Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Rodney King did run from the cops, u guys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

What gets me is the amount of genuine shock and dismay at all of the people making racist comments about this story. Are they only interviewing tourists, or something? Who sees a story about an Indigenous person in 2018 and doesn't immediately react with "oh, this should lead to some thoughtful and nuanced discussion"?

e:

So now my question is how many of the 200 or so who did show up came from a First Nation.

They said they sent out 700 invitations and 200 showed up, 15% of Sask is aboriginal so 105 invited, 30 showed up if it's even. Defense only had 14 challenges so 14 or less were in the 200 or not all indigenous people look native.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

Rodney King did run from the cops, u guys...

Travyon Martin was wearing a hoodie and eating skittles in the wrong neighborhood, you know.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That post wasn't directed specifically at you PT6A but at the thread in general I should have spelled it out better but I was trying to finish my post in time to catch the bus.

But it still needed to be said to hopefully head off the 4 page "kill all whites/rurals/farmers/anyone but woke urbanite STEMlords" circle jerk that happens every single loving time something like this is posted.

And no robbery in itself should not be a capital offense. I never once said that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

If you want to get really pissed off, read about how the RCMP treated Boushie's family when they went to break the news he was killed.

It's okay they cleared themselves of wrongdoing

https://globalnews.ca/news/3843411/colten-boushie-family-rcmp-clearing-themselves-of-wrongdoing-saskatchewan/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EvilJoven you're a stupid poo poo.

Quelle bonne surprise.

I guess if they weren't robbers they wouldn't have gotten shot?!!? I guess if you don't commit crime bad things don't happen to you???? I guess if you aren't raised in a lovely household you wouldn't resort to such things??????

Aaaaaaaaaah my loving head.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/958121294221934592

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

And no robbery in itself should not be a capital offense. I never once said that.

Then why does it in any way matter whether they may have previously committed a robbery or been engaged in one when he was shot?

Either something about that is a mitigating factor in the shooting, or it's not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Then why does it in any way matter whether they may have previously committed a robbery or been engaged in one when he was shot?

Either something about that is a mitigating factor in the shooting, or it's not.

To be 100% fair to him, and utterly pedantic, he didn't say it, he merely implied it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This court case should/will come down to whether or not the farmer can justify that his life was in enough danger to loving shoot someone. If the guy was stealing, that's irrelevant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Les hijabitants

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Maybe they use the previous robbery to paint a picture that he was currently committing a robbery which helps get the 2nd degree murder thing lessened to manslaughter? Then maybe they use the robbing thing and the fact that they'd tried to ram Stanley with their SUV to show that it'd be reasonable for Staney to think Boushie had malevolent intentions with the gun that was right beside him in the car. The kid reaches for it, Stanley shoots him. I'm not defending him, more just trying to guess what their defense is going to be.

quote:

After Colten's body fell out of the car, both Sheldon and Ms. Stanley say they saw the barrel of a .22 calibre bolt-action rifle lying near his body, with the stock and trigger missing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

That post wasn't directed specifically at you PT6A but at the thread in general I should have spelled it out better but I was trying to finish my post in time to catch the bus.

But it still needed to be said to hopefully head off the 4 page "kill all whites/rurals/farmers/anyone but woke urbanite STEMlords" circle jerk that happens every single loving time something like this is posted.

Kill all whites/rurals/farmers/your truck equity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anecdotally farms can be pretty isolated and if something goes down you’re likely to be on your own. Cops will take at least a half hour to respond, it can be dark as poo poo and if you’re out by yourself working you can feel pretty vulnerable.

That also doesn’t change that the shot was fired into the back of his loving head so yeah any kind of self-defense should be out the window

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2022

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If all rurals were dead that would've never happened

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Maybe they use the previous robbery to paint a picture that he was currently committing a robbery which helps get the 2nd degree murder thing lessened to manslaughter? Then maybe they use the robbing thing and the fact that they'd tried to ram Stanley with their SUV to show that it'd be reasonable for Staney to think Boushie had malevolent intentions with the gun that was right beside him in the car. The kid reaches for it, Stanley shoots him. I'm not defending him, more just trying to guess what their defense is going to be.

Fair enough. The whole "shot in the back of the head" thing makes that a bit more difficult I'd think. Did the police find and identify the .22?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fair enough. The whole "shot in the back of the head" thing makes that a bit more difficult I'd think. Did the police find and identify the .22?

There was no gun present and they only have Stanley’s word that the car ‘tried to ram him’

Edit: might have had my info missed up. I thought they only found the gun stock but not the gun, but it appears it might have been the opposite

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 30, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Yeah. He was in the driver's seat when he got shot behind the left ear so he could have been turning to reach for the gun or awkwardly trying to point the barrel out the window or he got shot at 90 degrees but through the back of the head.

quote:

Const. Terry Heroux, an officer with the RCMP forensics section, alleges that, based on tire impressions in the Stanley yard, it appears the Ford Escape had driven to the barn or shop where the quad was stored, backed up and turned around and went toward the house and then hit the Stanleys' SUV.

"Boushie had what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the back of his head behind his left ear," the document says.

"A long-barreled .22-calibre bolt action rifle with a tubular magazine was located a short distance away from Colten Boushie's body which was seized. The rifle did not have a stock attached, and appeared to have a live round in the chamber."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/rcmp-search-warrant-early-colten-boushie-1.3820632

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The stock of the rifle was found at another farm that had been burgled earlier that day.

I'm surprised a thread as informed as this didn't know that the deceased or one of his party was apparently in possession of a firearm, or at least enough of one that it could still be fired.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My sincerest apologies

Here's an interesting thread
https://twitter.com/CBCOlivia/status/958377160573636613

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 30, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/battlefordsNOW/status/958376105953538049

Crown is saying they were trying to steal a quad so... aspersions.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Failed tech startup bro turned think tank guru writes reasonable and agreeable opinion on the need for a National Data strategy:

Jim Balsillie posted:

More than any other activity undertaken this week by Canadians, we will generate massive amounts of data from the arrays of electronic tools now enabling our lives. This data is collected by unregulated digital infrastructures that power increasing aspects of our country. Data flows have transformed how businesses do commerce and people connect globally, making data the most valuable asset in today’s economy.

Data has emerged as the invaluable conduit for central aspects of national public policy priorities, such as: health, transport, defence and security, city infrastructures, and many other areas. Whoever controls the data today controls who and what interacts with that data. It’s critical that Canada designs and implements a National Data Strategy to protect our prosperity, security and values.

Internet traffic is growing rapidly. The U.S. Trade office reported a 1,200-per-cent growth in the volume of data flows in the past decade, mostly captured and owned by large U.S. companies. Businesses are using cross-border data flows to access new global markets and information, interact globally with their customers and communicate with suppliers along the food chain. They are also using it to collect personal and private information and sell it to highest bidder.

Facebook, one of the world’s most valuable companies, was built exclusively on the principle of mass surveillance. Its revenues come from collecting and selling its users’ personal information to advertisers. Facebook recently registered a patent that allows the company to read facial expressions from user screens so that it can better push content that drives whatever emotions they want their users to experience.

The U.S. Department of Commerce recently stated that “we may be underestimating the economic significance of data flows.” Of particular interest was the enormous value of “digital data and services delivered to and from end-users at $0 market price, including free email services, search engine services, map and direction services, and social media services.” Sound familiar?

Those services are provided by Google, to whom Toronto Waterfront recently gave the keys to the most valuable unused space in Canada’s largest city. In return, Google and Alphabet committed to spending “up to $50 million” on consultation and PR, laying down a barrage of pseudo-tech justifications about creating “efficiency” for the residents of Toronto. Google says it wants to “organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful” but they maintain exclusive control over all data collected on its users and show no signs of abandoning this business model.

It need not be this way. Governments can and should ensure that citizens control the data they and their institutions create. This is why Canada must move quickly to begin developing a National Data Strategy.

Beyond private companies manipulating the psychological well-being of unsuspecting citizens, data is also used by public policy organizations to maintain national prosperity and security. This includes our health care system, police departments and military, research labs, electricity grids, and much more. As a sovereign nation, our policy-makers cannot be blind to the fact Canadians have the right to control and use the data we create for our sustained benefit.

A National Data Strategy is a critical precondition for Ottawa’s upcoming National Cyber Strategy, which is said to address the myriad of cyber threats to our public and private assets, as well ensure that our military maintains sovereign capability in a digital world. The detailed elements will require marshalling of experts in: open technologies, data sciences, procurement, competition, standard-setting, strategic regulations, trade agreements, ethics in algorithms, IP, governance, etc.

Without a National Data Strategy, Canada risks becoming not just a cheap tech branch plant economy for engineers and computer scientists, but also a client-state, politically and militarily subordinate to countries that are sophisticated on data flows and the algorithms that harness them.

Today’s big data owners are already capable of manipulating not just economic and political outcomes but also our mental health, all the while remaining unaccountable for public good. That’s why it’s so troubling that an unelected board of Waterfront Toronto chose to keep the Quayside contract secret so that the citizens cannot see how the company plans to collect and use the data for extracting rents and manipulating residents’ behaviours.

Canadians need to be formally included in these new systems of digital governance because it affects their entire lives. The big data war is global in scope and smart leaders know the stakes are high. French President Emmanuel Macron recently called for a creation of a data strategy for the European Union to ensure the prosperity, sovereignty and well-being of EU citizens.

The digital economy of 2018 is different. Control over data and networks allows incumbent firms to hinder entry and extract rents from customers. Emerging companies might be able to work around existing IP, but not around lack of access to data. A National Data Strategy would ensure that cross-border data and information flows are in the interest of Canadians and that there is an explicit treatment of competition in the data sections of our free-trade agreements, including a competitive access to data flowing through large online platforms that have de facto utility status.

A National Data Strategy would ensure that the ownership of data generated by Canadians would always remain with the public and in the public interest of Canada. This way, Canadian citizens and our elected officials can ensure that foreign companies do not hold us hostage, imposing fees for using services that we ourselves have produced.‎

Designing and executing a National Data Strategy in Canada will not be easy. Current Canadian policy-makers’ colonial supplicant attitude towards business has eclipsed any similar approaches from previous governments, as demonstrated by: recent partnering with Facebook for “election integrity”; courting Amazon to set up its second headquarters in Canada and putting Google in a position to control the data of our largest city. A National Data Strategy would quickly expose the enormous economic costs and social risks of these measures to Canadians.

A National Data Strategy requires independent and sovereign thought and technical know-how. We live in a world where foreign data companies no longer want to sell Canadians only products, services or even platforms. In our largest city, they want to become infrastructure.

What Canada needs is for the small handful of very smart civil servants and politicians who launched the National IP Strategy last year to prevail again against their oppressively colonial peers. This effort will require support from concerned citizens and thought leaders who generate valuable data with every click, swipe and move they make.

Jim Balsillie is a co-founder of the Institute for New Economic Thinking and former Chairman and co-CEO of RIM.

I assume that nothing will come of the National IP Strategy seeing as I haven't heard of it before. I haven't read the Naylor Report on basic research in Canada, which is likely also important and will probably lead to hardly any significant policy changes in the next 3 years. Having said that, it would be nice to pump more money into basic research at universities and government labs and nationalize the benefits. Similarly, if anyone is going to be collecting binders full of reams of data on citizens, it ought to be heavily regulated and transparent government agencies with strict privacy protections - which pretty much was the case for the census until someone hosed that up.

Also, :lol: at Jim Balsillie writing the bolded sentence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As endlessly fascinating as speculating about the facts of Colten Boushie's murder is, it still has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that peremptory challenges were used to select a jury with no First Nations members. Regardless of the facts of the case, that will permanently colour the interpretation of the verdict if it's an acquittal and contribute to anger within First Nations communities, whether justified or not.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

R v. Gayle posted:

The Crown should exercise peremptory challenges in a manner that is in keeping with its quasi-judicial role. The Crown's exercise of discretion in relation to peremptory challenges is not immune from judicial scrutiny. If the exercise of the power is at odds with the quasi-judicial nature of the Crown's duty, or at odds with the basic rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the court can and should intervene. In particular, public confidence in the administration of justice would be seriously undermined if Crown counsel were permitted to exercise the power of peremptory challenge on racial or ethnic grounds. In this case, however, the accused had not made out a case for intervention. No objection was taken at trial to the Crown's exercise of peremptory challenges or to the composition of the jury that was selected to try the case. For the issue to be considered, it is imperative that it be raised at trial, so as to provide an opportunity to conduct a thorough review of all the relevant facts. The accused could not raise for the first time on appeal the issue of the alleged violation of his Charter rights by the Crown's exercise of peremptory challenges.

Does the Defence have a similar obligation?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

As endlessly fascinating as speculating about the facts of Colten Boushie's murder is, it still has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that peremptory challenges were used to select a jury with no First Nations members. Regardless of the facts of the case, that will permanently colour the interpretation of the verdict if it's an acquittal and contribute to anger within First Nations communities, whether justified or not.

Spoiler alert, there's going to be anger any way this goes

https://twitter.com/battlefordsNOW/status/958386763428278274

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Does the Defence have a similar obligation?

You forgot to include the Drewjitsu signal in your post.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reince Penis posted:

https://twitter.com/aradwanski/status/956678846966829056

I wonder if there was .... maybe not embezzlement but overbilling from the party lawyer who was Brown's friend and not invited to the executive meeting. Hmmmmm :thunk:

As a follow up:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/vic-fedeli-will-not-seek-leadership-bid-for-ontario-pcs/article37786158/

quote:

Vic Fedeli will not seek leadership bid for Ontario PCs

Vic Fedeli has announced that he is no longer seeking the leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

Mr. Fedeli made the announcement at a news conference on Tuesday morning, just four days after Tory MPPs named him interim leader and recommended to the party executive that he carry the Tories into the June 7 provincial election.

Mr. Fedeli had fully intended to seek the leadership. But he said he has changed his mind after just four days on the Opposition Leader's Office.

He said he needs to devote all of his time addressing multiple problems, including questions about the actual number of party members.

"I plan to root out the rot," Mr. Fedeli said.

I think we're firmly into 'scuttle the party and start over' territory with the PCPO

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Go go Trillium party!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A friend of mine is making the case that Doug Ford is mostly running for OPCP leadership as a sneaky backdoor way of running for Mayor of Toronto.

https://twitter.com/derspiny/status/958168054873165824

https://twitter.com/derspiny/status/958168268119990272

https://twitter.com/derspiny/status/958168432922505217

https://twitter.com/derspiny/status/958168849580548101

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh don’t forget he’s deep in organized crime.

uh I feel like that might be crossing a line if you don’t have proof.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah also I didn't want to nit pick but "He was probably the brains behind his brother’s run at mayor" is demonstrably untrue. It was Kouvalis who was the brains behind it.

Kouvalis did it again for John Tory in 2014 and won.

2014 was the Rob Ford campaign that Doug was the brains behind.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Oh don’t forget he’s deep in organized crime.

uh I feel like that might be crossing a line if you don’t have proof.

Yeah, usually if you have mob ties youre running for mayor of Montreal.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

... you privileged fucks ...

tell us more about your multiple vehicles, expensive bicycling gear, home and wifes business

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

vyelkin posted:

This is completely unsurprising because people of colour are treated as exceptions who are defined by their race but white people are treated as the norm who are defined by their beliefs. Every single indigenous person was considered potentially biased because they share a race with the deceased, but yet every single white person was not considered potentially biased because they share a race with the accused.

Except the defense gets 14 freebies for whatever reason they so choose, as does the Crown. Crown has a few more limitations, but my understanding is that any Native appearing people were excluded as part of the freebies (and I agree the reason was 'because they look native'). Unless you're advocating for removal of the 14 free exclusions I'm not sure what your point is. The crown most certainly excluded older white rural dudes as much as they possibly could with their freebies.

I don't think the complete lack of native persons on the jury is a good thing, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

tell us more about your multiple vehicles, expensive bicycling gear, home and wifes business

One beat up second hand truck, my wife works for someone else and lol youre mad I have a few nice bikes.

I bet you're also upset I have a fridge and a flat screen TV.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think the real question is: Would you fire three rounds at someone who tried to steal them?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Naw i think your a fuckin joke pretending youre somehow less privledged than the other posters in this thread because you like to pretend youre blue collar after washing out of a computer toucher job

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the real question is: Would you fire three rounds at someone who tried to steal them?

He admitted he's scared of a 10-year-old kid previously, so I'm gonna say "probably yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jury trial is weird for most cases. Dude killed someone fleeing the scene of an alleged potential burglary which is not in any possible scenario deserving of using deadly force. The only question at this point was if the farmer purposefully shot to kill because he was so angry that his property may have been at risk he wanted to murder someone, or if it was "just" insanely negligent use of a firearm.