Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

...Is this what I sound like a lot of the time when I full-sperg nitpick about things? "They gave this guy powers...WATCHMEN RUINED 5EVER"

I mean, I don't think this ruins Watchmen, but if he does have superpowers (which he appears to?) it definitely indicates that Geoff Johns had an extremely limited understanding of the text.

If anything I think you might be overreacting to my statement here a little. Doomsday Clock bad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does he have powers? There was enough mad science happening that I wouldn't say invisible weapons were an impossibility.

Considering we see a gleam on it when the frames perspective changes angles, I'd say it's not invisible, just very clearly transparent. This is likely why they made such a big deal about getting his weapons previously. Because he actually had weapons to get.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

...Is this what I sound like a lot of the time when I full-sperg nitpick about things? "They gave this guy powers...WATCHMEN RUINED 5EVER"

Yes. I'm sorry.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

You can always record yourself reading your comments and see how it sounds*

*don't do this! No-one should ever do this

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Android Blues posted:

I literally can't believe they had the Comedian get resurrected so he could quip and gurn and fight Ozymandias. This is bottom grade garbage.

Also, it was kind of a big deal in Watchmen that the only person in the world with actual superpowers was Dr. Manhattan. Why does the Mime, a random petty criminal, have powers? Did Geoff Johns read Watchmen?

He watched the movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

You can always record yourself reading your comments and see how it sounds*

*don't do this! No-one should ever do this

Alternatively do this and post it on youtube

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. I'm sorry.

Your new avatar frightens me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Your new avatar frightens me.

I made someone angry in D&D. :keke:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm enjoying Doomsday Clock well enough. Gary Frank is an amazing artist, and I'm invested in The Mime and Marionette. What Batman did to Rorschach was ice cold.

Everyone is calling a new JSA coming out of this book, but I'm going add in the Legion of Super Heroes. I think Saturn Girl will be coming into play in Arkham.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
So what, Batman just smuggled him in and left him there? Surely the next morning an orderly will come and see a stranger in a costume hanging out, realize there's no record of such a person ever being admitted, and like... let them out? I know I harp on a lot about representation and ableism in comics but god, has any Batman writer ever researched what mental hospitals are actually like? And even if we're willing to concede that Arkham Asylum is a heightened, gothic nightmare version of such a place, come on. Batman being able to just drop people in and have it stick-- especially in a story about nobody liking or trusting Batman-- is just silly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty sure they’d know he belonged there pretty quick. Batman could have even told them he was coming, and faking a break in was the safest way to get Rorschach in there.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

There were also actual psychics, even if their powers seemed more "men who stare at goats" than "Marvel Girl."

Dollar Bill was the brain they used as a basis for making the psychic squid, I think? And Ozymandias referred to him off handedly as a high potential psychic brain or something, indicating there were others. I read the Mime's gun as being super tech. Hence why he needed to get it when they left the jail

As I've said earlier in this thread the Comedian is the only thing I really haven't liked about Doomsday. The rest is okay with some bits I really liked and some I was lukewarm on. Except the art, which has been consistently great. So I guess even though I don't mind it it's more than fair to regard it as tending towards a failure to integrate Watchmen, given the sanctity of that story...

I REALLY hate bringing back the Comedian.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of Titans and TT, they're getting retooled with No Justice

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/957461170943864832

This just means that the event will mix up their teams even if they're not really included.

I imagine they might be trying to set up teams that look closer to the Titans show that's coming out soon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Doomsday Clock is ultimately about how Geoff Johns hates Alan Moore for publicly making GBS threads on him in the past. Johns is getting revenge by using Watchmen characters in a mega event, something Moore hates, and cashing post original release Watchmen related checks, something Moore also hates.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neurosis posted:

Dollar Bill was the brain they used as a basis for making the psychic squid, I think?
I dont remember that about Bill. I thought it was some Uri Geller gently caress whose head went missing?

Doomsday Clock jumped the shark when Ozymandius uses the detonation of atomic bombs to travel to DC World.

Like, that was a thing right?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The spell Moore is cooking up with a lock of hair is going to make Johns' head explode like that magician in the first issue of Sandman

If Alan is even aware Doomsday Clock exists

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

I dont remember that about Bill. I thought it was some Uri Geller gently caress whose head went missing?

Doomsday Clock jumped the shark when Ozymandius uses the detonation of atomic bombs to travel to DC World.

Like, that was a thing right?

Watchmen Wiki says it was some guy named Robert Deschaines, my memory is waaaayy off. I guess I just wanted it to be so because the only other hero we hear about with powers dying in such a stupid and embarrassing way would have added to the pathos

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art is definitely gorgeous, but for the most part, the writing is this super thin imitation of the outer layer of Watchmen's style. It feels more interested in throwing together toys from the toybox and trading on the strength of the original story than in trying to establish any bona fides of its own. We're meant to think it's cool that Ozymandias and Rorschach are meeting Lex Luthor and Batman, but we're meant to think that solely on the basis of what happened in the actual good story that came before this. In a vacuum, the characters are very generic.

Rorschach in particular is a neat bit of cargo cult writing. A new character has taken up the Rorschach mantle and certain of his surface level affectations, and the reason this is happening is entirely so that Doomsday Clock can technically have Rorschach in it. There's nothing to this character beyond the fascia, and the role he serves in the story is just, "be Rorschach, people like Rorschach".

I liked the bit with the noir movie and the old folks' home in the most recent issue, I guess. That seemed like an attempt to penetrate a bit beyond the facile surface level resemblance to Watchmen the book has been cultivating so far.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Android Blues posted:

I liked the bit with the noir movie and the old folks' home in the most recent issue, I guess. That seemed like an attempt to penetrate a bit beyond the facile surface level resemblance to Watchmen the book has been cultivating so far.

Struck me as just being the 'Pirate Comic' bit.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure they’d know he belonged there pretty quick. Batman could have even told them he was coming, and faking a break in was the safest way to get Rorschach in there.

"Batman says you're one of Mad Hatter's victims, but all you have to do is take off that hat and we'll let you out."
"No."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The worst condemnation of D.Clock is that we're three issues into this poo poo and the only things we're really interested in plot wise are...

uh...

hrm... I guess trying to find Doc Manhattan so he can set things right somehow? Maybe Mime and Marionette's kid, but they would have gotten atom blasted in Watchworld so gently caress that I guess.

Everything else is a bunch of sidewinking bullshit setting up the mystery of the mystery you don't see yet. like The Supermen Theory.

And even that's a ripoff of Supreme Power, to an extent.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Doomsday Clock is ultimately about how Geoff Johns hates Alan Moore for publicly making GBS threads on him in the past. Johns is getting revenge by using Watchmen characters in a mega event, something Moore hates, and cashing post original release Watchmen related checks, something Moore also hates.

Seriously?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Unkempt posted:

Struck me as just being the 'Pirate Comic' bit.

Lol yeah same. "Moore did this so I have to"

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Archyduke posted:

So what, Batman just smuggled him in and left him there? Surely the next morning an orderly will come and see a stranger in a costume hanging out, realize there's no record of such a person ever being admitted, and like... let them out? I know I harp on a lot about representation and ableism in comics but god, has any Batman writer ever researched what mental hospitals are actually like? And even if we're willing to concede that Arkham Asylum is a heightened, gothic nightmare version of such a place, come on. Batman being able to just drop people in and have it stick-- especially in a story about nobody liking or trusting Batman-- is just silly.

It hasn't even been a day, right?

Besides, given Arkham residents, there's probably enough bureaucracy so that if someone is in a cell that's supposed to be empty, and doesn't look like someone who's supposed to be there, 'Letting them out,' is probably a long process in itself. Could be Jane Doe, Clayface, or the Joker.

Plus it's not like 'Now Rorschach is never going to be seen again in the Watchmen comic as he's locked in Arkham for the rest of his life.' I have as little faith in Johns as possible and I still figure he'll be out in the next issue.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Seriously?

http://comicsalliance.com/alan-moore-puts-on-red-lantern-ring-takes-a-potshot-at-blackes/

Moore ripped into Johns and DC in an interview because Blackest Night is based on one of the Green Lantern story threads he created, along with Sodam Yat being the greatest Green Lantern ever. Blackest Night also borrows somewhat from Twilight of the Superheroes, which has been cannibalized and strip mined since it was originally pitched.

It's probably just Johns going to a well that's practically run dry at this point when it comes to mega events but there's always been that tension between the two. They also know that Moore won't actually cash the checks they send to him too, which I think he's still sticking to since the Watchmen movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

http://comicsalliance.com/alan-moore-puts-on-red-lantern-ring-takes-a-potshot-at-blackes/

Moore ripped into Johns and DC in an interview because Blackest Night is based on one of the Green Lantern story threads he created, along with Sodam Yat being the greatest Green Lantern ever. Blackest Night also borrows somewhat from Twilight of the Superheroes, which has been cannibalized and strip mined since it was originally pitched.

It's probably just Johns going to a well that's practically run dry at this point when it comes to mega events but there's always been that tension between the two. They also know that Moore won't actually cash the checks they send to him too, which I think he's still sticking to since the Watchmen movie.

I've been saying this for a long time but I get endlessly mocked for it.

Also Jason Aaron went the gently caress off on Moore.

https://www.cbr.com/240180-2/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Action Comics #1000 and the 80 Years of Superman hardcover are finally clarified as completely different things.
The new stuff (other than a five page story from Paul Levitz/Neal Adams in the hardcover) will all be in the $8, 80 page floppy.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/30/action-comics-1000-changes-name/

quote:

ACTION COMICS #1000
(W) Scott Snyder, Marv Wolfman, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Richard Donner, Tom King, Paul Dini, Brad Meltzer, Brian Michael Bendis (A) Doug Mahnke, Curt Swan, Butch Guice, Frank Quitely, Olivier Coipel, Tim Sale, Clay Mann, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Jim Lee

Celebrate 1000 issues of ACTION COMICS with an all-star lineup of top talent as they pay tribute to the comic that started it all! From today’s explosive action to a previously unpublished tale illustrated by the legendary Curt Swan to the Man of Tomorrow’s future — this very special, oversized issue presents the best of the best in Superman stories!

Contributors to this once-in-a-lifetime issue include legendary Superman movie director Richard Donner and New York Times best-selling writer Geoff Johns, with art by Olivier Coipel. Other contributing creative teams will include Paul Dini with Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez; Tom King with Clay Mann and Jordie Bellaire; Brad Meltzer with John Cassaday and Laura Martin; Louise Simonson with Jerry Ordway; Scott Snyder with Tim Sale, and more to be announced.

FEATURING ALL-NEW ART AND STORIES BY:
• BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
• JOHN CASSADAY
• OLIVIER COIPEL
• PAUL DINI
• JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ
• PATRICK GLEASON
• BUTCH GUICE
• GEOFF JOHNS
• DAN JURGENS
• TOM KING
• JIM LEE
• CLAY MANN
• BRAD MELTZER
• JERRY ORDWAY
• TIM SALE
• LOUISE SIMONSON
• SCOTT SNYDER
• CURT SWAN
• PETER J. TOMASI
• MARV WOLFMAN
…AND MORE!
DECADES-SPANNING OPEN-TO-ORDER VARIANT COVERS BY:
• STEVE RUDE (1930s)
• MICHAEL CHO (1940s)
• DAVE GIBBONS (1950s)
• MICHAEL ALLRED (1960s)
• JIM STERANKO (1970s)
• JOSHUA MIDDLETON (1980s)
• DAN JURGENS (1990s)
• LEE BERMEJO (2000s)
…PLUS A BLANK VARIANT COVER!

ACTION COMICS #1000 is an 80-page, Prestige Format comic with a cover price of $7.99 US. It solicits in the February Previews with an on-sale date of April 18.

quote:

ACTION COMICS: 80 YEARS OF SUPERMAN is an extraordinary party as we revisit stories from across the decades, featuring key character debuts, essays and more in a collection curated by Paul Levitz!

Highlights of this collection include:

* A new cover by legendary artist and DC Publisher Jim Lee

* A never before unpublished twelve-page Golden Age Superman story believed to have been written by Jerry Siegel with art by the Joe Shuster Studio

* Text pieces including: an editor’s note by Paul Levitz, a tribute to ACTION COMICS by Laura Siegel Larson (daughter of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel), an introduction by Jules Feiffer, plus essays by Tom DeHaven (“It’s Superman!”), David Hadju (“The Ten-Cent Plague”), Larry Tye (“Superman: The High-Flying History of America’s Most Enduring Hero”) and Gene Luen Yang (SUPERMAN, NEW SUPER-MAN and the National Book Award finalist “American Born Chinese”)!

* The new five-page story “The Game,” written by Paul Levitz with art by Neal Adams

The Superman stories from this collection include:

“The Coming of Superman,” from ACTION COMICS #1, written by Jerry Siegel with art by Joe Shuster

“Revolution in San Monte,” from from ACTION COMICS #2, written by Jerry Siegel with art by Joe Shuster

“The Terrible Toyman!” from ACTION COMICS #64, written by Don Cameron with art by Ed Dobrotka and George Roussos, featuring the debut of Toyman

“The Super-Key to Fort Superman,” from ACTION COMICS #241, written by Jerry Coleman with art by Wayne Boring and Stan Kaye, featuring the first appearance of the Fortress of Solitude

“The Super-Duel in Space,” from ACTION COMICS #242, written by Otto Binder with art by Al Plastino, featuring the debut of Brainiac

“The Supergirl from Krypton!” from ACTION COMICS #252, written by Otto Binder with art by Al Plastino, featuring the debut of Supergirl

“The World’s Greatest Heroine!” from ACTION COMICS #262, written by Jerry Siegel with art by Jim Mooney

“The Superman Super-Spectacular!” from ACTION COMICS #309, written by Edmond Hamilton with art by Curt Swan and George Klein, featuring an appearance by President John F. Kennedy

“Superman Takes a Wife,” from ACTION COMICS #484, written by Cary Bates with art by Curt Swan and Joe Giella

“If Superman Didn’t Exist…” from ACTION COMICS #554, written by Marv Wolfman with art by Gil Kane

“Squatter,” from ACTION COMICS #584, written by John Byrne with art by Byrne and Dick Giordano

“Ma Kent’s Photo Album,” from ACTION COMICS #655, written by Roger Stern with art by Kerry Gammill and Dennis Janke

“Secrets in the Night,” from ACTION COMICS #662, written by Roger Stern with art by Bob McLeod

“A Hero’s Journey,” from ACTION COMICS #800, written by Joe Kelly with art by Pasqual Ferry, Duncan Rouleau, Lee Bermejo and others

“The Boy Who Stole Superman’s Cape,” from ACTION COMICS #0, written by Grant Morrison with art by Ben Oliver

Other key ACTION COMICS stories in this title include:

“The Mystery of the Freight Train Robberies,” from ACTION COMICS #1, written by Fred Guardineer with art by Guardineer, featuring the debut of Zatara

“The Origin of the Vigilante,” from ACTION COMICS #42, written by Mort Weisinger with art by Mort Meskin, featuring the debut of the Vigilante

“The Assassin-Express Contract!” from ACTION COMICS #419, written by Len Wein with art by Carmine Infantino and Dick Giordano, featuring the debut of the Human Target

ACTION COMICS: 80 YEARS OF SUPERMAN HC (DEC170241) is a 384-page title. It has a new Final Order Cutoff of February 5 and an on-sale date of April 11.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'm well aware of the Blackest Night thing you're talking about I just think it's ridiculous to think this whole story is birthed from Geoff Johns fuming in a corner about how mean old Alan Moore dissed his comic so now he's going to purposefully ruin Watchmen. Look, call Doomsday Clock or Blackest Night or whatever other story based on a Moore work lovely if you want, but to insinuate that this is all some hate-fueled gently caress You directed at Moore is silly. If you're out to get your tinfoil hat conspiracy theory on, then at worst Doomsday Clock is entirely editorially mandated because DC wanted to fold Watchmen into the DCU and Johns is just the hatchet man put on the task. Much more likely though, is that Johns thinks Watchmen is cool and wanted to write poo poo like Batman meets Rorschach. Maybe I'm too idealistic though by thinking that writers write stories they like.

Besides, if he really did hate Alan Moore, Doomsday Clock is way too subtle. Comic writers don't typically deal in subtlety, case in point that Aaron article Rhyno posted, or Grant Morrison really blatantly having Moore be a villain in Final Crisis.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 31, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Johns entire (acclaimed) green lantern run is based upon a throw away story Moore wrote. Lol at old man yelling at clouds.

Did anyone bitch about morrison ripping off watchman when he wrote pax americana?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was it ever made public why Moore and Morrison hate each other? I can't imagine it's because one of them did something really horrible, because a good number of other British writers are friendly with both of them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Was it ever made public why Moore and Morrison hate each other? I can't imagine it's because one of them did something really horrible, because a good number of other British writers are friendly with both of them.

Dang, now I want to know if Gaiman has any beef with anyone

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Morrison, as a younger writer, wanted to get some cred and publicity and decided that the best way to do that would be to attack Moore's work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Dang, now I want to know if Gaiman has any beef with anyone

Todd McFarland.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Morrison, as a younger writer, wanted to get some cred and publicity and decided that the best way to do that would be to attack Moore's work.

On top of that, I think Morrison has this resentment of being treated as a "follower" of Moore and is always quick to remind people that he had work published first (in some obscure Scottish fanzine) even though Moore achieved recognition as a working writer before him.

I remember reading one Morrison interview in which he insinuated that Moore intervened with Dez Skinn or whoever it was to deprive him of the chance to write Miracleman after Moore left the book: he said he was invited to pitch a story, then Moore heard about it and convinced Skinn to withdraw the invitation because he didn't want Morrison to work on Miracleman. This doesn't seem entirely likely to me because I'm fairly sure Moore had already recommended Gaiman as his replacement before he stopped writing stories for Warrior.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

I'm well aware of the Blackest Night thing you're talking about I just think it's ridiculous to think this whole story is birthed from Geoff Johns fuming in a corner about how mean old Alan Moore dissed his comic so now he's going to purposefully ruin Watchmen. Look, call Doomsday Clock or Blackest Night or whatever other story based on a Moore work lovely if you want, but to insinuate that this is all some hate-fueled gently caress You directed at Moore is silly. If you're out to get your tinfoil hat conspiracy theory on, then at worst Doomsday Clock is entirely editorially mandated because DC wanted to fold Watchmen into the DCU and Johns is just the hatchet man put on the task. Much more likely though, is that Johns thinks Watchmen is cool and wanted to write poo poo like Batman meets Rorschach. Maybe I'm too idealistic though by thinking that writers write stories they like.

Besides, if he really did hate Alan Moore, Doomsday Clock is way too subtle. Comic writers don't typically deal in subtlety, case in point that Aaron article Rhyno posted, or Grant Morrison really blatantly having Moore be a villain in Final Crisis.

It's a joke. I think it's likely the second part I posted about it just being Johns reaching out for something that they can mine for content in an environment that's already over-saturated with mega events. They also probably don't have to actually pay Moore, which is something DC editorial has always been conscious of in the past. That sounds super petty but DC has a history with that type of thing.

As a work, Doomsday Clock kind of misses the point of Watchmen but you can't really tie it into other stuff as it was. I don't think it really shits on Moore or his legacy either. It's not terrible, or great, but no one is going to be talking about it in the future because these events have lost all meaning due to Marvel and DC pumping out so many in the last decade. I would have honestly preferred it being the Watchmen knock off from Multiversity since this is all just building off, "Hey, remember Watchmen? Well they're back and in the DCU! Go watch the soon to be produced HBO series!"

Moore Chat
Moore from what I've understood is just not a very pleasant person and is very pretentious, which causes him to lash out at fellow writers or be very condescending. He doesn't really seem to care about being "professional" either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I really enjoyed Living Hell.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well some serious poo poo just sprung up from that Flash Annual.

And now we wait 4 months to follow up on it!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well some serious poo poo just sprung up from that Flash Annual.

And now we wait 4 months to follow up on it!

Looked up spoilers and this is all good.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I really liked Silencer (they didn't get Breach's costume right but it might be a different dude), but they're going to need some more visually striking enemies if they're going to keep going through them so fast.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I missed some Flash stuff and Thawne is dead, again?