Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"Thank gently caress I don't live there anymore" is what I've heard from South African ex-pats in general.

The even bigger water issue (but maybe this is just Pretoria and Johannesburg) is that they completely gutted their EPA so the water that's already there is hazardous. My 60 year old manager used to swim in a reservoir outside of one of those cities (I forget where he was as a kid) and there were big expensive houses being built on the waterfront. Now there's a constant cover of scum and mold on the reservoir and the houses are dirt-cheap or unoccupied because nobody wants to live near the smell.
Well maybe if he hadn't swam in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's a hellscape of a nation.

Wife's uncle in ZA had all the windows smashed on his car and had some stuff stolen out of it, including a coat. It was walking distance from the police station, and they never came to investigate. So he walks in to make a report, and the officer at the front desk is wearing the coat that was just stolen out of his car. He chose not to make a report.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

canyoneer posted:

It's a hellscape of a nation.

Wife's uncle in ZA had all the windows smashed on his car and had some stuff stolen out of it, including a coat. It was walking distance from the police station, and they never came to investigate. So he walks in to make a report, and the officer at the front desk is wearing the coat that was just stolen out of his car. He chose not to make a report.

I understand that District 9, absent the aliens, is basically a documentary.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Splicer posted:

Well maybe if he hadn't swam in it

Don’t homeless-shame :colbert:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Ask / Tell > Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles > Bad With Money 2018: Imagine 4 horses rearing backwards over a cliff. Bitcoin works the same way.

:siren: MODS :siren:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah I would maybe try and address some factual, money-related content in this "gently caress you your country is a hellhole" shitstorm, but nah.

I'll leave it as a (monetary!) exercise to the reader to determine whether the Department of Environmental Affairs or the Department of Water And Sanitation (previously Water and Forestry) had their budgets gutted post-Apartheid.

http://www.treasury.gov.za/documents/national%20budget/Budget%20Review%201993.pdf
http://www.treasury.gov.za/documents/national%20budget/2017/ene/FullENE.pdf
http://www.inflationcalc.co.za/?date1=1993-01-01&date2=2017-01-01&amount=230000000

For some discussion of the factors underlying the infrastructural debt in the South African water supply, this document is a much better source than the anecdotes of an angry old ex-pat and his internet white knights:

http://wsp.org/sites/wsp.org/files/publications/CSO-SouthAfrica.pdf

Please enjoy this Derail Hornbill.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, maybe you should have posted those rather than saying anyone who thinks South Africa is terrible is a racist old man? I was taking his word on the EPA being gutted thing, maybe there’s a different reason the water is terrible where he lived/goes back to visit.

Posting your own derail bird after contributing to a derail should be considered trying to get the last word. Although posting a different type of bird related to the derail might be a different story.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah I would maybe try and address some factual, money-related content in this "gently caress you your country is a hellhole" shitstorm, but nah.

Like you addressing some factual details on someone being a racists?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also you’re the only one who mentioned post-apartheid when it came to the budget. There’s a lot more time for budgets to change than around the end of apartheid. You really want to make this about race, don’t you?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Dude your knee jerk multipost reaction of "tryna make it about race HUH" is honestly just as bad. Let it go

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Did you know that hornbills and toucans are actually unrelated? Their somewhat similarly large beaks are a result of convergent evolution.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 31, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Dude your knee jerk multipost reaction of "tryna make it about race HUH" is honestly just as bad. Let it go

I hadn’t thought about that part until like 20 minutes later, after someone else had posted. If someone else posts I reply rather than edit. :shrug:

The hornbill would be adorable if it wasn’t for the gigantic chunk of dried mango on its head. Can we at least agree on that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My partner was driving for Lyft, got in a minor accident, we have full coverage with Liberty Mutual insurance, but they won't offer any assistance since the accident occurred during a ride share. Not sure what to do now, or if this is the correct sub to ask for advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7u21ak/my_partner_was_driving_for_lyft_got_in_a_minor/ posted:

Expanded version: last Saturday night, my partner had passengers in her car when she got in a minor collision with another (ironically) Lyft driver who was between rides. My partners car had substantial damage, and was undrivable.

Since the accident happened at an intersection where a local rapid commute light rail track ran through, local transit authorities called a tow company on their own accord, which promptly came and stole her vehicle to be taken to a tow yard while we were on the phone with our insurance making arrangements for our own tow truck that insurance would cover. The officer on scene deemed no driver was at fault, and did not make a report. Now 3 days have passed, and the car is still in the tow yard, racking up storage fees.

Our insurance doesn't want to touch the case since it was a Lyft incident, and won't even cover a rental car while we get everything sorted out. Today, finally, someone got in touch with us from Lyft saying they will not cover any towing or storage fees ($300), and they have a $2,500 deductable. We are both college students, and while financially responsible, cannot afford that kind of money for repairs. Does anyone have any advice to offer for what to do next? We feel as though we have exhausted all options, filing claims with both sides, but getting shut down either way we go. Any advice is appreciated.
Uber/Lyfting without understanding how insurance reacts to rideshare claims("get it the gently caress out of our risk pool now") is BWM.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Haifisch posted:

My partner was driving for Lyft, got in a minor accident, we have full coverage with Liberty Mutual insurance, but they won't offer any assistance since the accident occurred during a ride share. Not sure what to do now, or if this is the correct sub to ask for advice.

Uber/Lyfting without understanding how insurance reacts to rideshare claims("get it the gently caress out of our risk pool now") is BWM.

Working for Uber/Lyft seems BWM in its own right.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Domestic Amuse posted:

Working for Uber/Lyft seems BWM in its own right.
It is, but how insurance treats it is one of the easier to demonstrate factors as to why. The other factors are things people have a lot of trouble internalizing, like how much extra wear and tear their car is going through, how much extra gas they're paying for, how bad their hourly looks depending on unpaid time waiting for a fare/traveling to a fare, etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm eagerly awaiting the tax return horror stories from people who don't understand how to loving follow the dot on the Uber app to find me, let alone the precarious financial situation they have opted to pursue

Mostly because I personally withheld too little (from non Uber related income) and now owe 2K 😠

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I haven’t looked into it, but from what I can tell you’re basically trading car value and your time for immediate cash.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
MMM actually had an article about this a few months ago. I'm usually ambivalent about his stuff(which tends to push copying his lifestyle and insulting you if you don't), but he's pretty on the nose here. There's also a terrifying bit about some parent trusting random Uber drivers to get their elementary and middle schoolers home.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Haifisch posted:

MMM actually had an article about this a few months ago. I'm usually ambivalent about his stuff(which tends to push copying his lifestyle and insulting you if you don't), but he's pretty on the nose here. There's also a terrifying bit about some parent trusting random Uber drivers to get their elementary and middle schoolers home.

I might be one of the only ones here but I really actually quite like the way he writes. We don't live a lot of our life in accordance with Mustachianism but he clearly thinks a lot about these topics.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I might be one of the only ones here but I really actually quite like the way he writes. We don't live a lot of our life in accordance with Mustachianism but he clearly thinks a lot about these topics.

Highlight from the article on how to make money on Uber, now you just need a cut of the downline:

Use the referral and bonus system heavily. Actual driving doesn’t pay well, but I have seen bonuses pop up on my app offering between $100-$500 to refer other drivers. There are also “weekly guarantee” offers that come up occasionally, offering more pay in exchange for meeting a certain threshold.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

crazypeltast52 posted:

Highlight from the article on how to make money on Uber, now you just need a cut of the downline:

Use the referral and bonus system heavily. Actual driving doesn’t pay well, but I have seen bonuses pop up on my app offering between $100-$500 to refer other drivers. There are also “weekly guarantee” offers that come up occasionally, offering more pay in exchange for meeting a certain threshold.

Yeah, there are people who earn money just recruiting other drivers and rarely if ever drive themselves.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-uber-king-joseph-ziyaee-uses-driver-referrals-to-make-money-2016-2

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Your manager is just a racist old white rear end in a top hat, as are most of your "thank gently caress I don't live there anymore" friends.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/national/science-and-environment/2017-12-11-travellers-to-fly-jozi-water-to-thirsty-cape-town-on-friday/

My entire family was heavily involved in anti-apartheid protests. My uncle was involved in a number of protests on the UCT campus leading to his arrest, he emigrated to the UK in the 1980s because apartheid is loving awful. My aunt and her husband emigrated to Australia also in the 80s also for apartheid is poo poo reasons. Her husband who was a nuclear physicist somehow got employed by the state but was never allowed to touch anything or do anything or know anything because of his very anti apartheid political leanings. My mom was very involved in the black sash organisation and I was dutifully dragged to all their charity raising events and so forth. We were also supposed to emigrate to Australia, also for apartheid is poo poo reasons but inconveniently my mom died of cancer so I ended up growing up and finishing my education in South Africa.

And when your neighbors, and I am not exaggerating here, get broken into, tied up, and stabbed by screwdrivers and raped until dead (happened more than once, obviously different neighbors because of being dead reasons!), you get to be grateful that that isn't your reality anymore.

Well done, you found the racists, good job!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I though we had finally went past this derail as I was reading several actually interesting posts. But no......somebody has to keep beating that flipped over dead horse.

If you haven't figured out that nobody is going to win here you av may actually be a picture of you.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, there are people who earn money just recruiting other drivers and rarely if ever drive themselves.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-uber-king-joseph-ziyaee-uses-driver-referrals-to-make-money-2016-2

Do these people get money from their downline recruits recruiting more people? I have an idea...

Speaking of, #LuLaLeaks is in full gear right now and poo poo's crazy. These are texts from LLR owner Deanne Brady (DL = Deanne LuLaRoe) to high status members of her empire.

Now why would Dear Leader encourage her potato sack saleswomen to get weight loss and plastic surgery in Mexico? Well the clinic in Tijuana happens to be owned by a cousin of Deanne, so the money from the surgeries gets funneled to her as well.

e: bonus

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 31, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
LLR is really leaning hard into an "openly mock people with Down syndrome" campaign currently, it appears.

I don't know how much of the blowback is that and how much is...oh yeah, they're still a goddam pyramid scheme (see, I had to tie this back to BWM somehow, you won't see ME contributing to a derail) :smug:

e: this thread title is an all-timer, I laugh every time I think about it ("Looks like she's upside down on her horse mortgage", for anyone reading this in not-January 2018)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

First page photo is absolutely perfect, too.

This'll never get old.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Domestic Amuse posted:

This'll never get old.

It's the rear legs on the horse that gets me every time. The way they are just straight out says that this is do or die for the horse.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like his writing and view the style as a sort of... act. It’s meant to get your attention. If it pissed someone off, it got their attention.

I went with a friend to meet him in person and he generally seems like a pretty alright dude.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Domestic Amuse posted:

This'll never get old.

Poor ol' freckles, thought of how much they cost their owner and died

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we should do horse gifs instead of toucan pics

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:byodame: "BREE-ANNA! Get the Horse insurance claims adjustor on the line! We need to see if the Horse Mortgage lender will waive the interest while we process our claim or else I won't have enough money to cover the dog chef for the month!"

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

:byodame: "BREE-ANNA! Get the Horse insurance claims adjustor on the line! We need to see if the Horse Mortgage lender will waive the interest while we process our claim or else I won't have enough money to cover the dog chef for the month!"

Dog chef? Is it our chef that cooks for dogs or the dog that knows how to cook? I can't give up both!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

DMCrimson posted:

Dog chef? Is it our chef that cooks for dogs or the dog that knows how to cook? I can't give up both!

Chef that cooks dogs?

quote:

Bali is a popular destination for Western and Australian tourists. Attracting both budget backpackers and luxury honeymooners, it’s the most developed Indonesian island.

But according to a new report, visitors to the island are being duped and unknowingly eating dog meat that they think is chicken.

Animal protection organisation Animals Australia recently conducted an investigation into the matter, entitled “Bali's hidden meat trade - and its disturbing connection to Australian tourism.”

They found that every day, dogs - including pets - are being taken off the streets of Bali and killed, often brutally, to be sold as meat to tourists.

“And business is booming. Year on year, seven times more dogs are slaughtered in Bali than in China’s notorious Yulin Dog Eating Festival.”

It’s reportedly street food vendors who are most likely to be selling dog meat as chicken, but about 70 restaurants in Bali have been found to sell dog meat too.

Often it’s sold with the word “satay,” and the sellers allow tourists to presume it’s chicken.

Some people in Bali are fighting to end the trade though - the Balinese Animal Welfare Association, for example, works to protect the island’s dogs.

They’re currently looking after about 150 dogs, but it’s a long way off the estimated 70,000 that are slaughtered every year for the dog meat trade

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Been thinking about those dogs...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Google has been serving up increasingly depraved ads these days.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cheap, delicious meat and a way to resolve what is assuredly a large number if unwanted stray dogs? Sounds like Bali's GWM...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vox Nihili posted:

LOL "Put bitcoin in my IRA" is the "Pos my neg hole" of investing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

LOL "Put bitcoin in my IRA" is the "Pos my neg hole" of investing.
G...gesundheit?

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Vox Nihili posted:

At least this will keep some idiots from incurring withdraw penalties from their IRA when they dip in to buy crypto. So I guess its Better With Money while still being terribly BWM.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haifisch posted:

:lol:

MMM posted:

I was surprised that both companies immediately dismissed all of these suggestions, with a round of vague excuses. This was a disappointment to the Economic Libertarian in me, because it seems obvious that an open market between buyer and seller is the key to more efficiency.
When these companies deliberately tilt the field, they are being sneaky, which causes them to lose public trust, which causes the public to vote in a bunch of sclerotic regulation to protect the drivers and the public. If you, as a company, just avoid being a dick to people in the first place and treat them with complete openness and good old-fashioned honesty, they are more likely to let you run free.