Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Knights of the Old Republic's combat system is messy as hell. Things happen so quickly that when you get killed it's hard to see just what you did wrong, nor is there really any good way to asses your enemies and how best to fight them. Melee PCs get taken down really easy by ranged guys which is sort of a bad decision when the game's protagonist becomes a Jedi early on- you're expected to keep switching back to blasters even as a Jedi which feels wrong.

The good news is the game will often give you alternatives to straight up big battles. The bad news? Calo Nord. Such a speedbump on the game for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MisterBibs posted:

Prolly said this before, but man, it's really lovely to see an ad for the new Civ game (or Civ expansion? I haven't looked at the franchise in a while), get really excited... only to remember that every one of those tiles can only have one unit on it, which is flat out unacceptable (after all, Yang taught us that if X units can take a city, bring 5X), so I'm never gonna play it no matter how nice it looks.

Death to doom stacks.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Knights of the Old Republic's combat system is messy as hell. Things happen so quickly that when you get killed it's hard to see just what you did wrong, nor is there really any good way to asses your enemies and how best to fight them. Melee PCs get taken down really easy by ranged guys which is sort of a bad decision when the game's protagonist becomes a Jedi early on- you're expected to keep switching back to blasters even as a Jedi which feels wrong.

The good news is the game will often give you alternatives to straight up big battles. The bad news? Calo Nord. Such a speedbump on the game for no good reason.

Calo Nord is a punk but kotor is actually very slow. Its pseudo turn based. Pause and queue up actions then unpause. The game is basically autopilot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For what it's worth the cyclops in subnautica was changed to be less of a miserable piece of poo poo that requires more babysitting than it's worth. The majority of the common enemies (stalkers, bone sharks etc) no longer attack it.

To counterbalance this and make sure it won't ever actually be fun, the devs also made it literally burst into flames if you drive it forward on its high speed setting for ~20 seconds. this would be terrible if it didn't make kickass psychedelic trance music start playing out of nowhere, which is hilarious.

Nuebot posted:

Yeah the stray demon doesn't wield an axe, either. It's just a stick. You can actually see him stomping around down there when you leave your cell in the beginning of the game. Most people just assume he's the Asylum Demon, however.

No excuse for the firesage being dumb though.

I like how in Dark Souls 2 not only was magic scaling absolutely broken for a long time, but only a handful of bosses weren't straight up weak to lightning and out of those bosses only like three were resistant to it. So it wasn't hard at all to get a build that would, literally, one shot most of the bosses in the game. People flipped their poo poo when they toned down the lightning damage and acted like it was the end of the world. Noted bad game player DSP threw a tantrum when he fought one of the few bosses resistant to lightning, and had a small meltdown when he played the DLC and couldn't just win everything instantly.

Lightning spear was overpowered but "one shot" is a massive exaggeration, and the nerf destroyed offensive miracles almost across the board and pretty much ruined faith as a main stat. There was close to zero reason to use offensive miracles after the change, so it didn't so much fix the problem as replace it with a worse one (having a build option that is OP in PvE is a much better problem to have than worse build diversity). It was a terrible change.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Jan 30, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I really wish more survival games would feature fun stuff like that. No Man's Sky would be marginally more fun if I could eat the weird brain slug and get food poisoning from it. I'd probably get mad the like, tenth time I die from making GBS threads but it would be fun.

In Subnautica, the scanner and PDA tells you which fish are edible and which are not. gently caress you, Siri, I'll be the judge of that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

Lightning spear was overpowered but "one shot" is a massive exaggeration, and the nerf destroyed offensive miracles almost across the board and pretty much ruined faith as a main stat. There was close to zero reason to use offensive miracles after the change, so it didn't so much fix the problem as replace it with a worse one (having a build option that is OP in PvE is a much better problem to have than worse build diversity). It was a terrible change.

It genuinely isn't an exaggeration. I one shot a few bosses on my first miracle play through. I can't remember if it was greater lightning spear or sunlight spear that did it. I agree it's better to have an OP build available than an underpowered one but whatever. Last time I played Dark Souls 2, shortly before 3's release, doing a lightning spear build was still viable. Just not as ridiculous.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

Monster Hunter really could cut the hp of its large monsters by a quarter. Or half. Seeing the results screen and it showing it taking us 30 minutes to kill one monster is really disheartening. Especially after realizing the monster didn't drop one specific part and now its going to take another 30 minute endurance match to hope I get the part I wanted.

E: Also the fact that palicos vanish when a third player joins is downright criminal.

What weapon/element are you using against what monsters? A big part of Monster Hunter is knowing the weaknesses of what you're fighting and tailoring your equipment to it, as well as your style of weapon. A very fast, agile monster is going to be a pain in the rear end to take down with a greatsword, for example, doubly so if it's not particularly weak against the element on your weapon (if you have one). What's great about MH is that except for the personal skill slope of having to switch weapon contexts and relearn the moves and such, this isn't a problem to do at all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Digirat posted:

For what it's worth the cyclops in subnautica was changed to be less of a miserable piece of poo poo that requires more babysitting than it's worth. The majority of the common enemies (stalkers, bone sharks etc) no longer attack it.

To counterbalance this and make sure it won't ever actually be fun, the devs also made it literally burst into flames if you drive it forward on its high speed setting for ~20 seconds. this would be terrible if it didn't make kickass psychedelic trance music start playing out of nowhere, which is hilarious.
Huh is that what's happening? I just thought it was a cool slipstream effect. It doesn't seem to do much damage at least

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im pooping! posted:

The reason I do poorly at those kinds of games is I prefer stat bars to be either full or in some cases empty. Many survival games with hunger or thirst stats don't enact a penalty until the bar is close to one extreme so I spend a lot of time topping poo poo off when I should be foraging or whatever. It's hard for me to let go of the concept that full is better than half-full.

sorry i was having a blast from the past, i think i may have helped inspire the thread title actually

*for the record, salted reginald adds 44 food to the meter and i have a locker with 20 of them

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Jan 30, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if it counts as dragging-down or not, but whatever:

At some time during the time I was following the game's development, someone wrote an article online explaining how food/thirst stuff in survival games fundamentally sucked because they didn't operate like real life players understood. They weren't making the ~realism~ argument as such as a "It would be as bit more fun if eating a big meal felt mechanically like you didn't have to eat for a while, instead of just resetting a hunger clock" sort of thing. It brought up better ideas than I could remember, and a Subnautica dev decided to RT and tell everyone that they were going to look into this thing.

Cut to later on, and none of that came out in the Subnautica wash. You're at 10 hunger, you eat a fish that bumps it to 50 hunger, and it'll be at 49 hunger in a second.
Related, the hunger system in Minecraft is one of the worst design choices I've ever seen in a game. It just made the game less fun. On the occasions I play Minecraft, I always play on peaceful not because of the monsters, but because I hate the hunger system so much. It was a better game before they added that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

A meltdown seems excessive. I bet he was hamming it up for the vIeWeRz

The entire weird obsessive hatred of DSP happened entirely because he was an unknown who won a fighting game championship against a bunch of established personalities years and years ago and the people who take video games way too seriously have been bitter about it ever since.

"B-b-but it was the wrong kind of fighting game and look, I pored over dozens of hours of footage to find a few minutes of him looking like an idiot! I'm not owned, I'm not owned :qq:"

LeJackal posted:

Darkest Dungeon syndrome strikes again.

More like every early access and kick-started game ever. Even Broken Age fell apart in the second act because they listened to the adventure game grognards who wanted cathair mustach puzzles to make a return.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Calo Nord is a punk but kotor is actually very slow. Its pseudo turn based. Pause and queue up actions then unpause. The game is basically autopilot.

KOTOR is also older game and it does have balance, relevance and mechanics issues with some of the skills, combined with a level cap that makes the final boss unbeatable with some builds. It does not pull any punches, in good or in bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Related, the hunger system in Minecraft is one of the worst design choices I've ever seen in a game. It just made the game less fun. On the occasions I play Minecraft, I always play on peaceful not because of the monsters, but because I hate the hunger system so much. It was a better game before they added that.

Why do you think so? I mean, I don't think hunger is implemented well in Minecraft but I would say it's because it adds literally zero pressure or choices to the game, it just doesn't have anywhere near the impact on gameplay to make it one of the "worst design decisions ever" - at least in my opinion. Does it change the main gameplay loop in some way that I'm missing, other than just having to chow down on a chicken every five minutes when you're doing a lot of digging?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

KOTOR is also older game and it does have balance, relevance and mechanics issues with some of the skills, combined with a level cap that makes the final boss unbeatable with some builds. It does not pull any punches, in good or in bad.

Always amused me that Handmaiden in KotOR 2 had dialogue about how she wished she could have seen the final battle between Revan and Malak, imagining it was some epic Jedi duel. Shame there was no option to tell her that Revan stuck Malak in place with a glue grenade, then bombarded him with thermal detonators.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

Prolly said this before, but man, it's really lovely to see an ad for the new Civ game (or Civ expansion? I haven't looked at the franchise in a while), get really excited... only to remember that every one of those tiles can only have one unit on it, which is flat out unacceptable (after all, Yang taught us that if X units can take a city, bring 5X), so I'm never gonna play it no matter how nice it looks.

I prefer 1upt, honestly, but that's more because I always found it incredibly annoying to manage the stack of doom.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sunswipe posted:

Always amused me that Handmaiden in KotOR 2 had dialogue about how she wished she could have seen the final battle between Revan and Malak, imagining it was some epic Jedi duel. Shame there was no option to tell her that Revan stuck Malak in place with a glue grenade, then bombarded him with thermal detonators.

Or the part where Revan kept running away from Malak while occasionally throwing his lightsaber at him like a boomerang. Or when he paused the fight to use multiple medpacks.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RBA Starblade posted:

I prefer 1upt, honestly, but that's more because I always found it incredibly annoying to manage the stack of doom.

The thing that bugs me is that 1upt could be really good and a lot more fun that smashing your stack of doom into stuff... but the units need a lot more movement for it to work. In Civ units get 3 movement max, and that's mostly just for mounted units. The majority of units will only get to move 2 tiles in a turn. On top of that, any rough terrain will drop movement even farther, so a lot of the time you can only move your guys one tile per turn. So instead of fun, advanced wars style tactical battles, it's just a tedious, awkward chore of slowly shambling your army to their destination. Plus the AI has even more trouble moving their units than the player does. Doomstacks might be less interactive, but at least the AI can understand how to use them. It's the one thing I was really hoping VI would improve on from V, but sadly from what I've seen it's not any better.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Guy Mann posted:

The entire weird obsessive hatred of DSP happened entirely because he was an unknown who won a fighting game championship against a bunch of established personalities years and years ago and the people who take video games way too seriously have been bitter about it ever since.

"B-b-but it was the wrong kind of fighting game and look, I pored over dozens of hours of footage to find a few minutes of him looking like an idiot! I'm not owned, I'm not owned :qq:"

Are you seriously white-knighting DS fuckin' P, the man so dumb he jacked off on stream without noticing he left the camera on? DarkSyde "not racist!" Phil, who spent 15+ hours going "sucky sucky duck sauce!" every time he punched somebody in Sleeping Dogs?

Also- he beat 2 pro fighting game players at A GAME NONE OF THEM HAD EVER loving PLAYED. He beat them on the ps1 port that adapted the Sega Saturn version of the arcade game he told them they were going to be playing; AND THEN HE NEVER MENTIONED THAT TO ANYBODY ELSE IF HE COULD AVOID IT.
It's like beating a professional poker player at loving checkers and declaring yourself the King of Games to anybody who will listen; he's telling a bullshit version of events to make himself look good.

Phil haters can definitely get pretty over the top but don't act like that dude is not a real loving piece of work, and he gets paid to act like that.

Also; "dozens of hours of footage?" Dude he can't go five seconds without burping into the microphone, calling the main character a retard/bitch depending on gender, and accusing the developer of being a pervert while he tries to look up a girl's skirt in-game, you've clearly never even seen a DSP video.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jan 30, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Why do you think so? I mean, I don't think hunger is implemented well in Minecraft but I would say it's because it adds literally zero pressure or choices to the game, it just doesn't have anywhere near the impact on gameplay to make it one of the "worst design decisions ever" - at least in my opinion. Does it change the main gameplay loop in some way that I'm missing, other than just having to chow down on a chicken every five minutes when you're doing a lot of digging?
It wouldn't be so bad except they also changed animal spawning, so animals don't just spawn wherever there's grass and sunlight. Instead the player has to either build a farm - because you can't breed animals without a wheat source - or constantly hunt down new food sources.

It just gets in the way of the basic gameplay, which encourages players to keep going because they're always just a step away from a new discovery or completing their own projects. Basically it takes the player out of self-directed gameplay for unnecessary busywork. Of course the whole game is busywork, but other than hunger players get to decide what theirs will be.

It's neither mining nor crafting, it just prevents you from doing either.

Edit: It doesn't even add any survival pressure to the start of the game because there already was one: get a light source and find someplace to dig in before night falls. Food already provided a useful bonus in the beta, it was your primary source of healing. If you wanted to explore you needed food, but you didn't die if you got busy with something else.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

When I gave Minecraft a shot, I didn't mind the hunger meter, because I liked farming in between mining and building up my house. However, what killed the game for me was being unable to stop monster spawning without covering my property in torches (which occasionally didn't work anyway), and my livestock constantly clipping through walls, and poo poo generally spawning wrong when I reloaded the game. Also, the equipment durability added nothing but tedium. I'm aware I can turn all of that off, but then it would make the game so easy it becomes boring. Also the knockback from a lot of the enemies is just absurd, and the weapons all feel like garbage.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Minecraft is pretty cool in the "electronic toy where you make your own fun" sort of way, but is incredibly obnoxious as an actual game. Luckily, there have been enough copycats that do that part better.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

It genuinely isn't an exaggeration. I one shot a few bosses on my first miracle play through. I can't remember if it was greater lightning spear or sunlight spear that did it. I agree it's better to have an OP build available than an underpowered one but whatever. Last time I played Dark Souls 2, shortly before 3's release, doing a lightning spear build was still viable. Just not as ridiculous.

The issue with lightning spear et al now is just how few casts you get. Sorcery and Pyromancy offensive spells get 10-20 casts per rest, while lightning gets 2 or 3, which means you can only really use them for occasional supplemental damage.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I finished Prey over a week. During my first couple days of playing, I thought about writing a post about how insanely badly everything I saw of the game before release showcased all of the games strengths (partly because I was only very casually interested anyways), but after playing through it... Well, I might as well first write up pretty much my thoughts that I was going to write back then.

So the first things I saw about it were "oh, you're a guy on a boring space station shooting black goo monsters. pass!". After that, it was a video that was supposed to showcase the different ways to play, which I think I just absent mindedly skipped into the middle of the video and a guy was going like "You can be the guy that fixes up turrets and carries them around!" and I was, again, like "wow that sure seems fun. A single player Torbjorn simulator" and instantly shut the video off. From there on I just saw screens of the boring goo guys and so on until I played the PS4 demo, which you would think would finally get me on board if anything right? But poo poo, insane input lag paired with... the lovely goo monsters, and slowly turning around in a room hitting my wrench at the multiple mimics swarming me, at which point I died because it was absolutely impossible to actually hit anything. Woof, not touching that game ever again!

Fast forward some months, plenty of excellent goon recommendations and tales of the input lag having been fixed, plus the game on a serious discount... poo poo, why not I guess. Maybe I was super wrong somehow.

For my first eight hours or so? Holy poo poo, this game is loving amazing! Environments are full of different ways to approach situations, the weapons seem fun - especially the gloo gun which I used to bypass some stuff early on by creating DIY stairs, the writing is really good and the mystery of everything happening kept me glued to the game, and even the horribly boring enemy designs were actually ok once you were kind of afraid of them due to low resources and them being legit dangerous as hell. I'm an idiot for not getting on this sooner!

Aaaand then fast forward again to the last 6 hours on my 23 hour playthrough. Well they had introduced the Cystoids, an extremely frustrating environmental hazard enemy that seemed like a bad decision to include on every level. At least they seemed rare at first, but turned out to not be nearly as rare as they should have been. Then the the game world being populated with tougher and tougher enemies, as well as larger and larger numbers, to the point where it felt like the amount of resources I used on killing them felt absolutely not worth the resources I got from their corpses, so I started preferring to run from everything, and boy did that ruin both the pacing and tension completely. On my last hours of play, seeing Nightmare, the game's kind of a Nemesis equivalent (an unstoppable killing machine hell bent on destroying you), only got me to sigh in relief because holy poo poo, any enemy that I can just walk up to and shoot to death. How satisfying! And as you can imagine, that felt completely wrong in every sense. So overall, now the game had become completely not at all fun to play. But man look at all these interesting side quests! But now, look at the load times on the PS4 version! A minute of running through an area for a three minute loading screen, only to repeat again like... five times per sidequest? Yup, those people and their problems can go gently caress themselves, I just want to get this over with.

And now, the ending of the game. I had heard it was bad, and I suspected what was going to happen around halfway through. I wish I had been wrong, because the only thing that could have saved the experience at this point was an extremely satisfying final beat. Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I'm sure people have talked it to death so I'm not going to even try myself, just let me say that if you heard the ending was disappointing? Terrible? A wet fart of sorts? Something that kind of shits on everything you did and experienced? Well it's all true, pretty much.

Overall I'd say that was a mindblowingly good eight hours, and pretty good mid game with an insufferable last third. I'd say it's worth ten bucks nonetheless at least, but it is also the most frustrating down hill slide quality wise that I maybe have ever seen?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Twitch posted:

When I gave Minecraft a shot, I didn't mind the hunger meter, because I liked farming in between mining and building up my house. However, what killed the game for me was being unable to stop monster spawning without covering my property in torches (which occasionally didn't work anyway), and my livestock constantly clipping through walls, and poo poo generally spawning wrong when I reloaded the game. Also, the equipment durability added nothing but tedium. I'm aware I can turn all of that off, but then it would make the game so easy it becomes boring. Also the knockback from a lot of the enemies is just absurd, and the weapons all feel like garbage.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Minecraft is pretty cool in the "electronic toy where you make your own fun" sort of way, but is incredibly obnoxious as an actual game. Luckily, there have been enough copycats that do that part better.
Oh yeah, it's programmed like poo poo, and nobody has any incentive to make it better. What's more disappointing is the lack of good Minecraft-likes all these years later.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh yeah, it's programmed like poo poo, and nobody has any incentive to make it better. What's more disappointing is the lack of good Minecraft-likes all these years later.

Terraria is okay, if that's close enough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I keep getting to the start of hard mode in Terraria and I can't be arsed building farms and arenas and all that poo poo. I've done it like three times now.

Subnautica good though

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My complaint about Monster Hunter World is that all the quality of life improvements make going back to the previous titles excruciating. Hot Drinks, Cold Drinks, Paintballs, Whetstones, taking 5 seconds to gather something.

There's alot of painful nonsense in the previous titles that didn't add any actual gameplay, but were infruriating if you forgot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundercracker posted:

My complaint about Monster Hunter World is that all the quality of life improvements make going back to the previous titles excruciating. Hot Drinks, Cold Drinks, Paintballs, Whetstones, taking 5 seconds to gather something.

There's alot of painful nonsense in the previous titles that didn't add any actual gameplay, but were infruriating if you forgot.

It's my first Monster Hunter and lmao that this is the less janky version. The game's good in spite of a lot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Thundercracker posted:

As a huge fan of the series, I can't imagine going back to play any of them after World. World is just so many steps forward that it's insane if every MH game from here on doesn't build on its improvements.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Wildlands has a bunch of problems, but chief is the lack of "pet" button. Why ambush sicarios and contribute to the destabilisation of the region when you could set fire to warehouses and pet camelids?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

This was technically possible, but it required sunlight spear which is the ultimate miracle, requiring you to grind the sunlight covenant, 55 faith (I believe this is even over the softcap), 2 attunement slots, only 2 casts unless you had a ton of attunement, and a boss that was already weak to lightning such as the aldia's keep drake. It was overboard but it was not like you would buy lightning spear with 22 faith and go around instakilling every boss by pressing R1 once, although that spell was the easiest way to win due to having high damage and I believe 10 base casts.

Now base lightning spear has 2 base casts and barely even justifies the length of time it takes to cast with its nerfed damage on most enemies. Lightning spear is absolutely not viable anymore because using it anywhere near as much as sorcery, pyromancy or hexes requires chugging more herbs than you can realistically sustain. Sunlight spear remains one of the only offensive miracles worth casting except it's not something you can really use except as a bit of a boost against a boss or one tough enemy due to its base 2 casts, so it really doesn't justify the requirements when the rest of faith's offerings are so bad now. Faith was nerfed into the ground and they never even partially undid it, so dark souls 2's build diversity is a lot worse than it was at launch.

This also happened at the same time the DLCs launched, where every enemy has enormous resistance to nearly all spells (another big thing dragging dark souls 2 down), and with these being the hardest content in the game, it really felt like From just got terrified of magic users being able to do anything worthwhile in challenging content anymore after they let faith be too powerful once

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

smuh posted:

Aaaand then fast forward again to the last 6 hours on my 23 hour playthrough. Well they had introduced the Cystoids, an extremely frustrating environmental hazard enemy that seemed like a bad decision to include on every level. At least they seemed rare at first, but turned out to not be nearly as rare as they should have been.

Cystoids are very easy to deal with if you think outside the box.

Youre not supposed to be shooting them with guns all the time. The Gloo gun and nerf gun both get the main thing to blow up, and gives the little dudes it spawns something to chase so they kill themselves on it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
They are boring enemies after the first few times you see them though. And they remain frustrating because you gotta spam em with the rear end gloo gun (cool concept, poo poo as an actual weapon) or throw poo poo at them to blow them up and they don't always co-operate. A number of times I was sat floating in zero g trying to blow up the last 2-3 of the fuckers so I could move on. They're not fun. None of the enemies in Prey are fun, no matter how easy their gimmicks are.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Don't forget that even if, EVEN IF, all those things are just "performance pieces", the guy went and moved across state, kept a condo in his previous state, and bought a 4 bedroom house in a gated community for him and his at the time girlfriend. They broke up, so the guy now expects this supposed "performance art" of being bad at video games to pay for a condo, a 4 bedroom house, a BMW, and his extravagant meals that he tweets about.

Also had to answer to the IRS because he insists that his twitch and youtube revenue is not considered a business and he shouldn't have to pay taxes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main issue with DSP isn't being bad at video games- I'M bad at video games- but that he's a very poor sport. The videos I see of him are all of him calling anyone who beats him a motherfucking scrub who uses cheap online tactics because the game's online sucks, or when he's doing a single player game he'll find some excuse for why he's not doing better.

There are definitely times when the hate-community seems just a bit excessive- it's not like he's a guy with power or influence or anything, so it's the ultimate form of punching down- but the guy does not make it easy for himself.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't play it much buy Minecraft in VR is really pretty amazing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Maxwell Lord posted:

The main issue with DSP isn't being bad at video games- I'M bad at video games- but that he's a very poor sport. The videos I see of him are all of him calling anyone who beats him a motherfucking scrub who uses cheap online tactics because the game's online sucks, or when he's doing a single player game he'll find some excuse for why he's not doing better.

There are definitely times when the hate-community seems just a bit excessive- it's not like he's a guy with power or influence or anything, so it's the ultimate form of punching down- but the guy does not make it easy for himself.

If he was calm and nice, he would not get the views. That's pretty sad, but true.

Maybe I could start a channel "The Polite Bad at Gamer" and see how that goes.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Aleph Null posted:

If he was calm and nice, he would not get the views. That's pretty sad, but true.

Maybe I could start a channel "The Polite Bad at Gamer" and see how that goes.

Yo real talk Mr. Bean was basically "Nice Enough Guy Is Bad At Stuff", as was Some Mothers Do Have 'Em, so there's probably a market for it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that in the Bean movie he actually had something fairly interesting to say about the Whistler's Mother painting - put in a fittingly avant-garde way to be funny, but the idea that Whistler's love for his mother kept him going painting a model who is not particularly attractive a model is a valid one. :3:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You guys are way too invested in following this dsp person, seems a bit unhealthy imo

I have no idea who he is, I just know that when a YouTuber or streamer is having a 'meltdown' of any kind it's absolutely a performance and you dolts are falling for it every time

Oh wait I might have read a passing post about him in the BWM thread if he's the gamer bro who evaded taxes but yeah lol who gives a poo poo

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Mr Bean is not even close to a nice person. I'll give you some mothers do have em though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only video worth watching about DSP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7wLuuDiHA

I know the Witcher 3 excels in its presentation, but some game-elements always feel off. You can scour the land for treasure and side-quests for hours on end, but since this isn't the main quest your XP bar will barely budge half an inch. Also, having played Subnautica which had a simple-but-effective crafting system where every item sees a use, this game has no excuse for loading you with hundreds of mostly useless junk-items seeing as its crafting system is more of a formality.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jan 31, 2018