Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll admit one of the Dildo jokes towards the end made me laugh - Pierce messing around and booping the Boss on the shoulder with the Penetrator while he was trying to concentrate on the mission was pretty funny.

He trying to hide it behind him and failing due to its massive size is a good gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
World is the first Monster Hunter game I've played so maybe this is a staple, but I love that equipment is the only thing that matters. Stats don't seem to be a thing so if you want to go from fighting with a spear to fighting with a bow, you just change your inventory. It would improve every RPG I've ever played

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Subnautica seems like it would be up my alley but I can't deal with underwater segments in video games.

vainman posted:

World is the first Monster Hunter game I've played so maybe this is a staple, but I love that equipment is the only thing that matters. Stats don't seem to be a thing so if you want to go from fighting with a spear to fighting with a bow, you just change your inventory. It would improve every RPG I've ever played

I've only played Tri, but AFAIK it's series standard. World looks real good and I'll be getting it when it's out on PC. Related to my previous complaint, I hope there's no underwater monster fights. The Lagiacrus was pretty fun but I much preferred the bits where it was on land, and the mission where it was introduced was majorly anxiety inducing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gitro posted:

Subnautica seems like it would be up my alley but I can't deal with underwater segments in video games.

I've only played Tri, but AFAIK it's series standard. World looks real good and I'll be getting it when it's out on PC. Related to my previous complaint, I hope there's no underwater monster fights. The Lagiacrus was pretty fun but I much preferred the bits where it was on land, and the mission where it was introduced was majorly anxiety inducing.

There's no underwater combat and the series is way better for it.

My little thing about world: I just dressed my palico up in Paolamu armor and he is adorable. :3:

E: this isn't the favorite things thread so here's one dragging the game down: monsters run way too often. I know I can stagger them with slinger ammo but sometimes that can be annoying to do.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

was EtD the one with the talking dinosaurs and the 'walk the dinosaur' song while the dinosaur is walking?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Gitro posted:

Yeah underwater segments with enemies trigger my phobia. It took me years just to be able to deal with slaughterfish in Elder Scrolls games. I think even if you could disable enemies just the vast open water or the deep dark water of subnautica would make it unplayable. It's really irritating because I wanna see what about it makes people like this one so much over other survival games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Subnautica is cool but having no real defense really sucks. I have friends who play who are like "Oh just make this turbo mech suit, you don't die as fast in it" but that takes like, hours of progress to get. Meanwhile I'm stuck trying to harvest sea grass while some hell dragon eats my face every time I move out of my starting comfort zone. Even just giving you like, some sort of stun baton to bap things in the face with so they gently caress off would improve the game a million times over for me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Subnautica has three difficulty modes as well as Creative mode, where you have no needs, can't die, and can craft anything at will out of the ether. Though without the tension it turns into a slightly wetter Dear Esther, but with better writing.

I tried exploring the zone behind the ship's engine, and ended up needing a change of underwear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing through Dead Rising 4 on the PS4 and they advertise it as a whole complete package thing with all the DLC, except you still have to download all the DLC. That seems like something that either should have already been on the disk or automatically downloaded when you install the game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah that's how it always is. Not saying it's great but it's a pretty standard practice

Though it's weird that it didn't auto prompt you to dl it upon the initial bootup

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i hate the part in subnautica where i have to eat food and drink water

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

im pooping! posted:

I actually like that part. I take some weird delight in murdering fish and drinking them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dread to think of how you realistically get distilled-water from mixing bleach and sea-water.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Monster Hunter really could cut the hp of its large monsters by a quarter. Or half. Seeing the results screen and it showing it taking us 30 minutes to kill one monster is really disheartening. Especially after realizing the monster didn't drop one specific part and now its going to take another 30 minute endurance match to hope I get the part I wanted.

E: Also the fact that palicos vanish when a third player joins is downright criminal.

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Jan 30, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Monster Hunter really could cut the hp of its large monsters by a quarter. Or half. Seeing the results screen and it showing it taking us 30 minutes to kill one monster is really disheartening. Especially after realizing the monster didn't drop one specific part and now its going to take another 30 minute endurance match to hope I get the part I wanted.

E: Also the fact that palicos vanish when a third player joins is downright criminal.

Monsters get beefier when more players join up so if you want it to go quicker you need either higher tier weapons or to go it solo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Subnautica is cool but having no real defense really sucks. I have friends who play who are like "Oh just make this turbo mech suit, you don't die as fast in it" but that takes like, hours of progress to get. Meanwhile I'm stuck trying to harvest sea grass while some hell dragon eats my face every time I move out of my starting comfort zone. Even just giving you like, some sort of stun baton to bap things in the face with so they gently caress off would improve the game a million times over for me.

That's literally what the knife does.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i dont like subnautica because vr mode makes me nauseous

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dark Souls:

Hey, so the Asylum Demon? A big fat pile of muscle with huge loving axe who is so strong their strikes do shockwaves? Guess what damage type their shockwaves do? MAGIC.
Okay, how about his cousin, the Demon FIREsage who lives in a temple surrounded by FIRE and lava and who is himself on FIRE? What damage type does he favor? MAGIC
Okay, so there's this hydra who fires gigantic bolts of magical water at you like a mortar barrage. What damage type is that water? PHYSICAL.

In 2 and 3 I was basically never confused by the damage type of an attack, but this is happening way too often here.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ratoslov posted:

Hey, so the Asylum Demon? A big fat pile of muscle with huge loving axe who is so strong their strikes do shockwaves? Guess what damage type their shockwaves do? MAGIC.
I think you're talking about Stray Demon, the other palette swap of Asylum Demon. Asylum Demon doesn't have magic attacks.

Ratoslov posted:

Okay, how about his cousin, the Demon FIREsage who lives in a temple surrounded by FIRE and lava and who is himself on FIRE? What damage type does he favor? MAGIC

He's inexplicably weak to fire, too :nallears:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Goofy rear end damage types and weaknesses and whatever is why I've never really bothered trying to make particular sets to fight stuff, I just fashion souls it and smack guys harder.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

I don't know if it counts as dragging-down or not, but whatever:

At some time during the time I was following the game's development, someone wrote an article online explaining how food/thirst stuff in survival games fundamentally sucked because they didn't operate like real life players understood. They weren't making the ~realism~ argument as such as a "It would be as bit more fun if eating a big meal felt mechanically like you didn't have to eat for a while, instead of just resetting a hunger clock" sort of thing. It brought up better ideas than I could remember, and a Subnautica dev decided to RT and tell everyone that they were going to look into this thing.

Cut to later on, and none of that came out in the Subnautica wash. You're at 10 hunger, you eat a fish that bumps it to 50 hunger, and it'll be at 49 hunger in a second.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

im pooping! posted:

Play on the non-survival mode then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive! posted:

I think you're talking about Stray Demon, the other palette swap of Asylum Demon. Asylum Demon doesn't have magic attacks.

Yeah the stray demon doesn't wield an axe, either. It's just a stick. You can actually see him stomping around down there when you leave your cell in the beginning of the game. Most people just assume he's the Asylum Demon, however.

No excuse for the firesage being dumb though.

Yardbomb posted:

Goofy rear end damage types and weaknesses and whatever is why I've never really bothered trying to make particular sets to fight stuff, I just fashion souls it and smack guys harder.

I like how in Dark Souls 2 not only was magic scaling absolutely broken for a long time, but only a handful of bosses weren't straight up weak to lightning and out of those bosses only like three were resistant to it. So it wasn't hard at all to get a build that would, literally, one shot most of the bosses in the game. People flipped their poo poo when they toned down the lightning damage and acted like it was the end of the world. Noted bad game player DSP threw a tantrum when he fought one of the few bosses resistant to lightning, and had a small meltdown when he played the DLC and couldn't just win everything instantly.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A meltdown seems excessive. I bet he was hamming it up for the vIeWeRz

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Having watched the ongoing saga of DSP, it's more likely he had a for real meltdown, the "He's just pretending" stuff went out the window a long time ago.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if it counts as dragging-down or not, but whatever:

At some time during the time I was following the game's development, someone wrote an article online explaining how food/thirst stuff in survival games fundamentally sucked because they didn't operate like real life players understood. They weren't making the ~realism~ argument as such as a "It would be as bit more fun if eating a big meal felt mechanically like you didn't have to eat for a while, instead of just resetting a hunger clock" sort of thing. It brought up better ideas than I could remember, and a Subnautica dev decided to RT and tell everyone that they were going to look into this thing.

Cut to later on, and none of that came out in the Subnautica wash. You're at 10 hunger, you eat a fish that bumps it to 50 hunger, and it'll be at 49 hunger in a second.

Seriously? The gently caress? That was a cool article and I was happy to see a dev move away from meter spam.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Seriously? The gently caress? That was a cool article and I was happy to see a dev move away from meter spam.

subnautica got ruined when they decided to solely listen to their forum HARDCORE crowd. Oh that submarine you spent hours finding the non renewable resources to build? One wrong bump or encounter with the wrong sea monster and it and all its contents are just gone (originally it was invincible as a reward for progression but it got turned into a new set of meters to feed)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I've said it in the thread too, but I never really ran into the problems people have had with like, the Cyclops and a bunch of other stuff, so it's a hit and miss thing imo. Like after they made the medium size fish not attack it, the Cyclops has been a big ole tank for me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Prolly said this before, but man, it's really lovely to see an ad for the new Civ game (or Civ expansion? I haven't looked at the franchise in a while), get really excited... only to remember that every one of those tiles can only have one unit on it, which is flat out unacceptable (after all, Yang taught us that if X units can take a city, bring 5X), so I'm never gonna play it no matter how nice it looks.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jan 30, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nuebot posted:

I actually like that part. I take some weird delight in murdering fish and drinking them.

It's actually realistic that a human on an alien planet would try to eat everything.

Yardbomb posted:

I've said it in the thread too, but I never really ran into the problems people have had with like, the Cyclops and a bunch of other stuff, so it's a hit and miss thing imo. Like after they made the medium size fish not attack it, the Cyclops has been a big ole tank for me.

It's fine, some people just have really weird ideas when they play a game early in its development and then think that's how it should be forever. See: Corpses in Darkest Dungeon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

It's actually realistic that a human on an alien planet would try to eat everything.

I really wish more survival games would feature fun stuff like that. No Man's Sky would be marginally more fun if I could eat the weird brain slug and get food poisoning from it. I'd probably get mad the like, tenth time I die from making GBS threads but it would be fun.

Away all Goats posted:

It's fine, some people just have really weird ideas when they play a game early in its development and then think that's how it should be forever. See: Corpses in Darkest Dungeon

:shepface: half of the additions to Darkest Dungeon as it went on got really, really weird and I'm glad they added the option toggle most of them off. Like most of them were basically just there to penalize you for having bad luck, so you couldn't recover from the bad luck because gently caress you. And apparently that's what the hardcore players want - to negate any and all skill or strategy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

kazil posted:

You're going to just love Capra Demon

ugghhhhhh

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nuebot posted:

I'd probably get mad the like, tenth time I die from making GBS threads but it would be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

subnautica got ruined when they decided to solely listen to their forum HARDCORE crowd. Oh that submarine you spent hours finding the non renewable resources to build? One wrong bump or encounter with the wrong sea monster and it and all its contents are just gone (originally it was invincible as a reward for progression but it got turned into a new set of meters to feed)

Darkest Dungeon syndrome strikes again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ark had some really fun ideas but its online system is a complete mess and 99% of public servers are straight up unplayable because they're all owned by groups that just roam the island eating every structure and making sure no player can make it past stone tier. Because it was totally a good idea to introduce a dinosaur that can eat stone.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Complaining about food and water in subnautica is what gave the thread its title.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Even just giving you like, some sort of stun baton to bap things in the face with so they gently caress off would improve the game a million times over for me.

As another has said, the knife fits that purpose, most things will temporarily gently caress off if you bap em with it. Not much later down the line you also get a stasis rifle, which you can use to stunlock pretty much everything, and then shank it to death. And a gravgun, which can be upgraded into a 'fuckoff' gun that team rockets fish you don't like. Late game you can just DIY a rocket launcher, by filling your pockets with seabase bred crashfish and loading them into the aforementioned gravgun.

For my thing dragging the game down, it's predators always being aggressive and having way too high a density of 'em to boot. Completely gently caress the underwater islands biome, it's more shark than water, which sucks since it looks like a real cool place to explore, but you'll never get the chance because it's constantly throwing sharks at you. Same issue with some of the endgame biomes, but I'm more willing to give them a pass since those biomes are naturally so oppressive you don't want to stop and smell the roses there.

Also, I don't know when it was changed, but the game is way way too dark now. The Prawn's headlights are so much shite now they may as well not exist. I dread what going into the underdepths is gonna be like now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

As another has said, the knife fits that purpose, most things will temporarily gently caress off if you bap em with it. Not much later down the line you also get a stasis rifle, which you can use to stunlock pretty much everything, and then shank it to death. And a gravgun, which can be upgraded into a 'fuckoff' gun that team rockets fish you don't like. Late game you can just DIY a rocket launcher, by filling your pockets with seabase bred crashfish and loading them into the aforementioned gravgun.

I genuinely didn't know you could do any of that. Last time I played the game it had a very strict like, no offensive weaponry aside from your knife thing. And using a knife on a sea dragon absolutely didn't occur to me. I might play it again soon with that in mind, knifing those jerks will make it a lot easier to feed my grass addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely didn't know you could do any of that. Last time I played the game it had a very strict like, no offensive weaponry aside from your knife thing. And using a knife on a sea dragon absolutely didn't occur to me. I might play it again soon with that in mind, knifing those jerks will make it a lot easier to feed my grass addiction.

There's still almost no directly offensive weaponry, just the knife and ineffectual gasopod torpedoes, but you can finagle most of the more complex tools to be offensive. The most useful honestly is the upgraded, or well sidegraded gravgun. It trades the ability to pull things for excessively increased push. Doesn't tend to actually kill most things, unless you use it to repeatedly slam them into the nearest cliff face, but being able to roughly point in the direction of a bothersome fish and have it rapidly become a tiny confused spec in the distance is very very useful. Just, never accidentally fire it off while inside your seabase.

And when you do finally get a prawn suit, you can use the grapple to literally ride a shark while you punch or drill it to death. I wish you could give the suit the sidegraded gravgun, but you can only make the standard one for it. Which is still rather useful; being able to pull things off the distant cave ceiling without getting out of your stompy safety bubble is nice.

Edit: Another amusing but inefficient way to kill a fish; stasis it with the stasis rifle, then attach a bunch of floaters to it and watch it launch into space when the stasis wears off.

Jawnycat has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jan 30, 2018