Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Unpopular Trek opinion: Voyager has a better cast than Deep Space 9, even if Deep Space 9 realizes theirs far better.
How can you tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Praying to the gods to win a sports game or to thank the gods for winning a sports game makes you a retard

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Praying to the gods to win a sports game or to thank the gods for winning a sports game makes you a retard

Sports players aren't renowned for their intelligence generally. I don't see what the problem is, it's just another motivational tool. Does it really make a difference if they give credit to God instead of steroids and/or working out? They could thank their grandmother for all I care as long as they win.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Athletes thanking God are generally speaking in the abstract and thanking him for giving them strength to persevere or whatever, not divinely guiding a kick through the uprights. People who bitch about it clearly don't interact with religious people.

Fans praying for sports help from upstairs are dumb though. Though maybe there's something to it considering how Alabama wins so much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tend to take people at their word and their explicit actions. When they are kneeling and bowing their head and kissing their necklace with Jesus on it before playing their sports ball, that's supposed to be abstract? I get doing that with a dangerous job like firefighter. I can only imagine the level of stress and existential moments you have in a job like that, so something like praying that you don't die in a pit of fire doesn't look entirely irrational. But praying so you can kick a ball hard is just lol.

Therefore, legalize steroids.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Jan 30, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I tend to take people at their word and their explicit actions. When they are kneeling and bowing their head and kissing their necklace with Jesus on it before playing their sports ball, that's supposed to be abstract? I get doing that with a dangerous job like firefighter. I can only imagine the level of stress and existential moments you have in a job like that, so something like praying that you don't die in a pit of fire doesn't look entirely irrational. But praying so you can kick a ball hard is just lol.

It's not comparable to firefighting but people get severe injuries playing sports and often pray beforehand for safety. It's really not that weird.

You say you take people at their word but nobody is ever like "thank god for placing that ball in my hands despite double coverage." They just thank god generally.

Then again you keep saying "sports ball" so I'm guessing you don't actually see these things very often.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Winning a sports game that makes them look better and will make them possibly millions of more dollars for entertaining people while playing a game is probably not that low on the list of stupid poo poo that people pray for/about.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sports players aren't renowned for their intelligence generally.

What? Most high-level sports player have to be fairly smart to be really, really good. Athleticism will only carry you so far.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Randaconda posted:

What? Most high-level sports player have to be fairly smart to be really, really good. Athleticism will only carry you so far.

I didn't say they were all morons or anything, just that they generally speaking aren't highly educated. It wasn't meant to be a putdown like "heh, those idiots are too stupid to be atheists" like mr. "sportsball" over there. There's a good reason for the fact that they aren't all running around with PhDs, and it's that they dedicate so much of their time to learning the game they play. So there are geniuses in each respective sport who have studied it practically their whole lives, but maybe aren't the best one to turn to to help you with your homework. There are different kinds of intelligence.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jan 30, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I don't like the trend of people interviewing college kids about their beliefs, especially in order to make a point about society/politics. They're a) in the process of learning things and b) likely don't even have fully formed brains.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I don't like the trend of people interviewing college kids about their beliefs, especially in order to make a point about society/politics. They're a) in the process of learning things and b) likely don't even have fully formed brains.

But without that how can I know to be mad about losing the culture war?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just like the implication that while God helps one team win he really had it out for the other team and players.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bobjr posted:

I just like the implication that while God helps one team win he really had it out for the other team and players.

The losing team should just be grateful they aren't turned into a pillar of salt. God doesn't gently caress around.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

bobjr posted:

Well, Santeria is basically Catholic Voodoo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The losing team should just be grateful they aren't turned into a pillar of salt. God doesn't gently caress around.

Nah, that's Old Testament God, he calmed down a bit after.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aramek posted:

Well, Santeria is basically Catholic Voodoo.

Santeria is literally a mixture of Catholicism and Voodoo. It's also heresy.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Santeria is a Sublime song, you nerds.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

We Know Catheters posted:

Santeria is a Sublime song, you nerds.

Eh, it's not that great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s really dumb that anything that makes an attempt to include chinese people or culture is now often slandered as “pandering” to the chinese market. Yeah the growth of wealth in China means western companies are making more effort to appeal to them but... no one says casting Daisy Ridley in Star Wars was pandering to brits, or that making a Total War game about Napoléon was a desperate ploy to get the french gaming market on board. It’s only chinese people that are stupid enough to be “pandered” to.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
China has them there Pander Bears though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

A lot of the "pandering" is done by the cultures themselves too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s really dumb that anything that makes an attempt to include chinese people or culture is now often slandered as “pandering” to the chinese market. Yeah the growth of wealth in China means western companies are making more effort to appeal to them but... no one says casting Daisy Ridley in Star Wars was pandering to brits, or that making a Total War game about Napoléon was a desperate ploy to get the french gaming market on board. It’s only chinese people that are stupid enough to be “pandered” to.

I think that putting a Chinese pop star in one unnecessary scene in the new Transformers movie is pandering to the Chinese audience. They needed someone to play the Star Wars person, they need a large conflict to base a Total War game on, they didn't need a person for the camera to focus on and have them say "oh look, Transformers. Go, Transformers!" Similarly, the scene in Iron Man where the Chinese doctor says, like, "I will help Iron Man!" which was so unnecessary that it wasn't even included in the movie outside China, that was also pandering to China

Making movies that might appeal to Chinese audiences isn't pandering to China, that's correct. Like that movie The Wall, that wasn't pandering. They just wanted to amke a movie that they thought would play well in China and America. But just sticking a Chinese celebrity in as a cameo for the sake of them being in the movie, that is pandering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Great Wall was also financed by Chinese companies and directed by a Chinese director. It was a co-production.

Matt Damon's in there because China loves American actors too, and wants them in their movies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thank you for using QQ

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't think Chinese people like it either, but it's definitely pandering in movies like Independence Day 2.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

But just sticking a Chinese celebrity in as a cameo for the sake of them being in the movie, that is pandering.

i personally dislike it when people jump the gun on calling out chinese pandering because it's almost nigh on impossible to distinguish it from more innocuous examples of just wanting a foreign actor's talents, wanting more diversity, etc at least the way most films do it

lethal weapon 4, for e.g., would probably get rebranded as chinese pandering if it were a modern release because it has a popular chinese actor, but a total unknown here, making his western debut even tho in 1998 the chinese market wasn't a concern yet so it's much more likely studios were just interested in employing a chinese man's unique talents for their action movie while enlarging the world of riggs and murtaugh to include worldlier villains in a sequel; likewise donnie yen's role in blade 2 would probably get branded as chinese pandering if it were a modern release for similar reasons even tho in 2002 the idea of inventing a smaller role just for the inclusion of a chinese person to tap the that market wouldn't carry much currency yet - speaking of donnie yen he was already well-established in the west in his own right by the time of rogue one yet including him was apparently super obvious pandering instead of just using a man's talents to augment a film

if chinese pandering came in the form of doing poo poo like having actors say 'maybe tibet shouldn't be free' or 'actually the diaoyu/senkaku islands do belong to china' i'd probably be against these more concrete marketing practices but as it stands most films are just including foreign actors and that on its own shouldn't be viewed in such a negative light

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Transformers and Independence Day they talk about how benevolent and efficient Chinese government help them do X so quickly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

How can you tell?
Tracking the high premise/casting call description of each character at the outset versus their writing/use/growth over the course of the series?

Also this is unpopular but :lol: who gives a gently caress about China pandering? :911: has been the epicenter of global culture since film production began over a century ago. The pendulum is finally, slightly shifting in another direction and everyone freaks out? I'm not saying it's a good thing to have nationalist pandering in any direction, but be real with yourselves--how much is you having a problem with China, and how much is feeling weirded out by nationalist pandering that isn't exclusive to the Western powers (but coming from said Western powers)?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

In Transformers and Independence Day they talk about how benevolent and efficient Chinese government help them do X so quickly.

That could prolly be legitimately called pandering, but I still think there's a racial component to the word in a lot of contexts. Ed Sheeran had a distracting cameo in GoT but it wasn't called pandering. Or hell the new star warses have a shitload of celebrity cameos but the only bitching I've seen was about the "useless" asian character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Tracking the high premise/casting call description of each character at the outset versus their writing/use/growth over the course of the series?

Also this is unpopular but :lol: who gives a gently caress about China pandering? :911: has been the epicenter of global culture since film production began over a century ago. The pendulum is finally, slightly shifting in another direction and everyone freaks out? I'm not saying it's a good thing to have nationalist pandering in any direction, but be real with yourselves--how much is you having a problem with China, and how much is feeling weirded out by nationalist pandering that isn't exclusive to the Western powers (but coming from said Western powers)?

But they're the bad guys.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

iirc independence day 1 devoted screen time to russia stepping up against the aliens, complete with a russian choir gloriously belting out a tune on the soundtrack, so within certain contexts it's fine to not have america just solo all worldwide threats

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I rarely really view movies as pandering just for including a foreign character or by setting the movie in that country. I think it has to go to the next level where it's practically verbally fellating the country to be criticized as pandering, like The Patriot for the USA or The Last Samurai for Japan/weeaboos.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Super Bowl commercials are dumb.

They spend millions of dollars for some thirty second ad that they fill with memes and celebrities. Admittedly, these ads probably do a lot to bring awareness of a brand. But do national brands like Budweiser and Taco Bell really need the recognition? They're national brands; everyone knows what Skittles are.

Spending all this money for glitzy ads just seems like a monumental waste of money. Better to spend your time building a good product that people want to buy - not because of clever advertising, but because it's something they genuinely like.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I genuinely think it's just a dick-measuring contest between brands/advertising agencies and a way to keep all of them--and the celebrities/film companies they contract--in business.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

But they're the bad guys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I genuinely think it's just a dick-measuring contest between brands/advertising agencies and a way to keep all of them--and the celebrities/film companies they contract--in business.

That's a bingo!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Super Bowl commercials are dumb.

They spend millions of dollars for some thirty second ad that they fill with memes and celebrities. Admittedly, these ads probably do a lot to bring awareness of a brand. But do national brands like Budweiser and Taco Bell really need the recognition? They're national brands; everyone knows what Skittles are.

Spending all this money for glitzy ads just seems like a monumental waste of money. Better to spend your time building a good product that people want to buy - not because of clever advertising, but because it's something they genuinely like.

I could understand the mentality of watching the superbowl for the commercials back when I was younger and the internet wasn't what it is now, but if you don't want to see the game there's no reason to watch it considering every commercial is going to be on youtube within hours. They aren't even good anymore anyway, everything is so forced like that puppy monkey baby thing. I don't even remember what product that was advertising.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That insurance ad where it showed all the horrible Six Feet Underish ways your children could die ruled

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I could understand the mentality of watching the superbowl for the commercials back when I was younger and the internet wasn't what it is now, but if you don't want to see the game there's no reason to watch it considering every commercial is going to be on youtube within hours. They aren't even good anymore anyway, everything is so forced like that puppy monkey baby thing. I don't even remember what product that was advertising.

Exactly. Calling it forced is probably a more succinct way to put it than I did.

Yeah, I've never taken so much pleasure in watching an ad campaign fail than "puppymonkeybaby". I'm so sick of meme commercials; they're always the most obnoxious ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

But do national brands like Budweiser and Taco Bell really need the recognition? They're national brands; everyone knows what Skittles are.

Fun fact, they do. I can't remember who it was (it was in the marketing fails thread somewhere), but there was some company that had a lion's share of their market, and decided to drop most of their marketing under the assumption you made: everyone knows about us, we don't need to do ads anymore.

The result? They drastically lost their market position, because the lack of marketing on their end (and what little marketing their competitors could do) was enough to drastically alter the landscape.