Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

iirc, Windows Update uses TLS integrity but not encryption, which is forbidden by the HTTP/2 spec

so, you know, typical Microsoft quality web development

the spec doesn’t mean you’ll get arrested if you don’t follow it, just that you won’t interoperate. they don’t care about interoperation, so it’s just as fine as if they’d used a totally custom protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what does a hardened 5g network mean anyways? if the user can connect to it it’s not hardened

it means government control over the most used networks in your daily life .

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

cdma activations stop June 30 of this year for Verizon
hspa/umts att activations stop December 31

don't worry fishmech is still the best kind of correct in this case because he's only counting entire nationwide network shutdowns and not individual carriers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol at t-mobile’s 3g coverage

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

lol at t-mobile’s 3g coverage

their lte bands are very good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:toot:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
can't wait to see how the cisco security SME at work sweeps this one under the rug

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shaggar posted:

they can get whatever information they want from the current networks so I don’t see this as different from today. more direct control over the airwaves would probably allow for much more efficient use of available spectrum. (though I’m not saying it would work out that way)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

can't wait to see how the cisco security SME at work sweeps this one under the rug
disabling the webvpn feature seems like a no-brainer to me, but heck what do I know

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

disabling the webvpn feature seems like a no-brainer to me, but heck what do I know

It's a firewall, just open the ports. Why make this overly complicated with a VPN tunnel?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

knowing the ASA platform that'll probably gently caress anyconnect up somehow, which $employer uses for working remotely

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

knowing the ASA platform that'll probably gently caress anyconnect up somehow, which $employer uses for working remotely
it probably will, the only immediate thing i can think of is that we'll have to figure out another way to disseminate the vpn client

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's a firewall, just open the ports. Why make this overly complicated with a VPN tunnel?

once anarcho-communism takes over we won't need firewalls and everyone's ports will be open because we're just one big human family

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i once used cisco asa and vpn and it's a PIECE OF poo poo

the way it routes/nats traffic to/from vpn is janky as gently caress. they should've just created a virtual interface for vpn traffic and called it a day but cisco gotta cisco

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i once used cisco asa and vpn and it's a PIECE OF poo poo

the way it routes/nats traffic to/from vpn is janky as gently caress. they should've just created a virtual interface for vpn traffic and called it a day but cisco gotta cisco

gently caress ASAs

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/asa-8-3-upgrade-what-you-need-to-know/ta-p/3127078

This was the stupidest loving thing I ever did

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Every Cisco product is garbage and you should feel bad for buying them.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/BikeManStream/status/958073629006290944 flash back at it again boys

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

cdma activations stop June 30 of this year for Verizon
hspa/umts att activations stop December 31

I'm finding nothing about this for AT&T. Just announcements that Verizon 2g and 3g services are to end before 2022 and that T-mobile is removing 3g services on certain bands.

AT&T support has all sorts of announcements and info on 2g shutdown and actively encourages shifting to 3g with no indication of shutting that down any time soon.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I guess this may fit here for privacy stuff:

https://twitter.com/torproject/status/958016026431643648

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you can’t do the time, don’t do the browsing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lol I've done that. It was the worst. Anyway, now that I'm a big boy experienced network engineer I get unilateral decision making on vendor selection, and Cisco is never even in the same ball park. I do the vendor bake-offs and I've decided that the only reason someone chooses Cisco is because they are incompetent at their job.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nation state fuckup. (The gently caress up is the authoritarian nation state that doesn't have codified speech protections and narrow treason definitions not the browser cookie).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

never let the government near your communications infrastructure.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Lol I've done that. It was the worst. Anyway, now that I'm a big boy experienced network engineer I get unilateral decision making on vendor selection, and Cisco is never even in the same ball park. I do the vendor bake-offs and I've decided that the only reason someone chooses Cisco is because they are incompetent at their job.
who has the good networking equipment, we use asas as firewalls and vpn endpoints but we also have some brocades except now i guess they're owned by extreme

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nation state fuckup. (The gently caress up is the authoritarian nation state that doesn't have codified speech protections and narrow treason definitions not the browser cookie).

nice pull back, you almost insulted mechanical turkishness there

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I will never put anything other than Arista switches in my datacenters again. 7280SR: 100gbps QSFPs and full internet BGP for $25k.

Perimeter firewalls are bad and obsolete. Calico network policies at the kubernetes pod level or get the gently caress out.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

you love to see it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oh no, this authoritarian regime purging tens of thousands of people based on shoddy-to-nonexistent evidence might have made a tech mistake!!!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

the authoritarian nation state that doesn't have codified speech protections and narrow treason definitions

sounds like a feature, not a bug, unless i'm missing something?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

who has the good networking equipment, we use asas as firewalls and vpn endpoints but we also have some brocades except now i guess they're owned by extreme

We use Arista for switching and Juniper for routing/firewalls which I've been very consistently happy with, but we are web serving and a pretty small shop manpower-wise (3 engineers.) If you are worried about Enterprise security/proxy/utm then Palo Alto is highly recommended. If you are a little bit bigger then us but still web-serving, then you are wasting >300k/yr not just using an openflow whitebox/brightbox custom solution.

For our employee VPN solution we are looking at Pulse Secure with Otka, but we are currently using OpenVPN which works, but doesn't have easy role-based user access.

For the enterprise/office space, I'm really not sure who the best vendor is. I'm not a fan of Juniper Switching because of the bad cli model for Move/Adds/Changes, it makes day-to-day office operations harder then it needs to be. Arista isn't in the office space and Cisco is significantly more expensive. Maybe HP? Not really sure. In my current environment we use Juniper for wiring closets (price was right, plus familiarity) Fortunately I don't have to deal with the typical IT stuff, but talking with the IT Staff it's a pita compared to the Cisco model.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Methanar posted:

I will never put anything other than Arista switches in my datacenters again. 7280SR: 100gbps QSFPs and full internet BGP for $25k.

Perimeter firewalls are bad and obsolete. Calico network policies at the kubernetes pod level or get the gently caress out.

:same:

though I wouldn't necessarily call perimeter firewalls "obsolete," depending on what you are doing. But yea, our current production model doesn't use a perimeter firewall, though our self-hosted customer portal does have the traditional Firewall/DMZ setup.

I will say that I am a little iffy about Arista doing BGP Internet Routing. In a 'pod' situation like our hadoop cluster, sure, but internet policies etc, I'm not sold on yet.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 30, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

:same:

though I wouldn't necessarily call perimeter firewalls "obsolete," depending on what you are doing. But yea, our current production model doesn't use a perimeter firewall, though our self-hosted customer portal does have the traditional Firewall/DMZ setup.

I will say that I am a little iffy about Arista doing BGP Internet Routing. In a 'pod' situation like our hadoop cluster, sure, but internet policies etc, I'm not sold on yet.

I've got 50gbps of WAN bandwidth out 4 providers and soon at least another 10g direct DC interconnect to GCE running through a pair of 7280SRs and it's never once flinched on me in 2 years. I've got a handful of static ACLs on my BGP edge that drops SSH, weird poo poo like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_Generator_Protocol#Abuse and whitelisted upstream sources for DNS, NTP.

I don't do anything fancy with openflow or directflow because I don't need to. I strongly considered doing MLAG on my two edge switches when I was building everything, but I ultimately decided against it because of the complexity and just do everything through BGP now. It's good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar posted:

never let a foreign government near your infrastructure.

https://twitter.com/adrianzenz/status/957879611513278464

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Good to see that China is modernizing African exploitation for the 21st century.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

Build it themselves so that they have automatic access to monitoring every user to bypass the problems agencies have had with Stingray surveillance.

By definition it means a weak security system with built in backdoors that obviously no bad actor will have access to (TM), increased cost for hardware and software as an added bonus as it only rolls out in the US and will be deliberately incompatible with foreign networks.

Your typical win-win situation :lol:

Maybe the Trump administration can force implementations to be built only on US soil too :patriot:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 30, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Cisco still makes the best edge switches unless you don't use any features

In the dc space dell switches running cumulus are the way to go if you don't mind the management

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/WiredUK/status/958084308924760065

woops

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My question is who is more fault here, Strava for releasing the map, or Military institutions for not banning these devices

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My question is who is more fault here, Strava for releasing the map, or Military institutions for not banning these devices

I'd say it was absolutely the military. Yeah, releasing this sort of data is arguably irresponsible, but malicious actors don't need to wait for something like this to be released publicly if there's no policy against carrying these devices.

Frankly it's probably better that this data is in the public domain now rather than Russian intelligence hacking Strava and having live tracking data on US military personnel (for example) and nobody realising it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can’t wait until we find out the moon landing was fake because sombody played Pokemon Go in a classified location or some poo poo.

The future rules.

• Locked thread