Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Idk if you're joking or not but that's actually a controversy at the moment. In my opinion a lot of the team excuses that were mostly along the lines of, "girls totally should be competing, (but the ones that are aren't a good fit for our [all-male] teams)."

Is a little more complicated than that due to Korean social norms (most teams are Korean even from "other countries") not smiling upon mixed gender households, and they would lose some sponsors, but still a huge load of crap that Blizzard needs to do something about if they want to say they're inclusive.

To be honest e-sports are just like any other sport: men are way better. There is a ton of sexism in the gaming industry as in any other but I don't think that's what is preventing women from being on OWL teams.

If a girl was good enough to make one of the pro-OW teams I'm sure they would gladly take her but none are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

To be honest e-sports are just like any other sport: men are way better. There is a ton of sexism in the gaming industry as in any other but I don't think that's what is preventing women from being on OWL teams.

If a girl was good enough to make one of the pro-OW teams I'm sure they would gladly take her but none are.

lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ginette Reno posted:

:siren: lol here we gooooooo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ginette Reno posted:

Source your quotes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

:captainpop: HOT TAKE ALERT :captainpop:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm getting man thumbs grafted on now so I can beat you at video games.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ron Jeremy posted:

Literally called nostalgia in the 19th century.

I laughed at this... and then I cried.

sigma 6 has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jan 30, 2018

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if you're just trolling or what, but I don't buy "chicks are just bad at vidya games." It's a combination of sexism, visibility, and toxic environments, just like many fields of employment that're wondering why women won't participate in them. It's probably more like, "If any girl was willing to put up with constant gender specific discrimination and harassment, both on the road to being noticed by a pro-OW team, after getting signed on with the team, and likely post leaving the team, I'm sure they would gladly take her, but none are.

EDIT: Whoops, I bothered to give a serious reply, maybe that was a rookie mistake.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Remember where you are. Trolls could be anywhere.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

trolls? on MY forums??

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

khysanth posted:

trolls? on MY forums??

more likely

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I'd bet money that this is somewhere in the twin cities, I-35W most likely.

So I-35 sucks all the way up north too, huh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is it at all possible that sexism in gaming has a huge effect but also that maybe women are less good at games because of BioTruths or because they're just less interested in gaming? Just asking, I don't know anything about esports because it is laughably dorky

I mean it's not just physical sports women are worse at. They're worse at every sport, ever

Oh poo poo, this is the GIF thread!

Here is a gif

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Please don't taunt Lowtax.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's more men than women that play games, so there's a larger pool of men to choose from. Men are also for whatever reason just better at practically every type of athletic sport than women. And e-sports is an athletic activity requiring handeye coordination and reflexes etc.

A talented enough woman might overcome that and make the league. It will probably happen at some point. There are some really good OW women who make it to top 500. Such a woman would have to deal with terrible sexism and creeps in the community because gamers are terrible people.

jmistajay posted:

I don't know if you're just trolling or what, but I don't buy "chicks are just bad at vidya games." It's a combination of sexism, visibility, and toxic environments, just like many fields of employment that're wondering why women won't participate in them. It's probably more like, "If any girl was willing to put up with constant gender specific discrimination and harassment, both on the road to being noticed by a pro-OW team, after getting signed on with the team, and likely post leaving the team, I'm sure they would gladly take her, but none are.

EDIT: Whoops, I bothered to give a serious reply, maybe that was a rookie mistake.

No, not trolling. I don't think women are bad at video games or anything, but being a top FPS player requires incredible reflexes, hand-eye, and a long history of playing such games. Guys get exposed to games earlier than women, there's more guys that play them than women, and guys tend to have biological athletic advantages over women.

Just because e-sports doesnt focus on physical strength and speed doesnt mean it's not still using attributes that men seem to be superior to women at like handeye, reflexes, etc. I mean poo poo look at the top dart players in the world. The top men would beat the top women.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ginette Reno posted:

There's more men than women that play games, so there's a larger pool of men to choose from. Men are also for whatever reason just better at practically every type of athletic sport than women. And e-sports is an athletic activity requiring handeye coordination and reflexes etc.

A talented enough woman might overcome that and make the league. It will probably happen at some point. There are some really good OW women who make it to top 500. Such a woman would have to deal with terrible sexism and creeps in the community because gamers are terrible people.

No, not trolling. I don't think women are bad at video games or anything, but being a top FPS player requires incredible reflexes, hand-eye, and a long history of playing such games. Guys get exposed to games earlier than women, there's more guys that play them than women, and guys tend to have biological athletic advantages over women.

Just because e-sports doesnt focus on physical strength and speed doesnt mean it's not still using attributes that men seem to be superior to women at like handeye, reflexes, etc. I mean poo poo look at the top dart players in the world. The top men would beat the top women.

/
:spergin:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I know it's usually racism or sexism or whateverism but THIS TIME it's a genuine meritocracy!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wonder if all-female video game leagues would force participants to get sex testing just like athletic sports leagues do. Because if a girl is good at sports it means she's secretly a man trying to cheat the system.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

I wonder if all-female video game leagues would force participants to get sex testing just like athletic sports leagues do. Because if a girl is good at sports it means she's secretly a man trying to cheat the system.

There is a lady Overwatch player who was so good that everyone decided that she was actually cheating and she had to jump through some hoops to prove otherwise. Also, of course, she was not drafted for the pro league.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like pantographs

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

If a dozen people call out your dumb post it means to stop posting instead of doubling down on it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

"Wanna see a magic trick?"
https://i.imgur.com/dcF6ARm.gifv

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

You don't wanna see what he'll do after a few shots.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Ginette Reno posted:

you're a dickhead. :gizz: :gizz:

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Ginette Reno posted:

...and guys tend to have biological athletic advantages over women.

Which are?

-Lack of empathy

-Ruthlessness

-Pwnage (a dominant gene)

-Penisosity

-The ability to post badly (see: yours and my own post)

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

This is physically painful to watch.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like how EscA knows it's bullshit.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

This is the one Vulcan to embrace emotion and had to find work doing party tricks.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

lol :biotruths: in the gif thread

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Because it's a gif and I didn't wanna watch it all over again after glancing at only 3 frames of this shot:

I totally thought it was edited to say "Shithole"

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

sigma 6 posted:

Remember where you are. Trolls could be anywhere.

So how is this movie, anyway? Good? Bad? Watch with friends while drunk bad?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

Legitimately pretty good, if a bit weird. Definitely worth watching, especially with some friends and/or alcohol.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a good movie yeah, obviously a bit low budget but it works.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Because it's a gif and I didn't wanna watch it all over again after glancing at only 3 frames of this shot:

I totally thought it was edited to say "Shithole"

It's a pretty common Zulu surname. Considering the ad is South African, it makes sense. It's pronounced something closer to "Sit holy." Similarly, the name Sexwale is not pronounced sex whale.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

I adore this film but don't expect high polish or narrative, just roll with 'what if norwegian folk-lore was real' then plan a holiday thanks to all the beautiful landscape shots.

TROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Nowadays, women have the right to embrace the garbage life of a pro gamer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Repo Man posted:

Best described as: "Wow, I'm surprised at how enjoyable that was."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Best described as: "Wow, I'm surprised at how enjoyable that was."

Is that Trollhunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002