Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Avalerion posted:

FFXII ZA hitting steam tomorrow - got some suggestions for party & job setups?

In particular I remember something about certain weapons being worse for some characters, like Balthier of all people aparently sucks with guns. :psyduck:
Literally do whatever you want. Zodiac Age is the easiest version of an already incredibly easy game and can be lolannihilated with any job setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Avalerion posted:

In particular I remember something about certain weapons being worse for some characters, like Balthier of all people aparently sucks with guns. :psyduck:

Do whatever you like, you spend 99% of the game just using auto attack anyway

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I love how people keep going nuts about how Balthier/Fran/Penelo have weapon animations that are very slightly slower than anyone else.

Meanwhile, using Sazh as anything other than a SYN hurts unless he's very MAG-heavy because his physical attack animations are so. Slow.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I love how people keep going nuts about how Balthier/Fran/Penelo have weapon animations that are very slightly slower than anyone else.

Meanwhile, using Sazh as anything other than a SYN hurts unless he's very MAG-heavy because his physical attack animations are so. Slow.

I noticed this, too. I never even used Sazh once I had control over my party. The slight fractional difference in speed in FFXII is nothing compared to how stylish yet also completely inefficient Sazh's animations are. Stylishness should be rewarded but such is the problem of FFXIII.

I remember hearing one funny detail was Snow is a great RAV because even though his magic stat sucks his magic-casting animation is incredibly simplistic so you can build up the gauge faster.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Avalerion posted:

I recommend either picking jobs that sound cool for specific characters or choose randomly.

The game is balanced around having one job, you'll be fine with whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still stand by the frankly absurd hope and thought of the FFVII remake going totally off the rails with the story and having key events unfold completely and obviously differently.

We know from what little gameplay (and/or gameplay mockups) we've seen that they have no desire to remain faithful to the game mechanically. And we know from the consistent mischaracterization of Cloud ever since, including recently in Mobius, that they have no desire to remain faithful to the original game's script and characters either. So I really want to see them go 'gently caress it' and make the whole thing a 'what if' scenario where they throw a few weird wrenches in the works and write out the story from there.

My go-to pick for how to do that is always going to be killing Cloud instead of Aerith. The shock value of a character like that dying was a huge part of why it was so affecting, so that's clearly gone now, but they could retain it and viably tell a far different story by killing off somebody else, and Cloud's the most contractually-invincible character in Final Fantasy. Since most of the story after that point is carryon from either Aerith's death or Cloud's current choices/condition, it opens a ton of interesting 'wait, what happens now' questions to answer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kill off the entire cast in Act 2 minus Barrett and Tifa, at which point FFVII becomes a 2D side scrolling beatemup.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I plan to just make everybody red mages when XII drops

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

I noticed this, too. I never even used Sazh once I had control over my party. The slight fractional difference in speed in FFXII is nothing compared to how stylish yet also completely inefficient Sazh's animations are. Stylishness should be rewarded but such is the problem of FFXIII.

I remember hearing one funny detail was Snow is a great RAV because even though his magic stat sucks his magic-casting animation is incredibly simplistic so you can build up the gauge faster.

Snow's also an acceptable MED just because of how fast he casts, even if he'll never get access to the top-tier stuff like Curaja.

Sazh is still a fantastic SYN (and I'd personally rate him over Hope, because you can opt to skip learning the Barspells and Sazh has a slightly faster cast time compared to Hope). But the guy has to learn to start using his guns faster.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The story path in FFXII requires very little effort but the optional content requires to be well geared especially towards the end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I recommend either picking jobs that sound cool for specific characters or choose randomly.

The game is balanced around having one job, you'll be fine with whatever.

Wait they just added a job system and didn't rebalance the game at all to account for it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wait they just added a job system and didn't rebalance the game at all to account for it?

I mean, they did, it's just still an easy game. They didn't rebalance anything for the second job they added for TZA though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well they added a job system and balanced the game around it, but then in this new release they let you pick a second job per character and did not rebalance the game around that additional power.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Cool thing about the PC release that I might take advantage of: they have new game minus (weak mode) unlocked from the start which locks you at lvl 1 for the whole game. Don't think it would make it stupidly hard since most of your power comes from licenses and equipment but instead just a good challenge for vet players.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Blitz on big targets :colbert:

(so every single boss and hunt worth noting and every single grinding turtle worth killing)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I still stand by the frankly absurd hope and thought of the FFVII remake going totally off the rails with the story and having key events unfold completely and obviously differently.

Most likely along these lines would be a way to bring back Aeris. Bonus if the method is insanely convoluted like the kind of rumor kids would share before the internet.

FFXII: Thanks all, I’ll go with Vaan shikari/redmage, Penelo monk/blackmage, Balthier machinist/whitemage, Fran archer/uhlan, Ashe samurai knight... which leaves Basch with breaker and... time mage? Not sure about time magic on him though axes and crossbows seem to fit him best.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ApplesandOranges posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Snow's also an acceptable MED just because of how fast he casts, even if he'll never get access to the top-tier stuff like Curaja.

Sazh is still a fantastic SYN (and I'd personally rate him over Hope, because you can opt to skip learning the Barspells and Sazh has a slightly faster cast time compared to Hope). But the guy has to learn to start using his guns faster.

You're vastly overstating the importance of speeds while ignoring the other factors. Vanille has the slowest Medic cast speed but she's undeniably the best medic (or at least tied/second only to Hope).

Realistically, no fight is ever going to come down to the spell cast speed unless you're using those guys as medics (which most people won't and probably shouldn't!), and even that is more dependent on individual magic stats (which I'd argue is much easier to boost up as Sazh) when they both have meh medic abilities. Even in the speedrun, there is only arguably 1 fight where Snows cast speed makes any sort of difference, and even then it doesn't really change much.

Sazh's attacks being slow is still a pretty suspect claim, since characters having travel time to run up to other enemies also can make a big difference in a lot of fights where Sahz doesn't care. Not even going into that the distance inherently keeps Sahz safer from enemy attacks (which is absolutely critical in a bunch of fights, depending on setup of course), that Sazh's blitz can do more damage , Cold Blood not only being extremely useful by itself but also pairing great with Random: Instant Chain, the importance of his Stagger Maintenance ability from his weapons, etc. The way you're looking at things seems pretty shallow given that there's much more to evaluate in the game.

Speaking of Sazh in other roles, he's actually a very decent Sab. He get's most of the base single abilities which itself is very useful and already ahead of Snow and Hope. He's also a very decent Sentinel, having some pretty high health and having a solid line up of abilities unlike the other 3 non-primary-sentinel characters. Sazh is a very decent character outside of being a SYN, so it's foolish to say that he hurts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not a XIII expert so I'm sure Sazh works out fine, but as a casual person just running around Oerba killing things, using him can be a bit of a slog.

I still like the guy so I use him enough, but his animations (and lack of Launch) is basically the reason why I'd never run, say, Sazh/Vanille/Hope.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sazh's ravage or whatever the AoE physical attacks are called is actually really good. It's fast and hits extremely hard. It's even one of the base moves of a giant turtle killing strat.

You should almost always use him as a synergist or ravager though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Avalerion posted:

Most likely along these lines would be a way to bring back Aeris. Bonus if the method is insanely convoluted like the kind of rumor kids would share before the internet.

FFXII: Thanks all, I’ll go with Vaan shikari/redmage, Penelo monk/blackmage, Balthier machinist/whitemage, Fran archer/uhlan, Ashe samurai knight... which leaves Basch with breaker and... time mage? Not sure about time magic on him though axes and crossbows seem to fit him best.

The generic “best” setup is:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Balthier: Uhlan/Time Mage
Fran: Red Mage/Archer
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: White Mage/Machinist

Obv that’s min-maxed to hell (individual character stats hardly matter) but there’s a lot of fun synergy there. Note that you have to progress a bit into the game before you can assign a second job.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not a XIII expert so I'm sure Sazh works out fine, but as a casual person just running around Oerba killing things, using him can be a bit of a slog.

I still like the guy so I use him enough, but his animations (and lack of Launch) is basically the reason why I'd never run, say, Sazh/Vanille/Hope.

Even casually, Sazh's blitz alone is still obviously really good, as are my points about far ranges. My first 2 playthroughs before I really knew the mechanics, Sazh as a commando was better over most other commandos for a while just based on those alone. Sazh just mostly breaks down once you have everyone in late postgame when everyone has secondary roles and your stats are getting near max and you need specialized strats, but even then he's still useful especially as a commando.

Also Sazh/Vanille pair extremely well together and are arguably one of the better teams, at least before you get to Stage 9/10 crystarium I think.

Also fyi, every character can launch with Aerora/Aeroga. Sazh is one of the few characters that learns Aeroga, at that. Using those to launch can be very useful when you start using Tri-disaster paradigms more often.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sazh's ravage or whatever the AoE physical attacks are called is actually really good. It's fast and hits extremely hard. It's even one of the base moves of a giant turtle killing strat.

You should almost always use him as a synergist or ravager though.

You're probably thinking of Blitz that does aoe physical damage. Ravage is a passive ability that does boost Blitz damage, but Sazh doesn't learn that. It is true though, that Sazh is one of the easiest/most consistent early-game characters to kill Adamantoises.

Sazh isn't that great as a Ravager imo (unless you know an enemy is weak to fire/aero beforehand), so imo you should be using him as a commando/syn/sen/sab. He's honestly a really good Sab when looking comparatively.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sazh is just regular guy with guns who now actually gets to use them, of course he's going to make some wicked moves to look like a total dadass.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like people are going to complain about Cloud being mischaracterized in the remake no matter what, since in the first episode he'll be malnourished and dissociating while assuming a very cold persona, which, while true to the original, is not his actual personality and closer to his appearance in spinoffs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel like people are going to complain about Cloud being mischaracterized in the remake no matter what, since in the first episode he'll be malnourished and dissociating while assuming a very cold persona, which, while true to the original, is not his actual personality and closer to his appearance in spinoffs.

That gets stripped off like the instant he runs into Aerith in the church, so that'll be down to how much padding they do in terms of the first few bombing missions.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The first episode will end with him falling after defeating Air Buster and it will take 3 real time years to get to meeting Aeris next episode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

The generic “best” setup is:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Balthier: Uhlan/Time Mage
Fran: Red Mage/Archer
Basch: Knight/Samurai
Ashe: White Mage/Machinist

Obv that’s min-maxed to hell (individual character stats hardly matter) but there’s a lot of fun synergy there. Note that you have to progress a bit into the game before you can assign a second job.

Personally Knight/Bushi is a waste because youll either lose the best Katana guy or the best sword guy

Knight/Black Mage and Bushi/Monk gets you both and those are really powerful combos

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

That gets stripped off like the instant he runs into Aerith in the church, so that'll be down to how much padding they do in terms of the first few bombing missions.

Yeah in terms of spinoff/fanwork mischaracterization Aerith always seems to end up as like caring but meek but she pretty much starts out by making GBS threads on Cloud's tough guy persona.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Would archer/red actually get to shoot stuff or is that mainly for the ardor boost?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Mainly for the ardor boost, but you can set it up so that you shoot enemies immune to fire.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Archer is one of the best jobs in the original IZJS because it can hit flying enemies, has access to the best heavy armours, can boost bow dmg even further with Germinas Boots.

Also gets lores that boost item effectiveness

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dissidia NT will probably remain trash for the rest of its lifespan, the apparent fact that they removed cutscenes from the main story to sell later as DLC being particularly despicable, but every cloud has a silver lining, including this awful garbage.

Spiritus for example would be right at home in FFXIV, and speaking of FF14 I actually really like how Y'shtola plays. Her style would fit right in with the original Dissidia games. The scenes where the heroes and villains are mutually completely done with this poo poo is great, as is that Jecht and Tidus haven't regressed in character development and actually show that they care about each other. Sephiroth soloing both Lightning and Noctis effortlessly tickled the powerlevel freak in me, and really that whole cutscene was great. Shantotto lorewise still being ridiculously powerful, able to kill every single character in the cast with ease is great, while still keeping the comedy aspect of her character.

Overall the game is a 4/10, it's a step down in every single aspect, story and gameplay both (except maybe graphics), from Duodecim. I could write up this big thing about how Shinryu didn't do nothing to deserve this, and why it's dumb that they're even keeping this fight world devoted to people killing each other alive, but gently caress it, anybody who played Dissidia would know.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's an extremely important article on the playstation blog where the FF devs pick their favourite Final Fantasy

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/01/30/the-best-final-fantasy-games-as-chosen-by-the-franchises-creators/

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not even the people who work there like 8.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Only three responses for FF5, sickening (though seriously glad it got the most nods).

Though it’s funny to me that FF2 got mentioned but not 8, 12, or 15.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

There's an extremely important article on the playstation blog where the FF devs pick their favourite Final Fantasy

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/01/30/the-best-final-fantasy-games-as-chosen-by-the-franchises-creators/

Glad to see FFV got the most votes

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

Only three responses for FF5, sickening (though seriously glad it got the most nods).

Though it’s funny to me that FF2 got mentioned but not 8, 12, or 15.

Akihiko Matsui posted:

...even looking back on it now, it’s a masterpiece.

:mrwhite:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

Hiroaki Kato
The best: Final Fantasy Tactics
Why: The world of Ivalice and the job system are superb!

Why does this have a picture of Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance?????????

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Why does this have a picture of Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance?????????

Same thing really

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Same thing really

Between zero nods for FF8, 12, or 15, then this comment...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Help Im Alive posted:

1. lol toriyama

2. same