Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

What sparked this question in my mind was if it was worse to be shot with a bullet or an arrow

Your own dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Your own dick.

Small caliber ammunition...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Most varieties of poisoned arrow would be pretty unpleasant I bet

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm sure being shot by a bullet is worse in most ways, but from a psychological standpoint I bet seeing an arrow sticking out your body is more shocking and terrifying in the moment

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Clearly getting shot with a sword would be the worst outcome.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
If a dud round from a mortar or something falls and hits you at a precise velocity and ends up lodging itself into your body, does that count as getting shot? Because that would be bad

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A canister/beehive round.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

In the vast history of warfare, what's the worst thing to be shot with

A tank destroyer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm sure being shot by a bullet is worse in most ways, but from a psychological standpoint I bet seeing an arrow sticking out your body is more shocking and terrifying in the moment

I feel this way. I know realistically a bullet is worse but there is a visceral mental reaction I get imagining taking an arrow. It’s like getting blood work done- I’ve got enough pain tolerance that it doesn’t bother me but I still don’t like to see the needle sticking out of my vein. That feeling x1000

Also if you’re on foot, a tank destroyer seems like one of the better things to take fire from. In a foxhole I’d take my chances with one of those bad boys over mortars, tanks, MGs, flamethrowers, just about anything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

zoux posted:

In the vast history of warfare, what's the worst thing to be shot with

A QF VT artillery shell?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fangz posted:

A tank destroyer

A bullet but that bullet was delivered to the front by a bear

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

A bullet but that bullet was delivered to the front by a bear

An ammo delivering bear? Preposterous!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also if you’re on foot, a tank destroyer seems like one of the better things to take fire from. In a foxhole I’d take my chances with one of those bad boys over mortars, tanks, MGs, flamethrowers, just about anything.

Yeah but it'd be wrong

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

In my day to day, button down shirt and well polished shoes, tie optional.

When I'm modding? Flannel pajama bottoms and an open robe. Frankly 50/50 on whether I bother with the pants.

Edit: I do have a stahlhelm by my computer. I'll put that on if I'm feeling frisky when flushing the mod queue.

edit 2: mod-outfit is also identical to what my dissertation writing outfit was.

Disturbing lack of slashed silk here, frankly.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Clarence posted:

Disturbing lack of slashed silk here, frankly.

not enough bright colors and breaking of sumptuary laws

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Gonna go with a fatal hit from white phospherous or a flamethrower. You'll die too slow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you get shot by WP?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If a dud round from a mortar or something falls and hits you at a precise velocity and ends up lodging itself into your body, does that count as getting shot? Because that would be bad
During the mess in Mogadishu apparently a US vehicle driver took a direct hit in the abdomen from an RPG 7 round that penetrated right the way through and killed him instantly but didn't detonate because people are squishy. Of course he was still the driver, so they had to get him out of the seat with a live round in him before they could move on. So I'm gonna go back to this:

SeanBeansShako posted:

How do you feel about shattered bones?
And add "but they belonged to a friend of yours a few seconds ago".

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kHB-yo_gXE&t=82s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Glory or renown aren't political ends?

I think the Romans might disagree. ;)
Or Louis XIV. It was an end in itself for him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Hell, I'm against them.

What sparked this question in my mind was if it was worse to be shot with a bullet or an arrow

Cyrano4747 posted:

Almost certainly a bullet. Deeper penetration, more soft tissue damage, far more damage to bone, more likely to perforate multiple important things...
This is what people who lived during the time when you could reasonably compare the two thought as well

The arrow also plugs its own hole, much like a knife

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 30, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

One of those ancient Germanic throwing axes seem like they could be pretty bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it's only worth arguing about nonfatal injuries, otherwise you just get into the weird and creepy argument about what the best way to die is.

Bullets are harder to remove than arrows, but it's more viable to just leave the bullet in compared to just leaving an arrow shaft sticking out of your body. Hell, with the right conditions the bullet may just speed right through you, which leaves a bigger wound to deal with, but if you start out assuming enough survivability to complain about it, then it's fine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

A conflict between a well-defined group against another well-defined group to achieve a defined and measurable goal through the use of physical violence on both sides over a prolonged period of time.

congratulations, you just proved that the HRE is incapable of going to war

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I've seen photos of someone who had this happen to him on the Finnish front in WW2 and he lived. Russian 50 mm mortar round, to be precise.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GUNS posted:

Well, I mean...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now the warriors of Sparta, that was a well-defined army

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now the warriors of Sparta, that was a well-defined army
everyone else brought spears to the fight, they brought THESE GUNS

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
That well known Lacedaemonian battle cry: Do you even lift?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like it's only worth arguing about nonfatal injuries, otherwise you just get into the weird and creepy argument about what the best way to die is.

Bullets are harder to remove than arrows, but it's more viable to just leave the bullet in compared to just leaving an arrow shaft sticking out of your body. Hell, with the right conditions the bullet may just speed right through you, which leaves a bigger wound to deal with, but if you start out assuming enough survivability to complain about it, then it's fine.

Survivability has to come into it, and with bullet wounds the fact that it is carried all the way into your body is a big, BIG problem. Before the widespread advent of antibiotics you see a lot of people dying from clothing and other poo poo carried into the wound by the bullet and deposited deep inside their abdomen or a limb. A scrap of wool lodged inside your torso is going to cause a nasty, almost invariably fatal infection.

Arrows and bullets also have entirely different reactions on the bones that they hit. Bones that get hit by bullets are awful injuries that without modern medicine are going to lead to amputations in the best case. Amputations weren't the preferred method for "fixing" wounded arms and legs in the black powder era because of infection, it was because it was the only way they had to treat the wound. Amputation turned the horrifically complex injury of a completely shattered long bone (as in, your lower leg is basically just a bunch of bone shards in a meat sock) and turned it into a relatively much simpler injury that could be treated - namely the amputated stump.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The official ranking of things not to be killed by in war is nerve gas, nuclear weapons, arrows, a guy with a shovel, and finally bullets as the least worst.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

zoux posted:

Be a student in a UN run school in Gaza.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

How many wars involved the HRE that did not also involve part of the HRE fighting another part of the HRE? Genuinely curious.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dublish posted:

How many wars involved the HRE that did not also involve part of the HRE fighting another part of the HRE? Genuinely curious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna was kinda a big deal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That well known Lacedaemonian battle cry: Do you even lift?

So that's what the paean sounded like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stairmaster posted:

The official ranking of things not to be killed by in war is nerve gas, nuclear weapons, arrows, a guy with a shovel, and finally bullets as the least worst.

I dunno, very high up on that list for me is getting killed by steam. When reading books about naval conflicts in the 20th century, the parts that always horrify me the most are the descriptions of men killed and injured by rupturing boilers and steam pipes. Not a good way to go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getting killed by nukes would be fine. It's not like you're gonna feel a thing. Now surviving a nuke that's when things get bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, very high up on that list for me is getting killed by steam. When reading books about naval conflicts in the 20th century, the parts that always horrify me the most are the descriptions of men killed and injured by rupturing boilers and steam pipes. Not a good way to go.

It's always been rough for navy guys, splinters in the age of sail and in the 20th century your battleship can easily become a massive steel coffin for you in a matter of minutes depending on the decks between you and the exit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's always been rough for navy guys, splinters in the age of sail and in the 20th century your battleship can easily become a massive steel coffin for you in a matter of minutes depending on the decks between you and the exit.

No lie, I have a great personal fear of drowning. When I go, I hope it's ultimately like the poor sailors on that Argentinian sub - dead faster than their brains would have been able to process what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’ve kind of got the opposite fear. A while back I read a paper where some neurologists were looking at basically the final shutdown process for the brain. There’s a whole slew of chemicals and poo poo that basically work to help you process your body shutting off, and they think that process might be behind a lot of the odd near death mystical experiences people have reported. I’d much rather get that final full experience than the immediate lights out that catastrophic brain trauma would lead to.