Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DLC Inc posted:

David Wise working with Retro, all signs point to Kong

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-david-wise-working-on-something-at-retro-studios/

I'd eat up another DKC game from Retro; it'd probably be received better than Tropical Freeze now that Prime 4 is in the tank.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

a.lo posted:

No more Donkey Kong games

This man is a fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lemming posted:

It feels like there should be a better word for that, it's like saying both shoplifting and being a serial killer are both criminal activities

I'm pretty sure criminal activity cover kidnapping people and forcing them to fight in bikinis too

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

a.lo posted:

is bayonetta 2 out yet so i can show it to my girlfriend

Few more weeks, it feels like everything I've been playing is a placeholder.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

King Carule's back

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there’s nothing inherently wrong with making a game (or any media, really) with a main cast that is completely male or female. It’s the characterization of the characters that’s the issue.

You can even have strong female characters and still have some eye candy—looking at the Fast & Furious movies with a feminist eye is pretty interesting. For all his foot fetish shots, Tarantino’s films are actually more feminist than most.

Really it comes down to having strong female characters that are more than objects of desire or a goal to achieve, which unfortunately most video games fail at. Even the Metroid series, where the reward for playing well is seeing the silent, personality-less protagonist in a skintight bodysuit.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 29, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

a.lo posted:

No, more Donkey Kong games!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

a.lo posted:

is bayonetta 2 out yet so i can show it to my girlfriend

I've been with my wife for nearly six years, with one of those being married. The only time she has judged me in that time was when I played Bayonetta. I haven't told her Bayo 3 is in the works. Maybe Bayo-shame is what made Nintendo design the Switch?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

The Alliance has no idea how many lives will be lost to the Undercity elevators.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pug Rodeo posted:

The Alliance has no idea how many lives will be lost to the Undercity elevators.

Wrong thread buddy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

a.lo posted:

No, more!

Donkey Kong games!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

something doesnt become not dumb just because you're being 'ironic' about it

But enough about your posting

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been with my wife for nearly six years, with one of those being married. The only time she has judged me in that time was when I played Bayonetta. I haven't told her Bayo 3 is in the works. Maybe Bayo-shame is what made Nintendo design the Switch?

Bayo tests every relationship, but it's a good test, because there's only one right answer, and it lies inside her Fantasy Zone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

^burtle posted:

Few more weeks, it feels like everything I've been playing is a placeholder.

Same. My life before has been defined as Pre-Bayo and Post-Bayo, and I never played 2. Now that three are coming to the Switch I am just biding my time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give me Donkey Kong Odyssey, where after being cast into exile from New Donk City, DK travels the globe looking for a way to seek vengeance on the pitiful Donkans who cast him down

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Freakbox posted:

I'm seriously tearing up. He's had a terrible year and this will make him so happy. :unsmith: Thread Victory!
Be aware that super scopes require a CRT.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC they need a curved screen CRT as well, Trinitrons don't work

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can confirm that the zapper worked just fine on my regular sony trinitron throughout my childhood. What it didn't work on was a widescreen CRT that was branded "trinitron" but was a late model. A google search shows that the last gasps of the "HD" or widescreen CRTs had a different refresh rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Animegamepurchaser.txt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Animegamepurchaser.txt
super mario is anime, op

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what the heck is pogchamp

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the level before porgultimate

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a.lo posted:

what the heck is pogchamp

What a Pogchoke evolves into

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lelandjs posted:

What a Pogchoke evolves into

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a boxed one with all the accessories it came with if you want it.

drat let's talk for real

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Freakbox has dibs on it now if he wants firsto over PMs

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Lemming posted:

It feels like there should be a better word for that, it's like saying both shoplifting and being a serial killer are both criminal activities

I think the common word now used is "problematic", to show that something might be wrong and, even if unintentional or slight, should probably be re-examined in some way

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Wendell posted:

Nope, the [Xenoblade 2] story remains worthless and utterly unengaging throughout. Like, whenever a cutscene started I was instinctively reaching for my phone because the game had taught me that paying attention would be a waste of time.

Yeah, I suspected as much. I keep falling asleep during cutscenes too, so I end up watching them again and hating life even more.
Between that and the puerilely adolescent jocko sapiens-envisioned female characters, I don't think I've developed this much enmity to an entire cast of JRPG characters--even the megadumb FF8 had some redeeming characters. (I did laugh at the papal Megamind, but I'm not sure if I was supposed to.)

Wendell posted:

The gameplay is very fun!

And that's XB2's saving grace. The UI could be a lot better, but the overall battle mechanics are a ton of fun.

Come to think of it, I've never played an FE or a Super Robot Wars for the story, so that's what's keeping me going.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Come to think of it, I've never played an FE or a Super Robot Wars for the story, so that's what's keeping me going.

SRW is, at the very least, carried by the fun crossover potential of all your favorite mecha characters interacting in funny and amusing ways along with the writers re-doing bad anime stories in better ways. So even if the base story is stupid as gently caress (Z3) you at least get the fun of having Shinji Ikari call Kira Yamato a little bitch and tell him to man up or two stoic mute characters having a conversation through ellipsis.

Unless you're playing OG games then yeah uh you got me dead to rights there

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Celeste question: I beat the first level and got all the strawberries, but what is the empty square icon on the world map in the level? Is it another collectable? Something to do with the Theo dude or the birds/satellite? Also I see other flags in the notebook for the level, are those different exits or something?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Policenaut posted:

SRW is, at the very least, carried by the fun crossover potential of all your favorite mecha characters interacting in funny and amusing ways along with the writers re-doing bad anime stories in better ways. So even if the base story is stupid as gently caress (Z3) you at least get the fun of having Shinji Ikari call Kira Yamato a little bitch and tell him to man up or two stoic mute characters having a conversation through ellipsis.

https://youtu.be/D9s4hao0lrw?t=19

my favorite

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Please remember when having discussions about Microsoft buying up companies like EA that this meeting never actually happened:

quote:

Apparently Microsoft was making a bid to buy Nintendo for absolutely huge amounts of money. Vole was confident that Nintendo would take it. The Game Cube wasn't doing particularly well at the time and there was a lot of money involved. Ballmer himself showed up at the negotiations to have a quiet word.

However Yamaushi didn't like the deal, which he saw as a loss on a level similar to World War Two. He said he ranted a bit about Japanese values and identity but it went no-where. So in the end he said in Japanese "suck my yellow balls Mr Ballmer".

The translator looked embarrassed and was clearly not translating the phrase exactly, although Ballmer did smile at a sentence that included the word 'yellow' in it.

Frustrated Yamaushi stood on a chair, put his hands around his mouth and very slowly and in English said: "Hey Ballmer why don't you suck my tiny yellow balls."

But it could have happened.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Oops, yeah, you're absolutely right--I do laugh at the banter between SRW characters.
The old ones used to reference voice actor gags, like having Daitan 3's pilot mimic Gundam's White Base captain much to everyone's amusement.

I just meant to say that I don't pay attention to their overall stories; I didn't mean to imply their writing was bad.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Please remember when having discussions about Microsoft buying up companies like EA that this meeting never actually happened:

Corporate executive fanfiction is my favorite fanfiction

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ventana posted:

Celeste question: I beat the first level and got all the strawberries, but what is the empty square icon on the world map in the level? Is it another collectable? Something to do with the Theo dude or the birds/satellite? Also I see other flags in the notebook for the level, are those different exits or something?

Empty square is indeed another collectible, nothing to do with Theo or the birds/satellite though. I think in World 1 it's bugged and actually in the section previous to where it's listed in the level. There aren't different exits, not sure what you mean by flags?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

jocko sapiens-envisioned female characters
what

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well it's a little suspect when they can't even be bothered to get the guy's name right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Yamauchi

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CORSET-WAISTED CHELSEA CHARMS MOTHERFUCKERS

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

You know how all the developers on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were jocks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Xenoblade 2 just made me want a port of X with some quality of life things like the ability to create gear sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something like half of all JRPG character artists were on track to play football professionally, but then got injured and had to go to their fallback career.

• Locked thread