Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Milotic posted:

My [37 M] sister [39 F] kissed while having an emotional breakdown and then apologize. Should I do something?

A good Redditor:

Yeah file this under "temporary insanity" and never bring it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Not everyone can afford to be picky about where they work.

Some people seem think you can just go out pick a job from the job tree. I find people who get this mind are usually the ones get lucky and get into a good spot early on in their work career, and been in the same job their whole life, so don't understand job hoping and taking a job because its there, not because its your dream job.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Wouldn't resetting PTO at the end of the year incentivize people to hoard it all year for an emergency or special opportunity and then blow it right before it resets making the problem of people already wanting to take off for the holidays even worse?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
On the other hand, people who can afford to even be the least bit picky would then immediately jump ship from companies with garbage policies. I guess it depends on their industry but it actively encourages the hiring of people with the least marketable skills.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Wouldn't resetting PTO at the end of the year incentivize people to hoard it all year for an emergency or special opportunity and then blow it right before it resets making the problem of people already wanting to take off for the holidays even worse?

My company addresses this by basically giving up the second half of December as wasted time

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If a company was bad to work for no one would work for them and they'd go out of business. Basic market forces force all employers to treat staff well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If a company was bad to work for no one would work for them and they'd go out of business. Basic market forces force all employers to treat staff well.

lol

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Baronjutter posted:

And that's why Amazon is circling the drain!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I assume this is sarcasm. But obviously places like Wal-mart can have garbage policies since the supply of unskilled workers is way higher than the demand. But for companies that require skilled workers where the supply is much lower, it greatly benefits them to provide good benefits to their employees.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

loquacius posted:

My company addresses this by basically giving up the second half of December as wasted time

I work for the government on a military base and we just close down from around Dec 20th to after New Years. Everyone has to use their leave, but we get a pretty generous amount as it is, anyway and if you really want to work they have a clean up crew that does bullshit assignments during that time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Three Olives posted:

My company resets at the start of the year, and the last two weeks are very dead. This past year, I think three people total were in the office between Christmas and New Years. Typically, there are 15-20 in the office. Almost every other company we work with is like this too, so just not much gets done that week.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Companies generally doesn't like people accuring too much time off because its a liability on their books (since the vast majority pays out the time when an employee leaves, and employees could leave at any time so the money has to be there). Hence there's all sort of PTO caps and "use it or lose it" policies.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bamhand posted:

But for companies that require skilled workers where the supply is much lower, it greatly benefits them to provide good benefits to their employees.

As someone mentioned Amazon is notoriously horrible to work for, like beyond awful. And I don't mean warehouse employees, like headquarter employees. Apparently they pay you really well and there are nice office perks so they still manage to hire plenty of skilled people but apparently the treat even people like highly skilled and incredibly well paid programmers like absolute poo poo.

Oddly enough Walmart apparently treats corporate employees pretty well, like even middle managers are allowed to use their corporate jets and even bump higher level employees from them if there is a business need. I guess they kind of have to if they want to recruit top talent to Bentonville.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 30, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Right, Amazon's benefits package is "we pay you a gently caress ton more money than anyone else will". But it's not like having lovely policies costs the company nothing. I suppose that company that resets your PTO to 0 every year on your join date could pay very well or something. In general though, companies trying to attract highly skilled workers try to have very good benefits because it's good for the company.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Three Olives posted:

Oddly enough Walmart apparently treats corporate employees pretty well, like even middle managers are allowed to use their corporate jets and even bump higher level employees from them if there is a business need. I guess they kind of have to if they want to recruit top talent to Bentonville.

Counterpoint: they enforce shared hotel rooms. gently caress that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My company cuts you down to 80 hours on your anniversary so you're encouraged to both know when that is and take time off such that you have <79 hours accrued at your anniversary. We have a couple guys who regularly lose out on 20-40 PTO hours every year despite knowing this and having anniversary dates in like september/october. :psyduck:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
We can carry 240 over every year. You have to use everything else. The government is nuts like that. We get a lot of leave depending on how long we work there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What sucks is when you have so much vacation time to burn, but your company discourages you from taking it.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Yawgmoth posted:

My company cuts you down to 80 hours on your anniversary so you're encouraged to both know when that is and take time off such that you have <79 hours accrued at your anniversary. We have a couple guys who regularly lose out on 20-40 PTO hours every year despite knowing this and having anniversary dates in like september/october. :psyduck:

Haha I would tell them to get hosed and take my "lost" vacation. Do people really tolerate this BS?

Company I work for you just have a PTO balance that accrues to the max amount for you as you work. It's year-round and doesn't expire so no need to mass take vacations in December or any other such nonsense. You can also go up to a week into negative if something comes up. Once it built up to the maximum amount (say 4 weeks) it just doesn't go higher anymore. Why is that complicated to implement for other companies?

If I interviewed for a company with some crazy PTO scheme where you actually lose your hours I would literally laugh and end the conversation right there.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 30, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Some people are just incredibly petty assholes that will pinch the weirdest pennies, while simultaneously blowing thousands of dollars on bullshit. I used to work for a company that, instead of just capping how much PTO you could accrue, would reset your PTO hours to zero on your hiring anniversary. This turbofucked the guys who got hired in December because every year they wouldn't have any vacation time for going to visit people for the holidays.

Jesus loving gently caress. I hope this company no longer exists. That's one of the most evil, most reprehensible things I have ever seen a company do, short of blatant human rights abuses like underpaying undocumented immigrants, covering up sexual assault, or overworking children.

Three Olives posted:

Shockingly, people want to take vacation during the holidays to spend time with their family and a decent company that doesn't hate its workforce understands this. I work at the headquarters of a major Fortune 500 company and the last 2 weeks the office are literally dead because most people take it off. No one cares and it's expected.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bamhand posted:

On the other hand, people who can afford to even be the least bit picky would then immediately jump ship from companies with garbage policies. I guess it depends on their industry but it actively encourages the hiring of people with the least marketable skills.

the vast, vast majority of jobs don't require competing for the absolute cream of the crop. it's not as cost-efficient as the people doing it often imagine but it's perfectly possible to build a viable longterm business model out of burning through whatever warm body comes through the door barely paying them and not really giving a poo poo whether their output is great or barely adequate.

I know somebody working for company that's been going decades hiring only people with masters' degrees to be basically movers and then just laying off anyone in the company who ever gets an injury, apparently they make enough surplus money to gently caress around and management would rather play dumb little games trying to rip off their employees than pocket the difference themselves.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Speaking of cheating and people that peaced the gently caress out of the thread, whatever happened to Blue Train? That dude was all for cheating, wasn't he?

He's making fun of misogynists and worrying about lowtax.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rad Russian posted:

Haha I would tell them to get hosed and take my "lost" vacation. Do people really tolerate this BS?

Company I work for you just have a PTO balance that accrues to the max amount for you as you work. It's year-round and doesn't expire so no need to mass take vacations in December or any other such nonsense. You can also go up to a week into negative if something comes up. Once it built up to the maximum amount (say 4 weeks) it just doesn't go higher anymore. Why is that complicated to implement for other companies?

If I interviewed for a company with some crazy PTO scheme where you actually lose your hours I would literally laugh and end the conversation right there.
Okay so tell me what's the difference between "on your anniversary, if PTO > 80 then PTO = 80, else do nothing" and "if PTO = 80, no accrual, else gain X PTO" for you? both require you to take time off at regular intervals to not lose out on PTO.

If you interviewed with us and you got all goony over the PTO schematic we would laugh at you as soon as the door closed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vargatron posted:

What sucks is when you have so much vacation time to burn, but your company discourages you from taking it.

yeah the smart bad bosses will offer tons of benefits on paper and then make crystal clear they'll can you if you ever have the temerity to use them.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT PTO CHAT.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Ouhei posted:

OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT PTO CHAT.
Yeah its been a whole loving page now

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

WELL THE FUCKIN' DOOR IS THAT WAY M8

Ask me about my 3 weeks of vacation leave on top of 3 weeks sick leave.

Edit: Oh poo poo, thought I was in the Working in IT thread, sorry.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah the smart bad bosses will offer tons of benefits on paper and then make crystal clear they'll can you if you ever have the temerity to use them.

This is why America is a poo poo country lol

I can't believe you put up with such garbage work security

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
In exchange we get really bad healthcare.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I (24F) can't deal with my Aspergers Fiance (26M), and I feel bad about it

quote:

My fiance and I have been together for a year, and we're expecting our first baby, but his Aspie behavior is driving a wedge between us and I can't keep doing this.

Since conception, I have thrown up every day, multiple times a day, and had the worst fatigue I've ever experienced. Upon telling him this, he proceeds to nag at me for "just laying around all day", whilst I couldn't keep anything down and would fall asleep sitting up. He even went to my OB appointments with me, and while I was talking, he interrupted me, to tell the doctor that I was "laying around all the time". When she said that I shouldn't do that, he got super smug, and then got mad because I said we weren't having a fight in the middle of the doctors office and that we could talk about it later.

Anything I do, I'm the bad guy. He can't seem to balance home life and working a full time job at all. When he went for his sleep study at the VA clinic two hours away, he came home to immediately chastise me. And he justifies it by saying I snapped at him often during my first trimester.

I go for a therapists appointment tomorrow for my mental health issues (BPD, OCD, and anxiety), and he's said at some point he wants to come along to address some of the "issues" he's been having with me. When I told him no, he got very upset. I also don't want him going to any more OB appointments with me. I want to have a good relationship with my doctor and I don't need someone else speaking for me.

Honestly, he's taken a lot of joy out of my pregnancy. He's been zero support and he's not respectful at all. He gets mad when he comes in from work at 4:00 in the morning and is super loud, and I get irritated that he woke me up. Yesterday I came down with the flu, and he got mad because I told him he wasn't being helpful. "Do you want me to baby you?!" He asked. I responded "I'm running a fever and I don't feel good. I can't cook or do housework. I need help."

I love him, but he doesn't see any of his own faults. I've worked extremely hard to deal with my own issues, and I'm tired of being treated like the bad guy. This pregnancy has been hard and I have no support. I went NC with ny narcissist family a while ago, so I don't have a lot of people to lean on.

TL;DR Aspie fiance has put a massive strain on our relationship, and I feel like I'm getting zero support.

No jury in the world......

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Only one year together and you already have a kid?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Vargatron posted:

And engaged.

That relationship should have been nipped in the bud.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

And engaged.

That relationship should have been nipped in the bud.

Much like their child

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I mean, look at what a catch he is. No way she could let that pass her by

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

La Brea Carpet posted:

I (24F) can't deal with my Aspergers Fiance (26M), and I feel bad about it

No jury in the world......

quote:

I love him

Why

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

well if I had to guess:

quote:

my mental health issues (BPD, OCD, and anxiety)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he actually has Asperger's his behavior is somewhat understandable though still not acceptable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

She has BPD, OCD, and anxiety and decided to marry and have a child with an autistic person? I think this relationship ends in murder/suicide.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's gonna be a treat when he has to deal with a screaming, needy baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He's gonna be a treat when he has to deal with a screaming, needy baby.

OTOH, she's had a year of practice.