Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Is the Tivo Roamio the only OTA DVR that can pause live TV and all that stuff that people expect from DVRs? It seems every other system is a backend-frontend thing that would not be friendly for my mom.

The Roamio OTA is the older model, the newer TiVo Bolt / Bolt Vox also have versions that take OTA antenna (check before buying though, because some versions don't). TiVo is by far the most full-featured DVR (one-button commercial break skip is amazing) and also among the easiest. However you need to either pay the monthly fee or one-time "all-in" fee for the service.

An other option is an nVidia Shield Pro with an OTA tuner attached (for example the Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD can attach to the USB port). Then use the Google Live Channels app to watch and DVR shows. The advantage here is Google pays the monthly fee for Electronic Program Guide data so it's free to you after your initial purchase. The disadvantage is the DVR features are NOWHERE near what a TiVo provides, for example you can't even tell it to only tape new episodes, it can only do a one-time taping or dumbly record every episode it sees.

Edit: the Live Channels interface looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcdl5gWJlE0&t=35s

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IAmKale posted:

Does YouTube TV give you access to on-demand content to all previous episodes of a show's current season? My wife and I are trying to catch up on a few CW shows, but the official CW app only grants access to the last five episodes of a show. I'm hoping that signing up to YouTube TV, which has CW, will allow us to go further back and watch earlier episodes.

It does grant access to on demand, but typically the retained episodes for on demand and provider apps are the same, so I wouldn't expect there to be more episodes on demand.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Rastor posted:

An other option is an nVidia Shield Pro with an OTA tuner attached (for example the Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD can attach to the USB port). Then use the Google Live Channels app to watch and DVR shows. The advantage here is Google pays the monthly fee for Electronic Program Guide data so it's free to you after your initial purchase. The disadvantage is the DVR features are NOWHERE near what a TiVo provides, for example you can't even tell it to only tape new episodes, it can only do a one-time taping or dumbly record every episode it sees.

Edit: the Live Channels interface looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcdl5gWJlE0&t=35s

This is pretty cool but it'd probably me more what I do for myself rather than my mom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IAmKale posted:

Does YouTube TV give you access to on-demand content to all previous episodes of a show's current season? My wife and I are trying to catch up on a few CW shows, but the official CW app only grants access to the last five episodes of a show. I'm hoping that signing up to YouTube TV, which has CW, will allow us to go further back and watch earlier episodes.

Typically not unless they have a specific deal with them, and I'm not aware of any provider in the US that does.

Netflix does have all CW shows and will have the full season up shortly after that season's final episode.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It does grant access to on demand, but typically the retained episodes for on demand and provider apps are the same, so I wouldn't expect there to be more episodes on demand.
Well that's a bummer. As an aside, what possible reason would a provider like CW have to limit past episodes to the last five? To encourage impatient people like us to splurge for the season on Amazon or what?

Proteus Jones posted:

Netflix does have all CW shows and will have the full season up shortly after that season's final episode.
Legends of Tomorrow is on a mid-season break, though, and won't have its finale until mid-April. We just finished Season 2 on Netflix and want to watch Season 3 now :qq:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IAmKale posted:

Well that's a bummer. As an aside, what possible reason would a provider like CW have to limit past episodes to the last five? To encourage impatient people like us to splurge for the season on Amazon or what?

That's the eternal question.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They dont want you to be able to store the whole season of Supernatural so you have to buy the box set

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

IAmKale posted:

I don't know, but basically everyone does it. Check Hulu, same restriction.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Not always for Hulu, for instance Lucifer doesn't have that restriction (or at least it didn't last season. I haven't started season 3 yet).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

They dont want you to be able to store the whole season of Supernatural so you have to buy the box set

Which isn't on sale until many many months after its debut on Netflix.

Networks are stupid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Hulu doesn't seem to have any hard and fast rules, some shows are their in their entirety, some are limited. Some are limited to three episodes, then at random the whole season populates. It is probably all related to contracting, but it's annoying how it seems to change monthly at times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's whatever deal the distributing studio has with OnDemand and OTT providers.

In their mind, you'll buy episodes to catch up on a show and get current instead of just passing it over.

They need to realize that we're at peak TV and there's enough content out there to fill someone's schedule easily so if you make a show hard and expensive to catch up on, people will just not stay current with it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 18, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

It's whatever deal the distributing studio has with OnDemand and OTT providers.

In their mind, you'll buy episodes to catch up on a show and get current instead of just passing it over.

They need to realize that we're at peak TV and there's enough content out there to fill someone's schedule easily so if you make a show hard it expensive to catch up on, people will just not stay current with it.

That's really the key. It doesn't effect me too much because 90% of the time I'm watching the show on Hulu within 48 hours, mostly because I'd rather watch The Mick over dinner at 6:00 instead of Family Feud.

On the other hand, sometimes I've heard about something, or want to watch an old episode, only to find out I can only watch last 3 episodes from last season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

They need to realize that we're at peak TV and there's enough content out there to fill someone's schedule easily so if you make a show hard and expensive to catch up on, people will just not stay current with it.

It's good to know the studios still look at how easy it is to download a pirate TV episode that'll be available minutes after the show ends and think "We definitely don't need to do anything to provide an alternative to this".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No joke, I currently have about 500 episodes of "stuff" that I've never seen before that has my interest between Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

So, if someone goes to me and says "such and such show is really good" and I can't get to current without paying even more money, then it goes to the back of the list until I can.

That ALMOST happened with me with "The Good Place" since I jumped in during the Christmas break. Season 1 was in Netflix, all but the first two episodes of season 2 were on Hulu. Fortunately in that case, NBC still had the first two in their site. If they hadn't, I would have just postponed watching any of it until season 2 was on Netflix as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

No joke, I currently have about 500 episodes of "stuff" that I've never seen before that has my interest between Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

So, if someone goes to me and says "such and such show is really good" and I can't get to current without paying even more money, then it goes to the back of the list until I can.

That ALMOST happened with me with "The Good Place" since I jumped in during the Christmas break. Season 1 was in Netflix, all but the first two episodes of season 2 were on Hulu. Fortunately in that case, NBC still had the first two in their site. If they hadn't, I would have just postponed watching any of it until season 2 was on Netflix as well.

Man Not Accepting Any More Television Recommendations At This Time.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Hulu's DRM has turned me off compared to other services. So far, I've settled on Sling and it's been reliable (aside from random errors maybe one a week).

As someone who travels on a regular basis, their rules are outrageous. Sling is much more flexible.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I tried Pluto again. It's better than it used to be but still not super great. I mean, I'd probably super love it if I was broke AF and didn't have poo poo like Hulu so it's probably a good option there. But a channel dedicated to Fear Factor? Another channel dedicated to hot ladies posing? It's not even skinamax, it cracks me up everytime I flip by it.

My money is on +5 years, Pluto will be pretty solid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

So I tried Pluto again. It's better than it used to be but still not super great. I mean, I'd probably super love it if I was broke AF and didn't have poo poo like Hulu so it's probably a good option there. But a channel dedicated to Fear Factor? Another channel dedicated to hot ladies posing? It's not even skinamax, it cracks me up everytime I flip by it.

I mostly use it for MST3K/Rifftrax and the On Demand movies (typically Shaw Bros Kung Fu flicks from the 70s and 80s)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's with the random blackouts on DTVNow? I've had it happen with random episodes of Mythbusters and just now with one episode of Seinfeld on TBS. What the gently caress?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Lol licensing

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

What's with the random blackouts on DTVNow? I've had it happen with random episodes of Mythbusters and just now with one episode of Seinfeld on TBS. What the gently caress?

I've had random episodes of various shows go unavailable on Sling recently too, and when I contacted support they were all "licencing agreements change constantly, and we will not comment on any specific programming :shrug:"

All in the game, I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Yeah, no idea why the service that’s completely free still isn’t as great as the service with a monthly subscription charge.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

fknlo posted:

pzy posted:

Lol licensing

Pretty much. Someone on the DTV reddit commented that "Dirty Jobs" is apparently always blacked out lmao

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Slightly offtopic from the thread but I figured some of you would know what to do: if there is a better thread please advise

Is there a way for me to be running Citra (game emulator) on my Windows Desktop, stream it to my TV in another room, and play it with a controller from the TV room.

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 26, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You could make it work with a Steam Link. You'll hate the input lag, though, especially if both server and client are on wifi. Modern games do alright with streaming, but old ones that are super dependent on precision and timing probably don't fare as well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, no idea why the service that’s completely free still isn’t as great as the service with a monthly subscription charge.

I wasn't complaining? I know it's free. I was saying that back when I was broke I'd have loved it even though it's a little weird.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does DTVNow actively enforce the 2 stream limit? Is there a message that pops up when you try to have more than 2 streams in the same house going?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does DTVNow actively enforce the 2 stream limit? Is there a message that pops up when you try to have more than 2 streams in the same house going?

Yeah, you'll get an error if you try and play a channel. I've run into it a couple times.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Speaking of directv now, I just got invited to the beta and it's way better than the normal app. DVR, too!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think when I cut cable I'm going to go with Playstation Vue since it ends up having the most of what I want, and an HD antenna for local channels.

Did anyone using that attempt to watch March Madness last year? Like obviously I'm able to watch what's on TV, which is most, but I would like to be able to log into the NCAA and watch the games I care about during the first day or so when they jump around a bit.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 27, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick posted:

I think when I cut cable I'm going to go with Playstation Vue since it ends up having the most of what I want, and an HD antenna for local channels.

Did anyone using that attempt to watch March Madness last year? Like obviously I'm able to watch what's on TV, which is most, but I would like to be able to log into the NCAA and watch the games I care about during the first day or so when they jump around a bit.

Heh. I just jumped Vue for Hulu Live...or at least I'm seeing if it's improved and so far so good. They have the ESPNs, FOX Sports, CBS Sports, NBC Sports and Olympic Sports (used to be Universal Sports). I'm in Chicago and I get both regional NBS Sports as well.

I mostly watch live for sports, and I get access to one more network (CBS Sports) for less money than Vue. Plus I have access to the Hulu Library. It's an insanely good deal for me. But then I don't care about Viacom or Discovery Network shows (at least not enough to pay more)

Of note for you, they actually have a section called "College Basketball" when you're browsing for Live Shows. I'm going to guess it changes depending on the major sport.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Unfortunately for me Directvnow is really the only choice in my area because so far they're the only ones who carry MSG, and my entire family are huge Ranger fans.

Hopefully it starts showing up on other streaming services now that they broke through with one of them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Proteus Jones posted:

Heh. I just jumped Vue for Hulu Live...or at least I'm seeing if it's improved and so far so good. They have the ESPNs, FOX Sports, CBS Sports, NBC Sports and Olympic Sports (used to be Universal Sports). I'm in Chicago and I get both regional NBS Sports as well.

I mostly watch live for sports, and I get access to one more network (CBS Sports) for less money than Vue. Plus I have access to the Hulu Library. It's an insanely good deal for me. But then I don't care about Viacom or Discovery Network shows (at least not enough to pay more)

Of note for you, they actually have a section called "College Basketball" when you're browsing for Live Shows. I'm going to guess it changes depending on the major sport.

I didn't know about Hulu Live actually. It does look like way more total TV for a bit less the most part. No NBA TV though. :(

Actually Sling TV might actually be where I want to go. They have NBATV and Pac-12 Network.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Unfortunately for me Directvnow is really the only choice in my area because so far they're the only ones who carry MSG, and my entire family are huge Ranger fans.

Hopefully it starts showing up on other streaming services now that they broke through with one of them.

I just wish it was in a cheaper tier. It's almost not worth it to pay the 50 a month for it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick posted:

I didn't know about Hulu Live actually. It does look like way more total TV for a bit less the most part. No NBA TV though. :(

Actually Sling TV might actually be where I want to go. They have NBATV and Pac-12 Network.

E: poo poo. nvm, I misread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Matt Zerella posted:

I just wish it was in a cheaper tier. It's almost not worth it to pay the 50 a month for it.

It'll never happen; these companies know sports is a huge draw and that people want their RSN's. I feel you, though. We're pretty much paying an extra 15 a month just for msg. Honestly might just drop down to the low tier package from April-October.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Signed up for DTV Now. I'm watching Law and Order on WEtv and it's the weirdest thing. I guess to fit the runtime, they speed it up. It's like 1.2x. It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's juuuuust sped up enough to where your brain says "Hey something is off."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Signed up for DTV Now. I'm watching Law and Order on WEtv and it's the weirdest thing. I guess to fit the runtime, they speed it up. It's like 1.2x. It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's juuuuust sped up enough to where your brain says "Hey something is off."

I've noticed this on other channels with other shows. It's so they can fit in more commercials. Not specific to DTV Now, that I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RZA Encryption posted:

I've noticed this on other channels with other shows. It's so they can fit in more commercials. Not specific to DTV Now, that I'm aware of.

It's not, but I haven't had cable tv in years so I haven't seen it first hand until now.