Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Chainclaw posted:

You've already got some great answers from other people in this thread. I just wanted to throw in a couple more things I wish I knew earlier or did slightly different:

If you decide you want a 1U row at all, be aware that there are two different form factors. This is dumb but it's reality and you gotta deal with it if you go 1U.

Modulation sources are going to come in two flavors: those that have a minimum value of 0 volts, and those that have a negative number for the minimum voltage. This means your modulation inputs are going to suffer the same problem. You can live with this early on, but the sooner you get utilities to help, the happier you'll be. The Maths outputs 0 to 8 volts when cycling and acting as an LFO, this Doepfer A-147-2 outputs -4 to 4 volts for triangle, sign, and rectangle shapes.

Getting something to help tune and keep things in tune will help a lot. I'm nearly two years into the Eurorack hole, and I finally got an in-rack tuner in the last month: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-digital-tuner. Yes, it's silly to have an in-rack tuner and you can probably get away with any other tuner, but Eurorack by its nature is silly, so just embrace getting goofy modules. I'm much happier now than when I was tuning with an out of rack tuner.

You can't really make mistakes with what modules you acquire. There are just going to be modules that will enable you to do a lot more with what you already have. Yeah, ten sound sources and no modulation sources or filters is going to be dumb to a lot of people, but chase your modular bliss. You wouldn't be thinking of getting into modular if you wanted to make perfect decisions on the hardware you get.

i disagree with all of this, but these are valid viewpoints

t h e b e a u t y o f m o d u l a r :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Here is my track for Electric Bugaloo's mixtape: https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/portmanteau/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

So Math posted:

Here is my track for Electric Bugaloo's mixtape: https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/portmanteau/

Nice! Sounds like the soundtrack to a Cyriak short except happier.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Nice! Sounds like the soundtrack to a Cyriak short except happier.

:eyepop: that's surprisingly specific, but it works.

there haven't been any further submission details yet have there? I made a track but it was short and bad so I made another and that one was also short and bad, but if I submit both it's almost like I made a single, longer, better track right? :negative:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been mostly making sample-based hip-hop beats lately and using my Minilogue/Bass Big Muff for basslines so I don't think that would really fit with the theme of this compilation haha.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

MrSargent posted:

I have been mostly making sample-based hip-hop beats lately and using my Minilogue/Bass Big Muff for basslines so I don't think that would really fit with the theme of this compilation haha.

There's a theme? It's just a fun goon thing to be an excuse to make some music and put it together, no need to over think it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

toadee posted:

There's a theme? It's just a fun goon thing to be an excuse to make some music and put it together, no need to over think it.

yeah, the theme this time was "dunno, like, whatever, man"

anyway since there wasn't a theme (kinda wish there was) I decided to go with a self-imposed limitation and only used a single synth and I picked the ARP 2600 V since it looks cool bleeps and bloops.

here's what I ended up with
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/in-the-future
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/district-26o1

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah the "single synth" thing was kind of a theme and I'm using my MC-202 but I'm also using drums because w/e it's not a competition or anything, there's no rules.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't do a single-synth thing at all, and I like my track too much to change it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I didn't do a single-synth thing at all, and I like my track too much to change it.

Are you referring to the phone dial tone vocoder track? If so, I agree, don't change it a bit. Excellent stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are you referring to the phone dial tone vocoder track? If so, I agree, don't change it a bit. Excellent stuff.

Yep that's the one! Thanks!

I'm seriously thinking I may expand that into an EP or something. I've got some other songs that, when you kinda stick them all together, would work as a story about a young couple who died in a car accident and woke up as computerized minds in a spaceship full of hibernating people.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh and just a funny side note: I totally didn't intend for that to sound like the "phone off the hook" or dial tone sound initially. It's actually just some random synth from the new Arturia collection run through the beat slicer in Effectrix, and it just accidentally happened that the first interval being played sounded just like a dial tone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh and just a funny side note: I totally didn't intend for that to sound like the "phone off the hook" or dial tone sound initially. It's actually just some random synth from the new Arturia collection run through the beat slicer in Effectrix, and it just accidentally happened that the first interval being played sounded just like a dial tone.

Ha, really? Wow, that was perfect to the point of me wondering if you sampled it. Good show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was actually in the track for a while and I was working on other stuff before I realized how much it sounded like a dial tone. Just a weird coincidence!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Your Computer posted:

I picked the ARP 2600 V since it looks cool bleeps and bloops.
glad 2 c some1 who know what really important in life :smugdog:
a n d i t s h o w s

also poo poo we had 2 use a synth? guess i gotta throw the s612 track i been workin on out or

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Your Computer posted:

anyway since there wasn't a theme (kinda wish there was) I decided to go with a self-imposed limitation and only used a single synth and I picked the ARP 2600 V since it looks cool bleeps and bloops.

This loving rules.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

yeah, the theme this time was "dunno, like, whatever, man"

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/in-the-future
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/district-26o1

These are both great!

I'm loving the fact that we've got four (I think?) tracks already and none of them is even close to a stereotypical dance track.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys :unsmith: It feels good to actually post something for once.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

a stereotypical dance track.

if i made those id be a boring rich fucker instead of a boring shitposter😎

srsly tho, does it gotta be synths? i was gonna use my sp-303 and s612 and sample the jokers who turned there poo poo in weeks early procrastination ftw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

srsly tho, does it gotta be synths? i was gonna use my sp-303 and s612 and sample the jokers who turned there poo poo in weeks early procrastination ftw

Not that I have any particular say-so, but afaic go right the heck ahead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
samplers are just funny synths

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Your Computer posted:

samplers are just funny synths

samplers are just synths with user defined oscillators

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

samplers are just synths with user defined oscillators

this is almost as stupid as eno saying theyre just fancy mellotrons

does no one give a gently caress about semiotics :milk:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i love mellotrons, my friend has one

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i have a mellotron too, it's called a digitakt

#fistbumpeno

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

i have a mellotron too, it's called kontakt

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Plavski posted:

i have a mellotron too, it's called a contact mic and a Death Metal pedal

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the M-tron. Perfect recreation and it sounds fantastic. Haven't tried the M-tron pro or M-tron 2 or whatever it's called.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

:allears: That's a fantastic idea.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So I'm selling some of the Eurorack poo poo

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sorry, you need to make at least fifty posts before you can view this subforum

:(

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Are you up for shipping all the 1U tiles to the UK?

e: I'll log into Muffs and contact you there. :downs:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

toadee posted:

Sorry, you need to make at least fifty posts before you can view this subforum

:(

Just lol if you don't spend all your life posting on Muffs and not making any actual music.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are they ok with emptyquotes and lols?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldstench posted:

Just lol if you don't spend all your life posting on Muffs and not making any actual music.

:emptyquote:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Oldstench posted:

More like Oldtuneless. (sorry)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

NonzeroCircle posted:

More like Oldtuneless. (sorry)

Melodies and tunes are just the music establishment keeping my new form of music down. I've invented my own scale and harmony and am the best composer in the world using it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

stillvisions posted:

Melodies and tunes are just the music establishment keeping my new form of music down. I've invented my own scale and harmony and am the best composer in the world using it.

"Aleksi Perälä, whose work for Rephlex and his own AP Musik has continuously sought to push electronic music's boundaries, has created what might be his most extraordinary idea to date. Alongside Grant Wilson Claridge (who runs Rephlex) he has invented a custom musical scale called The Colundi Sequence, an alternative to the standard musical scales most music is composed from. Rather than dividing the keyboard into octaves with semitones, the pair chose specific frequencies to work with, making a scale of 128 resonant frequencies. These frequencies were selected through a variety of methods, including experimentation and taking from ideas on philosophy, psychology, science, human bio-resonance and mysticism."

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
And a lotta weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

wayfinder posted:

Aleksi Perälä

I skimmed over the name and at the end of the paragraph said to myself, "I bet he's Finnish".