Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i prefer CAVE dwellers

it sounds more pejorative

that's some good poo poo. gonna use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
attention: tori

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogUSA/status/956944782093438976

“The facts remain unchanged. The actions of the operator were not and are not criminal in nature,” McCarthy said. He declined to address the requirement that drivers yield in situations like what MassBike described.

Jake Wark, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley, said prosecutors saw no reason to pursue charges.

“The investigation did not reveal driver impairment, distraction, excessive speed, failure to signal, or disregard of a known risk,” Wark said.

“What it did make plain were the challenges inherent in operating such a large vehicle on city streets. As prosecutors, we welcome measures to make our roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians, but we have an ethical obligation not to charge a case we know we can’t prove.”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

I feel like the whole Strava heatmap thing is a way overblown flavor of the week story with the usual poor/incorrect information

https://twitter.com/WiredUK/status/958084308924760065

ok

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no matter how bad you think it is, the reality is always worse than that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol

was that really a data leak? isnt that just information they have out all the time? or did i miss something about their db being hacked

i think the strava thing is overblown in terms of mattering. all foreign nations already know everything about us bases. if they had access to realtime tracking of everyones movements that could be bad from an attack pov, but otherwise nothing is really going to cmoe of it as everyone with means to do damage already knows.

theres another conversation to be had about ~data driven tracking~ and privacy in general which is actually a problem.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/willknight/status/958231499509149697

:prepop:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

attention: tori

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogUSA/status/956944782093438976

“The facts remain unchanged. The actions of the operator were not and are not criminal in nature,” McCarthy said. He declined to address the requirement that drivers yield in situations like what MassBike described.

Jake Wark, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley, said prosecutors saw no reason to pursue charges.

“The investigation did not reveal driver impairment, distraction, excessive speed, failure to signal, or disregard of a known risk,” Wark said.

“What it did make plain were the challenges inherent in operating such a large vehicle on city streets. As prosecutors, we welcome measures to make our roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians, but we have an ethical obligation not to charge a case we know we can’t prove.”

Drivers lawfully operating their vehicles cannot be held liable for accidents caused by unexpected hazards. Just as you wouldn't blame a driver for crashing into an asteroid that lands in front of them you wouldn't blame them for hitting any other random object that doesn't belong in the roadway such as a bicycle.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
now the bad guys will know where all the cool running trails are

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

lol

was that really a data leak? isnt that just information they have out all the time? or did i miss something about their db being hacked

i think the strava thing is overblown in terms of mattering. all foreign nations already know everything about us bases. if they had access to realtime tracking of everyones movements that could be bad from an attack pov, but otherwise nothing is really going to cmoe of it as everyone with means to do damage already knows.

theres another conversation to be had about ~data driven tracking~ and privacy in general which is actually a problem.

nah its not a leak just a correlation/new view of the data
splitting hairs about exactly what to call it is a good way to get bogged down in the weeds and have nothing more than a couple fake-penitent ceo statements get posted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
universe brain: russia puts fitbits on a bunch of stray dogs and we launch nukes at the evident sudden presence of 17.3 million russian troops in crimea

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha

as if we care about crimea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

missed opportunity to call it "youber"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

universe brain: russia puts fitbits on a bunch of stray dogs and we launch nukes at the evident sudden presence of 17.3 million russian troops in crimea

i mean i have no doubt that some of these "revealed" bases around the world are intentional signal done by cia/etc to make people look closer at building X when it's really building Y 5 miles away that's the real black site/secret weapon site/etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

i think the argument is not so much "now the russians know that we have soldiers at ft. bragg!" but more that now any ISIS dude in syria can go on strava.com and check out where the local american soldiers like to go running or where the supply trucks run and then plant a bomb.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

splitting hairs about exactly what to call it is a good way to get bogged down in the weeds and have nothing more than a couple fake-penitent ceo statements get posted
yeah sure, i just didnt know if it was a new leak or just normally published information.

the issue is its being framed as a ~national security~ issue and not a privacy issue. the end result is gunna be a CEO statement where "ok active service members can check "yes i am in the military" box when creating an account turn whichs all privacy options on! all fixed! carry on" or military just going "no fitbits on bases!" and then back to a regular normal day for everyone else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

i mean i have no doubt that some of these "revealed" bases around the world are intentional signal done by cia/etc to make people look closer at building X when it's really building Y 5 miles away that's the real black site/secret weapon site/etc

yeah i was ruminating on that angle, honestly.

like first of all how are smartphones/gsm devices allowed to be carried by troops on a military base, i literally do not get it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

internet of unpersons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i was ruminating on that angle, honestly.

like first of all how are smartphones/gsm devices allowed to be carried by troops on a military base, i literally do not get it

well, it doesn't have to be doing real-time uploads. could be that the device is just recording the gps tracks and then they're syncing it six months later when they rotate back home

and i dunno if fitbits have gps built in but i read an article that the military has given out tens of thousands of them in an effort to fight obesity. lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:thejoke:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

correlating as in "individual service members identified, assignments from Syria to German AFB worked out from there"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

and i dunno if fitbits have gps built in but i read an article that the military has given out tens of thousands of them in an effort to fight obesity. lol

lol
welp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it used to be that when you were a fatass in the army they just made you do more PT and eat less but i suppose that isn't disruptive or innovative enough for today's modern warriors

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i think it used to be that when you were a fatass in the army they just made you do more PT and eat less but i suppose that isn't disruptive or innovative enough for today's modern warriors

strava does a great job of gamifying exercise with leaderboards for routes/segments/distance, etc

it works surprisingly well and gets people to not just start exercising, but continue to do so.

also strava has a pretty extensive api that a ton of 3rd party tools use that most people blindly allow access to (i'm just as guilty, but i also don't work in a blackops site) that if you know what you're looking for you can parse the data accordingly.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is it?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

*ron howard voice* it wasn't the joke

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I mean, the joke is either that or something racist about how "They all look the same to me anyways, haw haw haw!"?

:shrug:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a nutty thought: if you need to "gamify" a reason to do physical activity maybe instead actually do physical activity toward a purpose rather than treat it as some onerous intrusion in your otherwise sedentary life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for example, you could see how many push-ups you can do in an hour, then try to break that record.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

*ron howard voice* it wasn't the joke

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

oh no people know sailors run around submarine bases?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, the joke is either that or something racist about how "They all look the same to me anyways, haw haw haw!"?

:shrug:

What?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

for example, you could see how many push-ups you can do in an hour, then try to break that record.

i'm not quoting stymie because they're a pedantic loving bellend but unsurprisingly competing against other people works a lot better re: beating your own records

as a rule my bike performance riding solo increases incrementally over X amount of time

but when i ride/race with a group of stronger riders (or even people i'm on par with), my performance is guaranteed to go up, and not incrementally

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

no, that's still gamification to no purpose

try this: see how many bricks you can lay in an hour and then try to break that record over the next seven hours

you get your precious gamification and actually do something useful like building things

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xaris posted:

yeah sure, i just didnt know if it was a new leak or just normally published information.

the issue is its being framed as a ~national security~ issue and not a privacy issue. the end result is gunna be a CEO statement where "ok active service members can check "yes i am in the military" box when creating an account turn whichs all privacy options on! all fixed! carry on" or military just going "no fitbits on bases!" and then back to a regular normal day for everyone else.

its normally published information
heres a track on a local base

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://my.mixtape.moe/yabztq.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

oh no people know sailors run around submarine bases?

who are you and why did you decide on this awful, poo poo smelling gimmick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

you get your precious gamification and actually do something useful like building things

unfortunately the thing i'm building is a gas chamber

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

unfortunately the thing i'm building is a gas chamber

congrats on winning an ICE contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TIL arbecht macht frei is stymie's creedo

• Locked thread