Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have a hard time believing in the blue apron ads when griffin also seems to have diarrhea all the time

Imagine how bad it would be if he wasn't eating Blue Apron :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Nobody should have to live in fear about what their butt is going to do to them.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
from what i've gleaned from mbmbam, griffin got a wet butt while camping and as a result his butt has been very sick ever since

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
He also got really sick at Bonnaroo, and I think got a UTI at Schlitterbahn, so basically any time he's outside for any extended period of time, he gets very sick in some way.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SpacePig posted:

Schlitterbahn

WOOAH-OH

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SpacePig posted:

He also got really sick at Bonnaroo, and I think got a UTI at Schlitterbahn, so basically any time he's outside for any extended period of time, he gets very sick in some way.
I'm pretty sure Griffin is supposed to be the Bubble Boy but they mixed up the paperwork and ended up putting a kid with a fully healthy body in the bubble instead

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Not Operator posted:

How was this not an 80s children's cartoon?

I mean it's a step removed from "actual on-all-fours dog", and everyone else is also dogs, but well, Sherlock Hound was literally a thing, so I guess someone was thinking sort of along those lines.

JessKay fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Not Operator posted:

How was this not an 80s children's cartoon?

I dunno, but they did make a kid’s movie about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The movie theater being talked about in the first question this week is the Gateway Film Center in Columbus, Ohio.

It's a good theater.

Also this year's marathon was on Saturday, so TOO LATE.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Spoilers: Griffin finds the easter egg in Sea of Thieves

https://clips.twitch.tv/DirtyWanderingDugongPunchTrees

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Very on the nose, but still fun.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Hockles posted:

Spoilers: Griffin finds the easter egg in Sea of Thieves

https://clips.twitch.tv/DirtyWanderingDugongPunchTrees

C'mon, the serendipitous music sync is the best thing about that, don't cut out that part

https://clips.twitch.tv/DignifiedSeductiveSalsifyJonCarnage

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I will say, after listening to 70+ episodes of The Adventure Zone, if we could go more than three episodes without Travis saying "And this is the part where the propellers spin..." I'd be very happy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I will say, after listening to 70+ episodes of The Adventure Zone, if we could go more than three episodes without Travis saying "And this is the part where the propellers spin..." I'd be very happy.

I don't recall him saying anything like that even once...?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

timp posted:

The joke came up in the most recent episode.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

It sounds familiar, but I can't remember if the context was Indiana Jones travelling to another place, or Indiana Jones watching the big punchy nazi get gibbed.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

timp posted:

He's said it quite a lot over the course of the podcast, but not like every episode. Anytime there's been a joke about skipping exposition, he's used it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

He's said it quite a lot over the course of the podcast, but not like every episode. Anytime there's been a joke about skipping exposition, he's used it.

I wasn't thinking about it being used as a "scene transition" sort of joke but yeah, now I'm remembering it being used a few times. Although if Macdeo had said something about a Star Wipe rather than a propeller I would have been on board immediately

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don't mind it because even now that the humor has worn off, it's still a useful shorthand for something that happens fairly often.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

New episode of Amnesty went up, it's good though it looks like they're going to need an episode or two more to finish up after all. I don't think much more than that though, sounds like it's just going to be the big battle. I liked all the character interaction and think they're coming together quite nicely. Sort of wish we'd see more of Ned trying to find an angle to make some money off all this, like trying to strike a deal with Barclay for Bigfoot footage in return for his help or planning to film the fight or something, as is he seems really onboard with everything. I guess Kepler's his home so he's got as much reason as anyone to want to defend it. When Duck was having cold feet and brought up Aubrey's fire magic I was expecting someone to point out Ned was game to fight it with nothing more than his oversized car, oversized handgun, and oversized personality.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 1, 2018

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm halfway through the last Amnesty episode, but I've been relistening to Balance for the last few days and I really miss it. I'm in Crystal Kingdom and every episode is pretty hilarious and has lots of the brothers goofing with each other, but toward the end (and now throughout Amnesty) it seems so serious and doesn't have a lot of goofin' anymore. It's kind of a bummer to me. I'm starting to feel like the short pilot arcs thing was a mistake and they should have just picked something new and let it unfold organically like Balance did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't even gotten around to the last three episodes. Weekly is good but too much!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

redcheval posted:

I'm halfway through the last Amnesty episode, but I've been relistening to Balance for the last few days and I really miss it. I'm in Crystal Kingdom and every episode is pretty hilarious and has lots of the brothers goofing with each other, but toward the end (and now throughout Amnesty) it seems so serious and doesn't have a lot of goofin' anymore. It's kind of a bummer to me. I'm starting to feel like the short pilot arcs thing was a mistake and they should have just picked something new and let it unfold organically like Balance did.

Yeah I know TAZ gets most of its love from its fan base for its storytelling and emotional beats but I think I primarily listen to it for laughs. I hope they don’t forget to be funny (but if they do, mbmbam is still there for me)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think they strike a pretty decent balance between "serious" storytelling and comedy. It's not perfect, and never will be, but Justin is almost always looking for some sort of bit to do in-character. The big problem is that I'm honestly not sure Travis knows how to be funny on purpose in-character, because the one-liner pun is his best weapon in that regard, and there's not much opportunity for it in long roleplay sessions. Clint tries, but it's mostly self-deprecating stuff that doesn't always hit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Clint seducing a plant was one of the funniest moments on the show

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If only they had another podcast full of jokes that you could listen to if you think they're 'forgetting how to be funny'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

flatluigi posted:

If only they had another podcast full of jokes that you could listen to if you think they're 'forgetting how to be funny'

Wow that would be cool I wish I knew what one was, maybe I’ll check the post I wrote to see if I mentioned one, hold tight

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Serf posted:

Clint seducing a plant was one of the funniest moments on the show

Telling Tom to commit suicide via train tops it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I think he was referring to Big Gulp.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I think they strike a pretty decent balance between "serious" storytelling and comedy. It's not perfect, and never will be, but Justin is almost always looking for some sort of bit to do in-character. The big problem is that I'm honestly not sure Travis knows how to be funny on purpose in-character, because the one-liner pun is his best weapon in that regard, and there's not much opportunity for it in long roleplay sessions. Clint tries, but it's mostly self-deprecating stuff that doesn't always hit.

Yeah this is very true (although I will always defend Travis and loved Magnus :3:). I'm hoping it's just because the short arcs mean they have to cram a bunch into a short timeframe. I found myself completely zoning out for the rest of the last Amnesty ep. I think I'd like to hear more from Justin/Travis/Clint and less from Griffin lately.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I am enjoying the mini-arcs but I admit that knowing that they are a short-term experiment helps.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
These short arcs aren't going to be as funny because they are more concerned with acting in character and figuring out the rules rather than being funny. Balance was the same way, the first few episodes weren't nearly as funny as the later ones where they (mostly) had the rules and character personalities figured out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Piell posted:

These short arcs aren't going to be as funny because they are more concerned with acting in character and figuring out the rules rather than being funny. Balance was the same way, the first few episodes weren't nearly as funny as the later ones where they (mostly) had the rules and character personalities figured out.

Didn't the first few episodes of balance have taako convince some goblins not to come and kill them because he was so horny he started jerking off over dead bodies? They weren't as good as the train one but they were still funny.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
The first episodes are all much funnier than most of the later half of balance besides the majora's mask town imo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Klaarg's first appearance was one of the high points of TAZ and each of his subsequent appearances was worse and more pointless, mapping pretty well to the show's overall trajectory.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Piell posted:

I was gonna say I feel like the real high points were Rockport Express to Crystal Kingdom or something like that but on reflection I really love all of it, including the first few eps (which are definitely slower and I think funnier in a different way). I was one who didn't really love the tonal shift of Stolen Century, although I was still super into the backstory stuff.

I do wanna say that I'm still enjoying TAZ, and everything about the premise of Amnesty is totally working for me. Commitment also had a lot of really funny moments, Kardala was amazing. I just really enjoyed the flavor of Balance a lot and the more dramatic/serious tone doesn't hit quite the same notes for me.

Also let me be one of the zillions to say Amnesty's theme song is crazy good.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Justin's FMV Quest is back from the dead with a slight retooling: our blessed new boy Brian is along for the ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUQBvRgTMY

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I really appreciated the Adventure Zone live shows, because they didn't need to worry about the arc they could just go back to making funny jokes, which is what got me into the podcast in the first place.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Look at this Amnesty fanart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhJh0WDWm0

EDIT: well I hosed that up real bad but at least there's a link to it now

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed from the latest episode "are you online?". Genuinely couldn't tell how much of that was ned and how much was clint