Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I noticed that your anecdote mentioned a "we" who did the eating. Shouldn't this "we" be doing the cleanup?

My very wonderful wife did a lot of the cleanup. The pan is soaking so ideally the mozzarella has been taking damage over time from the hot soapy mix over the last 18 hours.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Olive! posted:

Cooking is cool and good and one of the only things I enjoy in this world

My mom really liked your chex mix recipe, by the way. I don't remember if I told yuou that already or not.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah it's so much cheaper to cook food yourself it's ridiculous. And it's not like you need a super expensive kitchen, an iron pan and a chef's knife and a wood cutting board and like 3 bowls will do it. Set something on fire and go.

Sig by Heather Papps

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

My mom really liked your chex mix recipe, by the way. I don't remember if I told yuou that already or not.

I don't remember posting a chex mix recipe and I think you're thinking of FaU but thanks

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Woops, my bad.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This is what's known in fine cooking as Mise En Place, which is French for Everything In Place. Basically be super anal about keeping all your tools and ingredients ready, and keep a schedule for prep, yeah. It cuts cooking time by like 9/10 and is absolutely essential in a professional kitchen.

I saw once a menu with all the prep times, said "that's the best idea ever!" and have still never done it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I know it's a rural area, but does everyone really not know the social contact of standing on the bus?

You occupy the farthest space people, it's not hard!

BoldFrankensteinMir

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I know it's a rural area, but does everyone really not know the social contact of standing on the bus?

You occupy the farthest space people, it's not hard!

Them's city rules, fella! Out here we have conversations with strangers, it's off-putting isn't it?

Sig by Heather Papps

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I grew up here but I guess I got spoiled by the big city ways.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

420 Blaise Pascal

BoldFrankensteinMir

TVs Very Own what are your opinions on how television has changed in your lifetime?

Sig by Heather Papps

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jolo posted:

I spent most of yesterday night making a Chicken Parmesan soup recipe that I found online. It turned out really well, but it also took like 3 hours of chopping onions and simmering them, shredding cheeses, mincing garlic, shredding chicken etc. When we'd finished eating, I gazed into the kitchen at the gigantic mess and briefly considered just abandoning the house completely and starting over fresh in a new city.

I think the problem with that is that it takes so much time and people don't really have a lot of time to do things these days.

Sometimes I'm too tired from a long busy day to prepare dinner

That kind of stuff sounds like a nice weekend thing to do for me but I feel that pain too well especially being a neat freak.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

TVs Very Own what are your opinions on how television has changed in your lifetime?

I had a long TV thing written and then Awful app poo poo the bed.
I don't like owning things or watching ads, so the current over the top model works pretty well. My mom hasn't paid for cable for 8 years. We have Crave and Netflix and she got me Crave so I could watch Star Trek so we're done with it when that's done.

sb hermit

Jolo posted:

I spent most of yesterday night making a Chicken Parmesan soup recipe that I found online. It turned out really well, but it also took like 3 hours of chopping onions and simmering them, shredding cheeses, mincing garlic, shredding chicken etc. When we'd finished eating, I gazed into the kitchen at the gigantic mess and briefly considered just abandoning the house completely and starting over fresh in a new city.

Once I spent so much time on a dish that it took multiple dishwasher loads and I still had to hand wash so much stuff in order to get everything clean.

I still love to cook but I use pam liberally now. The first time I tried cooking eggs on a non greased pan was the last time.

I don’t even really trust any of my non-stick pans anymore.

I have a cast iron pan that is always on my stove but, ironically, rarely gets used unless I’m cooking something with a high fat content (like bacon)

Jolo posted:

My very wonderful wife did a lot of the cleanup. The pan is soaking so ideally the mozzarella has been taking damage over time from the hot soapy mix over the last 18 hours.

patch tuesday hotfixes applied:

palmolive curse of grease penetration can be applied multiple times but has diminishing returns

bfm’s bold apron now provides additional defense vs splatter

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i once made a nice sou-flee but it was cursed so i had to throw it out

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Putty posted:

i once made a nice sou-flee but it was cursed so i had to throw it out

I think what you made was a "Soul-flee" common mistake. I'm guessing it went out pretty easily?

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

I recently went 9 months without a kitchen and let me tell you it loving sucks. Not only because you wind up eating horrible food all the time but it costs a goddamn fortune.

this is the loving truth, i am still without a working range, no hobs, and no calvins either

i am dying, please feed me something other than takeaway green beans and potatoes. i am dying. help.

BoldFrankensteinMir

hamjobs posted:

this is the loving truth, i am still without a working range, no hobs, and no calvins either

i am dying, please feed me something other than takeaway green beans and potatoes. i am dying. help.

Hotplate and skillet does work, in a pinch. Thrift stores have good kitchen gizmos usually. Rice-cooker and electric wok can also make a non-kitchen living much more pleasant.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

yeah thrift stores are a great place to find used rice cookers, crock pots, regular pots, hotplates, etc

TOOT BOOT

We have a hotplate and I don't recommend it. Eventually we just stopped using it altogether because veggies and soup can be microwaved and we have various things that works better if the food needs direction application of heat

Starman Super DX

alnilam posted:

yeah thrift stores are a great place to find used rice cookers, crock pots, regular pots, hotplates, etc

I used to turn my nose up at thrift stores but you can find some really cool poo poo there if you don't mind re-purposing or fixing some things. My girlfriend makes a whole business out of buying up vintage clothes and selling them back online, and meanwhile I like to check out the "stuff" and electronics section for various hidden valuables. Neat finds include an RCA Switch Box + S-Video (perfect for my old systems and old TV), a Game Doctor that resurfaces old discs (works better than one would think), a 720p PC monitor with HDMI with scratches (I use it as an auxiliary monitor but after applying some Vaseline it's very difficult to see the scratches without looking for them, particularly when it's on) and this awesome old thing-

he protects my PC from viruses AND evil spirits!

Tell me more!

Robot Made of Meat

Starman Super DX posted:

Yeah. "Protects." That's what he'd have you believe!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Lastgirl posted:

I think the problem with that is that it takes so much time and people don't really have a lot of time to do things these days.
I cook quite a lot. Most things take less time to cook than it would take to drive to a place, place an order, wait for them to bring me food and then drive home. And that's considering the whole cook time - if you only count the actual human-doing-stuff time where you have to be awake and paying attention then you have to be going nuts with something super fancy for it to take longer than even just getting taco bell, unless you live right next door to a taco bell.

Edit: delivery rules though. Nobody delivers to my neighborhood other than using some sort of third-party poo poo.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Crockpot really is the original cooking robot. Put stuff in it in the morning, come home to dinner. Carrots and onions and celery and meat, roasted together: that's like 3/4 of fine French cuisine right there.

Sig by Heather Papps

Papa Was A Video Toaster

My mom's FWB bought her an Instant Pot, so that's cool.

Starman Super DX

Crock pots are also great for babby's first "professional" meal since it's not hard to make food without following a recipe.

Tell me more!

Twenty Four

Jolo posted:

to get in the gang
you have to post a haiku
you can't? shoryuken

<--- Checks out

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Oh sweet. I hadn't looked at the Gangs page of SAclopedia for a while and those yobtags are all hecking amazing. It'll be a shame to pick just foure.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm just waiting it out. I've been eating a lot of salad. Salad is fine, it has things I like. But I'm getting teeth grind-y over not having my appliances from Menard's yet. Week nine hundred and seventy six of January.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also it'd be nice to be able to find my high quality live Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan stuff. I Remember is so loving good live and fits my mood today but the YouTube recordings are rear end, and I'm pretty sure Alice didn't send me any of my DVDs that I have left. I'm still unpacking, so I hope they're in the stuff.

TOOT BOOT

Starman Super DX posted:

I used to turn my nose up at thrift stores but you can find some really cool poo poo there if you don't mind re-purposing or fixing some things. My girlfriend makes a whole business out of buying up vintage clothes and selling them back online, and meanwhile I like to check out the "stuff" and electronics section for various hidden valuables. Neat finds include an RCA Switch Box + S-Video (perfect for my old systems and old TV), a Game Doctor that resurfaces old discs (works better than one would think), a 720p PC monitor with HDMI with scratches (I use it as an auxiliary monitor but after applying some Vaseline it's very difficult to see the scratches without looking for them, particularly when it's on) and this awesome old thing-

The problem around here is second hand sellers are savvy to the eBay market and just mark it up directly to eBay prices before it even goes on the floor. As far as I can tell some places decent stuff never even hits the floor, they ship it elsewhere to be listed on Amazon/Ebay.

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Oh sweet. I hadn't looked at the Gangs page of SAclopedia for a while and those yobtags are all hecking amazing. It'll be a shame to pick just foure.

Where did the hosed up tiny wolf one come from?

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

el dorito posted:

I tried cooking eggs on a non greased pan

hahahahhahahaa oh dang thanks for postin the funniest thing i ever read on the forums how am i gonna stop laughing before class tomorrow nite

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Crockpot really is the original cooking robot. Put stuff in it in the morning, come home to dinner. Carrots and onions and celery and meat, roasted together: that's like 3/4 of fine French cuisine right there.

yeah but im the new and improved cooking robot :c00lbert:

byob historian

TOOT BOOT posted:

We have a hotplate and I don't recommend it. Eventually we just stopped using it altogether because veggies and soup can be microwaved and we have various things that works better if the food needs direction application of heat

gently caress a microwave get a toaster oven and a book, your tastebuds gon thank me

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

gently caress a microwave get a toaster oven and a book, your tastebuds gon thank me

but I'm not even sure if I would like the taste of toasted book :saddowns:

Twenty Four

Olive! posted:

but I'm not even sure if I would like the taste of toasted book :saddowns:

I was going to make this joke then I read the next post and good job lol.

punchymcpunch

i can cook some stuff but im lazy, help

alnilam

TOOT BOOT posted:

The problem around here is second hand sellers are savvy to the eBay market and just mark it up directly to eBay prices before it even goes on the floor. As far as I can tell some places decent stuff never even hits the floor, they ship it elsewhere to be listed on Amazon/Ebay.

Most thrift stores around me don't do this, they have category-wide prices and you can find great stuff. However tgere has been a very recent trend here where "premium" secondhand stores go buy up all the good stuff from the cheap, simple thrifts and sell them for like $20 instead of 4. This results in a lot of the good finds disappearing before I get to them :(

I get it bc i love thrifting and i wouldn't mind making a job out of it, but as a thrift shopper it's cramping my style :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Jaded Burnout posted:

Where did the hosed up tiny wolf one come from?

*pours one out and sheds a tear for the hosed up tiny wolf*