Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is the Emperor still a gestalt entity of psyker souls? That diet can't be good for him.

I was playing Templar Battlefleet recently, it's like equal parts homage to Space Hulk and Dune. The big thing in that game is genetic memories, with the eponymous Templars using it to remember how to fight and pilot their suit, to the point that respecs are free because they're basically resorting which blend of genetic memories they're using. Also why they're brave, no one wants to be forever remembered as the weenie who ran away.
Is there anything that goes into that for Space Marines? Like ancestor cults or even mortuary cannibalism so the omophagea can preserve the delicious skills and wisdom of the fallen?
Like, there's an unbroken line of gruesome glorious deaths linking the geneseed of every Marine back to the Emperor's lab on Terra. Probably why they're so fearless, death is nothing new to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In Ian Watson's Inquisitor War, the Emperor has fragmented his personality into many distinct shard personalities to deal with the insane and preposterous situations he must deal with. It's 40k as gently caress, but GW has been slowly scraping the "chapter approved" labels off Watson's work for years now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
He wrote Space Marine, right? The best book about Space Marines?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes he did, and yes it is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

Is the Emperor still a gestalt entity of psyker souls? That diet can't be good for him.

I was playing Templar Battlefleet recently, it's like equal parts homage to Space Hulk and Dune. The big thing in that game is genetic memories, with the eponymous Templars using it to remember how to fight and pilot their suit, to the point that respecs are free because they're basically resorting which blend of genetic memories they're using. Also why they're brave, no one wants to be forever remembered as the weenie who ran away.
Is there anything that goes into that for Space Marines? Like ancestor cults or even mortuary cannibalism so the omophagea can preserve the delicious skills and wisdom of the fallen?
Like, there's an unbroken line of gruesome glorious deaths linking the geneseed of every Marine back to the Emperor's lab on Terra. Probably why they're so fearless, death is nothing new to them.

Blood sacrifice and flesh eating is pretty common in chapter cults, though I'm not sure there are any that eat their predecessors.

However, it could be argued that a portion of a marines essence goes into the the gene-seed when he dies, becoming part of it's spirit if you want to be executed for heresy

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It happens with Blood Angels to some degree and that is not a good thing!

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Ross Watson interview confirmed a few new Wrath & Glory facts:

-Core Cook will ship with ship and vehicle rules.
-Speaking of the core book, it's ~300 pages. For reference, Dark Heresy 2nd Ed was 450 pages.
-There is some kind of card mechanic, possibly stunts or crits related to the fate die.
-Degrees of success include 'Yes And' and 'No But' types of results.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tias posted:

Generally, the RPG have a completely balls-out insane level of warp perils, so I wouldn't take it as the general level of psyker warping out in the club for the entire imperium.

It's one of those things that are a little contradictory in the lore. The inquisition seems to employ a lot of ice pro psykers who are more or less immune to perils unless it's a Big Bad central to the story, while most books have a line about how watching out for hiding witches is a primary concern for all imperial governors.

My headcanon says it's a decisive but often minor threat, to add to the pervasive feeling of paranoia and dread( leading to a pervasive feeling of Dredd when the arbites find you :iamafag: )

I like the trilogy, but now I can't help but feel it would have been greatly improved if halfway through the first book Eisenhorn psychic commanded someone to 'Drop it' and a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch spontaneously manifested.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Could a sanctioned psyker legitimately get a Warrant of Trade?

I know that there are a couple of Inquisitors on the Rogue Trader big list 'o names but those could conceivably be blunt Inquisitors.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably not. However, psyker or not, an Inquisitor deffo has enough pull to become an RT without anyone giving them poo poo over mind bullets.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

You probably can't get one legitimately, but once you have one who's gonna stop you?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Probably not get awarded a fresh one, but are they excluded from inheritance?
Some Astropath inheriting the Warrant and turning their inherited ship into Xavier's Black Ship for Gifted Youngsters would be pretty cool, especially if they're dodging Radical Inquisitor Magneto's attempts to poach their students.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I feel like it would be the sort of thing that would not normally happen, but you could well contrive a circumstance (like an inheritance or whatever) where it happens and then it's just up to who wins the handwringing about its legitimacy, if anyone cares to challenge it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
40k's a big universe. With enough money and power and influence (hello, Rogue Trader Family), loving anything is possible. Oh, the Psyker would make enemies in the process, or in other words would start with a lot of interesting plot hooks and rivals in powerful positions that the GM could utilize. The Ecclesiarch saying the Psyker Trader should be killed? Hey, he just sent some assassins after the bridge crew. The rival Rogue Trader that feels your inheritance isn't legal? Well I guess that's an opening for them to invade your holdings. Fun times, all around.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Re: Sanctioned Psyker Rogue Trader

I would probably play it as an old dynasty, but one that is dying out. Because of its storied history in the Imperium and the fact that the current Trader - the sanctioned psyker - is the last eligible heir of the dynasty, the various apparatuses of the Imperium were willing to make an exception in light of the circumstances.

However, this means that there will be a vicious power struggle - various cousins from related dynasties (remember, it's an old one so it's related by blood or marriage in some way to most existing RT Houses) would like nothing more than to plunder the name for the last of its riches, and they're more than willing to use the fact that most Imperial agents are unwilling/somewhat negative towards psykers as a way to make operating within the Imperium very, very difficult for the RT.

Luckily, the Warrant of Trade allows you to operate outside of that :getin:

If you succeed, your RT will definitely pass into legend as a figure of great renown, as many learned to fear the awesome power of the Psyker-Trader!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I would think a sanctioned psyker could probably inherit a warrant easy enough if they were the legitimate heir. The problem I would see is that the impression I get is if you're a psyker, and you're caught, you loose all ability to control your life.

First you're thrown in a Black Ship and carted off to Terra for horrible testing. You don't get out of the black ships by being rich.

Assuming you pass testing and don't become Emperor Chow, the impression I always get is sanctioned psykers go wherever they are assigned. You don't get sanctioned and then sent back home to your factorum job, or rich family. You get sent to the inquisition, or the guard, or maybe get soul bound and sent to the Astropathica. Or it might be like the Night's Watch, where if you're sanctioned you're divested of all titles and claims.

Maybe, if your family has enough pull they can get you assigned as a house astropath working with your sibling rogue trader.

Hey, that's a fun idea for a rogue trader game. One where the whole command staff (save maybe the Navigator) are all siblings or half-siblings because dad was a horndog/Was from a world where polygamy is allowed/Henry the 8th his way through wives.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

Hey, that's a fun idea for a rogue trader game. One where the whole command staff (save maybe the Navigator) are all siblings or half-siblings because dad was a horndog/Was from a world where polygamy is allowed/Henry the 8th his way through wives.

On top of that - Dad's still around, and he's using this as an opportunity to see which one of you inherits the Warrant of Trade.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

LuiCypher posted:

On top of that - Dad's still around, and he's using this as an opportunity to see which one of you inherits the Warrant of Trade.

Or due to the nature of parentage (assume polygamy or maybe it was an octomom situation and they're all "tuplets") all of the players have equal inheritance of the warrant, so all decisions must be by a majority vote.

Granted that's good playing anyway, the Rogue Trader player shouldn't be the dictator, but this would be more fun as you could trade votes, or do insane things like vote no because the sibling making the proposal picked on you as kids.

Then the unrelated Navigator is the tie breaking vote.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Werix posted:

Or due to the nature of parentage (assume polygamy or maybe it was an octomom situation and they're all "tuplets") all of the players have equal inheritance of the warrant, so all decisions must be by a majority vote.

Granted that's good playing anyway, the Rogue Trader player shouldn't be the dictator, but this would be more fun as you could trade votes, or do insane things like vote no because the sibling making the proposal picked on you as kids.

Borgia/The Borgias*: 40k. Got it.

*: I can't remember which of the series was the "good" one, as I recall I liked both of them?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess you could be a psyker whose power is convincing people he's a rogue trader.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

moths posted:

I guess you could be a psyker whose power is convincing people he's a rogue trader.

Telepathy is the most powerful discipline (until you run into someone with Machine.)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

You don't even have to use parentage as the reason. Simply speaking, a paperwork conflict between the Administratum and the Ordo Chronos stemming from the five factional variants of the Imperial Calendar resulted in all of them having the same birthday according to Imperial records. Yes, they might all look like they have different ages, but that's not what the paperwork says and the Paperwork. Is. Always. Right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Werix posted:

Alternatively, a plot I've used is when the father in question ended up dying with no legitimate heirs and lots of illegitimate ones - the PCs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

"To the strongest."
Have to figure out who inherited the dominant genes and who inherited the recessive genes, after all.

Edit
For extra 40K unsubtlety, the Dynasty name is "Strong".

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 30, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rockopolis posted:

"To the strongest."
Have to figure out who inherited the dominant genes and who inherited the recessive genes, after all.

Edit

les enfant terribles then?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

"To the strongest."

No joke, this is the plot of my Black Library magazine submission :P . Rogue Trader backstabbing FTW!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Werix posted:

les enfant terribles then?
:smuggo: "gently caress no, terrible infants is what I call other people's brats. Call them...the Successors. Yeah, that's got a nice ring to it."

susan posted:

No joke, this is the plot of my Black Library magazine submission :P . Rogue Trader backstabbing FTW!
Also soon to be the plot of our Sunday game :smugissar:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rockopolis posted:

"To the strongest."

Edit

Somewhere in the universe, a genestealer cult is cackling with glee as they've devised the perfect way to take advantage of this situation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rockopolis posted:

"To the strongest."

Edit

And the family's never-ending search for the milk of human kindness

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Eh we ran a "Weekend at Burnies" game where none of wanted to be the actual Rouge(they tend to die violently in our games) , so we had kind of a shadow council who made all the choices while our dear Captain/Servitor meat puppet walked around and "survived" a surprising number of fatal attacks.

Other fun ones were "Friend computer, our Captain" "Not-a-Fallen-Angel Captain" and our current ongoing game "The last surviving scion is a 6-year old girl (Raised by the Adepta Sororitas) Captain"

The current one had an interesting warp encounter where the monsters in her closet were real.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The guys over at MiniWargaming put up their first episode of Blue Collar Heresy, and I really enjoyed it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Goddamn why is the Only War Hardcover so expensive? I've gotten every other book for <30USD average but that one is like, 150-200 minimum on ebay or online resellers.
I just wanna complete my hardcover collection :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Check half priced books (in person) regularly. Often a good place to find out of print rpg books. Got most of my old shadowrun books that way

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Azhais posted:

Check half priced books (in person) regularly. Often a good place to find out of print rpg books. Got most of my old shadowrun books that way

I'm assuming that's a chain? I don't think they exist in NZ but I try to get into second hand bookstores as often as I can. I managed to 99% my DnD4e collections doing that, but more obscure or less popular titles and systems don't tend to make it in bulk to New Zealand in the first place so it's rare to find good books.
If any goons find a cheap copy at their local though, hit me up!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Cut up a few cardboard boxes, glue them together, and paste pictures of the Only War covers on the front, back, and spine. Add a touch of cargo cult to your collection.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Azhais posted:

The current resellers on HPB are very savvy to the fact that OW is out-of-print, given that prices start at ~$235.

Then again, if you play Tabletop Warhams regularly, this is a drop in the bucket.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Warhammer Community preview of the new RPG. With fun little comic.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/22/wrath-and-glory-rites-of-instructiongw-homepage-post-4/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Honestly I like what they've shown. Reminds me of White Wolf D10 rules, but modified to use D6s because more people have D6s which is fine, honestly.

I especially like the idea of spending extra successes on bonuses of your choosing. Very fun idea.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm cautiously optimistic. The system seems like it would work well in practice. I'm typically not a fan of dice pool systems, but at least this isn't like an opposed system like MHR. Being told how many successes I need, and knowing that each dice is essentially a coin flip will make it sort of easy to figure out your chances.

Hopefully someone will make some custom dice with three sides blank, two sides with one pip, and the last side with two pips (or a servo-skull) showing the exalted.

I'm intrigued about the particular party set up and how there is a space marine scout in there. Honestly, that's a good way to let folks play an astartes, yet also keep the power level somewhat under control. I could totally see the Raven Guard sending a scout of theirs off on detachment to a rogue trader too.

e: will also be another reason for me to look forward to my yearly vacation to Gen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not really a fan of dice pool systems like that, but I'll probably give it a try. D% systems give you a target number and more transparency about your chances. (Please don't turn this into a derail.)

I like the art but hate that they renamed dice "icons" for no clear reason.