Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
That's incorrect in another way too, they're perfectly capable of building on past works if they want to, as they did in the FGO CCC event. If they choose not to do so it's because they didn't want to, not because the parallel universe structure stops them.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah there's nothing stopping Nasu from writing some plot with the original F/SN cast it's just that he clearly does not want to. I think he's even said that his favorite thing about writing for FGO is it lets him go nuts and do cosmic level poo poo that he could never do in Stay Night.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Multi timeline is really great for the Hall of Heroes as it can grab all the female ver of heroes instead. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

The throne of heroes stuff was established since fsn so I don't really have as much of a gripe with it in particular, but rather stuff like what the hell happened to the fsn cast in the fgo world? It's set 12 years later, and when it first started I got all excited, thinking they might do some sort of tie-in and have adult Shirou show up just as he was right about at Archer's age, or something like that. Something to just generally give a sense that it was a weird pseudo-sequel to FSN rather than a mostly unrelated spin-off.
Why would you want that? Shirou's story is over. It's done. F/SN is a story whole unto itself. It's the same reason basically none of the original FSN characters are even relevant to the story. Arturia barely appears as herself, Emiya only appears in events as a gag, Cu only really appears in altered forms, Medusa only really appears in altered forms, Medea gets a younger version to flesh out her character, Kojiro is fleshed out a bit via Musashi. The only character to get any significant amount of screentime in FGO's main plot, as themselves, with no alteration or retcons or significant personality or presentation difference, is freaking Cursed Arm Hassan, and that's because he was such a non-character in FSN. Because the FSN cast are already well characterized. They don't need yet another story about them, it'd just feel stupid and forced.

FGO is good because it is its own story, with a bunch of new characters. It contributes to Fate/Stay Night not via some forced appearances or 'remember me, Samus?' but because of how its new characters and plot reflect and elaborate on the themes, ideas, and tidbits of information established in Fate/Stay Night. Fate/Stay Night's arguments on heroism are better for having the supplemental material of a story like Shinjuku, where a bunch of villains and fakes reflect on their own morality, completely on their own terms, only barely tethered to Fate/Stay Night via Emiya Alter (who's probably the worst part of Shinjuku, not uncoincidentally)

Fate/Stay Night is nearly fourteen years old at this point, it's a story older than a significant portion of the people playing Fate/Grand Order. Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Grand Order would be made worse by being nothing but fanservice for longterm fans, both because it'd cheapen Fate/Stay Night and because it'd narrow Fate/Grand Order's appeal while limiting the stories it's capable of telling.

The answer to the question of 'what the hell happened to the fsn cast in the fgo world' isn't 'nasu got lazy and didn't write around this obvious plot hole!' the answer to the question is the cast of fsn don't matter. The cast of FSN are a cast for the story of FSN, and they function beautifully there. FGO has its own cast, and they serve the story FGO is trying to tell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I agree, after Return to the Spring I was content to let Shirou and company ride off into the sunset. They said what they needed to say and do what they needed to do. If there is anything additional I'd want it'd just be more FHA-like antics (specifically with the Shirou/Sakura/Rider/Rin crew from that ending).

The story I've been most interested in hearing more of is Mahoyo/Aozaki shenanigans. It at least seemed that there was a lot they could do there and at least for a time it appeared that that family was going to be the central element that tied all of the works together.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Looking forward to the cooking show spending multiple episodes explaining where it fits in the FSN/FHA timeline as Shirou is forced to make smashburgers for all of Saber's alters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The GIG posted:

Looking forward to the cooking show spending multiple episodes explaining where it fits in the FSN/FHA timeline as Shirou is forced to make smashburgers for all of Saber's alters.
i hope there's an episode where shirou makes snacks for everyone while they play fate/grand order and watch their fate/apocrypha blu-rays

Nate RFB posted:

I agree, after Return to the Spring I was content to let Shirou and company ride off into the sunset. They said what they needed to say and do what they needed to do. If there is anything additional I'd want it'd just be more FHA-like antics (specifically with the Shirou/Sakura/Rider/Rin crew from that ending).

The story I've been most interested in hearing more of is Mahoyo/Aozaki shenanigans. It at least seemed that there was a lot they could do there and at least for a time it appeared that that family was going to be the central element that tied all of the works together.
It feels like Nasu's just kind of lost interest in the Aozakis. Wasn't Mahoyo supposed to have multiple episodes?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nate RFB posted:

i agree, put alice in fgo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

i agree, put alice in fgo

i lol'd when they put touko in the tv commercial for the kara no kyoukai event in fgo just because, without realizing that'd give people the impression she was going to be in the game someday

ps: what is your favorite of the 17 designs touko's had. i actually kind of like the original blue-haired one just because its what battle moon wars used and battle moon wars was my intro to type moon somehow

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I don't even care about the Aozakis, i just wish we could one day get Araya as a Servant somehow

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

i hope there's an episode where shirou makes snacks for everyone while they play fate/grand order and watch their fate/apocrypha blu-rays

It feels like Nasu's just kind of lost interest in the Aozakis. Wasn't Mahoyo supposed to have multiple episodes?
Nasu lost interest in a lot of VN projects in general, seemingly. See: Tsukihime Remake

Endorph posted:

ps: what is your favorite of the 17 designs touko's had. i actually kind of like the original blue-haired one just because its what battle moon wars used and battle moon wars was my intro to type moon somehow
Mahoyo Touko, personally. That green dress thing is rad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Nasu still wants to do the Tsukihime remake, he certainly seems invested in it in interviews, he just seems more like he's preoccupied with how huge Fate has become. Which, fair enough.

Freak Futanari posted:

I don't even care about the Aozakis, i just wish we could one day get Araya as a Servant somehow
I want Cornelius.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I want my Tsukihime remake with Mahoyo production values.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I do like blue-hair Touko but only done by wadarco. Otherwise it's definitely Kara no Kyoukai's OL Touko with the ponytail. Glasses and unglasses are both great. She's always coolest with a smoke.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
All the Toukos are good, but I'm also partial to the original blue hair design.

e: FGO probably sidetracked everything Nasu was working on when it blew up, which hopefully includes the Mahoyo parts 2 and 3 he talked about before. That he put that weird little hint in the EoR trailer about the nature of the 5th seems to indicate that he hasn't entirely forgotten about it at least.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 30, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dude made implications about Last Encore Hakuno in Holmes trial quest, the Mushroom is capable of anything.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I agree, after Return to the Spring I was content to let Shirou and company ride off into the sunset. They said what they needed to say and do what they needed to do.

Same, but after Cherry Blossom's Dream :kheldragar:

I don't know why, but I feel it fits much better as an ending to Heaven's Feel. Shirou makes his choice, achieves a miracle and pays an adequate price for it. "True" ending only really worked for me as a finale of Illya's story, the rest of it read more like a Type Moon Good End.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I disagree. The story exemplifies a multitude of cases where Shirou sacrifices some aspect of himself, whether his life or his happiness, for others and/or the greater good. We've seen that end of his played out over and over again. This is why Return to the Spring is significant, because it's when he's finally able to reject the insanity of Kiritsugu's path and because of that very action is able to achieve what to me feels like the most demonstrably happy situation he could find himself in; not only because he was able to live with the people he loves, but also because it's even harder to see him ever falling off that path onto EMIYA's again. It's why it feels like a proper bookend compared to UBW's or especially Fate's, because you still have those nagging doubts that he actually learned anything, and HF Normal where he never even got the chance. And for the conversation at present, Return to the Spring would be something that additional stories could be told, while Cherry Blossom Dreams is more or less a dead end thematically.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm of the camp that Sakura's Normal End may be depressing as hell, but it's thematically a better fit for the story.

The entirety of Heaven's Feel is basically the destruction of Emiya Shirou. Literally everything that defines him as a person is systematically sacrificed throughout the course of the events of the plotline, so it fits that it concludes with his death after having fulfilled what he set out to do.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'm of the camp that Sakura's Normal End may be depressing as hell, but it's thematically a better fit for the story.

The entirety of Heaven's Feel is basically the destruction of Emiya Shirou. Literally everything that defines him as a person is systematically sacrificed throughout the course of the events of the plotline, so it fits that it concludes with his death after having fulfilled what he set out to do.

There, there, they expressed it much better than I could, pour them a pint. Then again, I've always seen UBW True as a perfectly good standalone finale of Shirou's story and HF as more of an alternate path he could take and a more in-depth examination of the Holy Grail War itself, rather than the "definite" or "correct" ending like I've seen some people here posit. Fate asks a question and UBW and HF are equally valid answers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To me that expresses the idea that he doesn't actually learn from his (and Kiritsugu's) mistakes, and is ultimately punished for it. It's an extension of the train of thought he's had from the very beginning, viewing himself as more of a weapon/tool to be used for the greater good or others rather than himself. Simply dying at the end of that path isn't a true death/destruction of that way of life, it's an affirmation of it. It's why that the only true way for "Emiya Shirou" to die for good is for when he does all the things he did in Heaven's Feel, but still ultimately comes to this conclusion: https://imgur.com/SWKGMES

By doing so, the mistake that was the worldview brought about by his walk through the fire could finally be put to rest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Everything that makes him Emiya Shirou is bad. By rejecting all of it, he's finally able to move on and grow. If he dies, there's no progression and no lesson learned, he just died. If he lives, he has the chance to actually act in a different way, to use the lessons he's learned.

It's not a thematic better fit for the story at all for him to die. It literally negates the entire point if he dies.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Everything that makes him Emiya Shirou is bad. By rejecting all of it, he's finally able to move on and grow. If he dies, there's no progression and no lesson learned, he just died. If he lives, he has the chance to actually act in a different way, to use the lessons he's learned.

It's not a thematic better fit for the story at all for him to die. It literally negates the entire point if he dies.

Shirou's decisions in Heaven's Feel aren't structured around the idea of 'my old self was kind of a broken person so I'm moving past that' it's structured around 'I will literally fry my own brain if I have to in order to save Sakura.'

Yes, it would indeed be good for him to learn and become a nicer, healthier individual but that's not the story Heaven's Feel is telling. It's about an already broken person breaking himself even more for the sake of the person he loves to the point of complete self destruction.

Edit: To clarify, I indeed believe Sakura's True End is the correct path to Shirou becoming a happier, more well-adjusted person. But I don't interpret the rest of Heaven's Feel as showing us that Shirou is taking the steps to become that person. He's still self-destructive, just in a more personal goal instead of a wider one.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no thats literally not the story heaven's feel is telling lol

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We all can agree that’s hell he is walking into.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Heaven's Feel is the story about a coward who did not dare try the mapo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The F/SN cooking show better have mapo tofu as an episode

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Performed by kirei

Alternatively done by jouji in real life

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 30, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rejoice, boy! I have brought my special Mapo recipe!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mapo tofu is at its best when it's spicy and Shirou is a wimp imo

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

How can you understand the powerfulness of mapo tofu without someone trembling under it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Endorph posted:

no thats literally not the story heaven's feel is telling lol

Yeah there's some fundamental misunderstanding going on here, because unlike Fate and Unlimited Blade Works, where Shirou's thought process is:

"I must do this even if it kills me (because my life is worthless/my ideal is more valuable)."

In Heaven's Feel, Shirou's driving force is his desire to be with the people he cares about. Giving up his life for them is incidental and really more of a compromise position, where he's taking the options available to him and pushing dealing with the consequences for later.

This is best exemplified by how all throughout Fate/UBW, whenever he's going to pull one of his insane stunts, alarms blare in his head "you'll die if you do this, idiot!" that he has to fight to overcome, but towards the second half of Heaven's Feel that so-far consistent aspect of his character is just gone. It's horrifying, but it's a sign he's acting in complete unity of goal/desire/instincts, and doing the so very human act of "I just don't have time to worry about that bullshit" which his subconscious is for once 100% on board with.

Hell, during his last moments, he's not apologizing to Sakura because he'll die and leave her alone; as he heads towards certain death, he's still thinking about fulfilling their promise to watch the cherry blossoms together.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is best exemplified by how all throughout Fate/UBW, whenever he's going to pull one of his insane stunts, alarms blare in his head "you'll die if you do this, idiot!" that he has to fight to overcome, but towards the second half of Heaven's Feel that so-far consistent aspect of his character is just gone.

This is... objectively not true. Heck, he still gets a scene like that in Nine Bullet Revolver. And if they're gone after that it's because he knows that once he's released the shroud he's a dead man walking.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Aumanor posted:

This is... objectively not true. Heck, he still gets a scene like that in Nine Bullet Revolver. And if they're gone after that it's because he knows that once he's released the shroud he's a dead man walking.

He's explicitly not afraid of dying, he's afraid of losing his mind from the pain and forgetting about them (betraying them).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah there's some fundamental misunderstanding going on here, because unlike Fate and Unlimited Blade Works, where Shirou's thought process is:

"I must do this even if it kills me (because my life is worthless/my ideal is more valuable)."

In Heaven's Feel, Shirou's driving force is his desire to be with the people he cares about. Giving up his life for them is incidental and really more of a compromise position, where he's taking the options available to him and pushing dealing with the consequences for later.

This is best exemplified by how all throughout Fate/UBW, whenever he's going to pull one of his insane stunts, alarms blare in his head "you'll die if you do this, idiot!" that he has to fight to overcome, but towards the second half of Heaven's Feel that so-far consistent aspect of his character is just gone. It's horrifying, but it's a sign he's acting in complete unity of goal/desire/instincts, and doing the so very human act of "I just don't have time to worry about that bullshit" which his subconscious is for once 100% on board with.

Hell, during his last moments, he's not apologizing to Sakura because he'll die and leave her alone; as he heads towards certain death, he's still thinking about fulfilling their promise to watch the cherry blossoms together.

Okay then. I admit I may have misread or misunderstood the story way back when.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
2nd Emiya Gohan ep is good because it had Lancer and the twist is he didn't die so even better

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Extremely important part of Today's Menu:

https://twitter.com/Pahyu_460/status/959051692250513410

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I was surprised by the Fionn mac Cumhaill cameo. But then again, given what the main course for today's meal was, it makes sense that they'd give him a shout out.

Also, Taiga and Lancer would make a cute couple. Just tossin' that out there. :3:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, Taiga and Lancer would make a cute couple. Just tossin' that out there. :3:

https://twitter.com/Pahyu_460/status/959189617244123136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Please do not ntr baz