard and had to help him deploy when they played.

Why on earth would you not magnetise everything to movement trays if you were using that many models?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Why on earth would you not magnetise everything to movement trays if you were using that many models?

Dude plays to win #tonyshouldofwon

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Dude plays to win #tonyshouldofwon
*Should have

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Is slow playing a strategy of some sort? I've only done beerhammer type games with friends, or people who weren't at all competitive- does it provide some sort of advantage to the slower-playing person other than driving their opponent nuts?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If you are going to win by holding points, and you can get there, but not allow you opponent enough time to kill your guys ... yes it's a good strategy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Immanentized posted:

Is slow playing a strategy of some sort? I've only done beerhammer type games with friends, or people who weren't at all competitive- does it provide some sort of advantage to the slower-playing person other than driving their opponent nuts?

Most tournaments will have organizers who are either wise to it and will warn players or will be willing to warn/cut short players who slow play. It's thankfully not as bad as Warmachine was with chess timers (most of the time), but there are some who play to the clock knowing they can't win and draw it out instead for more points. Those people should be shot into the sun. If you're ever in a tournament when that occurs, call discuss it with them first as a friendly warning and if they continue call over a TO. That poo poo should not fly.

From a game perspective most tournaments play for points, where tablings and absolute awful games go very low, whereas middling games and draws pull low-to-mid points. So if they get a bad match (their own fault), they drag it out to try and force a tie and scrape a draw/minor loss instead of a complete loss.

Edit:

dexefiend posted:

If you are going to win by holding points, and you can get there, but not allow you opponent enough time to kill your guys ... yes it's a good strategy.
It's possible to win by slow-playing too, if the TOs let it happen. I thankfully have never been on the receiving end of this, because I'm typically a calm player but that would drive me insane.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 30, 2018

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Slow playing can be very advantageous if you build a list/play specifically to win on turn 2-3 versus most people who build lists/play to win on turn 5, 6 or 7. He has control over when the game will end, in a way.

Also panascope is just being devil's advocate. If he felt Tony should have won the game he exploited lovely rulings (including being deceptive and acting 100% against how he promised) then he would be championing Nick for doing it back to him, and he would be saying Nick should have won.

I don't think he is being a piece of poo poo who wants a scummy player to win who did not even practice what he preached, just because he likes evil.
We all know nurglings are not that way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel bad about taking too long. That's why I'm working on Primaris.

I must not be a competitive player.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
There used to be at least a bit of an excuse with templates in play. Clustering models meant you could lose a ton. As someone who plays hordes all the time, especially in an edition where clustering models makes no difference, if you slow play competitively you're doing it intentionally.

In a friendly game take all the time in the world, within reason.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I have a bunch of Unassembled Primaris I don't know what to do with left over after putting together my Death Guard and have exhausted all local channels for getting rid of the drat things (not that there were many).

I figured i'd check in here and see if anyone would be willing to do a 1 to 1 swap of my Primaris half of Dark Imperium with the Death Guard half.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AnEdgelord posted:

So I have a bunch of Unassembled Primaris I don't know what to do with left over after putting together my Death Guard and have exhausted all local channels for getting rid of the drat things (not that there were many).

I figured i'd check in here and see if anyone would be willing to do a 1 to 1 swap of my Primaris half of Dark Imperium with the Death Guard half.

The set sells fairly well on eBay. Or you can sell them off piecemeal.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

drat, if only you'd posted this a few weeks ago. Oh well, I'm sure there's someone out there.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

I can definitely do that. That's a really good idea for the Hemlock. I was thinking of doing that, but i dunno about using index entries for my list. i don't actually have the index, and is that allowed in tournaments? i want to actually try competing with this list (even though it will lose).

Yeah, jinx is great on hemlocks.

Index wargear is allowed, yes. There's an official flowchart explaining it.

The only reason that stuff isn't in the codex is because GW hates us and makes a single plastic Autarch with zero weapon options. All the index weapon options pretty much require you to have leftover bits from aspect warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Schadenboner posted:

Can anyone recomend me a good FLGS in the Madison, WI area?

Bonus points for left-wing patrons, multi-ball bonus if it isn't GW/doesn't have a problem with non-GW minis.

Misty Mountain is a little grognardy but not awful. Pegasus is weird, dont go, and I am Bored is really nice and super friendly, but not a garunteed playgroup.