Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

M-maybe the problem is... Scott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This entire issue stems from the false premise that there's any kind of "problem" with Andy Daly episodes.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Andy is not a victim. Go listen to Nine Sweaters and hear what his characters get up to when he’s all by himself.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Seaniqua posted:

I love Jason Mantzoukas and I also hope he's never on another episode of CBB

Jeffery Characterwheaties though... (seriously he's fine when he gets his crazy lore building stuff turned back onto him)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I really do love Jason Mantzoukas. I don't really mind all the pushy poo poo he does, either, because I find it funny. The thing I don't care for is his "incredulous guy" character he's always doing.

Mailer Daemon: "It's me, the Mailer Daemon!"
Mantzoukas: "Wait, wait, so you're telling me you're the mailer daemon!?"
Mailer Daemon: "Yes."
Mantzoukas: "As in, you're the guy who sends back mail that fails to send!? Wow. Wow. You're doing it right now, you're returning my mail. You are returning mail at an alarming rate."

OTOH, I'm currently breaking my rule of not complaining about free podcasts* soooo I'll stfu

*except serial - gently caress serial

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just prefer when Andy gets around to his characters being murderous psychopaths naturally :shrug: It's funnier to me when it comes out of nowhere as opposed to him getting asked about it.

But I also love all the Jason/Andy episodes so who knows what the gently caress I'm trying to say

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Andy did not play a murderer, he played returning character and poet/vampire hunter dalton Wilcox. And he was allowed to do a long rear end funny bit on horse training instead of spending that time explaining exactly how familiar he is with a side by side, if he loves Satan, and killing himself (again). Also his poem was extremely good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I got bored and drifted in and out on this one. I love Dalton Wilcox and the poem was great but otherwise it kinda just bumped along with no definite high point. You can rightly criticize the pigeonholing of Andy's characters but Jason is good at drawing out their underlying insanity to great effect.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Laterite posted:

I dunno, I got bored and drifted in and out on this one. I love Dalton Wilcox and the poem was great but otherwise it kinda just bumped along with no definite high point. You can rightly criticize the pigeonholing of Andy's characters but Jason is good at drawing out their underlying insanity to great effect.

Are you a god damned vampire?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Devonaut posted:

Are you a god damned vampire?

Am I a what?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i will say from having heard mantzoukas on other podcasts, he is a genuine fan of andy's. he's told stories about seeing him perform for the first time and being astonished. when i hear him on the podcast i take it as him being genuinely excited to play with him.

this, combined with jason's natural desire to pimp people into absurd things leads to zzz who cares

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GET HIM MODS!!!!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

mennoknight posted:

I really like how I pay for Stitcher Premium so I got a repeat of the Ben Schwartz / Horacio episode but if I didn’t pay I would get a new one that’s the mark of a quality service.

Did you ever get the new episode working? I deleted everything on my Stitcher app and it dutifully redownloaded everything else on my Listen Later list, but now refused to download this new CBB episode.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Inspector 34 posted:

Did you ever get the new episode working? I deleted everything on my Stitcher app and it dutifully redownloaded everything else on my Listen Later list, but now refused to download this new CBB episode.

It did work, I deleted and redownloaded and it was the correct one.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm getting pissed that Patton Oswalt didn't know about Prairie Dawn and made fun of Scott for asking about the monsters.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Finally got Stitcher to download this episode. Dalton Wilcox was hilarious as always and yeah, the joke has always been that he's murdering innocent people, it wasn't just introduced this episode or anything, but I guess I get that not everybody has listened to everything so it might come across as just another murdery Andy Daly character.

I love how Andy can stay in character while interacting with the other guests. It seems like a lot of other people have trouble with this, like even if they keep whatever accent they're putting on they'll pretty much just be themselves whereas Andy actually behaves as the character.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Inspector 34 posted:

Finally got Stitcher to download this episode. Dalton Wilcox was hilarious as always and yeah, the joke has always been that he's murdering innocent people, it wasn't just introduced this episode or anything, but I guess I get that not everybody has listened to everything so it might come across as just another murdery Andy Daly character.

I love how Andy can stay in character while interacting with the other guests. It seems like a lot of other people have trouble with this, like even if they keep whatever accent they're putting on they'll pretty much just be themselves whereas Andy actually behaves as the character.

The best part of the live Womp It Up was him asking questions as the character. “What’s the test??”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is up with CBB's third guest today?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't listened yet what's the problem

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't listened yet what's the problem

He changes his premise every 10 minutes and they're all bad, he is obstinate and doesn't give anyone anything to go on to the point where I assume he's drunk or stoned. And he's not that funny.

Scott and the two other guests trying to figure out how to improv with him was actually pretty funny, because they have nothing to go on but keeping trying. Whitney Cummings was fun, though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Did they take the episode down?

e: nevermind ublock was apparently the issue

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm like four minutes into Marques Ray's appearance and I already don't like him.

Scott put "my wife" and "it's been a while" to rest after beating them into the ground. When, when, when is he going to retire "with but the click of a mouse, my dear boy"? Goddamn, that man gets attached to catchphrases.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Marques Ray was great. I loved everybody trying to follow his circular logic and his commitment to evasion.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

FitFortDanga posted:

Scott put "my wife" and "it's been a while" to rest after beating them into the ground. When, when, when is he going to retire "with but the click of a mouse, my dear boy"? Goddamn, that man gets attached to catchphrases.

He's probably not ever going to retire it because nobody is around to roll their eyes and yell at him during ads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As soon as there aren't ads for internet related things, he'll stop.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
But there's just no other way to say it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Adomian should always be the last guest because he is 100% guaranteed to steamroll everyone who comes after him. Not that Nicole Byer's character was that great, but jeez Adomian is incapable of not being the center of attention for 30 seconds.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Adomian should always be the last guest because he is 100% guaranteed to steamroll everyone who comes after him. Not that Nicole Byer's character was that great, but jeez Adomian is incapable of not being the center of attention for 30 seconds.

My favorite example of this was in the episode from 6 or 7 years ago when Tim and Eric were on, and Adomian started doing a really obnoxious Dr. Bronner soap salesman, and they just were not having anything to do with it.

I haven't listened to every single episode but that's the only one off the top of my head where the guests just completely refused to engage with a character.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I liked the ep a lot. I love Todd Glass. Two big laugh out loud moments for me:

Todd is talking about how thankful he is for the people who helped him with his special, I mean he was really gushing. And Scott interrupted to say, "Todd, I'm worried that you think I'm giving you an award."

The second one was when Scott said they were running out of time and Adomian inserted, "And ideas!"

Anywho I'm generally a fan of Scott and Todd's rapport so I thought it was a solid one.

Great ep, C+.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

My favorite example of this was in the episode from 6 or 7 years ago when Tim and Eric were on, and Adomian started doing a really obnoxious Dr. Bronner soap salesman, and they just were not having anything to do with it.

I haven't listened to every single episode but that's the only one off the top of my head where the guests just completely refused to engage with a character.

No one understood the character, so it went nowhere. But Tim would ignore every character and premise and be obstinate on every episode he was on. That was his game until he stopped appearing.

I never really liked it, but the funniest time Tim was on was a live episode with all the Jash creators. Tim does his anti-comedy end-all-premise game and got in a big argument with Scott, someone tries to move it back to something funny, Scott turns to the audience and says "The audience knows this is a bit, they're enjoying this, right?" The audience is dead silent and Scott gets embarrassed and Tim stops participating.

Also thay ep, Michael Cera and Reggie are mostly quiet, Sarah Silverman is sincerely trying to sell Jash as a concept, and Eric Wareheim only talks about how great Mountain Dew is (they were the sponsors). Eric is hilarious throughout with that bit.

You can watch it all on YouTube.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds amazing. Wasn’t the Tom Hanks “Rasta man” one of Tim’s during a rare ‘actually participating normally’ moment? That always made me laugh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

That sounds amazing. Wasn’t the Tom Hanks “Rasta man” one of Tim’s during a rare ‘actually participating normally’ moment? That always made me laugh.

I don't rememeber that, but I remember Tim actually participating with a story about working on a Woody Allen film, which was good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The episode where he's on with Paul Rust and Jon Daly is another stand out because no one could possibly resist the goofiness of those two. I think that's one of the few Video episodes of the show too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here's Comedy Bang Bang Live with JASH. It's probably the worst CBB Live of all-time, but I love Eric's dedication to the Dew.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The episode where he's on with Paul Rust and Jon Daly is another stand out because no one could possibly resist the goofiness of those two. I think that's one of the few Video episodes of the show too.

Is that the one where Jon Daly is obviously drunk? That one is hilarious. There's also a video of that ep.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I think it's an exaggeration to say Tim always just stonewalls everyone else, if you watch that video episode with him and Paul Rust and Jon Daly he's obviously having fun and participating. He's also brought some all-time classic bits like his The Who merch and Woody Allen's "Ching Chong Matinee".

E: somehow I got beat to all of these points

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This bit was good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp5G87ZdSZI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Franchescanado posted:

Is that the one where Jon Daly is obviously drunk? That one is hilarious. There's also a video of that ep.

Isn’t he dressed in character too?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t he dressed in character too?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

da beeper king BABY posted:

I think it's an exaggeration to say Tim always just stonewalls everyone else, if you watch that video episode with him and Paul Rust and Jon Daly he's obviously having fun and participating. He's also brought some all-time classic bits like his The Who merch and Woody Allen's "Ching Chong Matinee".

E: somehow I got beat to all of these points

Tim once in a while did actual characters, too - he was Nick Nolte at least once. I forget if he ever did Rock and Roll Gary on CBB or if that was only on the Poundcast.