Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
On the volume note I often get poo poo from some friends because I flat out refuse to not wear earplugs. Even the cheap musician ones are worth it to me. I'm sorry, but the first loud (aka rock) band I ever saw had my ears ringing for the entire next day. If "not feeling it maaaan" is what ear plugs do then gently caress it. I'd rather feel less and protect my hearing. I am hard of hearing in my left ear as it is, from childhood, I don't want to sacrifice any more if I can help it.

Wear plugs people. Especially people who play music. Gonna be pretty hard to hear yourself or your bandmates if you're loving deaf.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The fun thing is that 40 watts of guitar tube amp will defeat 5000 watts of vocal PA easily.

Speaking of that, what's some good guitarist excuses you've heard when they get told to turn down? I've heard:

- "It's not that loud, actually"
- "It can't go any quieter"
- "Everyone said they couldn't hear me last time, so I'm going louder"
- "gently caress off"
- "Yeah it's ok, I just might as well not play then" (turns everything to 0.5 and sulks)
- "I can barely hear it"
- "yeah sure thing, I'll turn down" (moves presence knob from 6 to 5.5)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

syntaxfunction posted:

On the volume note I often get poo poo from some friends because I flat out refuse to not wear earplugs. Even the cheap musician ones are worth it to me. I'm sorry, but the first loud (aka rock) band I ever saw had my ears ringing for the entire next day. If "not feeling it maaaan" is what ear plugs do then gently caress it. I'd rather feel less and protect my hearing. I am hard of hearing in my left ear as it is, from childhood, I don't want to sacrifice any more if I can help it.

Wear plugs people. Especially people who play music. Gonna be pretty hard to hear yourself or your bandmates if you're loving deaf.

The drummer in one of my old bands was the one who convinced me to wear plugs all the time. He had mostly played in punk bands up to that point, no earplugs obviously. He was 35, had the hearing of a 70 year old, and was lucky to not be more deaf. gently caress that. My hearing is too important.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That loud ringing in your ears that you hear after exposure to extreme SPL is the sound of you losing hearing after that exposure.

It's not a joke and you can never get it back.

I know I'm supposed to have contrary and stupid opinions but the industry for which I now work conducts annual OSHA-mandated hearing conservation tests on their entire fleet service teams because they work around extremely loud engines many times a day.
The funniest thing is how they react to being asked if they have discharged firearms in the last two days on the form. It's not because they might be "gun-owners," it's because they've been recently exposed to high SPLs which might effect the results of their hearing tests.

Hearing protection there is mandated and provided free, but sometimes I walk out a door and have to plug my own ears because I forgot my earplugs. I've lost enough hearing to loud cymbals or concerts, I'm just trying to preserve what I have left.You don't get it back.

Yeah, it's funny when you're young and ballsy and loud poo poo is cool because it thumps your chest but when you're older and "silence" is filled by a whine like the sound of a jet engine (which gets louder the more you notice it) because you have tinnitus then things like being in a quiet room, trying to sleep in a quiet space, or just enjoying silence in general becomes impossible.

I know it sounds like a "get over yourself, Grandpa" thing but trust me: if you haven't been there, you don't want to be there. I was there in my 30s.

I say this because I can not be in a quiet room. I need a small amount of sound, like a sound spa or a low fan to keep me from hearing that whine and having it ramp up from a 2 to a 10.

I wear ear plugs and I hear concerts much better when they're too loud. The treble is attenuated some, but the clarity is so much better.
Then again, some Napoleon in a Jean-jacket almost threatened me to a fight for wearing earplugs at the only Yngwie show I ever attended (BTW his tone was loving incredible.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 30, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Faustus: from my experience, SunnO))) often pays to have hearing protection handed out at the door. They have a specific experience in mind and it does not involve hurting people or hearing loss.

The intent is to have a sonic experience without your ears dominating. Whether that is cool or interesting is separate from whether it’s as loud as AC/DC.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 30, 2018

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My Bloody Valentine does that too. I've still got the earplugs and the cool tin they came in.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've seen a few shows that were quiet enough to not have earplugs at all (Think Neutral Milk Hotel and other reasonable volume folk bands) but I've always taken them with me.

I feel like they also help get you up close to a lot of bands. Provided there's no mosh pit (it's fifty/fifty for bands I see) with earplugs that actually do their job you can get way the gently caress close and stay there with the band while everyone else goes deaf and bails because they're right next to the amps or PA speakers or whatever.

I'm harping on about this because I care about people's hearing :( Protect yourselves, it'll be depressing to read posts from people talking about not being able to play any more in the future.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've got tonnes of earplugs in search for the ones that affect th experience least (my ears can't fit the custom ones for some reason). Proguard make the best I've found so far,in that they don't sound like they're doing much unless you take them out and hear the difference. Flare titanium are best at just straight up obliterating incoming sound but not in the most musical way.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Faustus: from my experience, SunnO))) often pays to have hearing protection handed out at the door. They have a specific experience in mind and it does not involve hurting people or hearing loss.

The intent is to have a sonic experience without your ears dominating. Whether that is cool or interesting is separate from whether it’s as loud as AC/DC.

yeah it's more akin to those massage chairs they set out in front of the sharper image store at the mall

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

loudest I've done:

Sunn
Swans
Boris (~100 venue) = Sleep
Boris (big venue) = Electric Wizard

haven't seen MBV or Dino Jr. as someone pointed out awhile ago, Sunn sound is just like a full blanket for hours, it's a totally different experience from the other ones that are closer to traditional sounds. Like if you catch Boris doing a mostly drone set it's totally different in the ear

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Kinda makes you wonder how the band members put up with it as often as they do if it really is that crazy on the body.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GreatGreen posted:

Kinda makes you wonder how the band members put up with it as often as they do if it really is that crazy on the body.

I was wondering that about Sunn after the last time I saw them. I got right up in front of the stage and breathing even got weird with my throat and sternum trying to leave my body. Etymotic earplugs were not enough for that, I hope those guys are using something good.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I've never gotten flak at a legit concert venue for earplugs at least; I've been at concerts at places like conventions were it was some kid's first concert and they were questioning earplugs though. Hey, I like being able to hear; I've even used the in-ear monitors I use as earbuds in a pinch. I've got a pair of earplugs by Alpine that weren't expensive but fit in a keychain so I don't forget them and are low-profile enough that I can sleep with them in if needed. Only problem with me is big ear canals so they have to go in a little too deep (removing them takes some persistence) and a lot of places don't stock the larger musician plugs.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I hit drums hard so I always have those triple-flanged professional musician earplugs around. Some bands are melodic but also, part of their of their sound is being crushing and huge. The crushing and huge part is felt physically, no need to kill your ears. Those nicer earplugs filter out that damaging and noisy sound while you can still hear everything clearly.

Most recent loud show I went to was Neurosis. I wish it were louder, but it was also a poo poo-rear end venue. I wish they had picked somewhere else. I've seen other "famously loud" bands, Isis, Mono, Pelican, High on Fire, Mogwai, Judas loving Priest...some others.

But the loudest I went to was Red Sparowes on the tour from their first album. It's a small venue and there's a wall in the right spot and it was super huge and crazy. But also melodic. I dunno, louder than poo poo has it's place here and there.

e: Actually front row at Judas Priest (with The Ripper) at an outdoor arena with no earplugs was probably the loudest. That was dumb, but also awesome.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
In honor of the latest discussion I plugged in 3 amps into my cab today. AD200B, Dual Dark 100, and the Hartke LH500, I turned them all the way up, and I didn't use earplugs. Now I'm dead, and my ears are ringing in the afterlife.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Pokey Araya posted:

In honor of the latest discussion I plugged in 3 amps into my cab today. AD200B, Dual Dark 100, and the Hartke LH500, I turned them all the way up, and I didn't use earplugs. Now I'm dead, and my ears are ringing in the afterlife.

is that a vagina painted on the front? that clit is intense af

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kjetting posted:

He's a reasonably talented musician with a reasonably smug and punchable face who makes viral skits on youtube with themes like "10 things bassists say in the studio"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zNTa0qBRc
is the joke here that bassists don't have any say in the studio

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

That sound stupid as gently caress to me.

I've worked with dozens or drummers and bassists and (OMFG) guitarists. The ability to be loud is not the ability to be good. I've personally kicked out sound guys who insisted on mic'ing and EQ'ing a piccolo snare to sound like an LA fat snare while also deafening our audience with piercing highs and ridiculous lows that their own subs couldn't handle without farting and making GBS threads. It was like a point of pride for these idiots.

I mean, if being the loudest thing since a MOAB is your thing, then ok; good on ya; if that's what your audience is there for.

THAT is some stupid music poo poo.

I want to make music and I want people to hear it and feel it and be moved by it. I don't want them to think that the quality of the show has something to do with how many days their ears are still ringing after the last song.
No, I am not the rear end in a top hat requiring everyone in the audience to have their own headphones for perfect fidelity.

THAT is some stupid music poo poo.

Now, PA systems have become quite monstrous in terms of SPL since then, but that doesn't make music sound good.

P.S. - Every drummer who told me, with a proud smile, "I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet" couldn't play for poo poo and didn't last a full audition with my bandmates, because they couldn't play a song.

maybe this drone metal band should just play quieter, so that we can be moved by it in our emotional regions

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crossposted from the stupid webcomic thread:

Typical Pubbie posted:

when you read webcomics

Huntersoninski posted:

Jfc the most important ukulele lesson is learning what songs you just should not play on the ukulele.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was going through my YouTube favorites for a different reason and found this and figured y'all would appreciate it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVZE_QLT8Is

Hell, it might have been this thread (or the last iteration of it) that turned me onto it in the first place :v:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

maybe this drone metal band should just play quieter, so that we can be moved by it in our emotional regions

that was one of the better portlandia sketches

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve mixed 2 gigs in a small venue where stage volume was so loud I could just about get the vocals audible with not much else coming from the pa. Both were swedish d-beat bands (on different occasions) that setup really quickly and just turned everything the gently caress up. Both gigs sounded like a noise/powerelectronics show and were painfull but short. We’ve had hardcore techno gigs at the venue that were nicer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

crossposted from the stupid webcomic thread:

I can hear it in my head, and I hate it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

W424 posted:

I’ve mixed 2 gigs in a small venue where stage volume was so loud I could just about get the vocals audible with not much else coming from the pa. Both were swedish d-beat bands (on different occasions) that setup really quickly and just turned everything the gently caress up. Both gigs sounded like a noise/powerelectronics show and were painfull but short. We’ve had hardcore techno gigs at the venue that were nicer.

Those sound cool

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

is that a vagina painted on the front? that clit is intense af

It was a failed attempt at Chernobog from fantasia , but yeah it totally looks like a vagina, if you put the headstock on the super clit at volume, it'll shake the guitar right out of your hands :getin:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I was really interested in the new 1 watt DSL head but the output impedance is 16ohm for some reason??? what the poo poo marshall

e: I mean there's a decent amount of 16ohm speakers out there but I kinda figure a 1 / .1w amp would be used in a single speaker and I don't think I've seen too many used that way? you can get them tho, I just don't have any

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 1, 2018

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Relevant hearing-loss-related interview with Paul Gilbert (time stamp is where he starts getting into it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVO1pv5Vf5w&t=747s

I used to have golden ears even just 15 years ago. At that time, I'd been in a band and played my share of pretty loud shows, including the first live gig I'd ever really done, and the first one we'd done as a band. I had no idea how to make my amp sound "good" mic'd through a venue PA, so I set it pretty much like I did at rehearsal, only a bit louder, and it nearly took my head off. It was so sharp and bitey. And LOUD. And it was right next to me on stage, pointed right at my left ear.

I hit the opening chord of our first song, and very nearly shat myself. My hearing's been a little lopsided ever since. Not dramatically, but noticeably.

Overall, though, I didn't really learn my lesson about my hearing, just about how to get a better live sound without decapitating anyone or myself. When the band ended, I kept going out to shows where the band was WAY too loud for the environment it was playing in, and my hearing has been permanently changed from it. There's a constant ringing that comes and goes in volume. The crisp, high end I used to hear is either gone, or just a hissing noise. Mid range sounds are missing clarity now, too.

Overall, my hearing's still pretty decent, and I've learned how to compensate for what I can't hear as well, but it still sucks to know I could have better preserved it by simply wearing some earplugs.

Oh well. Rite of passage, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also I'm probably going to actually buy the new brent hinds terror from orange anyway so, y'know

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Also I'm probably going to actually buy the new brent hinds terror from orange anyway so, y'know
Wait that's out already? :aaaaa:

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

woodch posted:

Relevant hearing-loss-related interview with Paul Gilbert (time stamp is where he starts getting into it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVO1pv5Vf5w&t=747s

Thanks for the video. I really dig Paul Gilbert and I work everyday with people who have hearing loss. People don't prioritize their hearing and they end up struggling to have a simple conversation (in the video Paul cupped his hand to his ear when the interviewer was talking). Also in his little YouTube series you can see that he's wearing hearing aids.

Living fast and dying young is sexy, but if you make it out alive, it ain't.

And I guarantee you no matter what kind of ear plugs those guys in the Sunn band have, they're getting massive hearing loss. So if you've attended one of their shows and are experiencing hearing loss, please call know and we can starting a class action lawsuit against them that will net you $3.07 towards hearing aids

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Wait that's out already? :aaaaa:

Sweetwater says you can buy it now, anyway! Musician's friend has it available in a couple weeks.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
for anyone who hasn't seen the ad he made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbdDKuV56_4

pretty neat that it has a playboy channel knob

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol Brent Hinds claimed EGC "stole" his signature guitar design. It's a Flying V. That's it. lmao

oh yea and his method of communicating this was an instagram video where he looks like he has never slept a day in his life because every waking second is spent dumping bourbon down his neck.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

yeah he owns

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol Brent Hinds claimed EGC "stole" his signature guitar design. It's a Flying V. That's it. lmao

wasn't it something like a dan armstrong-style acrylic v body with a travis bean neck?

real original there guys

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

he looks like he has never slept a day in his life because every waking second is spent dumping bourbon down his neck.

So, his regular everyday appearance, then?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

wasn't it something like a dan armstrong-style acrylic v body with a travis bean neck?

real original there guys

Hah yea DA-style acrylic and a standard EGC neck (that's their thing, carrying on the aluminum neck legacy of Travis Bean). The back and forth with Kevin Burkett (owner of EGC) was kind of funny-ish because he was able to show the receipts that Brent had demanded free guitars and other trashy rockstar behavior.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i remember egc from when king buzzo got a signature model

it seemed pretty cool except for the giant seam running around the edge which made it look cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, what happened with EGC? :ohdear: