Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Switch Goons, need help! I'm on the train and a dude a few seats to my left is playing his Switch. I'd feel horribly awkward to actually talk to him out of nowhere, but I want to know what game he's playing. I'm going to guess (without having played it myself) that it's Hollow Knight.

It's a platformer and he can dash places. There was one sequence where it looked like he was on a gondola going up or down a diagonal rope, in a snowstorm. At first I thought it might be Cave Story from the dialogue boxes that were appearing, but it's definitely not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Switch Goons, need help! I'm on the train and a dude a few seats to my left is playing his Switch. I'd feel horribly awkward to actually talk to him out of nowhere, but I want to know what game he's playing. I'm going to guess (without having played it myself) that it's Hollow Knight.

It's a platformer and he can dash places. There was one sequence where it looked like he was on a gondola going up or down a diagonal rope, in a snowstorm. At first I thought it might be Cave Story from the dialogue boxes that were appearing, but it's definitely not that.

Celeste

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hollow Knight has a very very distinctive art style so if it's that a quick image search will let you know.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I want to frame this post.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ah yes, Mighty No. 9

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Hollow Knight has a very very distinctive art style so if it's that a quick image search will let you know.

I'm actually not close enough to tell exactly what art style it is, but it looks Cave Story-esque.

Edit: yeah, definitely Celeste. Thanks!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm actually not close enough to tell exactly what art style it is, but it looks Cave Story-esque.

Probably Celeste then as someone said. Hollow Knight is a black and white aesthetic and Celeste is more blue and white I think, not having played either.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just ask him what game he's playing you broken human being.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

Just ask him what game he's playing you broken human being.

I'd rather be weird on here with you goons than weird and awkward IRL. :ohdear:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

We wish you wouldn't.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/953352474123014145

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've definitely had people be way too talkative to me about the 3DS game I'm playing on the bus so I'm gonna support their decision to stay silent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It's good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is it worth picking up a 3DS if my old rear end DSI works fine? The DS had an amazing library, was the 3DS's good enough to get a 2DS XL for?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit: yeah, definitely Celeste. Thanks!

Another goon success story.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is it worth picking up a 3DS if my old rear end DSI works fine? The DS had an amazing library, was the 3DS's good enough to get a 2DS XL for?

Yeah definitely, 3DS had an amazing run and there's still a thing or two coming out for it I plan to get. (Detective Pikachu)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Absolutely. Especially if you're into JRPGs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yes

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
No one responded by saying that Hollow Knight isn't even out yet. Is there some small chance it was suddenly announced and released with no fanfare and I missed it somehow?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm mostly enjoying Xenoblade 2, but I really hate when you kick the poo poo out of a boss effortlessly in battle and they clown you in the next cutscene and that's happened in three of the last four boss fights. Or basically every boss fight against a human opponent.

Its super annoying, just let me have the win game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Absolutely. Especially if you're into JRPGs.

My two favorite DS JRPGs were TWEWY which didn't have a sequel and Bowser's Inside Story (kinda sorta a JRPG), and apparently the Mario RPGs on the 3DS sucked. What else is good that isn't like, traditional, FF/Chrono Trigger-style JRPG (or Pokemon)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Aquasnake posted:

No one responded by saying that Hollow Knight isn't even out yet. Is there some small chance it was suddenly announced and released with no fanfare and I missed it somehow?

Nope no release date yet. Based on most indie announcements lately we'll get an announcement and a release just a week or two apart so I'm hoping it's right around the corner

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I bought just dance and it turns out I can't just dance as I have no coordination.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Need that Gal Metal ASAP.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I'm mostly enjoying Xenoblade 2, but I really hate when you kick the poo poo out of a boss effortlessly in battle and they clown you in the next cutscene and that's happened in three of the last four boss fights. Or basically every boss fight against a human opponent.

Its super annoying, just let me have the win game.

This basically never stops happening and its insane

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My two favorite DS JRPGs were TWEWY which didn't have a sequel and Bowser's Inside Story (kinda sorta a JRPG), and apparently the Mario RPGs on the 3DS sucked. What else is good that isn't like, traditional, FF/Chrono Trigger-style JRPG (or Pokemon)

SMT:4 and SMT:4A are both great!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't know that I'd call it non-traditional but I really liked Radiant Historia, which just got a 3ds remake.

SMT: Strange Journey did too but while I enjoyed my time with the original, I can't imagine recommending another person actually play it unless the remake somehow de-bullshitted it.

Other than that, there's two really good Etrian Oddysey games (4+5), and two average Etrian Oddsey game remakes(1+2) if you like 1st person dungeon crawlers.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Radiant Historia is insanely good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The World Ends With You is extremely unique. That said, Fantasy Life and Ever Oasis are really good if you like action RPGs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

The World Ends With You is extremely unique
It’s definitely the only subliminal fashion marketing based RPG I’ve played yeah.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I missed the saga of the Goon On the Train but like? I have seen kids playing the Switch irl and I have just gone up to them and just asked what they are playing and I am a 30 year old woman? Now I'm worried I'm giving off pedo vibes. :ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Lobster posted:

So I missed the saga of the Goon On the Train but like? I have seen kids playing the Switch irl and I have just gone up to them and just asked what they are playing and I am a 30 year old woman? Now I'm worried I'm giving off pedo vibes. :ohdear:

As long as you can read basic social signals indicating "please leave me alone I just want to play my Switch" then you're probably fine. Not everybody is comfortable just going up to strangers and starting a conversation though and that's okay too imo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If a complete stranger came up to me and asked what game I was playing I'd think they were getting ready to mug me, so it depends on where you live too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inject this game straight in to my veins, SE.

Over a million downloads of the demo is amazing. I think I like ever change they mentioned too and thank god for faster movement (and fast travel) being added. No release date though, please don't make me wait all year for this.. :ohdear:

Hopefully they use the engine to make more 2.5D old-school style RPGs too.

Octopath Traveller is going to end up being the actual name (or they'll give it a fancier name that's literally the same thing) and I'm completely ok with it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If a complete stranger came up to me and asked what game I was playing I'd think they were getting ready to mug me, so it depends on where you live too.

Rural Hickville

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath Traveller is going to end up being the actual name (or they'll give it a fancier name that's literally the same thing) and I'm completely ok with it.

it's probably one of the coolest names to accidentally stumble into and I do hope they keep it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The real secret of Octopath is who the scheming final boss is

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bayo 1&2 Overview trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqYZQigBZ9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Bloop posted:

The real secret of Octopath is who the scheming final boss is

Well ya I'd hope

• Locked thread