Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
The smoke from the NYE fireworks has cleared to reveal a largely unchanged Australia, except for the surprising fact of Alexander Downer becoming relevant again.

What we can expect in 2018
Invasion/Australia day is quickly approaching, so we can look forward to rampant jingoistic debate and grandstanding from the conservative media for the rest of January.

Will Malcolm Turnbull make it to the end of 2018 as PM of Australia?
Will Bill Shorten stop stealing Greens policy from 5 years ago?
Will Richard Di Natale finally reveal himself as a Sith lord and dissolve the Senate?

Stay tuned to find out.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Q: why did you not put the thread up on time?
OP: The answer is mate, because I wanted to do it slowly.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thanks op

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This thread belongs to China

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
this is the op you lazy fuckers deserve for not making a new thread yesterday

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
No.
No.
????? but no.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Zenithe posted:

????? but no.

search your feelings

you know it to be true

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I subscribe to Stan for a handful of shows, but mainly because they actually seem to be creating a lot of Australian content.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Q: why did you not put the thread up on time?
OP: The answer is mate, because I wanted to do it slowly.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kim Beazley was on TV last night talking about Downer. It's the 90s again.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Happy NYE! Vuvuzelas down! Dogwhistles in!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-02/tourists-should-prove-driving-skills-to-help-cut-road-toll:-mp/9297088

Personally I thought the plebiscite was too plebeian.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/malcolm-turnbull-plebiscite-comments-welcomed-by-republicans/9298036

True Aussies:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-02/group-builds-island-to-avoid-nz-drinking-ban/9297776

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Both Turnbull and Greg Hunt are after Dandrews over the "Apex Gang" bullshit again:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-01/african-gang-crime-out-of-control-in-melbourne-minister-says/9296476

Looks like they are trying their best to get some spotlight on their lame duck Vic Liberal Leader, but yawwwwwwwn.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/old-cars-saving-radio-but-it-s-next-in-line-for-disruption-20180101-p4yy5p.html

Radio advertising remains buoyant due to Australians driving decade old cars.

TV however

Smh posted:

Mr Kaynes said broadcast television was "unlikely to ever again see a meaningful uplift in share of the ad market" and pointed to a decline in advertising on linear TV, including free to air and pay, since 2010.

But the total spend on video advertising, including online spend, continued to grow.

He said broadcast viewing was in "rapid decline" as subscription services increased in popularity, with the television becoming "the device of choice for watching internet video, illegally downloaded video content, and for playing games".

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Kommando posted:

Kim Beazley was on TV last night talking about Downer. It's the 90s again.

If you really want to feel like nothing ever changes, watch Frontline. The stories and tactics of current affairs shows haven't changed, and the jokes are about people like Bronwyn Bishop, Hillary Clinton and Pauline Hanson.

Also just watch Frontline anyway.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
are we becoming south africa, or was south africa just emulating australia?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Recoome posted:

are we becoming south africa, or was south africa just emulating australia?

South Africa is like being able to peer into the alternate timeline in which Australia was colonised by the Dutch instead of the British.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's not like satellite/digital radio doesn't have ads

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How'd the Wake in Fright series turn out?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

What we can expect in 2018
Invasion/Australia day is quickly approaching, so we can look forward to rampant jingoistic debate and grandstanding from the conservative media for the rest of January.

My office is going to be working in Invasion Day from the Tent Embassy if anyone wants to join us.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I'm really curious to see the cultural impact that changing the Hottest 100 date will have. I'm hoping it'll be significant. Though they really should change it to something other than just the day after invasion day lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They changed it to the last weekend of January or something, which coincidentally fell on the day after Australia Day this year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They changed it to the last weekend of January or something, which coincidentally fell on the day after Australia Day this year.

And is on Australia Day itself next year.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It starts to separate well from 2021 though, which I think actually aids the transition if it's close but not quite for a few years.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

I'm really curious to see the cultural impact that changing the Hottest 100 date will have. I'm hoping it'll be significant. Though they really should change it to something other than just the day after invasion day lol

It's not like shifting it to April will suddenly make everyone wake up and go "hey, we treat Indigenous people really badly". Just changing the day is irritating the usual suspects more than enough.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Honestly changing the date of hottest hundred was a masterstroke and the backlash from the usual suspects has been hilarious. :allears:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

What up you drongos

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
happy new year bcr

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
what are your thoughts on donut king

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

australiar posted:

what are your thoughts on donut king

i’m the donut king

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

You Am I posted:

Both Turnbull and Greg Hunt are after Dandrews over the "Apex Gang" bullshit again:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-01/african-gang-crime-out-of-control-in-melbourne-minister-says/9296476

Looks like they are trying their best to get some spotlight on their lame duck Vic Liberal Leader, but yawwwwwwwn.

love to see this being reported uncritically by our independent national news service

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Aunty is now a racist.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

They're completely lost for ideas. The Feds can't make the state Libs look competent at all, but somehow they feel beholden to them? I don't know why they're bothering unless making a noise elsewhere provokes more laughter and scorn.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

They're completely lost for ideas. The Feds can't make the state Libs look competent at all, but somehow they feel beholden to them? I don't know why they're bothering unless making a noise elsewhere provokes more laughter and scorn.

APEX GANGS rhetoric works in regional cities and in places where people genuinely don't know better. It's absolutely racist wolf whistling and everyone pushing the story should called out as the racist pieces of poo poo they absolutely are.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Australian housing prices drop, led by Sydney and Darwin slowdown

quote:

Cautious home buyers and stricter lending policies are responsible for a drop in housing prices across Australia, according to a leading property report.

Property consultant CoreLogic's monthly figures revealed national property prices fell 0.3 per cent in December, setting the scene for a weaker housing market this year.

"Although credit policies are likely to remain tight, we expect mortgage rates to remain low in 2018, providing a positive lending environment for those who are able to secure credit," CoreLogic's head of research Tim Lawless said.

Sydney and Darwin were the weakest housing markets that month, slipping 0.9 per cent since November — while Hobart recorded the strongest growth in the country.

The nation's biggest capital city also saw its prices fall by 2.4 per cent since in the last quarter.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Apex gangs bad, Australian Patriot Front gangs good????

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If yall don't like Australia day you can go to work instead.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
We have to do something about these Vietnamese African gangs in Cabramatta Melbourne! They're out of control!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If yall don't like Australia day you can go to work instead.

I would but I'm not allowed

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Any tech goons know about how the interchanges work? I've had Telstra come out 5 times over the last two months to fix faults, and it appears to be leaking water in based on when the speed slows down and the signal drops out, and what the last two technicians have said.

Is this something that should get fixed or am I going to have to just lodge a fault every time it rains?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Any tech goons know about how the interchanges work? I've had Telstra come out 5 times over the last two months to fix faults, and it appears to be leaking water in based on when the speed slows down and the signal drops out, and what the last two technicians have said.

Is this something that should get fixed or am I going to have to just lodge a fault every time it rains?

Enjoy!

Their old copper pits flooded all the time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/kels_316/status/948044427255099393

• Locked thread