Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
They seem to be more survivable then a 60gp mook with lovely armor and a sharp stick, so I think I will keep one or two around. I want better armor so I am trying to hunt up some dudes to dagger-party, but archers are killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Does are 3ap to release, so nice on polearm or two handed guys. Hound masters make them start with Confident.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Armored doggos are exceptionally useful for running down breaking enemies when you have to bring their heads in for patrol assignments. I put them on polearm users as well.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I will spend as manny doggo lifes as it takes to ensure the death of every last fuckin goblin shaman that dares to stand against me.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Yes dogs are max efficient against goblins imo.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The AI prioritises hitting dogs, which means they are perfect as emergency ablative armour. Guy taking a whupping? Throw out a dog or two. Guy in over his head? Throw out a dog. Need to screen a wounded dude from archers so he can limp away? Dogs. Need to stagger a tidal wave of orcs into manageable portions? Dogs are nature's speedbump, my friend.

Once I get a company rolling, I am basically buying out a kennel's entire supply of dogs every time I roll through down. Expensive, but much cheaper than replacing a valuable brother + all his gear.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Last Transmission posted:

I will spend as manny doggo lifes as it takes to ensure the death of every last fuckin goblin shaman that dares to stand against me.

disgusting coward posted:

The AI prioritises hitting dogs, which means they are perfect as emergency ablative armour. Guy taking a whupping? Throw out a dog or two. Guy in over his head? Throw out a dog. Need to screen a wounded dude from archers so he can limp away? Dogs. Need to stagger a tidal wave of orcs into manageable portions? Dogs are nature's speedbump, my friend.

Once I get a company rolling, I am basically buying out a kennel's entire supply of dogs every time I roll through down. Expensive, but much cheaper than replacing a valuable brother + all his gear.

Dogs are awesome. They run down the trash that is exactly as fast as you, and they have crap melee/ranged defense so they get targeted first. They also count as distractions, so each dog is a 5% extra chance to hit, and the upgraded ones deal some decent damage and have a big health pool as well. I load them on my front line, and stack bandages on the back line.

You get dogs back unless they die as well, so unlike all the other on use items they don't go away or have to be recharged (unless you're using them as speed bumps/extra armor)

Finally, they're amazing against fundead legionares. You move two bros up and two bros down, the rest of your main life a step or two back. Unleash the hounds from your side and rush the polearms, the doggos keep your flankers from soaking up too many polearm hits, and their team wigs out because they can't rotate the lancers away from bros altogether.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
For the guy who's losing at the combat side of things.

You're using way to many spears. Spears are great to give to lovely melee skill brothers because of their +10% to hit, but when a bro gets to around 55% you want to start giving them real weapons (swords, axes, etc). I think swords still get a +5% and will gently caress up the unarmoured thugs and beasts you come across.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dogs whimper when they are hit/slain and it breaks my heart so I never use them :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

dogstile posted:

For the guy who's losing at the combat side of things.

You're using way to many spears. Spears are great to give to lovely melee skill brothers because of their +10% to hit, but when a bro gets to around 55% you want to start giving them real weapons (swords, axes, etc). I think swords still get a +5% and will gently caress up the unarmoured thugs and beasts you come across.

Nah brah, at least 2-3 spear masters with military spears is where it's at. You beat off( hurrr) everything from greater nachzehrers to zombie hordes with ease. Wearing down stuff like orc warriors and fallen heroes with good spears can make a big difference when you got 20-30 enemies and fatigue is an issue.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Two or three (esp. you find/buy fighting spears at all) isn't bad. Especially if you have some otherwise good bros who you bags&belts/quickhands so they can toss nets and swap shield types, but lack a little on pure accuracy. But having your whole front line spearing means once you end up base to base, it's very hard to kill anything.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Finally took down black monolith. Kited 18 orcs as temperamental reinforcements. I took left flank, they took right flank and everyone was happy.

First fight was 5 archers, 5 shieldsmen and 2 great sword bros I introduced drugs to.

The archer's assignment was to shoot the poo poo out of the necrosavants and provide heavy hitting support once the lines locked. The did poorly at the first (necros were out of sight screaming for some reason) and ok on the second. Shieldsmen shielded while my other two screamed and murdered a dude once per round.

Orcs did a great job, decimating the right flank and drawing 6 of the 8 necros. I have to give it to them, they fought to the last and didnt route. Well, they did route, but those ones got butchered were they stood.

I had to retreat at 14 left, or else i was going to start losing men. Camped a few days, came back with eight two handers and four healed up shieldsman. The remaining mushrooms were given accordingly.

The skeletons only had time to replace up to 16, so I faced two necrosavants, four priests, and 10 ancient dead armed with polearms, half of them broken . Soft underbelly already exposed? Yes please.

That battle was extremely cathartic.

Shoutout to the all-star of that fight, an orc warrior. After everyone else had been killed, that warrior tanked 4 necrosavants, killing 3 of them and maiming the last, for over six rounds.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Greatswords on guys with Berserk are loving hilarious against huge nachzehrer hordes, when ol' Edmund the Bladedancer decapitated five of the drat things in one turn I literally cheered.

On a related note, it's been a ton of fun to take my noble-war veteran company decked out in high-level gear and go slumming it on low-level bandit hunting contracts again. It's not really profitable, I'm bringing in barely enough money to pay my expenses, but effortlessly tearing 20+ bandit mooks to pieces is extremely satisfying.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just saw an orc young pull back from the front line and then recharge the front line. Is this some new behavior or have they always been able to pull of this bullshit?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hunt11 posted:

I just saw an orc young pull back from the front line and then recharge the front line. Is this some new behavior or have they always been able to pull of this bullshit?

They did it to me last year in July!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tias posted:

Nah brah, at least 2-3 spear masters with military spears is where it's at. You beat off( hurrr) everything from greater nachzehrers to zombie hordes with ease. Wearing down stuff like orc warriors and fallen heroes with good spears can make a big difference when you got 20-30 enemies and fatigue is an issue.

He's talking early game though

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Phew. Finally finished a hard campaign. Retired after the third crisis ended.

First crisis wound up being greenskin invasion. Holy poo poo that hosed the world up. The noble house I was working with managed to come out unscathed (The town I was camping around had a temple and a tavern to keep morale high and wounds healing quickly.) But the other two? One survived with a tiny village, the other had it's main citadel and a miserable mountain village left. Everything else got wiped out. Ranged bros, Longaxes, and flails were the stars of the show, plus whoever could throw a net.

Licking wounds after that fiasco, the noble war started. It ended in four days when the house I worked with took the lovely mining village (lol) and that was that. Got to build up clearing out orc camps that had cropped up all over the drat place. Got a good stable group. Ironically, two of my starting bros (shielder and ranged) were still alive. They were pretty pimped out with legendary gear.

Then came the undead crisis. First warning I got was a large bandit vs supply train battle I jumped in on. Slain footmen and bandits getting back up to gnaw on their buddies. Pretty soon it was on. The two hosed over villages I mentioned earlier bit the dust, just vomiting out hordes of weidergangers all over the place. Then the main citadel spelled the end of the other two noble houses. (Was losing pretty badly according to the ambition tracker). Luckily, the house I worked with had a fair few watchtowers and was spread out along the southern coast, so I could jump around easily. I mainly fought on the left side on a peninsula isolated with a large village and fort, and we slowly grinded them down. Every time I'd see a village or town get down to the last resource or so, I'd march over to start fighting whatever I could while keeping local contracts to bring funds in. Wound up losing a fair few bros (But not my two starters) and a lot of them to the damned necrosavants before I wised up and started carrying more nets and pulling back at the start to separate them from the legionaries.

Got the best ending when it was all said and done. Turns out the historian I kept in the back with a longaxe took off with a shitton of scrolls and wrote a lengthy biography about the company, making sure we were immortalized.

And I got a personal room in my keep to swim in all my gold.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

They've always been able to, it happens if they break and then rally( which orcs are better at than humans and goblins, probably b/c of higher resolve stats). The reason we don't always pick up on it is that orcs can rally and still decide to leg it out of the map. I'm not sure what parameters they use to decide if the fight is worth taking, it surprised the hell out of me the first time too!

Drakenel posted:

Phew. Finally finished a hard campaign. Retired after the third crisis ended.

First crisis wound up being greenskin invasion. Holy poo poo that hosed the world up. The noble house I was working with managed to come out unscathed (The town I was camping around had a temple and a tavern to keep morale high and wounds healing quickly.) But the other two? One survived with a tiny village, the other had it's main citadel and a miserable mountain village left. Everything else got wiped out. Ranged bros, Longaxes, and flails were the stars of the show, plus whoever could throw a net.

Licking wounds after that fiasco, the noble war started. It ended in four days when the house I worked with took the lovely mining village (lol) and that was that. Got to build up clearing out orc camps that had cropped up all over the drat place. Got a good stable group. Ironically, two of my starting bros (shielder and ranged) were still alive. They were pretty pimped out with legendary gear.

Then came the undead crisis. First warning I got was a large bandit vs supply train battle I jumped in on. Slain footmen and bandits getting back up to gnaw on their buddies. Pretty soon it was on. The two hosed over villages I mentioned earlier bit the dust, just vomiting out hordes of weidergangers all over the place. Then the main citadel spelled the end of the other two noble houses. (Was losing pretty badly according to the ambition tracker). Luckily, the house I worked with had a fair few watchtowers and was spread out along the southern coast, so I could jump around easily. I mainly fought on the left side on a peninsula isolated with a large village and fort, and we slowly grinded them down. Every time I'd see a village or town get down to the last resource or so, I'd march over to start fighting whatever I could while keeping local contracts to bring funds in. Wound up losing a fair few bros (But not my two starters) and a lot of them to the damned necrosavants before I wised up and started carrying more nets and pulling back at the start to separate them from the legionaries.

Got the best ending when it was all said and done. Turns out the historian I kept in the back with a longaxe took off with a shitton of scrolls and wrote a lengthy biography about the company, making sure we were immortalized.

And I got a personal room in my keep to swim in all my gold.

You're an inspiration! Congratulations

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
all my bros have horrible pun names, send help
And i always see the lindwurm helmet as a big ol' poo poo eating grin.

"eeh he hee he i likes hitting things with this here hammer"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A fairly easy orc-hunting contract for one of the noble houses I fought against in the noble war turned out to be an ambush, which I didn't know could happen. I cleared out the orc camp and was then immediately attacked by a dozen noble-house soldiers and now their house is hostile to me, guess I'm staying away from that part of the map from now on.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I just happened upon an extremely efficient gheist killing build.

I built up a third sergeant and made him a dagger build. Combined with the high resolve, pathfinder, heavy armor, berserk, and the 3 attacks per round, he just tears through gheists. I had him kill four gheists in two rounds effectively securing the southern flank by himself. Then he squared off against a fallen hero and got me some nice armor by puncturing the poo poo out of him.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Dagger Bros always seem immensely cool but I can never make one work for me. For all the time I spend nurturing them I usually end up wishing I had a cleaver duelist or two hander.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think I want to replay this game, can anyone share any spectacular seeds that still work post Lindwurm patch?

Don't necessarily care about starting bros' stats, just want a nice interconnected map with a good range of settlements and available buildings.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Russian Remoulade posted:

Dagger Bros always seem immensely cool but I can never make one work for me. For all the time I spend nurturing them I usually end up wishing I had a cleaver duelist or two hander.

Yea, to be frank there are plenty of situations where he is inappropriate in a fight. I helped defray that a bit by giving him rally, but a cleaver or two hander is going to get a lot more use.

When you want an armored char dead though, he makes sure they are dead.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
:siren:ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED:siren:

:cumpolice:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Give that man some throwing weapons and tell him to picture the enemy as more melons.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Give that man some throwing weapons and tell him to picture the enemy as more melons.

Throwing weapons? With a background like that, after picturing them as melons I'm sure he'd much rather rush into a melee with them, wielding his trusty spear! :v:
(I'm sorry, I'm not helping I know)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Major Isoor posted:

Throwing weapons? With a background like that, after picturing them as melons I'm sure he'd much rather rush into a melee with them, wielding his trusty spear! :v:
(I'm sorry, I'm not helping I know)

In that case, he'd probably want a pike, to be accurate :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thrusting my long elegant weapon into the enemys melon

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a way to trigger ambitions or cheat them in? I'm on day 782 and no more ambitions. I completed most of them (except the noble house ambition) but the repeatable ambitions arent triggering.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Finally got a unique I can make use of!

Also this popped up in a shop at the very start and I was so goddamn mad.

I'm even more mad now that the endgame crisis has kicked off and it's orcs. Really could have used all that armour pen :argh:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I just had my first encounter with necrosancts. Of my 12 brothers, 3 were injured, 3 were knocked out, and 6 died.

What. The. gently caress.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Yeah, that's a problem with starting the game on ironman. If you know what the endgame enemies do, they're not so bad. But if you run in totally blind, they can wipe your band or put you into a death spiral on your first battle. The only exception is the Orc Warlord, who is just an orc warrior with even bigger numbers and the ability to rally.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

IAmThatIs posted:

I just had my first encounter with necrosancts. Of my 12 brothers, 3 were injured, 3 were knocked out, and 6 died.

What. The. gently caress.

They suck. Nets are your friend, as is putting a shield in your back liners' pockets.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

Yeah, that's a problem with starting the game on ironman. If you know what the endgame enemies do, they're not so bad. But if you run in totally blind, they can wipe your band or put you into a death spiral on your first battle. The only exception is the Orc Warlord, who is just an orc warrior with even bigger numbers and the ability to rally.

It isn't just rally though. He can also cause your bros to rout when he starts to yell. Also he can wield the two handed ax making it so that anything unlucky enough to get hit by him will be seriously hurt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah gently caress the 'Savants, if i'm not rolling a super levelled party and their's more than one I just retreat out of that, i'll happily eat the injuries.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Goddamn, I finally did it. Greenskin Invasion got routed. And it only took 117 hours to finally beat a crisis. Granted, a nice chunk of that was before they were in the game, but still.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Stealing this from Seb.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
This game isn't much to look at, but they sure make up for it with the sound effects in a big way. The direwolves are chilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Toadsmash posted:

This game isn't much to look at, but they sure make up for it with the sound effects in a big way. The direwolves are chilling.

I love the sound effects and music even if I'm not so good at this game. I guess I just need to keep plodding on, I just hate losing guys. At what point do you start going after places that pop up on the map? I know someone said a while ago here that they start right away, I've never had much luck taking one and save scumming makes the good drops dissappear it feels like