Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

This isnt true at all.

He was drunk when he hit people while driving. :colbert:

The fact that he was drunk doesn't imply he was not high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
In lighter news.

https://twitter.com/vmochama/status/958089511971549185

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TPS is pulling a Keystone Cops routine to make it more plausible that they allowed a serial killer to operate in the gay village for eight years unchecked, and completely botched the investigation of a high-profile assassination, due to absolute incompetence rather than indifference or malice.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Oh my god you retards just say you feel sick and take a cab home, then go to bed.

Why in this timeline do I need to tell cops how to handle overdoing edibles that they have stolen while on the clock?

What is even happening?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They had to much and basically had someone put out a 10-33. They were high af

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

What is even happening?

I have no loving idea but I'm both amused and frightened by current events.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I gotta say, I'm mostly frightened. Also dumbfounded. The amused isn't always there. I'm tired of all the bad stuff happening that hurts people.

But a bunch of cops getting so high on stolen pot brownies they 10-33 deserves a LOL.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn't this actually true? I'm pretty sure the Fords have been growing or at least doing hands-off wholesale stuff for years....

Someone I know that is about the same age as Doug Ford told me long before any of the news made the rounds that he used to buy hash off of Doug Ford at some place called the "Wop Shop".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah Dougie used to be a hash dealer.

What worries me is that Doug has (some) brains. He knows how to peddle to the OPC base very, very well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Keep in mind, if Doug were to win the leadership, if the PCPO got anything less than a majority in the coming election, we'd be guaranteed another one immediately following the first confidence vote.

He is legendarily bad at actual politics, he cannot cooperate with anyone, even people ostensibly on his side.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Keep in mind, if Doug were to win the leadership, if the PCPO got anything less than a majority in the coming election, we'd be guaranteed another one immediately following the first confidence vote.

He is legendarily bad at actual politics, he cannot cooperate with anyone, even people ostensibly on his side.

Remind you of anyone?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

In a Westminster-style parliamentary system? Not specifically, who did you have in mind?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In a Westminster-style parliamentary system?

Not specifically

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, that's kinda the point though. The Legislative Assembly of Ontario is not the American Federal system, probably helps to keep that in mind before making comparisons.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Uh, thanks I guess? I know this, so I'm not sure why you're climbing all over me.

quote:

Tell me this claim, when put next to the claim someone shouldn't be elected, isn't basically a meme at this point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TPS is pulling a Keystone Cops routine to make it more plausible that they allowed a serial killer to operate in the gay village for eight years unchecked, and completely botched the investigation of a high-profile assassination, due to absolute incompetence rather than indifference or malice.

Another thing the Some Great Idea book reminded me of was Rob Ford's conflict of interest court case saga where his defence was literally that he was so aggressively ignorant he shouldn't be at fault. And then surprise, he was found guilty and removed from office (to be appealed later of course).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Uh, thanks I guess? I know this, so I'm not sure why you're climbing all over me.

Sorry, I guess I'm just really sick of people making this comparison like it's some great insight, when no, they are not even remotely comparable because of the political systems they operate in.

Doug Ford could literally be Donald Trump and it would not be a useful comparison, except possibly for how badly it's going to shithouse his party.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I read some suggestions today that the PCPO might set out rules to make it difficult/impossible for Ford to run

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lobok posted:

Another thing the Some Great Idea book reminded me of was Rob Ford's conflict of interest court case saga where his defence was literally that he was so aggressively ignorant he shouldn't be at fault.

Tbf that was also Trudeau's defense with the free trip from a lobbyist ethics thing. Good thing he's not fat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

I read some suggestions today that the PCPO might set out rules to make it difficult/impossible for Ford to run

That would also be hilarious, since a big part of the resentment in the party that Doug is trying to capitalize on, is that the party is railroading changes through over the objections of the ridings.

Maybe he can run for the Trillium Party after they lock him out of the leadership race

flakeloaf posted:

Tell me this claim, when put next to the claim someone shouldn't be elected, isn't basically a meme at this point.

Yeah, I get you, it's basically word for word at this point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Maybe he can run for the Trillium Party after they lock him out of the leadership race

He'd get a silly number of votes in Toronto and knock the OPC down to third, wouldn't he?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Tbf that was also Trudeau's defense with the free trip from a lobbyist ethics thing. Good thing he's not fat.

I didn't follow the particulars of that one much but it definitely sounded shady as poo poo. The Ford one was so egregious though because it went to an actual court where Rob Ford testified on the stand with that defence for all to hear. Also the Crown showed that Rob had clearly understood the rules in other situations so he couldn't even effectively claim to be dumb all the time, just selectively.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

He'd get a silly number of votes in Toronto and knock the OPC down to third, wouldn't he?

I think he overestimates his popularity. A lot of those mayoral votes Doug got were votes for Rob.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

You have to admit, this would be the most hilarious outcome.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Reince Penis posted:

I think he overestimates his popularity. A lot of those mayoral votes Doug got were votes for Rob.

I think you are forgetting the source of their popularity.

‘Doug Ford defends himself after handing out $20 bills to constituents’

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Not sure what was happening here, but this is one of my favourite pictures.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was the flag raising for the international day against transphobia in 2013*. Gawker had just leaked The Star's crack-video investigation the previous day.

*Ford was not a fan of this or Pride and tried to avoid both whenever possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Today is "Wow, the Prairies are Really Goddamn Racist!": remember the white farmer who shot a 22-year-old Cree man? His case will be decided by an all-white jury, after the defence worked to exclude every First Nations person from the jury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/colten-boushie-shooting-case-jury-selection-gerald-stanley-1.4506931

Boy, they're really gonna step on their dick with this case, aren't they?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/958323542109679616?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

PCs might renege on holding a vote

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Today is "Wow, the Prairies are Really Goddamn Racist!": remember the white farmer who shot a 22-year-old Cree man? His case will be decided by an all-white jury, after the defence worked to exclude every First Nations person from the jury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/colten-boushie-shooting-case-jury-selection-gerald-stanley-1.4506931

What gets me is the amount of genuine shock and dismay at all of the people making racist comments about this story. Are they only interviewing tourists, or something? Who sees a story about an Indigenous person in 2018 and doesn't immediately react with "oh, this should lead to some thoughtful and nuanced discussion"?

e:

quote:

"As we learn about the size of the judicial boundary, it seems obvious that many people in the far north would not be able or willing to travel to Battleford," he said.

So now my question is how many of the 200 or so who did show up came from a First Nation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

This is completely unsurprising because people of colour are treated as exceptions who are defined by their race but white people are treated as the norm who are defined by their beliefs. Every single indigenous person was considered potentially biased because they share a race with the deceased, but yet every single white person was not considered potentially biased because they share a race with the accused.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

If they do this it will immediately make Doug Ford twice as popular as before because despite how much they claim it's due to grassroots pressure, it is transparently 100% them being afraid he's going to take over their party if they run a race that isn't long enough for them to ratfuck him out of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

This is completely unsurprising because people of colour are treated as exceptions who are defined by their race but white people are treated as the norm who are defined by their beliefs. Every single indigenous person was considered potentially biased because they share a race with the deceased, but yet every single white person was not considered potentially biased because they share a race with the accused.

I didn't say it was surprising, I said it was bad.

It's pretty much what I'd expect out of, well, actually any place in Canada, but especially somewhere on the Prairies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

I didn't say it was surprising, I said it was bad.

It's pretty much what I'd expect out of, well, actually any place in Canada, but especially somewhere on the Prairies.

Agreed,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean, at least George Zimmerman had to pretend his life was being threatened before he shot Trayvon Martin. I think the defence in the Colten Boushie case is "we thought they were stealing something" (not an excuse for killing someone, even if it was 100% true) and "I was just trying to scare them, the gun went off by accident" (tough poo poo, don't use a gun to scare people, you loving moron. Do not point a gun at something you aren't prepared to destroy).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Dude shouldn't have shot that kid IMO, it was an unjustifiable killing, but don't start posting about the poor kid that got shot for trying to get help for a flat tire when there's evidence pointing to that group getting shot after committing burglary at at least one other farm and then attempting the same at a second.

It's a shame. That kid shouldn't have died. Even if they were on a robbery spree the socioeconomic conditions that lead to them doing that shouldn't have even existed, but it really seems like this isn't nearly as cut and dry as 'poor innocent kids pull into driveway for help and get shot at because racism' and pushing that narrative does nothing to even begin to fix the issues that contributed to his death.

So don't do it, unless you want to further prove that none of you privileged fucks actually give a poo poo about supporting or contributing to a solution to our society's problems, rather than just yelling at the cause of them chasing your angry internet leftist high.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Dude shouldn't have shot that kid IMO, it was an unjustifiable killing, but don't start posting about the poor kid that got shot for trying to get help for a flat tire when there's evidence pointing to that group getting shot after committing burglary at at least one other farm and then attempting the same at a second.

It's a shame. That kid shouldn't have died. Even if they were on a robbery spree the socioeconomic conditions that lead to them doing that shouldn't have even existed, but it really seems like this isn't nearly as cut and dry as 'poor innocent kids pull into driveway for help and get shot at because racism' and pushing that narrative does nothing to even begin to fix the issues that contributed to his death.

So don't do it, unless you want to further prove that none of you privileged fucks actually give a poo poo about supporting or contributing to a solution to our society's problems, rather than just yelling at the cause of them chasing your angry internet leftist high.

Agreed, that's why burglary is a capital crime in Canada

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't want to get in the way of your anti-SJW wankfest, but I believe I brought up those things in my last post, which you conveniently ignored.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you want to get really pissed off, read about how the RCMP treated Boushie's family when they went to break the news he was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

EvilJoven posted:

he sure was no angel