Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-30/nab-business-survery-december-2017/9373210

quote:

While the bulk of Australian business enjoyed an upbeat festive season, retailers were looking at falling sales and profits.
The respected and influential NAB business survey found retail continued to be the economy's black spot in December — a reputation it has endured for most of the past 18 months.
Overall business conditions remained unchanged at historically high levels, while confidence bounced, reversing much of the weaker sentiment that has been hovering since the middle of year.
However, the weakness across all retail sectors and measures continues to be a major worry, given domestic consumption underpins around 60 per cent of the economy.
All key retail sectors surveyed by NAB — including food, vehicles, personal and household items — reported negative conditions.
Within those sectors, sales, prices and profitability were negative, while employment conditions were "strongly negative".
"Final retail prices also weakened sharply in December into negative territory, and are running at a slower rate than labour costs and purchases costs, pointing to margin compression," NAB observed.
Despite the weak conditions, retailers remained in a surprisingly rosy mood, according to the survey.
"It is not clear what is driving this confidence, but it has been relatively unwavering over the whole of 2017," NAB chief economist Alan Oster noted.
What does 'conditions' mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

the article posted:

Within those sectors, sales, prices and profitability were negative, while employment conditions were "strongly negative".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol Craig Kelly says we shouldn’t invest in electric cars because they are powered by dirty coal power plants

If only there was a solution to this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I know! Let's make tipping a standard across retail sectors and

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Direct action doesn't work when you are targeting people's feelings. You need to have financial or physical repercussions.

Zenithe posted:

Calmly explaining to a single person where their animal products come from would be far better than this.

:lol:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Tone arguments itt

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey JBP, do you know what's involved in producing milk?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Zenithe posted:

Calmly explaining to a single person where their animal products come from would be far better than this.

Sir you are trapping mothers in cages and drinking their baby juices.

Get out of my house.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Hey JBP, do you know what's involved in producing milk?

Nah whats a cool thing to watch about it? I watched that cow movie Di Caprio made but it was a bit flim flammy. Hit me with the good poo poo.

e: or do you just mean keeping them pregnant year round and plugged into the milk machine?

ee: I'm watching some obnoxious peta video about it while I eat my lunch.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kommando posted:

Defence Procurement Stuff

So wait, we had a profitable production line rolling off defence material and so we sold it to a multinational who probably pays no tax on corporate profits because PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

edit: I love that the entire debacle around retail spending vs. economic growth can be really, really easily distilled down to "Literally all the money has moved to a handful of billionaires, who pitch a couple crumbs at a handful of their white collar minions, while everyone else is totally hosed, and unable to afford non-essential goods in the face of spiralling household debt and cost of living issues" - and yet our media are so loving lazy/complicit that we can't even have an adult conversation about that fact.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 30, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bishops fear Catholics could be caught in foreign influence dragnet

Australian Catholic bishops are worried proposed foreign interference laws could force Catholics who make contact with their local MPs to register as agents of Vatican City.

lol

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JBP posted:

Nah whats a cool thing to watch about it? I watched that cow movie Di Caprio made but it was a bit flim flammy. Hit me with the good poo poo.

e: or do you just mean keeping them pregnant year round and plugged into the milk machine?

ee: I'm watching some obnoxious peta video about it while I eat my lunch.

In brief:

-forcefully artificially inseminated to get the milk going
-separated from their calves almost immediately after birth (because otherwise it would be drinking your milk) which causes serious stress to both but especially the mother.
-male calves raised briefly then killed for veal (most common source of Australian veal is the dairy industry), female ones get to follow in your footsteps
-kept stationary while milking, which is often physically painful for the cow.
-prolonged effect of milking machines causes severe mastitis, usually treated with mass antibiotics.
-repeat until no longer profitable, then slaughtered

Also depending on where, they may also have painful procedures performed on them such as dehorning, which isn't required to be done under anaesthetic for animals under 12 months under the most recent Australian Cattle Standards and Guidelines.

It's hosed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

This poo poo annoys me, and just creates needless antagonism towards a movement that most people support on some level.

Wouldn't get on the news, though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

Wouldn't get on the news, though

If their goal is to minimise animal suffering (and it should be) then they need to get people to stop supporting those industries. I doubt anyone is going to do that based on this. I could be wrong though.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol Craig Kelly says we shouldn’t invest in electric cars because they are powered by dirty coal power plants

If only there was a solution to this

He's my local member and he's an entirely useless lump of poo poo. That being said, Morrison used to be my member before redistricting, and that was probably worse.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kommando posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Protected_Mobility_Vehicle?wprov=sfla1

Also the smaller PMV light Hawkei is Australian made and designed, and set to be exported.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkei?wprov=sfla1

QLD and SA are currently positioning to build the ASLAV replacements.
Interesting but doing the numbers Bushmaster exports are ~%15 of production (and half of that total goes in the French column anyway :france:)
And Hawkei ~5% of production.

Compared to our F35 expenditure this is completely a rounding error and in no way puts us at number 10 of international arms exporters. This is deputy sheriff poo poo at best.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

If their goal is to minimise animal suffering (and it should be) then they need to get people to stop supporting those industries. I doubt anyone is going to do that based on this. I could be wrong though.

Fairly certain that literally nobody who isn't already on board with their beliefs will see this in anything but a negative light.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Honestly the only reason I don't eat a lot of meat and drink almond milk is because it's better for me and I don't get fat. I'll eat a burger on the weekend or go out for a steak, but 5 nights a week I will at most have some chicken and every other meal is vegetarian. I plan to replace the chicken with fish, but that's not a save the chicken choice, it's that I prefer fish and I think it's better for me.

This is meant to be an affirmative campaign, not a direct action campaign harassing people while they eat their dinner. Let people make an affirmative choice based on good reasoning even if it isn't the reasoning you like (that it is morally wrong). I don't think it's morally wrong to eat a bird that has been bred from day one to be a big fat protein sack that tastes good and I look at a cow or any other animal the same way. I do consider my wellbeing though and I know that eating nothing but red meat and cheese is going to gently caress me up, so I don't do it. The minor upshot to me is that an animal is never created in the lab/breeder that feeds demand.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cool, and the byproduct of that is that a lot less animals will suffer, you have a considerably smaller carbon footprint , as well as the health reasons you stated.

All are excellent reasons independently. Almond milk is gross tho.

e. Just reiterating I think those activists were idiots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Cool, and the byproduct of that is that a lot less animals will suffer, you have a considerably smaller carbon footprint , as well as the health reasons you stated.

All are excellent reasons independently. Almond milk is gross tho.

e. Just reiterating I think those activists were idiots.

It is, in this case, literally all good.

It looked to me like a group of people blooding themselves and demonstrating to each other how on board they were with the crew. Not well planned or well intended. A circle jerk.

e: I have done politically motivated acts that were not useful but did make me look like a big man in front of my friends.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
for every chicken JBP is no longer eating I’ll eat two

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

for every chicken JBP is no longer eating I’ll eat two

Good. I feel guilty not supporting my old mates, the chicken murderers.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Good. I feel guilty not supporting my old mates, the chicken murderers.

solidarity :ussr:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'll switch over to vat grown meat as soon as it tastes and costs the same

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

It looked to me like a group of people blooding themselves and demonstrating to each other how on board they were with the crew. Not well planned or well intended. A circle jerk.

This is pretty much the world in general to be fair.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Check it guys

https://www.facebook.com/ClimateChangeIsNatural/posts/1748447445207174

Edit - nvm sorry pretty obvious should have looked closer

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 30, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

extremely

fake. idiot

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

Is this real?

https://www.facebook.com/ClimateChangeIsNatural/posts/1748447445207174

Edit - nvm sorry pretty obvious should have looked closer

ah yes the incredibly real and definitely not fake "City of Greater Melbourne" and "Supreme Islamic Council of Victoria".

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kafka Syrup posted:

ah yes the incredibly real and definitely not fake "City of Greater Melbourne" and "Supreme Islamic Council of Victoria".

the supreme council of shitposters has declared that this thread is now halal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Supreme Feminism Council of Mia Freedmania"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The whole "reduce animal cruelty by not eating meat" seems like falling into the trap of thinking individual action makes a measurable difference.

Far better than trying to convince literally everyone to not eat meat would be to legislate that meat and milk be produced far less cruelly and accept that the decreased production per animal will result in higher shelf prices and thus reduce cruelty at the start and reduce consumption at the end by using economic drivers rather than relying on good actors to change their behavior since people are fundamentally selfish assholes.

I understand how much cruelty goes into all the meat, eggs and milk I consume but I don't have enough personal runtime to make the changes necessary to ameliorate it and I'm someone who cares and wants to do the right thing.

Regulation needs to price in externalities in cruelty, slavery, environmental damage etc, by either making them unprofitable compared to non damaging competitors or preventing those practices in the first place and that can only happen through collective political action, not by shouting at people in a restaurant.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I couldn't really see it on my phone but yes I realised seconds after posting, please excuse me for an unnecessary post

JBP posted:

"Supreme Feminism Council of Mia Freedmania"

Come on now

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

The whole "reduce animal cruelty by not eating meat" seems like falling into the trap of thinking individual action makes a measurable difference.

Far better than trying to convince literally everyone to not eat meat would be to legislate that meat and milk be produced far less cruelly and accept that the decreased production per animal will result in higher shelf prices and thus reduce cruelty at the start and reduce consumption at the end by using economic drivers rather than relying on good actors to change their behavior since people are fundamentally selfish assholes.

I understand how much cruelty goes into all the meat, eggs and milk I consume but I don't have enough personal runtime to make the changes necessary to ameliorate it and I'm someone who cares and wants to do the right thing.

Regulation needs to price in externalities in cruelty, slavery, environmental damage etc, by either making them unprofitable compared to non damaging competitors or preventing those practices in the first place and that can only happen through collective political action, not by shouting at people in a restaurant.

Get people to Eat way more kangaroo

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
JBP I feel like you haven't fully considered what you're going to do when Freedmania runs wild all over this thread.

Again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Honestly the only reason I don't eat a lot of meat and drink almond milk is because it's better for me and I don't get fat. I'll eat a burger on the weekend or go out for a steak, but 5 nights a week I will at most have some chicken and every other meal is vegetarian. I plan to replace the chicken with fish, but that's not a save the chicken choice, it's that I prefer fish and I think it's better for me.

This is meant to be an affirmative campaign, not a direct action campaign harassing people while they eat their dinner. Let people make an affirmative choice based on good reasoning even if it isn't the reasoning you like (that it is morally wrong). I don't think it's morally wrong to eat a bird that has been bred from day one to be a big fat protein sack that tastes good and I look at a cow or any other animal the same way. I do consider my wellbeing though and I know that eating nothing but red meat and cheese is going to gently caress me up, so I don't do it. The minor upshot to me is that an animal is never created in the lab/breeder that feeds demand.

Lady Dongington and I decided to stop eating red meat at home, so we mostly exist on chicken and fish with the odd vegetarian meal. I also swapped soy for cow's milk ages ago and can't go back, but we still have cheddar in the house most of the time.

We still hit the odd cheeseburger up on the weekend, but you know that as soon as Lab Meat becomes economically viable, Micky D's will be hitting that poo poo hard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

I reckon it's a good one to try and change individual habits though, because unlike businesses and individuals consuming power, water and gas, you can only consume so many chickens as an individual. If they ran a concerted lamb/dairy lobby campaign I think you'd get a decent number of people like me that think "gently caress it I'll just buy less of this stuff and improve my health and possibly my wallet" on a selfish level.

I know dairy had a lot of money and a pack of no good vegan hippies don't have a man in Canberra, but it doesn't change that no one really ate cheese until they told us how healthy it was.

Don Dongington posted:

Lady Dongington and I decided to stop eating red meat at home, so we mostly exist on chicken and fish with the odd vegetarian meal. I also swapped soy for cow's milk ages ago and can't go back, but we still have cheddar in the house most of the time.

We still hit the odd cheeseburger up on the weekend, but you know that as soon as Lab Meat becomes economically viable, Micky D's will be hitting that poo poo hard.

I will feast like a loving mad king on mass produced vat chops that don't cost $40 a kilo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I honestly don't know why they can't just make a one stop source of all the nutrition I need, weigh it in perfectly at 1900kcal a day, and then make it perfectly emulate a mcnugget. Come on science.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I reckon it's a good one to try and change individual habits though, because unlike businesses and individuals consuming power, water and gas, you can only consume so many chickens as an individual. If they ran a concerted lamb/dairy lobby campaign I think you'd get a decent number of people like me that think "gently caress it I'll just buy less of this stuff and improve my health and possibly my wallet" on a selfish level.

I know dairy had a lot of money and a pack of no good vegan hippies don't have a man in Canberra, but it doesn't change that no one really ate cheese until they told us how healthy it was.

I don't have any problem with people choosing to change their own habits, but I don't think you can rely on that to make sweeping changes to the way society works, it's too slow and fundamentally requires way too much engagement than you're ever going to get. gently caress we can barely stop this country from electing PHON, how are we going to convince enough people that eating red meat is pretty bad for themselves, cows and the environment, let alone with enough conviction to change their habits?

I don't think that people who make the right choices are wrong. I think we need to use more leverage to force people into being better than "please be better people" because that mostly doesn't work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

I don't have any problem with people choosing to change their own habits, but I don't think you can rely on that to make sweeping changes to the way society works, it's too slow and fundamentally requires way too much engagement than you're ever going to get. gently caress we can barely stop this country from electing PHON, how are we going to convince enough people that eating red meat is pretty bad for themselves, cows and the environment, let alone with enough conviction to change their habits?

I don't think that people who make the right choices are wrong. I think we need to use more leverage to force people into being better than "please be better people" because that mostly doesn't work.

I am talking incredibly underhanded tactics targeting mums in the same way cheese did. I agree with you on this, but boy, did they clear out that backlog of cheese fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Vegans protesters with megaphones should be force fed bacon and sausages.

Or they should volunteer to take the place of the animals in the slaughter houses.

You think meat lovers don't know where it comes from? :laffo:

I've got a hungering for some nice cooked animal muscle right now. I also don't care what the animal thought about it.

• Locked thread