Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

What are currently the go-to army cases?
https://www.krmulticase.com/

Be warned, their site is rear end and always has been. The actual cases are fantastic though and have tons of tray options. I fit a 1000 point ZM force with some extra options and the entire Shadespire range (stormcast, khorne, skeletons, and orcs) in a single case for LVO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

He used to sue other manufacturers for stealing "his" revolutionary idea of cutting foam into shapes, and he made a big scene at Adepticon one year because another manufacturer was there even though Battlefoam sponsored the event. I think he ended up yelling at someone's mum about it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It was at the Nova Open where he yelled at Laurie Brandt (my pick for the first Warhammer Heros winner), as some of his prize support was accidentally being sold at the convention store.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Inceptors are the goddamn devil. Those stems are a nightmare, I've had 3 of 6 break and they're a nightmare to repair. Treat them like the delicate babies they are.

Use 2 part epoxy to glue them instead of super/plastic glue. Since doing that none of mine have broken.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ugly John posted:

and apparently his spot in the ETC (ATC? one of them), since one of his teammates was in the chat.

What is ETC/ATC?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

European Team Championship, where 6 players from each country (or region for the UK because there's so many) each bring a different army and compete to see who the best team is. Matchmaking is pretty unique for this, and lists are built to metabust. It's pretty interesting. Also the US and Australia usually show up even though it's for Europe.

The ATC is the American version, but instead of teams from each region it's open to any 6 member teams.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The plan is to use a Sang guard head, storm shield and normal jump pack. New to blood Angels, are Captains usually red or gold armoured?

The only acceptable scheme:

Safety Factor posted:

Be warned, their site is rear end and always has been. The actual cases are fantastic though and have tons of tray options. I fit a 1000 point ZM force with some extra options and the entire Shadespire range (stormcast, khorne, skeletons, and orcs) in a single case for LVO.

Seconding KR, you can carry an insane amount of stuff with a little planning. If you're struggling with the website you can email them with what you want and they'll hook you up.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

Seconding KR, you can carry an insane amount of stuff with a little planning. If you're struggling with the website you can email them with what you want and they'll hook you up.

I just placed another order to have foam for my Adepticon lists. I usually just e-mail them and ask "what is best for the following?" because I grew frustrated with their site. They used to have a feature that you would put in your model list and it would spit out an order of foam to match it, but it just tended to give you WAY more than what you needed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KR is pretty good. If you have a lot of stuff to store but generally don't take much of it with you, you can also get one of their solid cases and a ton of extra foam, just pack the foam trays you need for whatever army you're taking on the day and leave the rest on shelves or whatever.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Alex handling it with class and not just rage quitting like I would have probably saved the LVO and competitive 40k in general. Tony getting his just desserts in the finals was even better revenge than just a DQ regardless.

Reece and Frankie owe Alex big time.

When you look at the dude's scores from each round its like half of Nick's who basically got max points nearly every time, it definitely highlights the difference in skill.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still have an order pending for a Battlefoam case that I never fulfilled. I should do that at some point.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I still have an order pending for a Battlefoam case that I never fulfilled. I should do that at some point.

By "do that" you mean "cancel it" right?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
What KR trays are yall using for big marines?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ZachAttack posted:

What KR trays are yall using for big marines?

I can't remember the code for it but there's a 1/4 case tray which has 36 slots and that's ideal for them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I remember back in like 2005 I was using some cases that had foam trays with removable foam pieces so that you can customize each one to your units. Are those styles of cases no longer popular?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Partial Octopus posted:

I remember back in like 2005 I was using some cases that had foam trays with removable foam pieces so that you can customize each one to your units. Are those styles of cases no longer popular?

KR do them. They have a pre-cut range but they also just sell different thicknesses of tray which you can pick and pluck the foam from to suit whatever weird thing you need to transport.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Thanks guys. Btw what's the best load out for Sang guard and death company (will be magnatising anyway but just gonna ask)

Sanguinary Guards basically want swords with a few fists scattered throughout since the axes are 25% more than a fist for some dumb reason. Overall the Angelus Boltguns are the best ranged option since they won't have too much chance to shoot but with the reroll from Heirs of Azkaellon the plasma pistols can give you a fairly effective round of shooting after you deepstrike.

Death Company is a bit tougher overall. You probably want the bulk of them to have bolters and chainswords. I think the old 7th edition standard of one thunder hammer/power fist and 1 power sword per 5 probably makes sense for special weapons. I've got a few inferno pistols in there as well but I don't know that this is actually a particularly good choice.

And definitely paint your captain red

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Be warned, their site is rear end and always has been.

You weren't kidding. I'm surprised there aren't Goku/Sonic/Lightsaber gifs

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Pendent posted:

Sanguinary Guards basically want swords with a few fists scattered throughout since the axes are 25% more than a fist for some dumb reason. Overall the Angelus Boltguns are the best ranged option since they won't have too much chance to shoot but with the reroll from Heirs of Azkaellon the plasma pistols can give you a fairly effective round of shooting after you deepstrike.

Death Company is a bit tougher overall. You probably want the bulk of them to have bolters and chainswords. I think the old 7th edition standard of one thunder hammer/power fist and 1 power sword per 5 probably makes sense for special weapons. I've got a few inferno pistols in there as well but I don't know that this is actually a particularly good choice.

And definitely paint your captain red

I agree with this, and it also tracks pretty closely with the lists I saw from looking at the BA players who did well at LVO. It's worth noting that if you play PL and not points you're probably going to want to upgrade the crap out of the Death Company, as they're basically costed as if each one is carrying a thunderhammer. For our upcoming friendly games, I am going to be trying them with a couple thunderhammers and the rest of the 15 with power swords and a mix of plasma and inferno pistols. They should pretty well smash anything they get near, and then hopefully will have done enough damage to survive the return fire

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
One thing I've been seeing, particularly from seeing LVO results is that a lot of games are not finishing in the time frame. Games in 8th edition at release seemed to be quicker, but these days with all the options and strategems, it's not the case. The standard points went from 1850 to 2000 when 8th dropped. I think it's time to drop it back down. Maybe even to 1750.

This would also help cut down on lists with 3 superheavies.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

You're very welcome, these look great! The 40k bits are really seamlessly integrated with the steamdwarf stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What's the best loadout for Tartaros terminators? Since powerfist + combi bolter is only 2 points more than dual lightning claws.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

By "do that" you mean "cancel it" right?

No I have the case, just not the foam.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Master Twig posted:

One thing I've been seeing, particularly from seeing LVO results is that a lot of games are not finishing in the time frame. Games in 8th edition at release seemed to be quicker, but these days with all the options and strategems, it's not the case. The standard points went from 1850 to 2000 when 8th dropped. I think it's time to drop it back down. Maybe even to 1750.

I would worry that there's probably a sweet spot somewhere lower on the points scale where the trouble Superheavies can destroy a lot while there not being enough points to deal with them on the other side.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Our local semi casual event is 1500, which I maintain is still the best point value.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Master Twig posted:

Slow playing is tactically advantageous for higher model count armies. This will not change with the points levels.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you shrink the game down to 1750 or 1500, it's probably best to play on a 4x4 at that point, right?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

If you shrink the game down to 1750 or 1500, it's probably best to play on a 4x4 at that point, right?

I usually play 4x4 at 1000 points or below

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think 6x4 for 1500 is great.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I found 1500+ is fine for 6x4. Anything smaller and 4x4 is better.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I found 1500+ is fine for 6x4. Anything smaller and 4x4 is better.

I could get behind a tournament built around 1,250-point armies on 4x4 tables. It'd solve some of the sparse table problems I see every time I look at a photo of a tournament game, at least.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
1500 pts on a 4x4 with lots of multi-level terrain can be really tasty and make for fun games, especially with Open War cards.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Speaking for myself and my group, we play 1k at 4' by 4'. Anything larger we use 6' x 4'. I can't even imagine playing 1750 on a 4'x4', 40k has pretty loving crowded tables as it.

Overall we enjoy 1000-1500 pt games a lot more, I'd say. 2k is a bit of a slog and first turn tends to absolutely cream several units (not that it isn't a real advantage at any size game)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised that really hasn't caught on at all. I would like to go to a tournament that's scaled with 3 different categories: Small, Medium and Large battles - 1000-1250, 1500-1750, 1850-2000.

Maybe I'm not the best to offer advice though. I've only ever been to one tournament.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Frontline guys have been asking the community if they want to lower the points level pretty much every year, but the surveys always come back 2:1ish to keep the same points level.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Yeah, I don't know why the community likes 2k so much. I've been struggling trying to escalate to be able to play in 2k games and it's a bitch of a number to reach.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Frontline guys have been asking the community if they want to lower the points level pretty much every year, but the surveys always come back 2:1ish to keep the same points level.

1500 seems decent scale in my opinion, sure I like 1850, but games can drag on.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think 6x4 for 1500 is great.

This with some decent LOS terrain makes the game alot more fun imo, anything that breaks LOS and encourages moving and splitting forces to chase objectives dramatically increases my enjoyment of the game. Most tourneys have this weird need to have really open boards that I dont understand.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zasze posted:

This with some decent LOS terrain makes the game alot more fun imo, anything that breaks LOS and encourages moving and splitting forces to chase objectives dramatically increases my enjoyment of the game. Most tourneys have this weird need to have really open boards that I dont understand.

Didn't you know that 9 small pieces of terrain arranged symmetrically on a 6x4 table perfectly represents future battlefields in the 41/42 millennium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

You'd understand if it you'd ever had to try and paint sufficient terrain for 100 people to play on good boards. It's loving hard to get that much terrain together and be able to maintain and store it.

1500 is a good value and I'd like to see it make a return. It's a nice balance between being able to have everything you want and not having enough for the game to function properly.