Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

*guy who owns a home, expensive bikes, vehicles and has two incomes and no dependants*
"you guys are soooo priveledged not like me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
That 10 year old was legit terrifying

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Jury trial is weird for most cases. Dude killed someone fleeing the scene of an alleged potential burglary which is not in any possible scenario deserving of using deadly force. The only question at this point was if the farmer purposefully shot to kill because he was so angry that his property may have been at risk he wanted to murder someone, or if it was "just" insanely negligent use of a firearm.

Yeah there's a reason lawyers will tell you to go jury trial 100% of the time if you're facing serious charges.

With a judge you have to convince lawyer, with decades of experience and a reputation to protect that you're innocent.

With a jury, you only have to convince one out of twelve average people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Reince Penis posted:

Yeah there's a reason lawyers will tell you to go jury trial 100% of the time if you're facing serious charges.

With a judge you have to convince lawyer, with decades of experience and a reputation to protect that you're innocent.

With a jury, you only have to convince one out of twelve average people.

Does it depend if you're factually guilty or innocent? If I were guilty, I'd take a trial by jury any day, but if I were innocent and my defence rested on something that's even remotely difficult to understand, part of me would rather deal with a judge.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Does it depend if you're factually guilty or innocent? If I were guilty, I'd take a trial by jury any day, but if I were innocent and my defence rested on something that's even remotely difficult to understand, part of me would rather deal with a judge.

quote:

jury trial 100% of the time

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Plus the farmer said that the gun "just went off"

so you're saying you managed a head-shot on a dude in a car. If you didn't have the intention to shoot and it just went off, that's the most insane magical shot ever because you must not have been aiming at them. Because y'know, if you aim a firearm at someone you are attempting to kill them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya dude went and got his gun and then went back outside which is dumb AF and at that point it's just a matter of degrees of bad. Only situation I can see where he isn't completely screwed is if the defense convinces the just that the kid was trying to run him over at that point.

As for pretending to be blue collar, I'm posting from work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

*if you’re white

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Ya dude went and got his gun and then went back outside which is dumb AF and at that point it's just a matter of degrees of bad. Only situation I can see where he isn't completely screwed is if the defense convinces the just that the kid was trying to run him over at that point.

Nice open concept workshare space imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

PT6A posted:

As endlessly fascinating as speculating about the facts of Colten Boushie's murder is, it still has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that peremptory challenges were used to select a jury with no First Nations members. Regardless of the facts of the case, that will permanently colour the interpretation of the verdict if it's an acquittal and contribute to anger within First Nations communities, whether justified or not.

All coulda been avoided if they found a Blackfoot/Blood to sit on the jury

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

I ressent being called Stemlord just cuz Im on an internet forum; im ackually terrible at science terknology english and music.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hey guys ive been playing guitar for a few weeks so im clearly a musician now and can criticize all you non musicians

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This apartment building that caught fire and we're rebuilding is going to be pretty nice once it's done too bad the location is in the ghetto so their tenants will probably just trash the place or set it on fire again.

Also truth be told I'm not working here long because a legit low stress job a 2 min walk from my place as a full time bike mechanic opened up and I'm gonna take it for a year or two to chill and unstress my sadbrains.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

Also truth be told I'm not working here long because a legit low stress job a 2 min walk from my place as a full time bike mechanic opened up and I'm gonna take it for a year or two to chill and unstress my sadbrains.

*sincereposts*

Good for you man. Stop posting and get your poo poo sorted, these stupid internet arguments aren't helping you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Posting in D&D is super bad for stress levels and brain sads, specially this nasty thread. Taking a break from the thread might be good, it's not a kind place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

*sincereposts*

Good for you man. Stop posting and get your poo poo sorted, these stupid internet arguments aren't helping you.

Yeah agreed. Hope it treats you well Joven, you deserve peace.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:smugdon:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 9, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Joven you're a terrible poster sometimes, just as others here are including me, but everyone deserves to be happiness, healthiness, and peace. Good luck dude.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.bnn.ca/shaw-offering-buyouts-to-6-500-staff-amid-major-company-overhaul-1.982932

Welp, looks like I'm losing my job either now or later. Is taking the buyout a no-brainer? (Six months plus one month per year of service). Thinking of getting a post-secondary education with the windfall.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, that actually makes me feel better.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Gonna LOL @ PCPO right now, just because

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.bnn.ca/shaw-offering-buyouts-to-6-500-staff-amid-major-company-overhaul-1.982932

Welp, looks like I'm losing my job either now or later. Is taking the buyout a no-brainer? (Six months plus one month per year of service). Thinking of getting a post-secondary education with the windfall.

I dunno dude, you need education to do anything now. I was tossed out of a job offer from a hiring manager because HR didn't like my degree. Meanwhile I worked for their direct competitor for years.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Between you guys and Mr Heater, my heart has been sufficiently warmed. :unsmith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Between you guys and Mr Heater, my heart has been sufficiently warmed. :unsmith:

Mr. heater looks like a good pal. Godspeed duder.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

I dunno dude, you need education to do anything now. I was tossed out of a job offer from a hiring manager because HR didn't like my degree. Meanwhile I worked for their direct competitor for years.

I'd be going to school full-time. Rough estimate is $50,000 before taxes, and since the news broke our stock price has been jumping so I'd also be cashing out my options.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

What are the odds of your position surviving the cuts and also not sucking so bad you want to walk? You're basically gambling at least a half a years pay on it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

Good luck with your gear touching, that sounds very chill.

I sometimes wear a hardhat and safety boots to work, does this make me honorary blue-collar?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

What are the odds of your position surviving the cuts and also not sucking so bad you want to walk? You're basically gambling at least a half a years pay on it.

With how little information we're getting, not very likely for either of those. Probably can't talk too much publicly about rumours and hearsay, but the options laid out are:

a) Take the lucrative buyout, have a job for a couple of months before the calculated exit date we'll know months in advance.
b) Don't take the payout, have no idea what job you're gonna be doing in six months, or even if you'll have a job. If your position is gone, probably the standard severance of two weeks per year of work, no six month bonus.

I also have no idea what avenues of education are lucrative right now, so I'm gonna have to do a lot of research before the deadline in two weeks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

a) Take the lucrative buyout, have a job for a couple of months before the calculated exit date we'll know months in advance.

This sounds like a pretty good deal, given the situation.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2022

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't think I can post pictures from work outside of TCC, at least until July...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I thought this was a pretty interesting "where are they now" (spoiler: near destitute) type article about the dude who made the grizzly fighting suit. Interesting character.

http://nationalpost.com/feature/he-was-a-viral-sensation-before-the-internet-cheapened-that-status

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Butcher posted:

I thought this was a pretty interesting "where are they now" (spoiler: near destitute) type article about the dude who made the grizzly fighting suit. Interesting character.

http://nationalpost.com/feature/he-was-a-viral-sensation-before-the-internet-cheapened-that-status

Last I heard he got a bunch of life saving money for some reason and promptly blew out on another bear suit

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
God bless you crazy bear fighting suit and soldier hard case armor with a penis compass man.

In a just world you'd not be poor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

God bless you crazy bear fighting suit and soldier hard case armor with a penis compass man.

In a just world you'd not be poor.

This but with bear fighting armour instead of violin playing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coxswain Balls posted:

With how little information we're getting, not very likely for either of those. Probably can't talk too much publicly about rumours and hearsay, but the options laid out are:

b) Don't take the payout, have no idea what job you're gonna be doing in six months, or even if you'll have a job. If your position is gone, probably the standard severance of two weeks per year of work, no six month bonus.

I also have no idea what avenues of education are lucrative right now, so I'm gonna have to do a lot of research before the deadline in two weeks.

It's always possible you'll find yourself unable to find gainful employment in a few months, but if so you'd be in the same place if you get laid off. If you're not drat sure you're keeping your job, take the buyout. At least that way you'll be getting months of pay for free.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 31, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/journo_dale/status/958422903657246720
https://twitter.com/stephenlautens/status/958510676401577984

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/958497973809352706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

I think the real question is: Would you fire three rounds at someone who tried to steal them?

I do think its pretty interesting how far this case has already changed. Most people in this thread seemed to believe the initial story from the family and friends that he just was trying to fix a flat tire.I had my doubts this guy wasn't a KKK grand master and wasn't shooting a random native trying to fix a tire. Its obviously a lot more grey of a situation. The landowner seems like a real jackass for bringing his pistol out, but what we will probably never know is if he attacked him while Boushie was fleeing or not. Tragic situation all around, and no matter the result it wont help race relations. Its too bad those kids were drinking and driving and robbing from farm to farm that day. And its 100x times worse that farmer decided to take a gun out when he was being stolen from.