Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sweevo posted:

by the end commodore uk and commodore europe were the only ones keeping the company afloat, but at every turn they kept getting the rug pulled out by commodore HQ who thought they could sleaze their way to success like they had with the c64.

Commodore UK were plenty sleazy themselves

they were a uniform sponsor of Chelsea FC during their last years in business, which is quite an expensive proposition: when you sponsor a club at that level, you also have to pay it more when it wins

so of course they wanted to buy insurance against having to pay out some absurd amount of money if Chelsea won, but they found the insurance would be pretty expensive in itself

they had a plan though: they hired a bunch of shady young men across the UK to all place small bets on Chelsea matches within the same ten minutes so the bookmaking systems wouldn’t have time to react and change the odds (and therefore the payout)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

who did you piss off

the gods

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Current great idea status: installing a development environment on my 1040STF 4160STF

I’ve got VBCC installed and I’m working on getting a GNU environment going - a lot of tools were ported to TOS in the early 90s so I’ll have an old bash, GCC 2.5, make, gas, etc. mostly I want the bash because gulam (the standard ST shell everyone uses) doesn’t quite support VBCC’s configuration scripts

doing a lot of 19200bps xmodem copy operations lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
this blog is a great source of knowledge on async in c#/.net

and i also want to just dump in What Color is Your Function? because it is an interesting counterpoint to the popularity of async/await in modern langs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

was there an old port of the original Franz Lisp to the more command line-ish 68K personal computers like the ST and Amiga? there was a 68K variant, originally for Sun & friends, back when it was a Berkeley project

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don’t know. I have a copy of Cambridge Lisp on my ST.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

here’s the last public domain Franz Lisp code for both VAX and 68K, wonder how hard it is to port…

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

iirc it’s pretty easy to port Unix stuff to TOS as long as you can compile it with a C89 compiler (or vbcc’s C99 mode). there’s a vt52 console built into the OS. the text mode API is pretty simple and roughly corresponds to CP/M and DOS. you get free reign of the system, which is a basic 68K minicomputer.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

and i also want to just dump in What Color is Your Function? because it is an interesting counterpoint to the popularity of async/await in modern langs
thanks for these

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

redleader posted:

cleary’s blog is really great, i need to pick up his book soon.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

eschaton posted:

Franz Lisp

always makes me giggle

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

unless there’s an actual speech impediment that turns a t sound into a p, then maybe it’s not so funny

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

iirc it’s pretty easy to port Unix stuff to TOS as long as you can compile it with a C89 compiler (or vbcc’s C99 mode). there’s a vt52 console built into the OS. the text mode API is pretty simple and roughly corresponds to CP/M and DOS. you get free reign of the system, which is a basic 68K minicomputer.

what if it’s K&R C?

what size are short and int on VBCC?

and what’s the executable format used on TOS?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

now I’m thinking about bringing up the Atari ST stuff under MAME on my GPD Pocket

right now the only emulator I have running under MAME on my GPD Pocket is the Apollo emulation

it is pretty cool to boot Domain/OS though and soon there should be Aegis (the previous OS) tapes available…

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

what if it’s K&R C?

what size are short and int on VBCC?

and what’s the executable format used on TOS?

not sure. i know it's ANSI C with some C99 support.

short is 16 bits and int is 32 bits in m68k mode.

TOS uses a unique format that's similar enough to a.out that older binutils support it, GCC 4 is I think the last official version that can make TOS programs.

also, :toot:

i got emacs 18.55 up too.

MAME's ST support was garbage last time I checked, which is pretty weird since it's not a complicated machine, certainly less weird than the amiga

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 28, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maybe it’s a function of other good emulators being available

TOS using a format similar to a.out is good because it looks like it’d make Franz an easier port

seeing things about major and minor devices in the Franz source makes me nervous though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

major and minor devices? TOS supports device-independent I/O iirc

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

i thought on TOS they had trinary computers so probably the executables are pretty weird by 2018 standards

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well the good news is the MINT version of clib is mostly compatible with TOS through emulating POSIX calls

the bad news is the executables it spits out are gigantic and slow because it's emulating POSIX calls

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey guise did you know angularjs 1.x is :iamafag: superheroic :iamafag: ?

so. freaking. epic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

hey guise did you know angularjs 1.x is :iamafag: superheroic :iamafag: ?

so. freaking. epic.

ekxsplain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: *in coworker voice* REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE THE WE STORE ORIGINAL TEN loving, CAN YOU IMAGINE IT, TEN KILOFUCKINGBYTE LARGE ORIGINAL RESPONSES FROM A DATA PROVIDER, WE WILL RUN OUT OF MEMORY ON HOUR HARD DRIVE

we get like a few thousand of those per month, and they are stored on a db in our server farm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
today i thought it would be cute to push a branch with a "λ" in the name and it broke our entire build system for an hour while we tried to figure out how to remove the ref from git

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

that calculus doesn’t really. add up!

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

today i thought it would be cute to push a branch with a "λ" in the name and it broke our entire build system for an hour while we tried to figure out how to remove the ref from git

Dr. Shoegaze, please report to the test environment

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

didn't someone else in this thread have literally this experience but with an emoji

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I put a slash in a branch name once

don’t do that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pokeyman posted:

I put a slash in a branch name once

don’t do that

we do it all the time. feature/whatever, bugfix/whatever. works fine?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I forget what I broke but I think it was making a branch foo/bar then later someone made a branch foo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

didn't someone else in this thread have literally this experience but with an emoji

they had this experience
with an emoji
in a bank

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
sourcetree used to keep making a branch with the name HEAD somehow, and that hosed up git p bad

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

anthonypants posted:

It didn't cause any build issues, but I did once get a Talking To for a commit message with the poop emoji in it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the poop emoji was voiced by sir patrick stewart. hard to get more respectable than that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I had a branch hosed because on the local unix machine the branch names aren't case sensitive but they are in github, and I accidentally checked out a branch with the camel casing wrong and proceeded to lane about a dozen commits. Nothing seemed wrong until I tried to push to github.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

maybe it’s a function of other good emulators being available

TOS using a format similar to a.out is good because it looks like it’d make Franz an easier port

seeing things about major and minor devices in the Franz source makes me nervous though

when was there a franz source release?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when was there a franz source release?

the 1980s, it was originally public domain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the 1980s, it was originally public domain

wow i had no idea

circa 1987 lisp on a sun2 emulator, here i come

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/958558703644499968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

and it also doesn’t have a horrifying blue/orange/white/black color scheme

• Locked thread