Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Don't insult people with mental disabilities by comparing them to Hannity.

This exactly.

Avirosb posted:

Why? It only means slow. Heck, I'm retarded.

EDIT: Wouldn't use it as a word replacement for mental illness mind you.

People with intellectual disabilities can get really upset when they see that word used, and they've got enough to deal with already. Plus, yeah, it's not fair to compare innocents to Hannity.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

:irony:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

How awful. Thanks heavens the USA would never do such a thing!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Strong argument for a welfare state from Fox there. Bravo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

remusclaw posted:

Iran First - Fox News, 2018

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

remusclaw posted:

I love how most of the comments are variations of that,
and then you have the occasional "Gee, thanks a lot, Obama."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

Can we please stop using this expression?

Sure, no worries.
Old habits etc.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jurgan posted:

Can we please stop using this expression?
Yeah, I've been using it too much, in fact I was surprised at the r-word in this podcast:
racism

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kubrick posted:

Jesus, this is the farthest thing from the truth possible. The entire core of his message is that the world is insanely complex, there will never be a simple solution to anything meaningful, and that blaming the world or other people for your problems is exactly the wrong mindset to have.

I read your posts and threads, Prester. I think they are well articulated, and I have grown to trust your insights. But this post made me question how much of the time you are just talking out your rear end.

You seem to be on probation for stumping for Peterson in the Trump thread, but when you get back I would very much appreciate if you could answer two questions:

1.) What solutions to problems does Jordan Peterson offer other than "remove postmodernism from society"?

2.) According to Peterson, what would the world look like absent postmodernism?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 29, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kubrick seems to a perfect case that bolsters my theory that nobody who starts with the claim that they're "not a defender of X", tend to be -shockingly enough- some of the most strident defenders of X.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Kubrick posted:

Jesus, this is the farthest thing from the truth possible. The entire core of his message is that the world is insanely complex, there will never be a simple solution to anything meaningful, and that blaming the world or other people for your problems is exactly the wrong mindset to have.

I have yet to see a good argument for why we should see Peterson as a threat. I've talked to a lot of these alt-right guys. They're not irredeemably evil. They're depressed, angry, isolated, hurting, and wrong, but they still have something to offer the world. They don't deserve scorn, they deserve help, and Peterson is stepping in to help them.

Our first impulse as a community of left-leaning intellectuals has been to discard the shitlords, to shout them down and mock them for how wrong they are. That's a fun way for us to assert our superiority, but it's not a sustainable solution. The alt-right are a bunch of depressed rage-a-holics convinced there's a conspiracy to hold them down. Peterson acknowledges the validity of their pain but offers another path.

Prester Jane, I think I hear what you're saying. A glance at Peterson or even a cursory YouTube search certainly paints an unsavory portrait. I didn't need to see many videos with titles like "'There's Only TWO Genders!' Transgender Snowflake BTFO by Dark Professor" before I was ready to write Peterson off as the thinking turd's Paul Joseph Watson. But I have a tough time squaring the divisive crypto-white supremacist dogwhistler of the online left's imagination with the man whose lectures I've spent hours watching, who I've seen tear up when speaking about the horrors of the gulags and the Holocaust and the clear and present danger of repeating those tragedies.

I don't think everybody needs to do what Peterson does. These alt-right guys can be vicious and despicable, particularly toward marginalized and vulnerable people, and talking to them can be legit dangerous for your mental health. But I do think we should leave Peterson alone and let him do his work. He's a psychologist treating these guys as though they're in crisis and need help. He sees them drowning in a sea of nihilistic chaos and instead of revving the engine and leaving them for dead he's throwing them the life preserver of a traditional religious moral system. It's important work, and railing against Peterson-shaped strawmen is counterproductive and senseless.

Want to see his methods in action? Check out the YouTube channel "Sorting Myself Out." I found it illuminating. It changed my whole outlook on this current youth culture war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

peterson is a misogynist, doesn't have a problem with white supremacy, and is a global warming denier.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
cashing out those dank meme shirt dollars because i care so much about the youth's problems

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Schmischmenjamin posted:

I have yet to see a good argument for why we should see Peterson as a threat. I've talked to a lot of these alt-right guys. They're not irredeemably evil. They're depressed, angry, isolated, hurting, and wrong, but they still have something to offer the world. They don't deserve scorn, they deserve help, and Peterson is stepping in to help them.

Our first impulse as a community of left-leaning intellectuals has been to discard the shitlords, to shout them down and mock them for how wrong they are. That's a fun way for us to assert our superiority, but it's not a sustainable solution. The alt-right are a bunch of depressed rage-a-holics convinced there's a conspiracy to hold them down. Peterson acknowledges the validity of their pain but offers another path.

Prester Jane, I think I hear what you're saying. A glance at Peterson or even a cursory YouTube search certainly paints an unsavory portrait. I didn't need to see many videos with titles like "'There's Only TWO Genders!' Transgender Snowflake BTFO by Dark Professor" before I was ready to write Peterson off as the thinking turd's Paul Joseph Watson. But I have a tough time squaring the divisive crypto-white supremacist dogwhistler of the online left's imagination with the man whose lectures I've spent hours watching, who I've seen tear up when speaking about the horrors of the gulags and the Holocaust and the clear and present danger of repeating those tragedies.

I don't think everybody needs to do what Peterson does. These alt-right guys can be vicious and despicable, particularly toward marginalized and vulnerable people, and talking to them can be legit dangerous for your mental health. But I do think we should leave Peterson alone and let him do his work. He's a psychologist treating these guys as though they're in crisis and need help. He sees them drowning in a sea of nihilistic chaos and instead of revving the engine and leaving them for dead he's throwing them the life preserver of a traditional religious moral system. It's important work, and railing against Peterson-shaped strawmen is counterproductive and senseless.

Want to see his methods in action? Check out the YouTube channel "Sorting Myself Out." I found it illuminating. It changed my whole outlook on this current youth culture war.

Sir, I just asked if you want honey mustard

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr Interweb posted:

Kubrick seems to a perfect case that bolsters my theory that nobody who starts with the claim that they're "not a defender of X", tend to be -shockingly enough- some of the most strident defenders of X.

Yeah, but y?

And yeah, Hannity's not retarded or stupid. He knows where his bread is buttered. They all do. They're essentially used car salesmen and infomercial or televangalist hucksters writ large on a national stage. They're shameless not dumb.

Someone was talking about how Sean's voice is as annoying as his smug loving face and they're right. I think I put my finger on it today after listening to 3 or 4 more minutes of him ragging on the FBI, the Super Secret bombshell memo, and his very VERY newfound concern for warrantless spying on U.S. citizens and issues with FISA.

Sean Hannity sounds exactly like when a black comedian imitates a white accent.

God, he is just the absolute worst. When his Super Double Secret Probation Memo turns out to be nothing, the true believers will will only view it as suppression of real news, bias further evidence of the Deep State. At least Limbaugh has a modicum of talent when it comes to broadcasting. He's a big giant rear end in a top hat too and probably singularly to blame for where we are now information wise but the dude has some undeniable skills for the medium at least.

Hannity is just a Conserv-O-Bot 3000 that can cash checks.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

aware of dog posted:

Sir, I just asked if you want honey mustard

Of course I want honey mustard. Honey mustard supports the primacy of the Logos and is at the top of all possible condiments hierarchies.

Schmischmenjamin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 30, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get the whole "they know what they're doing" argument but like Hannity is famously an uneducated, ill informed nobody who Roger Ailes picked out of relative obscurity to be Fox New's representation of the average viewer. He's not some guy like Rush or O'Reilly who spent decades working their way through the business. He's not some guy like Beck or Kelly who change their politics depending on what they thing will work for them. You can assume Hannity would have learned something and gotten smarter and more clued in over the last couple of decades, but I don't know that there's really any evidence of that.

I see no reason at all to assume Hannity is anything but the stupid, kool aid drinking RWM consumer that he was hired as.

I think this is a problem a lot of people have. We assume malice and deviousness in all cases. I know a poo poo load of conservatives who are legitimately stupid and uninformed. I know a lot of liberals who will say "no, they know what they're saying." But they don't. They legitimately don't know they're wrong. Like we saw that in that Vice Trump Panel the other week. The lady who thought she was completely informed and the smartest person in the room who randomly declared that "That Syria thing is over and we won it." She genuinely didn't know how stupid that was.

That's Hannity, IMO. I've never once seen evidence otherwise.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

In this video Jordan Peterson literally blames the birth control pill for the rise of a radicalized femininity that is destroying society and driving postmodernism. He blames the pill for everything from women getting the franchise to Stacy's only sleeping with Chad's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvdZIUkENtY

Jordan Peterson is manipulating a group of people for his own personal gain, and he is doing so by speaking to the most vile impulses in humanity with academia-flavored Outer Narratives. I will again re-iterate that he is the Joel Osteen of the academic world- a smiling, sweet speaking jackal who targets the emotionally isolated with tears of sympathy.

If you disagree then I request that you answer my ywo questio0ns from my previous post:

Prester Jane posted:

1.) What solutions to problems does Jordan Peterson offer other than "remove postmodernism from society"?

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

1.) Peterson's solution is to de-emphasize identity politics and focus on strengthening individuals. He's only concerned with postmodernism insofar as it has contributed to identity politics and to the collapse of traditional values, phenomena that have contributed evenly to so-called "social justice warriors" roaming college campuses and to Richard Spencer's repellent "identity politics for white people." Peterson wants young people to get their heads out of their asses and set their own lives straight before they go around claiming to know how to fix all the world's problems. He seems to think young white men are most in need of this message, which is why he targets all of his videos toward them and goes out of his way to appear wherever they are watching. Do you find any of this concerning? Do you disagree with my characterization?

2.) To Peterson, postmodernism represents the moment popular philosophy abandoned the idea of truth, which he also associates with the death of God. So if we turned away from postmodernism, the next step would be working together to establish a set of shared values we could look to when trying to solve complex problems. Peterson implies strongly that Christianity would be a good place to start. So I suppose a world without postmodernism would be much more Christian. What is your experience with postmodernism? Do you see it as a positive contribution to culture, or are you just a relative of Derrida?

We should also acknowledge that the bulk of Peterson's output is uploaded to YouTube for free, defanging the notion that he's a huckster bilking white boys for all they're worth. People pay him because what he does resonates strongly with them and helps them lead meaningful lives. He is a sort of preacher, but your comparison to Joel Osteen isn't nearly as self-evident or worth repeating as you seem to think it is.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
"Traditional values", a.k.a. white supremacy and patriarchy, are garbage and belong in the dustbin of history. Secular Humanism has been around for quite a while, but for some reason none of these people up in arms about post-modernism point to it as a model as far as I've seen.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Peterson does not understand post-modernism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Complaining about postmodernism's existence is like trying to unstir the milk out of your coffee -- it's pointless and it doesn't work like that. Postmodernism is a fact, regardless of whether one keeps believing in it or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Schmischmenjamin posted:

1.) Peterson's solution is to de-emphasize identity politics and focus on strengthening individuals. He's only concerned with postmodernism insofar as it has contributed to identity politics and to the collapse of traditional values, phenomena that have contributed evenly to so-called "social justice warriors" roaming college campuses and to Richard Spencer's repellent "identity politics for white people." Peterson wants young people to get their heads out of their asses and set their own lives straight before they go around claiming to know how to fix all the world's problems. He seems to think young white men are most in need of this message, which is why he targets all of his videos toward them and goes out of his way to appear wherever they are watching. Do you find any of this concerning? Do you disagree with my characterization?

2.) To Peterson, postmodernism represents the moment popular philosophy abandoned the idea of truth, which he also associates with the death of God. So if we turned away from postmodernism, the next step would be working together to establish a set of shared values we could look to when trying to solve complex problems. Peterson implies strongly that Christianity would be a good place to start. So I suppose a world without postmodernism would be much more Christian. What is your experience with postmodernism? Do you see it as a positive contribution to culture, or are you just a relative of Derrida?

We should also acknowledge that the bulk of Peterson's output is uploaded to YouTube for free, defanging the notion that he's a huckster bilking white boys for all they're worth. People pay him because what he does resonates strongly with them and helps them lead meaningful lives. He is a sort of preacher, but your comparison to Joel Osteen isn't nearly as self-evident or worth repeating as you seem to think it is.

he's a nazi, fam

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So if I understand you correctly here Schmischmenjamin; Jordan Peterson's solution to problems is for young people to "pull their heads out of their asses and get their lives strait", and the world without postmodernism would be a Christian patriarchy dominated by white people. Am I misrepresenting or misinterpreting your answer in some way? Because I feel like I have the gist of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schmischmenjamin posted:

1.) Peterson's solution is to de-emphasize identity politics and focus on strengthening individuals.
Cool, we're done here, because this is a dogwhistle statement used only by racists. Nobody who isn't a racist wants to kill off "identity politics" because the phrase only means things you don't like.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What are “traditional values”? Be specific.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Uploading stuff to YouTube doesn't mean you're not greedy. That's just more money.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
“Identity politics. Both sides are the same. :qq: “ - a person who definitely isn’t stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Schmischmenjamin posted:

I don't know much of anything about Peterson but that sounds a lot to my unfamiliar "ears" like conservative ideology. I mean, not 1:1, but some very common themes and ideas.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, i was watching some videos from a guy who played star fleet battles and then i went through and saw some jordan peterson lectures uploaded, then i went back and saw one where he got extremely triggered by youtube doing a survey in which they asked him if the service helped him make social change and he went on a big rant about how trying to make social change is cancerous and by golly a video uploader should just be a video uploader.

I'm pretty sure that squares with Jordan Peterson's right-wing politics.

Also if you want to read some bizarre poo poo with a-historical hot takes, his new book is pretty good for that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know much of anything about Peterson but that sounds a lot to my unfamiliar "ears" like conservative ideology. I mean, not 1:1, but some very common themes and ideas.

There's a big market for repackaging conservative ideology without the explicit bigotry and religion, because there are a lot of people who really want Authority but don't want to be ostracized for racism and/or have a gay friend or something.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Panzeh posted:

So, i was watching some videos from a guy who played star fleet battles and then i went through and saw some jordan peterson lectures uploaded, then i went back and saw one where he got extremely triggered by youtube doing a survey in which they asked him if the service helped him make social change and he went on a big rant about how trying to make social change is cancerous and by golly a video uploader should just be a video uploader.

I'm pretty sure that squares with Jordan Peterson's right-wing politics.

Also if you want to read some bizarre poo poo with a-historical hot takes, his new book is pretty good for that.

He went on a twitter rant a little while ago about how Google is secretly trying to force political correctness on the public because he thought too many non-white people were showing up in Google Image searches (like, for "European people"). David Duke and Stormfront also had this concern.

There was also that time he retweeted a nazi with the oh so innocuous twitter handle "Evropa14."

e: PZ Myers just posted a video about his dumb lobster poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7W9frEPLg

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean, what Peterson is in the market of is telling straight white dudes that nothing is wrong and they earned everything they’ve got, and if anyone complains they’re just an SJW snowflake.

It’s conservatism repackaged for the only actually entitled millennials.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Peterson the professor that got fired over being a holocaust denier or am I thinking of another shithead alt-right “intellectual”?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What are traditional values op, because I've read about some of the traditions we used to have in this country and in Europe generally and let me tell you some of them were not so great.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How are right-wingers not engaging in "identity politics"?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Interweb posted:

How are right-wingers not engaging in "identity politics"?

Because to them, white racists are the only true identity, and being anything else is fake. White identity is great, anything else is evil.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
We need to establish a set of shared values which, look at that, just happens to be my own religion. See you Sunday.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is there a thread for discussing Jordan Peterson? It almost seems like there should be a subforum devoted to him at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what led to him monopolizing all of D&D the last week. Usually there's some racist tweet or article or youtube video that clearly set it all off but this one just seems to be more generalized.