Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So kind of last minute, but my raid group is looking for one person on the Aether datacenter for sigmascape prog! Tank preferred, but we can be flexible with party roles. Just looking for somebody fun and chill to run endgame content with who's at least moderately good at what they do.

Current raid times are Thursday/Sunday/Monday from 7-10PM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda hope Lone Wolf the Pickpocket shows up in the new Hildibrand stories. They already have the werewolf Beast Tribe.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kinda hope Lone Wolf the Pickpocket shows up in the new Hildibrand stories. They already have the werewolf Beast Tribe.

At what point are the wolf dudes a beast tribe and miqote not?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KoB posted:

At what point are the wolf dudes a beast tribe and miqote not?

Snouts

e: Though it's unclear whether the wolfmen are a beast tribe in the first place, they seem pretty integrated into Doman society, don't have their own separate enclaves or anything.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

楽しみにしてください:phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phone: hello? Is this YoshiP? I would like to log in and play final fantasy XIV online

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

Snouts

e: Though it's unclear whether the wolfmen are a beast tribe in the first place, they seem pretty integrated into Doman society, don't have their own separate enclaves or anything.

In general, the Ruby Sea, Resistance, and Doma seem to treat their local beast tribes with more respect than Ishgard and Eorzea.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The definition of beast tribe seems to be "species that we are racist against"

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

In general, the Ruby Sea, Resistance, and Doma seem to treat their local beast tribes with more respect than Ishgard and Eorzea.

Even in Eorzea you have Mamool Ja, Goblins, and Qiqirn hanging around in Limsa. The Sylphs of Little Solace and Gridania are on good terms. It really just seems to be "Do you summon primals? Then get out," in the west. Lyse's gambit with the Qaylana was an attempt to circumvent the problems the other city-states have to deal with, by offering them a seat at the table of a budding Republic, rather than pushing them away. For a time, the Vanu Vanu and Ishgard were on good terms. Camp Cloudtop was, and becomes once again after you liberate the Gundu and Zundu, a trading outpost between the two. Tailfeather and the Non-mind Vath start with a mutual avoidance of eachother that evolves in to a trade relationship, and Deftarm opens up co-operative work with Convictory Knights.

Novv's Clutch, 789th Order, Brotherhood of Ash, and Ehcatl Nine are really the only ones that don't mingle with the other races besides the WoL and the intermediary NPCs, and with good reason since they are a huge minority, considered outsiders even among their tribes. Aside from Gi Gu and his boys. They're just lazy as hell.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 30, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't forget the Moogles that purportedly live in the Shroud that we never see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, it's actually kind of remarkable to me how *positive* the relationships are between the "PC" groups/species/whatever and the various beast tribes. I'm not even sure the "Beast tribe" thing is a thing in the East. The kojin kind of live to themselves but they can live underwater so it makes sense that they *would* live underwater and avoid dickfencing with the landlubbers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don't forget the Moogles that purportedly live in the Shroud that we never see.

Uhh, we do things with them often and have since ARR. The shroud moogles didn't play a role in stormblood but they were involved in ARR and HW. They even summon a primal that we have to deal with.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

hobbesmaster posted:

Water can be a new class.

Blitzball player?

The idea seems to be that BLM gets half the elements (Fire/Ice/Thunder) and WHM gets the other half (Earth/Wind/Water), with the healing spells representing water.

The other jobs incorporate elements to some degree - MNK gets Fire/Earth/Wind, MCH uses Thunder, while others just use pure aetheric energy like PLD.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, there are definitely some Beastmen that get accepted in Eorzea, but there's also this undercurrent of distrust or wariness? Even Y'shtola, who is the first to point out that Limsa Lominsa has equal responsibility when it comes to the quarrels with the Sahagin and Kobolds, wasn't really sure how she felt about goblins taking up residence in her old home until they proved themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, there are definitely some Beastmen that get accepted in Eorzea, but there's also this undercurrent of distrust or wariness? Even Y'shtola, who is the first to point out that Limsa Lominsa has equal responsibility when it comes to the quarrels with the Sahagin and Kobolds, wasn't really sure how she felt about goblins taking up residence in her old home until they proved themselves.

Beastfolk in Eorzea have an unfortunate habit of summoning the gently caress out of primals, which in turn makes people distrust them, which in turn makes them summon more primals for self-defense. That's discounting the usual 'both sides are assholes' part.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, that's literally the case in Limsa, at least. I'm not as familiar with the beastmen politics in Ul'dah due to not starting there.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, that's literally the case in Limsa, at least. I'm not as familiar with the beastmen politics in Ul'dah due to not starting there.

The Amal'jaa have always had a culture that prided itself on martial strength but after the fall of Ala Mhigo, Ul'dah kicked out its beastmen population in an attempt to prematurely appease the Garleans.

Good job Ul'dah.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The primal summoning issue is only 10ish years old. It wasn't really happening until the Garleans invaded and hosed up silvertear lake.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The primal summoning issue is only 10ish years old. It wasn't really happening until the Garleans invaded and hosed up silvertear lake.

So what made it become an issue? Is there a place I can read up on this sort of lore? Did I just miss some point where it was explained in the MSQ?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Rosalind posted:

So what made it become an issue? Is there a place I can read up on this sort of lore? Did I just miss some point where it was explained in the MSQ?

when silvertear lake had the giant airship + middy crash into it it unleashed a serious amount of ether into the realm, so it became piss easy to summon primals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rosalind posted:

Silvertear lake was basically a sealed well of aether. When it popped, it spread so much of it around that primal summoning became feasible for smaller groups. Primal summoning happened a lot historically, but it took a nation's worth of effort to do so.

This might be Eorzea specific. The other lands haven't really been addressed, but primals still seem fairly rare in places we've seen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Silvertear lake was basically a sealed well of aether. When it popped, it spread so much of it around that primal summoning became feasible for smaller groups. Primal summoning happened a lot historically, but it took a nation's worth of effort to do so.

This might be Eorzea specific. The other lands haven't really been addressed, but primals still seem fairly rare in places we've seen.
I think Eorzea also has a lot of native crystal deposits - more than most other places at least. The Ascians also helpfully shared around the methodology for summoning

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, the reason Silvertear Lake had so much aether in the first place is that Eorzea is at the crossroads of magical leylines or something like that, which is why all these great magical empires throughout history have been based there. The Battle of Silvertear Skies just freed up that magic making it easier to access. Similar kind of thing conceptually to what happened in the Bahamut/Louisoix fight with all the ambient aether released there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Uhh, we do things with them often and have since ARR. The shroud moogles didn't play a role in stormblood but they were involved in ARR and HW. They even summon a primal that we have to deal with.

I meant more that they're in the Shroud, but we never see where they live.

Gally posted:

when silvertear lake had the giant airship + middy crash into it it unleashed a serious amount of ether into the realm, so it became piss easy to summon primals.

Oh Middy. I guess that's why he's on speaking terms with Hydaelyn?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 30, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Well he is also an alien from space.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah. It's easy to gloss over, but that cool early game CGI of Middy vs Airship action is basically the point where all hell broke lose in Eorzea because the seal under the lake broke as a result of that fight. Gaius didn't just retreat for ten years because he lost his biggest ship (though that was part of it). It was mainly because gods that can permanently enthrall humans just by looking at them started popping up all over the place and the Garleans were freaking the hell out about this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Yeah. It's easy to gloss over, but that cool early game CGI of Middy vs Airship action is basically the point where all hell broke lose in Eorzea because the seal under the lake broke as a result of that fight. Gaius didn't just retreat for ten years because he lost his biggest ship (though that was part of it). It was mainly because gods that can permanently enthrall humans just by looking at them started popping up all over the place and the Garleans were freaking the hell out about this.
You'd think the Garleans would be relatively able to fight Primals, though I suppose the real rear end-fuckers like Shinryu would be too strong. But they have all their robutts and mammets and so on. You can keep actual live people well away from the battlefield, or just providing support in armor.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

You'd think the Garleans would be relatively able to fight Primals

Well, there was Shiva. :smith:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh Middy. I guess that's why he's on speaking terms with Hydaelyn?

According to the lorebook, the races of man say that Midgardsormr was created along with water by Althyk and Nimeia. The dragons say that Midgardsormr came to Hydaelyn 'before time' with seven eggs (because dragons reproduce asexually). Either way he's definitely incredibly old, especially since he's the first dragon ever.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 30, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

You'd think the Garleans would be relatively able to fight Primals, though I suppose the real rear end-fuckers like Shinryu would be too strong. But they have all their robutts and mammets and so on. You can keep actual live people well away from the battlefield, or just providing support in armor.

Living troops still form the bulk of their armies. It'd be a logistical nightmare to try and constantly fight off new Primals when their manufacturing capabilities simply aren't up to the task. It's why such a high emphasis is placed on Ultima Weapon by Gaius: it's a way of defeating Primals without having to sacrifice huge numbers of troops or machines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Garlean Magitek is piloted and there's not really any indication that being in Magitek saves you from tempering. They do have some non-piloted stuff but it doesn't seem to be their biggest hitters and Primals are pretty loving big deals.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thundarr posted:

What I don’t understand about that CGI is why the WoL is there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

What I don’t understand about that CGI is why the WoL is there.
The Echo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

vOv posted:

According to the lorebook, the races of man say that Midgardsormr was created along with water by Althyk and Nimeia. The dragons say that Midgardsormr came to Hydaelyn 'before time' with seven eggs (because dragons reproduce asexually). Either way he's definitely incredibly old, especially since he's the first dragon ever.

Well, that explains some things.

Vermain posted:

Living troops still form the bulk of their armies. It'd be a logistical nightmare to try and constantly fight off new Primals when their manufacturing capabilities simply aren't up to the task. It's why such a high emphasis is placed on Ultima Weapon by Gaius: it's a way of defeating Primals without having to sacrifice huge numbers of troops or machines.

Also, as an Azys Lla quest mentions, Garlean Magitek is just a bootleg version of Allagan tech. Despite how impressive it looks, it's probably not nearly as good performance-wise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ohhhhhh.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Let's be honest, The Echo is basically FFXIV's Coriolis Effect. It does everything from let you see the past, to understand all languages, to seeing danger patches on the ground, to providing you with quantum immortality.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The whole "the Echo is what lets you see AoE markers" is just a widespread fan theory that has no lore basis (even though it'd make sense).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Keep in mind that this was before they had a solid idea of what they wanted the Echo to be, hence why the WoL gets to help out with the morbol fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

By that logic, would that make EX and Savage fights What Ifs where the WoL still hasn't gotten the Blessing of Light back?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also they portray it pretty differently now, in 1.0 usually you physically embodied the time and place you were flashing back to. The 1.0 story flipped back and forth a lot between two time periods and didn't really bother to bring it to the player's attention until they finally say "oh yeah your friends Ascilia and Minfilia are the same person just 5 years apart", so the 1.0 cinematic makes a lot more sense in that context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

By that logic, would that make EX and Savage fights What Ifs where the WoL still hasn't gotten the Blessing of Light back?

Extreme and Savage fights are generally given the explanation of being either more powerful versions of the Primals that you fought, or a fanciful "what if" scenario invented by the Wandering Minstrel or similar NPCs.