Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Agreed. Maybe High On Fire, but I consider them to have elements of sludge rather than being purely sludge. I would use stuff like Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Gluey Porch Treatments by the Melvins, etc. None of the bands that dude listed I would describe as sludge.

Neurosis are like the definitive "atmospheric sludge" band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

We played with Mastodon right after Remission came out and I saw Brent butt-rear end naked, anyway that's my story.

This is the least surprising Mastodon story in the world

I think i've been lucky in that I saw them three times and they were really good each time, but they were the main show or a festival headliner each time. Others say they aren't nearly so good when they are playing as a festival undercard.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Stumbled upon this newish Russian band playing old school death metal. Pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybF7VG9mdLA

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

skasion posted:

Yeah, for the last decade or so

Yep, it's really a matter of preference, but for me Mastodon stopped being relevant after Blood Mountain. Most people place the band's peak at Crack the Skye, but I think nothing compares to the raw excellence of the first three albums.

Bolt Thrower

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

I think i've been lucky in that I saw them three times and they were really good each time, but they were the main show or a festival headliner each time. Others say they aren't nearly so good when they are playing as a festival undercard.

Saw them touring with Metallica for Blood Mountain and their performance back then as a support act was unreal. They outclassed Metallica in every way, but that was a decade ago and they were really kickin rear end at the time. I've been passing their shows since, it seems I'm not such a big Mastodon fan after all lol.

Snowy posted:

Weird, none of them would be among the first I'd use to describe sludge to anyone.

Karma to Burn

But I'd class Kylesa as sludge any day, idk what's wrong with that

Also HIGH ON FIRE is one of the most kickass, most consistent and most loving legendary bands out there.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 30, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat I've seen Metallica twice and each time they've utterly destroyed the openers in terms of quality.

Then again, on this last tour, it's not a hard job to follow up Volbeat and goddamn Avenged Sevenfold.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Leprous fuckin crush live, except they dont play anything from Bilateral or Tall Poppy :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

tote up a bags posted:

Leprous fuckin crush live, except they dont play anything from Bilateral or Tall Poppy :(

I am very excited to see them with BTBAM in March

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mr. Pickles posted:

Also HIGH ON FIRE is one of the most kickass, most consistent and most loving legendary bands out there.

Totally agree, I just never considered them sludge, but the term is way too broadly used imo. I also don’t like nitpicking sub genres so I’m admittedly a little clueless with my definition. :downs:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well there are many words describing roughly the same thing. Its like, the more pop oriented version of sludge is labelled stoner rock, and then you have sludge which is more metal than stoner, and ultimately when the beat drops too low kids call it doom. Matt Pike probably gives 0 fucks about all this, since he like, invented that poo poo. He splintered from Sleep to make metal, and that's exactly what he does.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
High on Fire are generally considered stoner metal, but they’re really their own thing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I've seen people call Isis, Cult of Luna and the like Sludge, which confused me at first because I'd always seen them called Post Metal previously. I always think of Sludge as anything that sounds like Iron Monkey. Also Slugdge are definitely not Sludge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRn_dGg4xeI

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 30, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

il_cornuto posted:

I've seen people call Isis, Cult of Luna and the like Sludge, which confused me at first because I'd always seen them called Post Metal previously. I always think of Sludge as anything that sounds like Iron Monkey. Also Slugdge are definitely not Sludge.

Both of those bands started out as extremely Neurosis-influenced sludge before moving in more of a post-rock direction.

There really wasn't much post-metal about this back in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXmRq3QvHU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe this just shows how poorly defined the Sludge label is, I always just thought of the early Neurosis/Isis stuff as being on the heavier end of Post Metal. It doesn't have the bluesy bassy riffing of the Sludge bands.

Edit: Most of this is coming from growing up with British music magazines and friends, maybe it's a regional thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Post-Metal and Atmospheric Sludge are interchangeable genre terms. They're both horrible names so nobody ever settled on one but the latter is more descriptive.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sludge means you're from new orleans and you do heroin

Vulture Culture posted:

There really wasn't much post-metal about this back in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXmRq3QvHU

other than the fact it's a godflesh cover

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 30, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
hey look a chance to post a good ISIS song that's also 20 years old this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caObFZhzoG8

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If it isn't out of NOLA, it's not real sludge.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

harvey milk's the one exception

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

that's a really ignorant statement. Florida has a lot of amazing (and seminal) Sludge bands

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Weaponized Cum posted:

that's a really ignorant statement. Florida has a lot of amazing (and seminal) Sludge bands

But Grief and Corrupted aren’t from Florida :confused:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sludge means you're from new orleans and you do heroin

This basically sums it up yeah. Sludge is hardcore punk mixed with doom metal. Often with a lot of blues mixed in.

Red Fang and Baroness being sludge is wrong :comeback:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

harvey milk's the one exception

Much like the Melvins, they influenced it. The only other way to say sludge metal is - EYEHATEGOD.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eyehategod and sludge are synonymous

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
EHG is basically the only band that I describe as sludge, so, yeah.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for reminding me about Kylesa, just been cranking Scapegoat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/01/30/demons-slayed-addiction-recovery-heavy-metal/

I know most online metal media is pretty bad but this is nice

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Much like the Melvins, they influenced it. The only other way to say sludge metal is - EYEHATEGOD.

well yeah but if we're gonna play the origin game then we might as well just drop side b of my war and be done with it

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If Black Sabbath was from New Orleans instead of Birmingham, we'd call them sludge metal too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Laughing at the posers who don't know real sludge started with Beethoven

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I always figured sludge was just shouty fast doom.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Laughing at the posers who don't know real sludge started with Beethov*en

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nice

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Parachute posted:

hey look a chance to post a good ISIS song that's also 20 years old this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caObFZhzoG8

They were an ok band i guess but their recent activities in the middle east have really soured me on them

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Beethoven was doom as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU

The guy could do it all,a true chameleon,the judas priest of classical music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mozart was simultaneously doom and shred, clearly the GOAT

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
paganini was the shredmaster

e: i'm an old fart who learned guitar back before the internet let you watch a billion janitor sweeping videos on youtube so we had cool-rear end books like this, with a tape. not even cd but tape

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 31, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

paganini was the shredmaster

e: i'm an old fart who learned guitar back before the internet let you watch a billion janitor sweeping videos on youtube so we had cool-rear end books like this, with a tape. not even cd but tape

Not even joking I’m tracking that book down asap

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks for reminding me about Kylesa, just been cranking Scapegoat.

Kylesa will always be the band with the best opening track on every album, they follow a formula but its a loving great formula. Scapegoat and Tired Climb and Exhale :discourse:

Edit: and just found out they broke up in 2016 after Exhausting Fire, for fucks sake

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Not even joking I’m tracking that book down asap

it's not very good. mostly snippets of string parts from a couple dozen pieces and no backing arrangements or anything