Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DoktorLoken posted:

Put it under a lot of stress or hit the back of the blade and see what happens to a $3 liner lock vs. a Spyderco. Idk if they're still made, but Spyderco makes some cheaper knives in China for like $40. Really solid knife that I'm not afraid to lose or break.

These aren't things I do. Sounds like I'm just not in the demographic for high end knives. I could buy a lifetime supply of these cheap ones for less than a mid-range Spyderco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

100 yards and my final two (5 shot) groups where the top left and top right corner.

also dont worry about those lil guys outside the target, my scope was grossly out of alignment.

A good boresight will save you lots of bullets. Or put it in a vise, pull the bolt out, and look down the barrel. Adjust the scope to where the barrel is pointed.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Godholio posted:

These aren't things I do. Sounds like I'm just not in the demographic for high end knives. I could buy a lifetime supply of these cheap ones for less than a mid-range Spyderco.

The counterargument is that you wouldn't need to buy a lifetime supply of cheap knives if you bought a single decent knife.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Internet Wizard posted:

The counterargument is that you wouldn't need to buy a lifetime supply of cheap knives if you bought a single decent knife.

The Vime's Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness strikes again

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I took the lead actress for my film out shooting to get her trained. The full list:

* Smith & Wesson .38 Special (6 inch barrel)
* Glock 19
* Mossberg 500
* Uzi
* Desert Eagle .50 AE

The Deagle was $20 for 5 rounds and I couldn't pass it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9dUIpxYnAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lUYNIko_8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm at a decade+ with the first one, so I'm ok with it. If I had ever run across problems with knives chipping or breaking with normal use, I'd spend extra to get something more durable. But I've pried, cut, etc for years and never had an issue. Maybe I lucked into a good and cheap one, I dunno. I just have a hard time imagine what people are doing any different that's making blades snap on the reg.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not so much snap as the locks themselves aren't safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaLhPPNHsA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Internet Wizard posted:

The army gave me a gerber applegate-fairbairn in 2005. It's still kicking around in my apartment somewhere. Dull as hell now, but sharpens up nicely.

So your point is valid.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Buy once, cry once.

... or just get issued a nice knife made by a company with good customer service. That works, too. :shrug:

I sent it back to Benchmade a few months after I got out. The blade was chipped and didn't have a tip (because somebody thought that knives are for throwing at poo poo; loving idiot), and the action was gritty from having so much dirt and sand through it. They cleaned it up and put a new edge on the blade for free. The serrations are still chewed up, but, eh.

Every once in a while, I just pull it apart to clean out the pocket lint, give it a bit of oil, and touch up the edge. It's a fantastic tool. At the time I got it, I wouldn't have thought it was worth the price tag. Now, though? Yeah. It would have paid it and been happy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I like Benchmade too :toot:

The OTF knife is currently on desk duty since I broke the pocket clip when a shirt got caught on it. Thankfully Benchmade has one in the mail to me.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I lose things a lot so cheap knives ahoy

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Bloodgun upper mk2. Colt 11.5" SOCOM profile barrel, Hodge Defense upper and 10.75" rail.

Zeroed it yesterday and accuracy was what you'd expect from a Colt chrome lined barrel. It ran fine both with and without the can. I had been hoping that the thicker barrel profile would mean less POI shift, but it's the same as most of my other rifles at about 1 mil. The Hodge handguard feels super thin in the hand, and despite being the same weight as the DD RIS II it replaced, makes the rifle feel much lighter and handier. It was also very difficult to find, and it was only by complete luck that I found one in stock.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Maybe this is something that some of you have experience with, is there a trick to getting an M4 RAS to completely seat on the delta ring/barrel nut? My BCM M4A1 (the heavier profile barrel) has a P&S RAS (same as the KAC, just different manufacturer) that seems to be rock solid, but I can still notice that the delta ring is canted a bit with the top rail half installed which to me says the rail isn't fully seated or something is slightly out of spec.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did you take the screw out of the top rear rail that holds onto that clamp thing? That seems to be a common issue.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The screw is in there and tightened.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just found out, with the way that IL law works, the process that I'd have to go through for an SBR would allow me to travel into other states with it unrestricted (read: without waiting for permission from the ATF). Because in order to own an SBR in IL I'd need a C&R license (03 FFL).

This absolutely led to the ATF originally thinking that IL only allowed C&R rifles to be SBR'd until IL legislators were forced to clarify.

Might as well start the process, though, because my dumb rear end wants an SBR'd ARX-100.

Edit: I want to pick up the ARX-100 and a 92A1 in 9mm so I can start in on a "civilian versions of NATO-standard service weapon platforms" collection and knock out both US and Italy on the country list, and now that I know I can (in theory) own an SBR I just want a stubby space guppy.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Professor Bling posted:

I just found out, with the way that IL law works, the process that I'd have to go through for an SBR would allow me to travel into other states with it unrestricted (read: without waiting for permission from the ATF). Because in order to own an SBR in IL I'd need a C&R license (03 FFL).

This absolutely led to the ATF originally thinking that IL only allowed C&R rifles to be SBR'd until IL legislators were forced to clarify.

Might as well start the process, though, because my dumb rear end wants an SBR'd ARX-100.

Wait what?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm assuming the "wait what" is about being able to own an SBR in IL so here's the short explanation:

IL outlawed ownership of NFA items years ago, but Public Act 097-0936, specifically this section:

Public Act 097-0936 posted:

(c) Subsection 24-1(a)(7) does not apply to or affect any of the following:.......
(7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches.

allows a C&R holder to own SBRs (and only SBRs, any other NFA item is still illegal to own in IL) as long as the whole rifle is over 26" long. The process takes a little longer than usual and there are also other considerations as well.

For instance: you have to file as an individual, not a trust, as it's impossible for a trust to be issued a FOID, so there's no e-file in IL. So it's passport photos and fingerprints with a paper application, and CLEO notification (CLEO cert was removed and replaced with notification in July of 2016).

There's transport and storage restrictions for IL (I don't know the restrictions for anywhere else, as I live in IL and haven't owned NFA items before), namely it must be transported unloaded, cased, and inaccessible, and you've got to keep a copy of your 03 FFL and your stamp with the gun.

The unrestricted travel is a bonus of the 03 FFL, as any 03 FFL holder isn't obligated by the '68 GCA to fill out a Form 20 prior to interstate travel.

The big stumbling block would be areas with AWBs, and the weirdness surrounding local preemption of bans like Cook County's. For instance, it'd be letter-of-the-law legal to own one in Hoffman Estates even though Cook County has an AWB, because Hoffman Estates has preempted the county ban and voided it within Hoffman Estates. Whether the ATF would approve is a weird one, so it'd require a letter of explanation with the application (and probably prayers/blood of the firstborn son).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What's the lowdown on Cook County's AWB, etc. ? What can you actually own in the city of Chicago proper?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A nerf N-strike.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the lowdown on Cook County's AWB, etc. ? What can you actually own in the city of Chicago proper?

This is a bit outside my expertise, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but Chicago's got it's own AWB, so it would preempt the Cook County AWB.

Chicago's:

Chicago Municipal Code Section 8-20-010 posted:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a bayonet mount
(iv) a flash suppressor or a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(v) a grenade, flare or rocket launcher; or
(vi) a barrel shroud.

Cook County:

"" posted:

Sec. 54-211. - Definitions.
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this division, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Assault weapon means:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(E) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

(2) A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition; (3) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(A) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(B) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(C) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(D) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or
(E) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(E) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(F) A grenade, flare or rocket launcher.

(5) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(6) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows:
(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, Rock River Arms LAR-47, Vector Arms AK-47, VEPR, WASR-10, WUM, MAADI, Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S;
(ii) AR-10;
(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster ACR, Bushmaster MOE series, Armalite M15, Armalite M15-T and Olympic Arms PCR;
(iv) AR70;
(v) Calico Liberty;
(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, HK-USC and HK-PSG-1;
(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle, Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU-16, and RFB;
(xi) Saiga;
(xii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
(xiii) KS with detachable magazine;
(xiv) SLG 95;
(xv) SLR 95 or 96;
(xvi) Steyr AUG;
(xvii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14, and Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556;
(xviii) Tavor;
(xix) All Thompson rifles, including Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, Thompson M1SB, Thompson T1100D, Thompson T150D, Thompson T1B, Thompson T1B100D, Thompson T1B50D, Thompson T1BSB, Thompson T1-C, Thompson T1D, Thompson T1SB, Thompson T5, Thompson T5100D, Thompson TM1, Thompson TM1C and Thompson 1927 Commando;
(xx) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz)
(xxi) Barret REC7, Barrett M82A1, Barrett M107A1;
(xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles;
(xxiii) Double Star AR Rifles;
(xxiv) DPMS Tactical Rifles;
(xxv) Heckler & Koch MR556;
(xxvi) Remington R-15 Rifles;
(xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15;
(xxviii) Sig Sauer SIG516 Rifles, SIG AMT, SIG PE 57, Sig Saucer SG 550, and Sig Saucer SG 551;
(xxix) Smith & Wesson M&P15;
(xxx) Stag Arms AR;
(xxxi) Baretta CX4 Storm;
(xxxii) CETME Sporter;
(xxxiii) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C;
(xxxiv) Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000;
(xxxv) Feather Industries AT-9;
(xxxvi) Galil Model AR and Model ARM;
(xxxvii) Springfield Armory SAR-48;
(xxxviii) Steyr AUG;
(xxxix) UMAREX UZI Rifle;
(xl) UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine;
(xli) Valmet M62S. M71S, and M78;
(xlii) Vector Arms UZI Type;
(xliii) Weaver Arms Nighthawk; and
(xliv) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine

(B) The following handguns, pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) All AK-47 types, including Centurion 39 AK handgun, Draco AK-47 handgun, HCR AK-47 handgun, 10 Inc. Hellpup, AK-47 handgun, Krinkov handgun, Mini Draco AK-47 handgun, and Yugo Krebs Krink handgun.
(ii) All AR-15 types, including American Spirit AR-15 handgun, Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgun, DoubleStar Corporation AR handgun, DPMS AR-15 handgun, Olympic Arms AR-15 handgun and Rock River Arms LAR 15 handgun;
(iii) Calico Liberty handguns;
(iv) DSA SA58 PKP FAL handgun;
(v) Encom MP-9 and MP-45;
(vi) Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun;
(vii) Intratec AB-10, TEC-22 Scorpion, TEC-9 and TEC-DC9;
(viii) Kel-Tec PLR 16 handgun;
(ix) MAC-IO, MAC-11, Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol, MPA Tactical Pistol, MPA 3 and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol;
(x) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11 and Velocity Arms VMAC;
(xi) Sig Sauer P556 handgun;
(xii) Sites Spectre;
(xiii) All Thompson types, including the Thompson TA510D and Thompson TA5;
(xiv) Olympic Arms OA;
(xv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; and
(xvi) All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) Armscor 30 BG;
(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
(iii) Striker 12;
(iv) Streetsweeper;
(v) All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the IZHMASH Saiga 12, IZHMASH Saiga 12S, IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP-01, IZHMASH Saiga 12K, IZHMASH Saiga 12K-030, and IZHMASH Saiga 12K-040 Taktika.

(D) All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNWM2HB.
"Assault weapon" does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the definition of "antique firearm," stated in this section, or weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events.

Note that Cook County banned the Steyr AUG by name twice.

However, Chicago's preempts Cook County's, so as long as it meets Chicago's definitions it should be okay. I don't live in the city or county, so I don't have heavy experience with the AWBs there. The one guy I know in the city stores his poo poo outside the county to avoid everything anyway.

I've heard of guys getting away with Mini-14s within the city though, (at least the Ranch Rifle), but that's obviously hearsay.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Professor Bling posted:

Someone took the attack on Nakatomi tower seriously, maybe?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Professor Bling posted:

This is a bit outside my expertise, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but Chicago's got it's own AWB, so it would preempt the Cook County AWB.

Chicago's:

Cook County:

However, Chicago's preempts Cook County's, so as long as it meets Chicago's definitions it should be okay. I don't live in the city or county, so I don't have heavy experience with the AWBs there. The one guy I know in the city stores his poo poo outside the county to avoid everything anyway.

I've heard of guys getting away with Mini-14s within the city though, (at least the Ranch Rifle), but that's obviously hearsay.

It's mostly out of curiosity at this point given the well better than zero chance that I wind up moving south to Chicago in the future. I guess the best option for Chicago is to keep one legal handgun (S&W Shield or something I suppose) in your dwelling and then rent a storage locker in Lake County/store a gun safe with relatives in SE WI.

I guess I should be happy that WI has statewide preemption of firearms laws, no problem at all owning an AR15 or any NFA item in Milwaukee.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 30, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That whole "able to accept a large capacity magazine" sure does seem problematic, considering how a Fightlite SCR has no evil features otherwise but can accept any kind of AR mag.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell, any AWB has some hosed up and generally vague language; that poo poo's by design to keep modern weapons out of the hands of civilians.

DoktorLoken posted:

I guess I should be happy that WI has statewide preemption of firearms laws, no problem at all owning an AR15 or any NFA item in Milwaukee.

I consider myself lucky that this AWB fuckery is pretty much restricted to Cook County right now; of course, there's no guarantee it'll stay that way, so I'm planning on moving in the next few years. Figure while I'm stuck here I can at least get my poo poo sorted and start on what I can while I can, though. No telling if/when the state'll decide to outlaw SBRs again.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Professor Bling posted:

Hell, any AWB has some hosed up and generally vague language; that poo poo's by design to keep modern weapons out of the hands of civilians.

I consider myself lucky that this AWB fuckery is pretty much restricted to Cook County right now; of course, there's no guarantee it'll stay that way, so I'm planning on moving in the next few years. Figure while I'm stuck here I can at least get my poo poo sorted and start on what I can while I can, though. No telling if/when the state'll decide to outlaw SBRs again.

I really don't see Chicago/Illinois gun laws as being that big of a problem when it's an hour or less to WI or Indiana (both of which have very unrestrictive gun laws), unless you absolutely have to keep your entire gun collection in your house. For me city life > gun collecting.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A lot of people would rather not and/or can’t afford to drive an hour+ just to get to their guns

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The nearest range to me is 45 minutes away, so I can completely understand leaving your guns at a range where its legal rather than having them at home in the city where it would be illegal.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

A lot of people would rather not and/or can’t afford to drive an hour+ just to get to their guns

It's a 45 minute+ drive (and would also be true in Chicago) for me to get to a reasonable outdoor rifle range anyway.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Meanwhile, I'm fifteen minute's drive from a large outdoor range.

It was even easier when I lived in southern IL; living seven miles out of town meant that my back porch was perfectly fine to shoot off of. I had a few steel targets set in the woods behind the house, but that was when I was living somewhere where we used .223 as a varmint round to keep coyotes and feral dogs from coming too close to the goats.

And between "if I wanted I could literally just open the window and shoot out of the house" or "drive two hours to somewhere out of state and also not be able to properly keep predators from my domestic animals" then the choice is pretty clear. It's why, even though I hate the idea of an AWB, I'm happier with just Cook County having one rather than one being instituted state-wide.

Edit: I'll readily admit I felt a hell of a lot safer with an AR if I was sent out to check trail cameras or when we were bridging the creek; there for a couple years we had a mountain lion that'd roam through our property.

And ya never know when the Murphysboro Mud Monster might come back.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2018

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'd rather have my guns at home, where I can use them if needed. And before you say ":byodood: IT WON'T HAPPEN TO YOU!", some junkie tried to smash my rear sliding glass door while someone was home a couple years ago.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How many guns are you going to use in a home invasion scenario.

Because its always put in terms of guns when you're only going to use the one. Whether that one is a home defense shotgun, your normal every day carry, or your $3500 suppressed SBR. Its always the one.

The other dozen can sit in a safe. Unless you're really going for the "gun concealed in every room" apocalypse prep level

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Right, sure, it just really sucks when the gun that is objectively the best choice for home-defense 9 times out of 10 is illegal to keep at your home.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just bought my first gun since 2011: a New England Firearms SB1 single-shot shotgun for $100 before fees.

I needed it for a movie and it was only like $25-30 more expensive than renting a blank-converted one for a week would have been.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Young Freud posted:

SHOT Show stuff should be an instant win in this thread...

It's a Thompson

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why would you do that to a Thompson? :barf:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:catstare:

An aside: I think I'll just buy the ARX 100 with a 16" barrel and SBR it later; my projected tax return ought to pay for the base rifle and to start the process to get my C&R license. Only problem with doing a Form 1 instead of a Form 4 would be having to do the engraving on the ARX's polymer chassis, but hell, I'll permanently engrave my name on a gun, even if it is in plastic.

I don't trust Botach well enough to do the NFA process through them, and I also don't figure their sale price will last long enough to get everything started.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ehhhh I'd pass on the ARX. There's a thread over on m4carbine.net about a guy whose ARX shoots like poo poo accuracy wise, and Beretta wouldn't do anything to remedy it. I'll find the link for you when I get home.

E: actually here it is http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179068-Current-Opinions-on-the-Beretta-ARX-100/page10

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 31, 2018

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't mean to dismiss him out of hand, but that seems isolated in relation to what I'm seeing/hearing about it in general. Those things being "it's cool-ish, it isn't an AR, and Beretta dropped the ball on marketing it properly" with a lot of "it looks like a fish." The polymer chassis construction kind of lends itself to reduced accuracy after the rifle heats up anyway (didn't the G36 have the same issues?), but I'll admit that 6 MOA is trash; I'm still willing to roll the dice on it. Most of what I'm seeing calls it a 2-3 MOA rifle and I'm fine with that. It's gonna be a short range plinker and general "weird gun" unless I end up liking it more than the AR I already own. Plus, I'm seeing them for less than a grand in some places, and I'll drop $900 on one easy.

This is definitely a purchase I'm coming at from a "it looks cool and I want it, even if it's not the best choice" point of view. If it ends up back at $1200 before my refund comes in I'll just get the 92A1 I want instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A friend of mine had one and we were shooting it at the civ range at Benning. It was pretty sharp. We didn't do any super accuracy tests but it seemed to be good. But the big sell is that the ergo on them is great and they are both really nice to handle and a ton of fun to shoot. He did apparently have an issue straight out of the box though in that - and I might be remembering this a little fuzzy - the front sight post was out of whack. He called up Beretta and had it fixed quite promptly.

My wife had a shot too and enjoyed it enough she got one in .22