Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen is very good at what it does. Be a fun game, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I would suggest that Star Citizen is actually very bad at what it does, which is take money from nerds. If they had kept costs down they could release a barebones MVP once the money stops coming in and run off with a profit of $150m. Instead they're burning all the money on development that everyone knows is going nowhere. idgi

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Enchanted Hat posted:

I would suggest that Star Citizen is actually very bad at what it does, which is take money from nerds. If they had kept costs down they could release a barebones MVP....
No they couldn't though.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Aramoro posted:

But...but my fidelity?

I think what I'm more curious about, with Death of a Spaceman etc is that if you log out in a spaceship and then it gets stolen and broken down into scrap. Does that kill you? Or do you wake up in your wank pod like nothing ever happened.

I'm beginning to think CIG have not thought this through.

They haven't.......

Just like 80% of their planned features, they are still just ideas floating in and out of Chris's brainpan.

I wasn't there for Elite Dangerous's early day because I was laser focused on Star Citizen, but from my understanding and from them putting out the foundation of a game and it's mechanics, I believe they said "Hey here is the game we are going to make." and pushed towards it.

Chris & Co on the other hand are like "Oh man, this concept is really cool so it's going to be like this!' and then "Oh this other mechanic is really cool, so its going to be like this!" and they just keep spitting out "really cool ideas" to every person who asks a question, and eventually you have this loving mountain of concepts and ideas that completely clash and will not work together........but Chris has been on "the record" as saying "We are totally doing this" about a dozen times already. So when they finally get to that point (assuming they ever do) that implementing core mechanics comes due, everyone is going to be really pissed when they start realizing how much of "The Promise" isn't going to work, or that THEIR version of Star Citizen they were pitched by CIG isn't going to happen. It's going to be awesome.

I honestly sort of hope CIG manages to stay afloat and release Star Citizen just so I can see the out rage from all the different kinds of backers when the dream palace comes crumbling down.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbstractNapper posted:

No they couldn't though.
FPS = a reskinned Crysis multiplayer. Done.

The space battle part was never going to happen at any kind of reasonable scale though, so you're right.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FailureToReport posted:

They haven't.......

Just like 80% of their planned features, they are still just ideas floating in and out of Chris's brainpan.

I wasn't there for Elite Dangerous's early day because I was laser focused on Star Citizen, but from my understanding and from them putting out the foundation of a game and it's mechanics, I believe they said "Hey here is the game we are going to make." and pushed towards it.

Chris & Co on the other hand are like "Oh man, this concept is really cool so it's going to be like this!' and then "Oh this other mechanic is really cool, so its going to be like this!" and they just keep spitting out "really cool ideas" to every person who asks a question, and eventually you have this loving mountain of concepts and ideas that completely clash and will not work together........but Chris has been on "the record" as saying "We are totally doing this" about a dozen times already. So when they finally get to that point (assuming they ever do) that implementing core mechanics comes due, everyone is going to be really pissed when they start realizing how much of "The Promise" isn't going to work, or that THEIR version of Star Citizen they were pitched by CIG isn't going to happen. It's going to be awesome.

I honestly sort of hope CIG manages to stay afloat and release Star Citizen just so I can see the out rage from all the different kinds of backers when the dream palace comes crumbling down.

Good post, totally agree. Pretty much sums up the Star Citizen experience from here on out. Backers can hand-wave and rationalize poo poo away, but once their pet feature gets hit, there will be nothing to hide behind.

On a separate note, your personal story is a great example of what I hope for every Citizen. Even though you were a hardcore supporter, with more than just pride and the price of your ships at stake, in the end you let rational observation and reason prevail. The internet makes it easier than ever to confirm your own biases, and I think it takes a lot of brains and a lot of guts to walk away from the SC berry patch, deep in as you were. There’s a lot of lols incoming, I’m glad you’re with us for the ride.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7tzny0/do_you_think_cig_will_win_the_motion_to_dismiss/dtgirpl/

"wait a minute, THE Ortwin Freyermuth called Crytek a sinking ship? This changes everything"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Terebus posted:

Looks like someone might have had a few drinks ^^^
man I goddamn wish

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

o no my narrative

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

FailureToReport posted:

I skimmed a lot of the 10FtC transcripts for https://starcitizentracker.github.io. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times Chris said 'thats not going to be something we can do this time around'

The first time I came across one I thought woah he actually said no for once.

searching "idea" results in 324 matches found.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 30, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dusty Lens posted:

As memory serves they said that Org 2.0 was basically one line of code away from being finished but then they decided to have a poll to see what people really wanted and it turned out that CIG's poll determined that what people really wanted was a fully interactive star map, so they dropped everything to get cracking on that.

I guess they're still working on it.

Your money is safe with these people.

No they made that starmap and it was dull and everyone immediately forgot about it, then they never went back to Org 2.0

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

IDGAF if Beet probes me for "Anime", I'm super proud of this paint job that took forever, and I'm showing it everyone before I stuff it on a shelf to get dusty. Also, it's a good example of a better use of time over "playing" Star Citizen.

Nice weathering there.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

You owe me £1.00 Moma.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

what kind of idiot font makes every lower case g look like it has an apostrophe after it

or who is this a dr seuss book

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

So since piracy and all it’s many avenues of being there are gone, as well as piracy being the only real reason to have an FPS in your game, I guess you’re back to:

Shoot a guy... or don’t shoot a guy, for no gain if you shoot the guy

Eventually mining maybe

Hauling cargo boxes

Since there’s no point to piracy, there’s also no point to mercenaries and bounty hunters, and inevitably capturing other players is going to fizzle off of you can’t even capture their non-player property.

In game trading probably will also go away because like piracy, it can be abused.

So we’re real close now to Elite, and SC has basically destroyed the only reason to have FPS combat, may as well try to license the Elite engine and mass replace the models with your own fidelity traps.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason to have FPS combat at all now?

Most definitely. It is for the sole purpose of these manbabies to be able to pretend they are virtual Space Ken Dolls and can sperg away at playing Space Man inside their Space Barbie Corvettes. There is no game outside of that. They are literally just playing with virtual dolls at this point.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Go east.

Thorin sits down and sings about Gold.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

how they even gonna handle something as simple as org chat

you have 10k members in your loving org, how you gonna handle chatting with them. 100 person guilds in wow were way too loving much, how you gonna do this poo poo, you gonna put a hard limit on org numbers, that's how and you're going to have six hundred spinoffs of TEST and there will be so much goddamn animosity between its members and I will laugh as you butcher each other across game forums vying to be the closest ones to montoyas balls

LOL!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DapperDon posted:

Most definitely. It is for the sole purpose of these manbabies to be able to pretend they are virtual Space Ken Dolls and can sperg away at playing Space Man inside their Space Barbie Corvettes. There is no game outside of that. They are literally just playing with virtual dolls at this point.

Clifford aka Miku is 100% fine with this

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

FailureToReport posted:

It looks like this is going down in two stages per feature, too. First, they'll announce the stuff that won't work in the feature they will implement; where Citizens can go "aw, why though" but then fall back to "I guess the rest of it would work better though". And then the actual implementation will hit, which is probably going to be a buggy mess even in its severely stripped and cut-down version. In which the only defense would be "it's only pre-alpha".

Which is why this project ain't leaving pre-alpha ever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

I do not believe we know 100% on that one. He appears to have fallen down the wing commander memory hole, and he hasn't been on any show or video in months. He no longer talks SC at all.
last conversation I had about weird smell guy they were pretty adamant about him being 100% done with anything SC related

supposedly lando and ben are the big laughing stocks/embarrassments of the office and they've been trying since late 2016 to transition them away as the faces of the company

why jared suddenly has all this screentime, I dunno, but I figure it's because nothing there loving matters anymore and the offices are basically hosting lavish, champagne fueled orgies until the banks storm in

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You owe me £1.00 Moma.

poo poo on a Shingle: My adventure shilling for Star Citizen

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

No they made that starmap and it was dull and everyone immediately forgot about it, then they never went back to Org 2.0

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Turbulent was far too busy hand-cranking bespoke animations for CIG's latest con.

Punt: Intended

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Let me consult an expert RE: Org 2.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7ts5rl/what_happened_to_organisations_20/

Mystery solved!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dusty Lens posted:

poo poo on a Shingle: My adventure shilling for Star Citizen

Belt up : i'm not saying i am Toast but if i was.......

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

Quavers posted:

iospace posted:

I went into the water.

What do?
Go east.
Thorin sits down and sings about Gold.
<USE> Tickle Feather on Thorin

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

Let me consult an expert RE: Org 2.0

Mystery solved!

Oh good! I wonder how many other features have been delivered, just... not in the game in any way?

Oh, all of them you say? Well, guess development's finished boys, time to pack up.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

TheAgent posted:

why jared suddenly has all this screentime, I dunno, but I figure it's because nothing there loving matters anymore and the offices are basically hosting lavish, champagne fueled orgies until the banks storm in

Obviously it's because he lacks scruples and doesn't mind putting his face all over this perfectly legitimate scam.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

What the christ does face over IP have to do with orgs, or voice chat?

I could have just shortened this post to: "What the christ does face over IP"

Or just :wtchris:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh good! I wonder how many other features have been delivered, just... not in the game in any way?

Oh, all of them you say? Well, guess development's finished boys, time to pack up.

"The code is done, I just need to :words:" says every developer ever when they've yet to start, but have thought about it a little.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

What the christ does face over IP have to do with orgs, or voice chat?

I could have just shortened this post to: "What the christ does face over IP"

Or just :wtchris:

You don't understand Org 2.0 development

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Seriously, if Star Citizen fans learn one thing, and one thing only, I wish it would be this: "The work is not done until the code is deployed and working in production."

Just because a dev marks a story complete doesn't mean anything material when it comes to an end-product. It has to be integrated into a releasable build, tested (not trivial), deployed (not trivial), and proven to work in a user-facing production environment. Until all those boxes are checked, you don't get to say mission accomplished.

Why. Just WHY the gently caress to these rabid fans spend their entire day rationalizing CIG's incompetence and blatant misinformation? I will never, ever understand what's in it for them.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

You don't understand Org 2.0 development

Thank the hot wet lord for that.

Try to understand the unintelligible only at your own peril.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBh5SLL8FE&t=6s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwqGe1aj_jI&t=575s

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Oh sweet! More blatant Dune ripoffs!

Bless the Chairman and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Toops posted:

Seriously, if Star Citizen fans learn one thing, and one thing only, I wish it would be this: "The work is not done until the code is deployed and working in production."

Just because a dev marks a story complete doesn't mean anything material when it comes to an end-product. It has to be integrated into a releasable build, tested (not trivial), deployed (not trivial), and proven to work in a user-facing production environment. Until all those boxes are checked, you don't get to say mission accomplished.

Why. Just WHY the gently caress to these rabid fans spend their entire day rationalizing CIG's incompetence and blatant misinformation? I will never, ever understand what's in it for them.

That's a really old and slow way to dev. Don't you know about the layering technique ?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Toops posted:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Toops posted:

Oh sweet! More blatant Dune ripoffs!

Bless the Chairman and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Nah, it's at least partly "influenced" by Rogue One and Tusken Raiders.