Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I do recall there being something like that where you could manually re-run a episode/movie data search and edit the search name. I can't find it anymore, but the last time I remember that being there Project Mayhem was still the default skin and I was running it on an Xbox.

That said, if you're willing to enter the correct name manually why not just do it on the file and allow any number of automated tools to work properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Wait, so it's not just me? Like, that feature might have been actually removed? Oh god, please tell me you're joking.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Incorrect_and_missing_videos

#2 is what you are looking for. If the video didn't scrape into your library then it's in videos>files and when you press i it will bring up a search box. If it did scrape but it's wrong you will get the info screen with a description etc. On the bottom right is a button that says refresh (assuming the default skin). Pressing that will bring up the search for you to enter the proper name.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I thought you just push info on a file/folder and press the on-screen refresh button, then you get to manually search if something mismatched.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, the i button is info. It's not hidden or anything.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Yeah I know you beat me by a few seconds.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How well does Kodi run on an Apple TV 4K? I'm getting pretty sick of my crappy Mi Box and I'm not sure if I want to get a shield.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How well does Kodi run on an Apple TV 4K? I'm getting pretty sick of my crappy Mi Box and I'm not sure if I want to get a shield.

Why would you bother installing xcode, signing an app, sideloading and all that poo poo

when you can just install it right on the shield and let it update through the play store.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Might wanna check out the Vero 4k at https://www.osmc.tv little less than a shield and the Kodi forums seem pretty high on it.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

TomR posted:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Incorrect_and_missing_videos

#2 is what you are looking for. If the video didn't scrape into your library then it's in videos>files and when you press i it will bring up a search box. If it did scrape but it's wrong you will get the info screen with a description etc. On the bottom right is a button that says refresh (assuming the default skin). Pressing that will bring up the search for you to enter the proper name.

Thanks for confirming this for me. Pre-17, this is exactly how and what I would have (and had been doing) done. I just grabbed my remote and checked it - If Kodi has identified any title name (even if it is wrong), i works as you describe, and had been for years. If Kodi doesn't recognize a title name, the i button does nothing. In file browser, in two alphabetically adjacent folders, an improperly titled one can be easily renamed and have it link up, while an unrecognized name won't work.

Given that this is clearly aberrant behaviour, I guess I'm stuck assuming (a) I hosed up a keybinding months ago and was too dumb to notice, although that doesn't explain conflicting effects in the same folder view, or (b) I hosed up installing which 17.x version of Kodi I'm on.

If you say that i works just like it's always supposed to, and I can have "notld.avi" correctly re-titled to "Night of the Living Dead," then I guess a complete reinstall is in order! That sounds like fun given the size of my library.....:smith:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Something that always pisses me off is the inability to update my Kodi version, On both fire sticks and my android box. As I missing something?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

thegasman2000 posted:

Something that always pisses me off is the inability to update my Kodi version, On both fire sticks and my android box. As I missing something?

Install it through the Play Store and let it auto-update the same as every other app? That's how it works on Shield which is an "Android TV" box. Is it not in the play store for non-TV Android?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Sputnik posted:

Thanks for confirming this for me. Pre-17, this is exactly how and what I would have (and had been doing) done. I just grabbed my remote and checked it - If Kodi has identified any title name (even if it is wrong), i works as you describe, and had been for years. If Kodi doesn't recognize a title name, the i button does nothing. In file browser, in two alphabetically adjacent folders, an improperly titled one can be easily renamed and have it link up, while an unrecognized name won't work.

Given that this is clearly aberrant behaviour, I guess I'm stuck assuming (a) I hosed up a keybinding months ago and was too dumb to notice, although that doesn't explain conflicting effects in the same folder view, or (b) I hosed up installing which 17.x version of Kodi I'm on.

If you say that i works just like it's always supposed to, and I can have "notld.avi" correctly re-titled to "Night of the Living Dead," then I guess a complete reinstall is in order! That sounds like fun given the size of my library.....:smith:

It could be that whatever add-on does the searching is broken for you. Maybe go around forcing updates on things before you erase Kodi, just in case.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Slash posted:

Install it through the Play Store and let it auto-update the same as every other app? That's how it works on Shield which is an "Android TV" box. Is it not in the play store for non-TV Android?

On the fire stick it’s no on their “store” so that’s not possible... I need to learn more about he android boxes play store then! Thanks for the tip. Just weird the app itself can’t update?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

thegasman2000 posted:

On the fire stick it’s no on their “store” so that’s not possible... I need to learn more about he android boxes play store then! Thanks for the tip. Just weird the app itself can’t update?

Doesn't make sense for every single app to develop and maintain their own update solutions when the platform always ships with a package manager.

If anything, blame Amazon for kicking Kodi out of their app catalog.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Sputnik posted:

Hello future people of the internet who suddenly find that manually re-tagging files doesn't work! I am here to tell you that a thorough reinstall will solve it all! gently caress your add-ons, your preferences, and your afternoon! Hit the big ol' reset button and Merry Christmas!~

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kodi officially on the XBOX. Who woulda thunk it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its slowly rolling out so dont be surprised if its not available yet for you.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Finally I can retire my bedroom fire stick! It’s the 18.0 alpha so it’s going to take a while for stuff to work right but now the whole Xbox crowd is onboard :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Don't get too excited yet. Aside from the expected 18 Alpha issues it has a lot of limitations (for example, only NFS is supported for network shares) and other restrictions due to the platform. And a lot of addons don't work with it yet, though I expect many will get updated soon enough.

Dive in and help by filing bug reports with logs but don't toss your other device just yet in other words.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why would you not use nfs filthy casual

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Can someone share their emulator setup for kodi, or just a firetv in general? I got a bluetooth controller for christmas but every emulator has massive input lag for me. Maybe the controller just doesn't like Kodi or my FireTV? I'm not sure.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamn I can't for the life of me get the hardware acceleration working under Windows with the 64-bit nightly releases. Everything looks like it'll work and then Kodi just gives a black screen with audio with the overlay info showing that hardware decoding is inactive.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Crossposting this from the Home networking thread, hoping someone has an answer for me.

At home I have a Synology NAS serving content to several PC´s running Kodi as well as also hosting a centralized Mysql database so that available content and watched status is synchronized across all instances of Kodi.
I have now installed Kodi on my table for accessing the content remotely while I´m away from home. I´m connecting through Webdav and that works just fine for watching everything that is stored on the NAS.
After I had that part of it in order I created a Advancedsettings.xml file for Kodi to access the mysql database as well so that whatever I watched on my tablet would change the watched status for my home instances of Kodi. However this does not work the way I would like, the database has the location off all the content based off of a local IP in the 192.168.0.x range and my tablet which is not on the home network will not find the content. Is there any way to make this work with the database just as it does on my home network ?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Arvid posted:

Crossposting this from the Home networking thread, hoping someone has an answer for me.

At home I have a Synology NAS serving content to several PC´s running Kodi as well as also hosting a centralized Mysql database so that available content and watched status is synchronized across all instances of Kodi.
I have now installed Kodi on my table for accessing the content remotely while I´m away from home. I´m connecting through Webdav and that works just fine for watching everything that is stored on the NAS.
After I had that part of it in order I created a Advancedsettings.xml file for Kodi to access the mysql database as well so that whatever I watched on my tablet would change the watched status for my home instances of Kodi. However this does not work the way I would like, the database has the location off all the content based off of a local IP in the 192.168.0.x range and my tablet which is not on the home network will not find the content. Is there any way to make this work with the database just as it does on my home network ?
Path substitution should resolve your issue with the address being unreasonable.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

Having a world-accessible database isn't exactly consider best practice, though.

I'd look into Trakt for synchronizing watched state (and I think it now also supports syncing playback position) between devices, or alternatively Emby considering you're going all in on the client/server type of setup.

I'm running Emby for tablets and access away from home, but with my HTPC still running its separate local database in Kodi because I find Emby's scrapers to be shittier in general. Trakt has them in sync so it doesn't really matter.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Keito posted:

Path substitution should resolve your issue with the address being unreasonable.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

Thank you, this looks like it´s just what I need!

Update: Path substitution worked like a charm, I can read the database and play content. The last showstopper now is updating the database. When I choose update library it´s just stuck at "Preparing...". I assume it´s some sort of path that´s wrong or something here as well but I´m not sure where to start looking into this?

Arvid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 25, 2018

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Oops wrong thread

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2018

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Can someone share their emulator setup for kodi, or just a firetv in general? I got a bluetooth controller for christmas but every emulator has massive input lag for me. Maybe the controller just doesn't like Kodi or my FireTV? I'm not sure.

I haven't used the 8Bitdo controllers but they have a really good reputation for input latency, so it's probably not that, but it might be a nice sanity check to try with a wired controller to compare.

If you're using Retroarch and it lets you turn on "Hard GPU Sync" on the FireTV, try that.

Unfortunately right now, there aren't any nice ways to integrate rom/game browsing into Kodi that don't require a ton of busywork up front. Personally I'm a fan of Advanced Emulator Launcher, but you need to commit an afternoon or two to get everything working right on your end. It has nice views and metadata scraping though. Maybe it's easier on Android though, I've never tried that.

The good news is that Kodi 18 will have its own integrated libretro player (NOT retroarch), so when that comes around you should be able to use Kodi as an out of the box solution for anything that libretro supports.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The 8bitdo controllers work in wired mode too. I've never been able to get acceptable latency out of my NES30 Pros in bluetooth mode, disappointingly, but they're great wired.

whsa
Apr 24, 2008
So the spectre/meltdown patches for server 2012 seem to have caused regular bsods to occur on my N54L (16gb ram, 4 largish drives, ssd for os).

I'm thinking about changing OS. I run sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, plex and smb to kodi on my shield tv, plus some windows and macos clients for backups.

I'm not scared of the command line though I only know basic incantations so would be looking at a guide. Up until now, windows server has been flawless, so I

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or make a flat out recommendation?

Thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

whsa posted:

So the spectre/meltdown patches for server 2012 seem to have caused regular bsods to occur on my N54L (16gb ram, 4 largish drives, ssd for os).

I'm thinking about changing OS. I run sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, plex and smb to kodi on my shield tv, plus some windows and macos clients for backups.

I'm not scared of the command line though I only know basic incantations so would be looking at a guide. Up until now, windows server has been flawless, so I

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or make a flat out recommendation?

Thanks!

Xpenology

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Speaking of, I just upgraded my Xpenology to 6.whatever, which now natively supports Docker containers. I'm considering attempting to install Kodi on my NAS in order to receive the library push notifications from my downloaders (so we won't have to update the MySQL library manually on our actual Kodi box). Has anyone tried this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Speaking of, I just upgraded my Xpenology to 6.whatever, which now natively supports Docker containers. I'm considering attempting to install Kodi on my NAS in order to receive the library push notifications from my downloaders (so we won't have to update the MySQL library manually on our actual Kodi box). Has anyone tried this?

If you are using sonarr it can just tell xbmc to run a scan when something downloads.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm using sickrage, and yeah that's the idea but the Kodi box is usually off when something finishes downloading. Hence the idea of running a headless Kodi on the NAS itself (which is always on). Looks like someone has already put together a Docker image so I'll probably give this a shot this weekend.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, one of the major reasons to use Emby or Plex with Kodi as the front end on your tvs is that new shows are indexed by their server processes.

Then the corresponding plugin keeps the Kodi database in sync with the backend.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I'm using sickrage, and yeah that's the idea but the Kodi box is usually off when something finishes downloading. Hence the idea of running a headless Kodi on the NAS itself (which is always on). Looks like someone has already put together a Docker image so I'll probably give this a shot this weekend.

Have kodi scan when it wakes up/turns on.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Have kodi scan when it wakes up/turns on.

It does but it takes several minutes.

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, one of the major reasons to use Emby or Plex with Kodi as the front end on your tvs is that new shows are indexed by their server processes.

Then the corresponding plugin keeps the Kodi database in sync with the backend.

I'll look into those. The server processes can run on the NAS?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It does but it takes several minutes.

Really? How many items do you have? Mine takes a few seconds to scan. Thats 4200 files in 268 folders.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Strange, I guess that's the real problem then. I'm not sure exactly how many items but probably around that size.

This has been happening for several years, across many versions of XBMC/Kodi, OpenElec on a Zbox and now a Shield. I've had the NAS pretty much that whole time, connected by ethernet so the speeds are fine. I'm using FTP, could that be the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Strange, I guess that's the real problem then. I'm not sure exactly how many items but probably around that size.

This has been happening for several years, across many versions of XBMC/Kodi, OpenElec on a Zbox and now a Shield. I've had the NAS pretty much that whole time, connected by ethernet so the speeds are fine. I'm using FTP, could that be the issue?

Yes, that is the issue lol. Use SMB or NFS. NFS is preferred but SMB is fine as well.